shenmue disc 1

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

shenmue disc 1

Postby dbzruler88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:53 pm

so i bought a new dreamcast today, and i already had a copy of shenmue (with disc 2 missing, long story on that), so i was going to start playing shenmue until i get to disc 2, i bought another copy of disc 2 online so by the time i get to it i should have the 2nd disc.

but...

disc 1 won't load now. and i can't find anywhere online where you can buy a replacement disc 1. i went to the local video rental place and they cleaned up the disc and everything for me, still nothing. i put it in, then after it says sega, it routes me back to the dreamcast menu.

so i guess i have a couple questions, is there a way to fix this problem? and if not, does anybody have a copy of disc 1 that they would be willing to part with? thanks.
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: jeremylovesanna
XBL: jeremylovesanna
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Re: shenmue disc 1

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:03 pm

dbzruler88 wrote: so i bought a new dreamcast today, and i already had a copy of shenmue (with disc 2 missing, long story on that), so i was going to start playing shenmue until i get to disc 2, i bought another copy of disc 2 online so by the time i get to it i should have the 2nd disc.

but...

disc 1 won't load now. and i can't find anywhere online where you can buy a replacement disc 1. i went to the local video rental place and they cleaned up the disc and everything for me, still nothing. i put it in, then after it says sega, it routes me back to the dreamcast menu.

so i guess i have a couple questions, is there a way to fix this problem? and if not, does anybody have a copy of disc 1 that they would be willing to part with? thanks.

It's your Dreamcast. One of the more common issues with DC is the lense starts to fail only reads some games but not others then stops readings games period.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znNqDkwDdmA[/youtube]

Bluecast has received a thanks from: dbzruler88
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby dbzruler88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:25 pm

so you're saying i should probably exchange this dreamcast out for another since i still have the receipt then?
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah. It's one of the most common issues. In 2002 I went through 3 DC's because of that.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby dbzruler88 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:16 am

well i went and exchanged the dreamcast, came back home and it still is not working to read the disc. i tried doing what that video said, still nothing, tried that for the last 3 hours, still nothing. so i think i am out of luck.
dbzruler88
Atheist Activist
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Ditch the GD-ROM drive, as it is obsolete and cannot really be replaced indefinitely. It is only an unnecessary data storage medium. Instead, convert your DC to use SD cards, and rip Shenmue to them.

http://the-dreamcast-junkyard.blogspot. ... aptor.html
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Yeah, the SD card investment seems like a good one. Though, I prefer physical media.

Still, think about it. You could play Shenmue full English perfect rip on Dreamcast with nothing downsampled with use of the SDcard. Impossible with 80min CD-Rs.

But I think load times on the SD is much slower and frame-rate may drop, which is one of the reasons I have not invested in one yet.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Right, there's definitely going to be a bottleneck, but it's worth a try.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Ziming » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:56 am

dbzruler88 wrote: so i guess i have a couple questions, is there a way to fix this problem? and if not, does anybody have a copy of disc 1 that they would be willing to part with? thanks.

I've got some extra copies I burned onto CD-R you can have. Send me a PM.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Return to Shenmue