Playing Shenmue for 25 hours straight for Extra Life

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Playing Shenmue for 25 hours straight for Extra Life

Postby Crazyreyn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 am

Hi everyone,

Myself and a friend Robert Lane (@lanerobertlane) are participating in a 25 hour gaming marathon for charity Extra Life tomorrow (Saturday, 2nd through to Sunday 3rd) where we will be playing Shenmue and Shenmue 2 back to back.

It'll be great if you could check out the stream, as we're really keen for Shenmue fans to get involved as we play.

Since 25 hours is really more than enough time to play both games, we want to try exploring them as much as possible, so if people have suggestions for things to check out or challenges to try, then join us on the chat and join in.

(Also, even though I wrote full FAQ/Walkthrough guides on GameFAQs on both games, it's been years since I played them, so the occasional hint won't go amiss!)

The plan is to start the stream at 11am UK time on November 2: http://www.twitch.tv/lanerobertlane

And here's our donation page: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fus ... ntID=53137

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for your time.

Matt

Crazyreyn has received 6 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty, Luvly KM, Perfect_Chaos, wude
Crazyreyn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Playing Shenmue for 25 hours straight for Extra Life

Postby Stocke » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 pm

I actually have a lot of studying to do over the weekend, looks like the perfect thing to put on in the background.

I'll be watching!
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Great idea, good on you. I'll help promote this to other fans, the more you raise the better.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/718211134857595

I'm curious why you've chosen a Canadian charity when you're based in the UK. Do you have roots in Canada?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Crazyreyn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks guys for the support, both here and in the chat!

We're supporting SickKids because that's the recommended international option, apparently, so any money raised will go out to hospitals around the globe.

Should note that we did some last minute research and discovered that Shenmue *alone* can last around 20 hours if you take your time. (I thought it would only be six, but that's what you get when you don't play it for close to a decade!)

So we'll concentrate on that and maybe start the sequel if we have time.

We're almost eight hours in at the time of posting, and I hope everyone's enjoying the stream!
Crazyreyn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:58 pm

I started watching but there was a really annoying constant ringing sound, might want to get that sorted.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crazyreyn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:18 pm

We did a stream reset during the last break to help with some of the audio and visual issues we've been having. Hopefully it's done some good! Let me know if you have any further feedback.

And if anyone did try and donate earlier but couldn't - Extra Life went offline due to a DDoS attack, but it's all up and running now: http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fus ... ntID=53137
Crazyreyn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Crazyreyn wrote:due to a DDoS attack

What a scummy thing to do to a charity fundraising site.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Crazyreyn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Yup :(
Crazyreyn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Crazyreyn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:18 am

We've just finished the game (at 7am UK time)! Thanks to everyone that joined us.

We're going to continue for a little while longer - until midday UK time to finish the full 25 hours - where we'll be playing other Dreamcast games. Feel free to join us and help us decide what to play next!
Crazyreyn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Crazyreyn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:24 am

We changed our mind - because we felt we didn't play enough Shenmue, we've booted up an old Shenmue 2 save (from 2003) and are going to explore Kowloon and locate its arcade games for the final three hours. Again, welcome to join us if you wish!
Crazyreyn
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Return to Shenmue