How does shenmue hold up today?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: How does shenmue hold up today?

Postby ShenSun » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Yama wrote: I found the counters to have an incredibly large window, though maybe it's because I play fighters competitively. Compared to several just inputs like just frame hits and just guards (red parry), you essentially have all day.

What fighting games do you play Yama?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Armbreakfire » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 am

My roommate beat Shenmue today for the first time. We decided to play each others favorite games, so I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 (great game so far btw). He didn't really seem overly enthusiastic about playing the game as I still am today, but by the third disc he was really getting into it. Some of the parts he enjoyed were driving the forklift and learning the new moves. Will he ever love the game as much as me, and probably a lot of you? I doubt it, but that's not to say he didn't enjoy the experience of Shenmue. For many of us, the nostalgia factor is pretty huge in our likeability of the game. While the game has flaws and is outdated, (for example, the dialogue has plenty of room for improvement and there could be more character development) the sincerity, innovation, badassness, impactful music, and nostalgia is all there, and why I still love the game so much today. Although I recognize flaws in the game, I am more than ecstatic, rather bathing in pure bliss when I play the game as is!
Armbreakfire
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: FF7, Sonic Transformed

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:27 am

Yama wrote: I found the counters to have an incredibly large window, though maybe it's because I play fighters competitively. Compared to several just inputs like just frame hits and just guards (red parry), you essentially have all day.

probably that reason. for instance if you are really great at virtua fighter which is incredibly hard, you will find blocking and parying in shenmue very easy. for me virtua fighter is too hard compared to how much time I want to put into it and the move sequences are incredibly hard. therefore shenmue fighting is PERFECT for me. as someone put it virtua fighter light. it's also not as ridiculous as tekken.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:27 am

Armbreakfire wrote: My roommate beat Shenmue today for the first time. We decided to play each others favorite games, so I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 (great game so far btw). He didn't really seem overly enthusiastic about playing the game as I still am today, but by the third disc he was really getting into it. Some of the parts he enjoyed were driving the forklift and learning the new moves. Will he ever love the game as much as me, and probably a lot of you? I doubt it, but that's not to say he didn't enjoy the experience of Shenmue. For many of us, the nostalgia factor is pretty huge in our likeability of the game. While the game has flaws and is outdated, (for example, the dialogue has plenty of room for improvement and there could be more character development) the sincerity, innovation, badassness, impactful music, and nostalgia is all there, and why I still love the game so much today. Although I recognize flaws in the game, I am more than ecstatic, rather bathing in pure bliss when I play the game as is!

you should let him play shenmue 2 after it man. that game I'm sure he will love. much better paced(because the story and setting is set for it)

ff7 is great game, one of better final fantasies
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Personally, i never found virtua fighter to be that difficult. It's probably because ive played fighting games ever since i was a kid.

Somebody provide the frame data and hitboxes for all of Ryo's moves :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:16 pm

I've also played fighting games since a young age, but then they wer 2d fighters. virtua fighter has veyr hard button combinations and timing and you REALLY need to focus on one character and invest time in him or her daily to master it. when I was younger I was more willing to try this.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:59 pm

I always loved 3TB for the sole reason that you can play it to the tempo of a lot of choons and boss the absolute fuckin shit out of it.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenSun » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: I always loved 3TB for the sole reason that you can play it to the tempo of a lot of choons and boss the absolute fuckin shit out of it.

3TB was Awesome.

The dreamcast library of fighting games to this day is unmatched.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yama » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:19 pm

ShenSun wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: I always loved 3TB for the sole reason that you can play it to the tempo of a lot of choons and boss the absolute fuckin shit out of it.

3TB was Awesome.

The dreamcast library of fighting games to this day is unmatched.

Absolutely and it's the soul reason mine will always be near. Having a Naomi in your house is simply the best, period. So much arcade perfect goodness.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Armbreakfire wrote: My roommate beat Shenmue today for the first time. We decided to play each others favorite games, so I'm playing Final Fantasy 7 (great game so far btw). He didn't really seem overly enthusiastic about playing the game as I still am today, but by the third disc he was really getting into it. Some of the parts he enjoyed were driving the forklift and learning the new moves. Will he ever love the game as much as me, and probably a lot of you? I doubt it, but that's not to say he didn't enjoy the experience of Shenmue. For many of us, the nostalgia factor is pretty huge in our likeability of the game. While the game has flaws and is outdated, (for example, the dialogue has plenty of room for improvement and there could be more character development) the sincerity, innovation, badassness, impactful music, and nostalgia is all there, and why I still love the game so much today. Although I recognize flaws in the game, I am more than ecstatic, rather bathing in pure bliss when I play the game as is!

Get him to play 2, 2 is where it's at. He will be a Shenmue freak after that.

DoubleO_Ren has received a thanks from: south carmain
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby spud1897 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:41 pm

In terms of storyline it will always hold up against games. It defined for me how stories should be told in game forms.

In terms of controls yes they are cluncky but it is part of the overall charm. Nothing beats the opening scene!
Graphically yes it does look aged but it still looks pretty good even for a game which is 2 generations old now.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby ShenSun » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:32 pm

Other than the controls, I say it still surpasses alot of the crap that is out these days.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Supa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:36 pm

I think it holds up great. I want to try and play through both of them after this semester is over (super busy finishing up school).
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Previous

Return to Shenmue