Shenmue Emulation

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue Emulation

Postby cleaver » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 am

Hello everyone

I have the Dreamcast but the monitor I have only has an HDMI input. I'd love to play Shenmue which sucks because I'd rather play it on the Dreamcast with no glitches. NullDC would be great if it was a little less glitchy.

NullDC
-Ryo's hair is transparent
-Shadows look terrible. They flicker and have this weird geometric...wireframe...it's hard to explain.
But if you turn them off that all goes away, there are some shadows left that flicker.

Demul
-Black lines across the geometry of Ryos face and body.
-Some slowdon
-Can't seem to get it in 4:3 fullscreen (It's either really squished or stretched)

NullDC would be awesome, better than playing on the Dreamcast if those two problems were fixed and the widescreen option wasn't so glitchy because it would be high definition Shenmue!

Demul, I'm sure there's a way around the 4:3 issue, could deal with the minor slowdown in some spots it's just the lines across the models faces that makes me go back to NullDC.

I'm sure you people at the Dojo can tell me what I should do.
And in a nutshell my question is what is the best way to play Shenmue on the PC?

Also I have one more question, is there a way to transfer Ryo's moves to Shenmue II now?

Here are my systems specs

Intel i5 3.2ghz (4 CPUs)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
12 GB RAM

PS: I see people on youtube playing Shenmue on Demul without any problems like the one I describe. And after a lot of searching I can't find anyone else that has posted this problem so that's why I posted this.
cleaver
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue Emulation

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 am

Just get a CRT at a thrift store for 10$
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Radar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:41 am

I don't remember too much glitches actually...

-Shadows look terrible. They flicker and have this weird geometric...wireframe...it's hard to explain.
But if you turn them off that all goes away, there are some shadows left that flicker.

Try different Z-buffer mode

-Ryo's hair is transparent

Not so much, really :) I don't think it is can be such important reason not to play on emulator. On NullDC you can play in 16:9 with extra geom option and with full HD resolution which is awesome.
P.S: Also you can't play Space harrier!
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby cleaver » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 am

I'm not sure if this is possible but I have PAL versions of 1 & 2.
The version of 1 has the starting screen with US in the title screen, if you press start the subtitles turn to Japanese. Anyway I'm wondering if my save will transfer over? Or is that only possible in the Japanese versions

PS: You're right it's not that bad, I got far in it and got used to it. There's just something about playing it on the actual system, controller with the VMU and everything
cleaver
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Return to Shenmue