Shenmue HD...What Happened????

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue HD...What Happened????

Postby we420 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:05 pm

So a little while back when all of these Dreamcast games were being remade in HD we were all cheering for Shenmue. I remember one of the people in SEGA said they may or may not be working on Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia (He had the "We are making it" look on his face). But what I wanna know is what happened? Was SEGA bluffing, yanking our chain, trolling, or was the idea canned. Shenmue 1 & 2 HD is our best chance at SIII (Has been said a billion times) and they can't just let it slip down the drain.
we420
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: silva340
XBL: we420
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Yakuza 6/God of War

Re: Shenmue HD...What Happened????

Postby BlueMue » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:08 am

They were trolling. If they had anything done by that interview it would've showed up by now.
Sega is either ignoring Shenmue HD for stupid reasons or they are held back because they are dealing with the license, just like I suggested as the reason why Ryo isn't in Transformed.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:33 am

If Sega wanted to do something with Shenmue there'd be no talk about licenses. They're not going to release control of the IP and then suddenly think, "Oh shit! We could have re-released those in HD! Now what are we gonna do?" It would be happening already.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:08 am

I have a feeling that if it was in production, it would've been around the time Sony and MS were revealing plans to publishers of their next gen consoles. Maybe they felt HD remakes would be better served at the beginning of a consoles life span. That's the optimistic way of looking at it.

The pessimistic outlook is that the guy was just bein a nob end n tryna get people excited about SEGA again. He realistic viewpoint is that he was just genuinely enthusiastic that day - explaining the look on his face - and he innocently stated that Shenmue & SoA are the most requested DC re-releases.

Hell, he coulda heard a whisper or two about em both, actual plans/pitches to put them into development only to be turned down by whoever made the final decision.

At the end of the day though, a Shenmue HD would lead to more Shenmue III requests, something I don't believe SEGA has the means to support atm (I'm not just talking about money here), so they would probably hold out until they're confident that they can reboot/reinstate the franchise.

Either way, the guy's pretty much just Adam Doree's successor by the looks of things.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:48 am

I bought the rights and said FUCK YOU!
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:36 pm

What happens with everything with Shenmue on it. Funny because I just saw this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1GrOogfE6U

It's supposed to be a "leaked" confirmation of Shenmue HD, probably fake.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: What happens with everything with Shenmue on it. Funny because I just saw this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1GrOogfE6U

It's supposed to be a "leaked" confirmation of Shenmue HD, probably fake.

Its a hacked image that can be obtained using a jtag xbox 360. Sorry guys but this is 100% fake.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 am

Video removed. The guy that correctly leaked a bunch of games for XBLA leaked this as well. A year later the reports came out saying the ports had been finished for over a year.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Return to Shenmue