who plays these games on vga?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

who plays these games on vga?

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 pm

I have vga cable for about 10 years but only in 2011 I started another playthrough of shenmue for the firts time in 7 years and MY GOD!! shenmue on vga is incredible. especially shenmue 2 btw. has anyone else played this on vga? if you haven't it's 100% worth it to play through all of it again and see how beauitful it looks. the green market area in shenmue 2 and the 4th disc are my favorites
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: who plays these games on vga?

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm playing Dreamcast trough VGA since 2007 and I don't wanna go back. The image is sooo much sharper with it.
The Dreamcast generally has a really sharp and vibrant image output, because there is hardly any filtering. Compare it to how the Wii does 480p, looks blurry as shit there! The only downside is that the Dreamcasts nasty dithering becomes very apparent through VGA.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 pm

what is dithering? you mean scanlines? you can get a hanzo vga which removes scanlines on dreamcast.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 pm

No no, dithering is something else. The Dreamcast seems to use ordered dithering (the one in the middle) for reasons I still haven't really figured out. Seems the Power VR2 doesn't have full color and boosts it that way though some blurring (through composite) is needed to create in-between-colors. On VGA the pattern is easy to see and I really dislike it...

And the Hanzo doesn't remove scanlines. It generates them. There are no scanlines when using VGA because the image is progressive.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm

I actually play using the Scart cable. Not bad at all.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm

hmm I don't know what you mean then. all I can say it depends a lot what you use your vga on. I had the best images on a 32inch hdtv from samsung by sitting about 1.5 metre across I think. but on other hdtv's and even computer screens I got terrible images not sharp at all.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Fenix wrote: I actually play using the Scart cable. Not bad at all.

I could never play shenmue or any other dreamcast again through (rgb) scart.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Well. I use a Treamcast to play. Not sure if it has something to do.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 pm

drunkensailor wrote: hmm I don't know what you mean then. all I can say it depends a lot what you use your vga on. I had the best images on a 32inch hdtv from samsung by sitting about 1.5 metre across I think. but on other hdtv's and even computer screens I got terrible images not sharp at all.

I have a 55" TV at a distance of roughly 1 meter and the picture is really sharp so it's very easy to spot that stuff.

Fenix wrote: Well. I use a Treamcast to play. Not sure if it has something to do.

Treamcasts use the guts of actual Dreamcasts, so there couldn't be any differences in image quality. RGB Scart is the best thing besides VGA and has good colors and sharpness. But it can't compete with the progessive VGA image.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby STE C » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:51 pm

I started playing through vga on a crt monitor about 3 years ago and agree its by far the best picture. I did a full test about 2 years ago and done a thread on it if anybody is curious how the DC compares on various tvs/monitors. I own 2 crt monitors now as they don't make them anymore and can be found in charity shops and yard/car boot sales for peaunuts so if you have room its worth getting one. A good scart cable/crt tv is fine but anything less and you re not doing the Dreamcast/SHENMUE justice.
STE C
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: S2

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 pm

There isn't any other way. It's like playing a supported game in 7.1 versus stereo, you simply don't know what you're missing until you go back. I used to use my 4:3 CRT HDTV. I connected VGA to a transcoder which outputted the signal via component, it looked great especially in native 4:3.

Now I use straight VGA to my XBR3 which has a ton of fine tune adjustments available. It looks and performs fantastic.

Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:14 pm

I hate the black borders!

Fenix has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Yama wrote: There isn't any other way. It's like playing a supported game in 7.1 versus stereo, you simply don't know what you're missing until you go back. I used to use my 4:3 CRT HDTV. I connected VGA to a transcoder which outputted the signal via component, it looked great especially in native 4:3.

Now I use straight VGA to my XBR-3 which has a ton of fine tune adjustments available. It looks and performs fantastic.

what tv is that and what is the size? I'm looking for a new tv just to use vga on for my dreamcast since I got a new hdtv but it doesn't have vga connection. I still have an old 42 inch hdtv from samsung that I now use for dreamcast but it looks to outstretched

also what is preferable? led lcd or plasma?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Fenix wrote: I hate the black borders!

You can crop to reduce them, distort the ratio to your liking, etc. I choose not to because I'm an image purist and want everything displayed natively. Such things never bothered me, but to each their own. Most people who despise borders are playing on uncalibrated sets anyway, to them I say "enjoy!"

drunkensailor wrote: what tv is that and what is the size? I'm looking for a new tv just to use vga on for my dreamcast since I got a new hdtv but it doesn't have vga connection. I still have an old 42 inch hdtv from samsung that I now use for dreamcast but it looks to outstretched

also what is preferable? led lcd or plasma?

Sony XBR3 and it's 46". The only upgrade I'd go for at this point is a newer 4K XBR, though they're simply not worth it at this time (for me at least). It's no shock that you don't have VGA, most newer TV's don't and in the past it was a price hike for manufacturing. You could do the option I spoke of above with a transcoder, though won't have any native VGA tweaking options. Still, the signal should look just fine as a quality transcoder takes care of most of that.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 pm

another thing that makes shenmue 2 looks so much better than 1 is good to see on vga is the incredible lightning. one of the best I've ever seen in a game
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue