So...Who beat Chai at the arcade in their first playthrough?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

So...Who beat Chai at the arcade in their first playthrough?

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:07 am

There must be somebody on here who has.

It took me 9 years (2009) to find out that beating Chai in the arcade was even possible, since I didn't have access to the internet until then. A combination of spamming mud spider, crawl cyclone and resetting a thousand times and I finally managed to beat that little creep. Totally worth it just for the reactions you get from the Dobuita residents' to Chai when you talk to them.

But anyway, did anyone here manage to do it on their first try? Tell me, make me jealous.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Re: So...Who beat Chai at the arcade in their first playthro

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 am

Didn't even think it was possible? When you think about how tough and hard to hit people like Xiuing is and Jianmin, makes you wonder what the hell is Lan Di going to be like? Will they dumb him down or do you as a player have to become exceptionally good to defeat him? I think there should be two paths to beating him. A cheap QTE path and a path where you defeat him in battle mode that would be very satisfying.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:56 am

Nope, but I ended up doing it on a subsequent playthrough by breaking his arm about 50 times, lol, incredibly satisfying. To this day I don't even know how I was pulling off the move, think it involved the throw button and moving the d-pad a certain way, I was running on instinct with it and the move just kept on coming.

I also broke his neck with 'that' movie a couple times.

ShenmueForeseen has received a thanks from: Chaikilla
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Supa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:04 pm

I have beat him a few times by now, but not in my first several playthroughs.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Pltnm06Ghost » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Nope. However, I DID manage to body Chai with a strand of health left on my 2nd playthrough. I couldn't beat him in the final battle and had to tag my brother in to do it. One of the greatest regrets of my childhood I wish to correct one day. If only the 3rd disc still works I'd redeem myself OTL
Pltnm06Ghost
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Pltnm06Ghost
Nintendo FC: Same as above.
Steam: This too.
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Chrono Phantasma Extend

Postby strider16 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:59 pm

In the FIRST?! The hell not!

He was so invincible that I think at time win him was impossible, and that he was a major villain in the history plot as a whole, some psycho high ranked in Chi You Men, much closer to Lan Di than he actually is.
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby Upstairsmuffin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Eventually I did defeat him but I remember it took a lot of work with training crawl cyclone so so much and resetting my Dreamcast repeatedly until I got it. It's satisfying when you do though, and feels more like that should be the outcome.
It seems pretty random how, if you lose, Fuku-San barges into the arcade just in the nick of time still dressed in his sparring clothes causing Chai to run away and allow Fuku-San to take you to safety.

Upstairsmuffin has received a thanks from: Chaikilla
Upstairsmuffin

XBL: UpstairsMuffin
Steam: UpstairsMuffin

Postby JaySw34 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Upstairsmuffin wrote:
It seems pretty random how, if you lose, Fuku-San barges into the arcade just in the nick of time still dressed in his sparring clothes causing Chai to run away and allow Fuku-San to take you to safety.

It'd be so funny if, when losing that fight, Fuk-san instead just barged in there and beat Chai to a lifeless pulp with a smooth & swift display of ruthless martial arts techniques.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:17 am

Chaikilla wrote:Totally worth it just for the reactions you get from the Dobuita residents' to Chai when you talk to them.

Well I'm sorry to say it, but you can still get the same dialogue from them if you lose.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ceej » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:26 am

I doubt there's very many people that have....it's a really difficult fight and there's nothing that really prepares you for it either. Most of the enemies in free battle prior to Chai go down after a couple kicks.
Ceej

Postby Calshot » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 am

I didn't beat him the first time, but I was pretty young when I first played. When I revisited the game as an adult, I thought the fight was a peace of cake. I didn't even need to cheese him with Crawl Cyclone or anything. Then again, I played Shenmue II way more than I did 1 (my Shenmue II disks worked fine but it took me years for me to get around to buying a replacement Shenmue 1 disks), so I'm used to actually using the parry button.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Mr357 wrote:
Chaikilla wrote:Totally worth it just for the reactions you get from the Dobuita residents' to Chai when you talk to them.

Well I'm sorry to say it, but you can still get the same dialogue from them if you lose.

I'm pretty sure there are some pieces of dialogue with Dobuita residents that are locked out if you lose to Chai but I'd have to play through the game again to be sure.

Upstairsmuffin wrote:

What's cool about this is that if you beat Chai and run back home, Fuku won't be at home (he's not in the dojo either) until 7PM. We all know that he shows up in the arcade if you lose, so him being M.I.A makes a lot of sense. It implies that Fuku tailed Ryo the day of the Arcade fight, which is neat.
Chaikilla

Postby JoshofHeavens » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:30 pm

I didn't know it was possible to beat chai myself until I actually gave it my all. Parrying works wonders against him. He definitely should not take as much damage as he does in the arcade though lol.

And yes, I too will admit to many many resets before actually beating him.
JoshofHeavens
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:33 pm

I read some people have beaten him the first time and were surprised that the fight was way more difficult during their next playthroughs.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Mr357 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:09 am

DoubleO_Ren wrote: Didn't even think it was possible? When you think about how tough and hard to hit people like Xiuing is and Jianmin, makes you wonder what the hell is Lan Di going to be like? Will they dumb him down or do you as a player have to become exceptionally good to defeat him? I think there should be two paths to beating him. A cheap QTE path and a path where you defeat him in battle mode that would be very satisfying.

Or, they could combine the two and make him like Izumi on steroids. A nearly impossible fight with random combo QTE's thrown in there.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue