In-Game Ryo vs Promo Ryo

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Which version of Ryo do you prefer? (Total votes: 26)

In-Game Ryo
62%
Passport/Promo Ryo
15%
SASASR Ryo
8%
Saturn Ryo
8%
I can't tell the difference...
8%

In-Game Ryo vs Promo Ryo

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Summat that's always bugged me about Shenmue is that Passport/Promo/SASASR Ryo looks like a completely different person than the Ryo we see in game. Sure, they look similar in ways, but I've never really been a fan of the higher res version. Dunno if anyone feels the same, but when we eventually do get Shenmue III, I'm a little uneasy about the thought of it "not being Ryo". Gonna be having the same thing with Sam Fisher in Blacklist.

Do you feel the same/similar? And if so, which one do you prefer?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: In-Game Ryo vs Promo Ryo

Postby mrslig100 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 pm

I picked SASASR Ryo just cuz it sounds swaggy!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:01 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Summat that's always bugged me about Shenmue is that Passport/Promo/SASASR Ryo looks like a completely different person than the Ryo we see in game. Sure, they look similar in ways, but I've never really been a fan of the higher res version. Dunno if anyone feels the same, but when we eventually do get Shenmue III, I'm a little uneasy about the thought of it "not being Ryo". Gonna be having the same thing with Sam Fisher in Blacklist.

Do you feel the same/similar? And if so, which one do you prefer?

I feel the same way. I especially don't like the SASASR Ryo. I prefer in-game Ryo.
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:16 am

Project Berkley/Saturn isn't Ryo. It's Akira since the game was originally a spinoff of VF and only later in development for DC was changed to Ryo and to Shenmue.

Passport Ryo just looks really weird esp the lips. Prefer in game Ryo the best. Also when they did the CGI for Shenmue online all the characters did not look right. Looked kinda crap TBH.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 am

No, Saturn Ryo is Ryo.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:12 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, Saturn Ryo is Ryo.

It's Akira. Even wearing Akira's band just like in project Berkley. Was not until later in DC development it was changed to Shenmue and Akira was changed in Ryo. One of the reasons the promo of Berkley came with VF3tb in Japan as then it was still known as Virtua Fighter RPG. Can even find Akira's bag in Ryo's closet. They later changed it in development and the closest thing we got to the original project was Virtua Fighter Quest but only to have Akira have a cameo only.

EDIT: here http://shenmuedojo.net/new/history/shenmuesaturn.html
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:33 am

That page is well outdated, as with a lot of he pages on the main site. It stopped being Akira when it changed from Virtua Fighter RPG to Project Berkley, which happened about midway through developing the Saturn version. They referred to the character as Akira as a placeholder name as it was what they were used to. Even Ryo's model in Shenmue is tagged Akira. Saying it wasn't Ryo's like saying Jumpman wasn't Mario.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: nskachu
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:46 am

No you're wrong. It's not outdated when the developers say it was. I don't care if he said it in 1998 or 2008. It's just a fact. If you don't know that and like usual you don't know gaming knowledge very well and in this case don't know Shenmue knowledge very well.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 am

lol, what the hell is wrong with you? It was stated in a joint interview between Yu n some other dude around the time Shenmue II got released. Lau Chan was supposed to be the villain, but they began changing each individual character til it got to the point where they scrapped the idea of a VF RPG and completely revised the whole project. That's when it officially became "Project Berkley" and they were no longer shackled by the pre-existing story of Virtua Fighter.

The fact that Iwao's ji doesn't read "Yuki" in the Shenmue Saturn video proves this.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:16 am

I was gonna say Ryudo was full of shit because I agree with what Mittenz said about the transition to Project Berkley. However, I looked back at the Saturn bonus video you get after beating the second game to see if I could find any evidence and got this:

His shirt definitely doesn't say Hazuki(芭月), but if you squint hard enough you can't make out that it does in fact have the characters for Akira's family name Yuki(結城).

Rakim has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:51 am

I like the in-game Ryo the most.
I have the same impressions as the others here regarding the passport model. That Ryo just looks way different for reasons I never understood. The other characters look just like their in game models with higher quality but Ryo has so many features different. The lips, the eyes and the facial structure itself is slightly different.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby QWERTY » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:07 am

Ryudo wrote: Project Berkley/Saturn isn't Ryo. It's Akira since the game was originally a spinoff of VF and only later in development for DC was changed to Ryo and to Shenmue.

Oh, wow. News to me. I'm so glad you brought that to my attention. I'd never have found that out otherwise, apart from reading it in gaming magazines over 10 years ago.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:27 am

Rakim wrote: I was gonna say Ryudo was full of shit because I agree with what Mittenz said about the transition to Project Berkley. However, I looked back at the Saturn bonus video you get after beating the second game to see if I could find any evidence and got this:

His shirt definitely doesn't say Hazuki(芭月), but if you squint hard enough you can't make out that it does in fact have the characters for Akira's family name Yuki(結城).

Mittenz still isn't wrong though

http://virtuafighter.wikia.com/wiki/Akira_Yuki

as you can see the story of Project berkley is still different to that of that of Akiras and is everything shenmue but in name. the so called "akira" in project berkley is Ryo and no longer the Akira from Virtua fighter

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:21 pm

I unno, I liked passport ryo. He looked more realistic
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"