Unused notebook text?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Unused notebook text?

Postby Resident Joel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 pm

It is more than likely this has already been covered, but I can't find it so...

While looking through some Shenmue code files the other day I was looking at the notebook text. Right at the end was two entries that you never actually get to view in the game (at least to my knowledge) so why would they have been included in code? The entries are:

Nozomi gave me
an amulet

Take care, Nozomi
and everyone...

Master Chen gave
me a letter of
introduction for
Tao Li Shao-san,
a martial arts
master who lives
in Hong Kong.

------------------------------------

I guess it kind of explains the amulet thing you start with in Shenmue II. But am just curious about this above anything...
Resident Joel
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Ryo Hazukki » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:00 pm

Those entries are in the notebook in Shenmue II. ;)
Ryo Hazukki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Unused notebook text?

Postby Kiyuu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:38 pm

Resident Joel wrote:It is more than likely this has already been covered, but I can't find it so...

While looking through some Shenmue code files the other day I was looking at the notebook text. Right at the end was two entries that you never actually get to view in the game (at least to my knowledge) so why would they have been included in code? The entries are:

Nozomi gave me
an amulet

Take care, Nozomi
and everyone...

Master Chen gave
me a letter of
introduction for
Tao Li Shao-san,
a martial arts
master who lives
in Hong Kong.

------------------------------------

I guess it kind of explains the amulet thing you start with in Shenmue II. But am just curious about this above anything...

You've heard about "the missing Chapter 2: the Boat," haven't you? If not, check this out:

http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/foru ... hp?t=12943

Those entries were included to view on the boat, that's why, I believe. ;)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Resident Joel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:11 am

Chris Magill wrote:Those entries are in the notebook in Shenmue II. ;)

I just checked and they are not... not in the Dreamcast version anyway..

Kiyuu wrote:You've heard about "the missing Chapter 2: the Boat," haven't you? If not, check this out:

Thanks for that! I knew of the missing chapters as I had seen the comic strips before, however I didn't know they were originally intended as chapters for the actual game. Does that mean that the boat chapter was intended for the end of Shenmue 1? as the notebook text is included in the first game's code.

Well, I hope the code for the cut chapters has been kept by the nice people at Sega. I'm sure they won't be able to resist using it for the Shenmue 1-3 game that they are obviously putting together. ;)
Resident Joel

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:04 am

Resident Joel wrote:
Kiyuu wrote:You've heard about "the missing Chapter 2: the Boat," haven't you? If not, check this out:

Thanks for that! I knew of the missing chapters as I had seen the comic strips before, however I didn't know they were originally intended as chapters for the actual game. Does that mean that the boat chapter was intended for the end of Shenmue 1? as the notebook text is included in the first game's code.

Well, I hope the code for the cut chapters has been kept by the nice people at Sega. I'm sure they won't be able to resist using it for the Shenmue 1-3 game that they are obviously putting together. ;)

I heard that originally they didn't have an intention to make the first game to cover
Chapter 1 only. As the Chapter getting bigger with lots of additions, they've decided
to release it as a separate game, it seems. You may know that Chai's model is found
among the data of Shenmue II, for Chapter II, most likely. It seems there was a little
confusion when they drew the line between Shenmue and Shenmue II. ;)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby HappyKillmore » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Still really don't get it though, why remove the chapter? and the tiger gate building? it all seems so pointless. :?:
HappyKillmore
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: big_g_mcfc
XBL: DerK0mmissar
Steam: kingkong001
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: With Myself

Postby VGAce » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:06 am

Chi-You-Man wrote:Still really don't get it though, why remove the chapter? and the tiger gate building? it all seems so pointless.

It's just a natural part of making a game. Things are removed and added as development advances. Sometimes these things are minor and sometimes pretty major, but they're all ultimately removed for a reason. These reasons are usually not explained to regular gamers, but there are always guesses.

Chapter 2 was likely removed from Shenmue for pacing reasons. There's a nice synchronicity between the end of Shenmue I and the beginning of Shenmue II, and throwing another chapter inbetween that - one that really has nothing to do with the core storyline - would totally mess the pacing up. It was a cool idea during the planning stages, I imagine, but as Suzuki and AM2 started to put the game together in earnest they probably realized there just wasn't a good place for this "mini-chapter" and had to cut it.

An artist almost never creates a piece of art without changing some things around before the final outcome.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Andreas » Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm

it's interesting. because these pages can be found in Shenmue 1 in the game. (add or change their code.) Why not add in walkthroghs?
Andreas
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue