Shenmue undubbed with japanese voice and eng sub

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue undubbed with japanese voice and eng sub

Postby flacito » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey there guys,

When I first started playing Shenmue on the dreamcast I was about 14, and I was in love with the game, I played them all until the very end about 5 or 6 times, years later (now), I am 23 and wish to play them again, however, my brother sold my dreamcast with all of the games I had (I swear I could kill him).

But anyway, to make a long story short, I decided to get an emulator working; I did, but I couldn't find a good version of Shenmue with Japanese voices and English subtitles (this is really the only way I remember Shenmue, I never played it with Eng voice, not on dreamcast anyway I used PAL version as I live in netherlands).

So I was hoping one of you guys could help me out with my search to this file. Preferably one I could import in an emulator and get playing again, cause damn, those eng voices just messes up the game! :evil:

Thank you so much in advance.
flacito
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Shenmue undubbed with japanese voice and eng sub

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Does this help at all? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46604
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby flacito » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:24 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Does this help at all? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46604

wow yeah, thanks a lot brother! :D smith is a badass indeed! are there any things aside you prefer to play the game with? like is there an optimal setting to play shenmue on nulldc? or do you prefer chakan? and what would be the best gamecontroller to attach to my pc? =D>
flacito

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:00 pm

Depends from person to person, but I prefer playing it with my 360 controller, since it's got a similar layout to the DC controller, you know (A,B,X,Y)?

NullDC is a bit shakey at times with Shenmue. I've never tried Chankast myself, but there's a newer one out too called DEmul which is supposed to be the best working one yet (and outputs really solid visuals):

http://demul.emulation64.com/

I actually need to run through the new translation myself some time, so please give some feedback on it with regards to whatever emulator you are using. It'd be nice to have a particular emulator that the community could recommend to those like yourself which emulator is the best.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby flacito » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Depends from person to person, but I prefer playing it with my 360 controller, since it's got a similar layout to the DC controller, you know (A,B,X,Y)?

NullDC is a bit shakey at times with Shenmue. I've never tried Chankast myself, but there's a newer one out too called DEmul which is supposed to be the best working one yet (and outputs really solid visuals):

I actually need to run through the new translation myself some time, so please give some feedback on it with regards to whatever emulator you are using. It'd be nice to have a particular emulator that the community could recommend to those like yourself which emulator is the best.

Of course! I'm really happy to have found this community as I'm a huge fan of Shenmue, probably the best game I have ever played up until now. I have undying memories of this game, it's fantastic. I hope to get this old feeling back, and if not I'm really tempted to just buy a new dreamcast, and download the games (you can burn them and play them on the DC).

Well, I'm going to download the stuff now, and check out how things are running, you'll find me back in this forum for sure. Glad you could help me out.
flacito

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 pm

No problem. :)

Hope it lives up to those wonderful memories that you have of it. I think you'll find other like minded people here, who love the games.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby flacito » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:16 pm

I just got it booted but the screen is flickering with blue lights and the audio is chopping; any idea what I might be doing wrong / is this a common problem?
flacito

Postby spinksy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:33 am

FINALLY got round to burning this to a disc and playing it - very impressed although half the people I talk to in the game the voice audio isn't there. The characters mouth is moving but no voice (like of you've pressed the A button) bit of a shame as it kinda ruins it.

Anybody else experience this?
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby fischkopf » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:42 am

Henry Spencer wrote:

I tried DeMul. It runs like shit. Seriously. there is no game, I can play at full speed, whereas with NullDC i can play almost any game in 60 fps at high resolution.
fischkopf

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:05 pm

spinksy wrote: FINALLY got round to burning this to a disc and playing it - very impressed although half the people I talk to in the game the voice audio isn't there. The characters mouth is moving but no voice (like of you've pressed the A button) bit of a shame as it kinda ruins it.

Anybody else experience this?

Shenmue Undub has English subtitles and Japanese audios. The English subtitles is the basis of the Japanese audios, in other words the Japanese audios tries to follow the English subtitles. Therefore, when there is an English dialogue for which the Japanese audio has not an corresponding audio file, that means there is nothing to play (and thus hear), so only the dialogue is the output. Hope I didn't confused you...
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:07 pm

DeMul isn't really bad at all. Does a pretty good job with Shenmue II and has some nice filters. Also it supports quicksaves wich is really awesome! On the downside, it likes to freeze when you make a save. You can load it after you restart it but it's still really annoying. Also it doesn't like more that 2x internal resolution on my machine. It crashes if I select anything higher. That limits it to 1280x960 and since it doesn't support true 16:9 either it really loses ground against nullDC.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Return to Shenmue