How does shenmue hold up today?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

How does shenmue hold up today?

Postby C.. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:14 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to get your opinions/stories on if you think shenmue still holds itself even with today's next gen consoles.
Does the storyline or nostalgia stay with you, is it one of your favourite game series?

I don't mean graphics or anything like that. I want your opinions if shenmue still remains something you play or someone you fell out of love with.

Share your thoughts

Thanks

C.. has received a thanks from: Nahovil
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: How does shenmue hold up today?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:18 pm

A bitter love/hate relationship.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby C.. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:24 pm

What was it you loved about it when you first played it and hate now?
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Still play both games once a year.

Then hate SEGA a little bit more.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Raithos
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby mrslig100 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Shenmue is one of a kind.
I have played countless games similar and not one of those games could be compared side by side.
It carries the burden of knowing that it will never be finished how it started.
Truly a tragic and beautiful part of my life anyway.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby C.. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Number one is still my favourite I completed that around 2001 and shortly bought shenmue II but didn't complete that till a few years ago. There's nothing I dislike about the series but it's purely nostalgia alone that keeps me playing I still enjoy it but it's different.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 pm

To me Shenmue is just a timeless game that doesn't seem to age like other games did and still do.
It was THAT special when it came out. So much that it's still something unique to this day. The attention to detail is so incredible for a game made in the last century. It goes beyond the limits of the graphics itself. The music is also extremely strong and timeless. The free music is just pure magic!

The freedom in the game may not be able to rival todays sandbox games but Shenmue is an action adventure and for that genre it still delivers an incredible amount of ways for the player to spend time with it.

Above all else it's the characters and the story that stand the test of time. The facial animations and the voice acting have aged but the characters are still very believable and just extremely likeable. It might be slow, it may seem boring and it will take a bit of time to get into, but once you reached a certain point you'll just get sucked in this incredible experience.

The game just had a huge impact on me when I played it the first time back in 2000. Like described above it took a bit of time until I got sucked into the vortex of it's magic but then I absolutely fell in love with it. Over time it never got old. On the contrary! I still to this day discover new things, find new ways to enjoy the game and fall in love with it deeper and deeper. It's almost to the point that you could talk about "possesShen". Yeah I know, terrible pun. :lol:

BlueMue has received a thanks from: C..
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 am

I wrote this review in 2011 and it still very well describes my feelings today and how well it holds up

http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/45806 ... iew-149528

graphically on vga the game still looks amazing too(especially city parts like green market). better than sandbox games like elder scrolls and fallout, who look jaggie and not detailed and faces look all the same.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:00 am

Still love it. Gives me the good nostalgia feels every time I play through. I try to limit that to once every couple of years for each game. However I do start to see the flaws each time I play through, but each and every time I finish Shenmue II I am back on here exploring theories and discussing my anger towards Sega.

ShOzO MiZuKi has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Supa
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:46 am

I played yesterday, lol.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby C.. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Did the shenmue series make any of you interested in japanesecor Chinese culture. I remember I was into shenmue 2 and wanted to know about hong kong and the markets, shops etc.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Yeah it did the usual stuff. Made me read all kinds of things about the culture, Kowloon, martial arts and I learned a bit of Japanese while I was at it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:17 pm

There are elements that seem a bit dated and were even clunky back then, but overall I think it holds up great (especially when displayed properly). There is still not a single game that allows for you to closely examine and interact with more real world objects. It's that type of attention to detail that never ages and can't be criticized based on graphical fidelity alone. The art direction is still superb as is the atmosphere and musical scores. Shenmue II of course aged even less as there were so many small yet game changing tweaks for the better.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby C.. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Theres so many Intracacies for example all the rooms when searching for the tapes in that building on shenmue two which I thought was astounding even in today's games I've never seen them go into detail like that
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:27 pm

C.. wrote: Number one is still my favourite I completed that around 2001 and shortly bought shenmue II but didn't complete that till a few years ago. There's nothing I dislike about the series but it's purely nostalgia alone that keeps me playing I still enjoy it but it's different.

I can't help but read your posts in that dude's voice in your avatar and it's absolutely hilarious.

Shenmue truly is one of a kind, played a bunch of great games but there's something about the heart, the level of detail, the music, the times it was created in is even a big factor that just make it stay the best game of all time for me.

I haven't played it in a while like a good 3 or so years and I'll tell ya why; it's like an emotionally abusive ex girlfriend who keeps coming back, she's beautiful and her personality is amazing, every time you see her you instantly fall in love all over again but the problem is she doesn't want to stay with you and she leaves again and you're left with an empty hole in your chest wondering what could've been. Then you get mad at her current Boyfriend (Sega) who she keeps running back to, he just wont let her go. Can't keep going through that shit lol

I'll tell you one thing it made me buy a Dreamcast for it all over again. No game has ever made me go to that extent.
Last edited by DoubleO_Ren on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleO_Ren has received a thanks from: BlueMue
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue