Shenmue groundbreaking visuals

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue groundbreaking visuals

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:45 pm

With a new Generation starting and as the realism in games is getting closer to reality. We now take for granted HD and incredible detail in games from character models to environments.

It's easy to forget how amazing it was in 1999.

Let's look at some 1998 releases on PSone/N64 and PC. These were some of the better looking games on their respected systems.

N64

PC

PSone

Now you also have to remember we went from Final Fantasy VI to Final Fantasy VII and Link to the Past to Ocarina of time so back then the jumps were massive. It was very hard to imagine any game having graphics like Myst without pre-rendered backgrounds.

Even PC where Half Life was a great looking game then for the first and to my memory but maybe wrong was the first tie a console had something better looking and even then for the first time with Soul Calibur looked better than the Arcade version. A first ever.

So we these those samples and jump to Shenmue
ImageImageImage

Now of course we think more powerful hardware better visuals. It was not just the horsepower of DC alone showing muscle. It was also something then that was more rare and now taken for granted. Detail. We are of course well versed on the detail it has. Ryo and his hands and jacket to the environments and everything in them. NPC's even had an absurd amount of detail. Take the old lady at the beginning.. she is seen for what 2 minutes in the entire game?

So while yes now she looks well in a sense ironically old. Visuals not aged well and look old. Then for an NPC esp one on for such a small amount of time is pretty impressive. She has as much detail as the NPCs you see daily and she does not appear again in the game. Now of course voice work for 500 characters and 500 NPC is another topics how impressive this was.

Then of course you have an NPC also not important but can interact with at any time

The careful detail to his face and hair and soft shadows and from what I remember even his lip movement was pretty impressive. I pick him as to me always stood out as the best looking on Dobuita street. I know that now we have the tech where this guy could be in the bleacher section of Madden and have as much detail.

The jump was so large that back then people thought the screenshots were CG. They had to clarify it here in this Magazine article that this is real time and not CG.(in fact in another article from a different mag had to do the same for Sonic Adventure,so much so they went into great detail how to tell the difference)

To me the only thing that has really aged in this game is some texture work but the game would still look amazing in HD case in point
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=41102&start=390

Now of course the game was very impressive in many other ways. I think now in hindsight with the details games use today,it's one of those things you look back sand say..wait this was 1999..bullshit they didn't have that back then.I do believe all the detail and careful work done holds up pretty well 14 years later.
Last edited by Bluecast on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluecast has received 4 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Giorgio, Raging Drunk, wude
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Shenmue Half Life and a cat

Postby nskachu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:52 am

I especially liked the detail of the homeless bro at the harbour.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Re: Shenmue Half Life and a cat

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:15 pm

:lol: Yeah Ryo is pretty damn thick. Asking a homeless guy where to get a job.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Shenmue groundbreaking visuals

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:35 am

Shenmue was simply ahead of its time and yes still holds up well today.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 am

Shenmue is timeless, it just doesn't age as other games do. Of course it doesn't push as much polygons and textures around as games now but the attention to detail and the sheer amount of it is still up to date and many games still don't reach it. Shenmue sure was way ahead of it's time!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby gabril » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm

thanks for this comparision... sure.. Shenmue was a truely masterpiece, honestly if it will come again to the market, it will not match comparing to actual games.. it's still to superior in my opinion
gabril
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Europa Universalis4

Postby gokaiblue » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 pm

The fact that it has aged very well not only shows the raw horsepower of the Dreamcast, but it also shows just how much detail went into it. These designers slaved over every single detail of the game. This game also has no glitches(from my experience at least), which meant even mre care went into it. Shenmue is a work of pure genius.
gokaiblue
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: GokaiBlue16
Steam: gokaiblue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue