Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Nintendo Switch

Postby mrandyk » Mon May 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Anyone play Arms this weekend? Can't say I enjoyed it. Controlling the game was a chore. Motion controls aren't reliable and even with the button controls I had a hell of time hitting anything. Maybe I just suck.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 pm

mrandyk wrote: Anyone play Arms this weekend? Can't say I enjoyed it. Controlling the game was a chore. Motion controls aren't reliable and even with the button controls I had a hell of time hitting anything. Maybe I just suck.

It's a twin stick fighting game like Virtual On. Just use the analog triggers.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby myshtuff » Mon May 29, 2017 4:24 pm

mrandyk wrote: Anyone play Arms this weekend? Can't say I enjoyed it. Controlling the game was a chore. Motion controls aren't reliable and even with the button controls I had a hell of time hitting anything. Maybe I just suck.

The times to play were so stupid so I couldn't get to it. Fucking Christ Nintendo stop this one hour beta bullshit. As much as Nintendo is great they really need to join everyone else in the 21st century with online gaming Norms and expectations.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 29, 2017 7:10 pm

The first time I just got to through the tutorial.
THe second time I played almost an hour, I didn't got used to the game per se, but I picked up the pace with the controls.
The third time I also played almost an hour, and I had looked in the internet how the "rules" were, it was pretty damn fun (also the second time was fun, but just throwing shit around).

The game requires quite a bit of strategy and domain of the terrain, basically it's a rock papers sissors type of deal:
Blocking wins against punches.
Throws wins against blocking.
Punching wins against throws.

Now I'm going to play it finally on a big screen. I'm really liking it, but I'd never thought I could pay 60 bucks for a fighting game.

myshtuff wrote:
The times to play were so stupid so I couldn't get to it. Fucking Christ Nintendo stop this one hour beta bullshit. As much as Nintendo is great they really need to join everyone else in the 21st century with online gaming Norms and expectations.

It makes it kinda special, and most of the times games don't have open online betas for free. I'll take what I can get.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby myshtuff » Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 pm

Honestly it's not even the beta anymore. It's just Nintendo's online capabilities in general. They're so bad and behind the times. I don't get why they still can't get it right.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 12:00 am

Well, all their online have been working pretty great as for now.

But yes, they're basically behind the OG xbox in terms of online, the store doesn't even have ratings, needing a cellphone for fucking voice chat ??? (and apparently it's just going to be friends only), even the DS4 have a phone/mic input, and friend codes ?? WTF.

But the only explanation is that nintendo is nintendo (and it's a shitty explanation as they come), the lack of media reproduction/web browser it's just baffling (even if they rushed the product to market). Trying to go for a premium online service when all they have to offer is 20 year old games ?? Hopefully they'll sort things out, but most companies have sorted those things out like 10 years ago.

Yes, nintendo has lagged a lot behind time.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Tue May 30, 2017 12:52 am

myshtuff wrote:

I agree, but you can still play the game whenever you want against CPUs. Good if you want to try it out.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 1:07 am

Did I miss something ? The beta is online only, I get kicked out if it's not on at the times assigned.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 4:50 am

Also coming to PS4. New RPG from Square,
phpBB [video]

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, TwiceFriedRice
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Raithos » Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 am

Nice! I liked I Am Setsuna a lot. I've been waiting to see what these guys were up to. Looks like its already listed on the SE web store so I won't have to import a physical copy for this one like I did Setsuna on Switch.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 am

Platinum Games Head Producer Atsushi Inaba recently spoke with Famitsu at A 5th of Bit Summit who talks about how much he is enjoying playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on his Switch and how it is also a good fit for indie games and for future games. Onto how the Switch fits in with Platinum Games plans…

How’s the compatibility with Platinum Games?

“I think it’s good. We’ve also already declared we’re going to participate. During the announcement event of Nintendo Switch, there’s the Platinum Games logo showing up secretly.’

Is something happening?

"We’re creating it, you know. I think it’s going to be interesting.”

Okey, bring it on.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: sand4fish
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 30, 2017 11:11 am

^ I'd buy a Switch right away if they port back at least Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2. Basically it was Platinum games that got me to buy a WiiU.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrandyk » Tue May 30, 2017 8:26 pm

myshtuff wrote:

Agreed. I tried to play it and had to Google why I was getting an error. What possible reason could they have for limiting playing to one hour and at specific times? They're Nintendo, I guess...
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Raithos » Tue May 30, 2017 11:38 pm

mrandyk wrote:What possible reason could they have for limiting playing to one hour and at specific times? They're Nintendo, I guess...

Server tests. They wanted the most traffic they could get at specific times to monitor the data. Other games just have large open betas but something like this (and Splatoon) aren't on systems with 40+ million units in the wild or on PC. Sucks if their times don't match up with your schedule (they didn't for me, I didn't get to try it) but that's why they do it.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 pm

phpBB [video]

Ok then...
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist