Variations of the patch image on the front of Ryo's jacket..

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Variations of the patch image on the front of Ryo's jack

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:19 pm

The picture you see is the high res jacket texture from Shenmue 1, directly ripped from the game. Not sure which version is exactly used where, but supposedly inside the hazuki residence and in the passport talking heads higher resolution textures were used from what i remember. I didn't check in-game though, but if ya lookup pictures on google you can also witness the "flag" version in many screenshots. Maybe it even varies during gameplay depending on which model was used.

My guess is that it is an overlooked thing, noone noticed - not the developers, not quality control or magazines and not even the players. Well until you came around with it i guess.

In SEGA all-stars racing they used the "H S" patch interestingly. Why the patch was changed so often during development remains a mystery.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby wude » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:30 pm

this one from the hires model in what's shenmue
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby johnvivant » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:22 pm

i think i'm convinced that the 'knight chess piece' is the oldest design

check out this early ingame beta shot from shenmue 2

they then moved onto the flags which appears all the way through shenmue 1.

then they moved onto the black unicorn in shenmue 2 (but with occasional appearances of the flags). the unicorn design was however existent in the shenmue 1 era as shown by its appearance in shenmue 1 cover art.

and with the general shenmue artwork its all over the place with the flags and the unicorn design appearing randomly. it seems that there is no artwork that includes the chess piece design however. if anyone finds any then post it.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby nskachu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:21 am

Chess piece? This looks definately like a bird for me.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby johnvivant » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:16 pm

i know this is not a official artwork but the artist has attempted to draw his interpretation of this mysterious 3rd patch which we can't make heads or tails of.

its looks like either an elephant or duck in a vase.... i assume the artist is japanese so maybe he 's seen design before? or maybe he was just as puzzled...

by the way what does ビンズビーン mean? internet search not helping...

edit - ビンズビーン -looks like its those floating things in space harrier that you win at the capsule toy machine. those were common from what i remember.
does the word mean anything else?

johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rakim » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:44 pm

binsbein. I don't think it means anything. Just the name of that bastardized mirrorball you have to fight in Space Harrier.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby johnvivant » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Rakim wrote: binsbein. I don't think it means anything. Just the name of that bastardized mirrorball you have to fight in Space Harrier.

i think i understand it now, Ryo is giving a look of trepidation to the Capsule toy dispenser fearing he will get another Binsbein figurine of which he a already has a million- i remember now how annoyingly common they were.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Fenix » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:26 pm

I looked carefuly and I can now say that the knight piece is used in the firsts renders of the game, the flags are from Shenmue 1 and the horse is used for Shenmue 2.

The knight use the best texture for the jacket. It's about 512x512 or 512x256 (I used this one for my GTA version of Ryo) if I am remebering correctly while the flags are 128x128. I could confirm these sizes later.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Miles Prower » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:11 am

Wow, I had no idea What's Shenmue had a different design for the emblem! Very odd that it fluctuated so much between the artwork/games...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Previous

Return to Shenmue