Shenmue Goodies on VMU -- Help!

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue Goodies on VMU -- Help!

Postby Telekill » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Hey all!

I've been trying to get Shenmue Goodies onto my VMU and failing miserably. I discovered that there is a program called Dream Explorer thanks to the Youtube video of Shenmue Goodies that is supposed to have all the files on it. The program is supposed to run as a self-boot directly on the Dreamcast system and allow you to do various things with the VMU including put Shenmue Goodies with ALL files on the memory card.

Here's where the problem comes into play.

The only ISO's of Dream Explorer I've been able to find directly link back to the creator of it on the Blue Swirl site. I've since downloaded the ISO and followed the directions to burn a CD with the program on it, but it never seems to work. I've tried using their older version of Disc Juggler that was recommended but it's not Windows 10 compatible so I'm screwed there. I also tried downloading the newest version of Disc Juggler but that one didn't burn the program correctly either.

For whatever reason, the ISO just isn't working on the discs that I burn and the only thing I'm wanting off of it is Shenmue Goodies. Considering that the servers have long since been taken down, the traditional method using the Passport Disc is obviously not an option. I did notice that there is a guy on etsy.com that has the discs for sales at $20/ea but he can't verify if the Shenmue Goodies files are even on the disc and I don't want to spend $20 for nothing.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: Shenmue Goodies on VMU -- Help!

Postby Calshot » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 am

What kind of CDs are you using?

You could just be using CD-RWs, which the Dreamcast can't read.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Switch » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:09 am

Telekill, in case you are interested this thread has some information about the Shenmue Goodies and a new VMU emulator than can be used to view them through emulation.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48925#p1114150

By the way, I ran up Dream Explorer in an emulator and the disc actually only contains around 200 of the goodies characters, not the full set of 400 (the others don't appear to be available readily anywhere).
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Telekill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm using CD-R's; not the RW's. I double checked before burning.

I'll see if I can download the program again using the link within the link that you provided Switch. Thanks for that.

If all else fails, I suppose that I'll just load up all the files onto the VMU emulator on my phone and have it that way.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Return to Shenmue