First time?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

First time?

Postby Heart Of Swords » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:28 pm

I'm sure everyone remembers their first time through Shenmue. What was it like? What were your thoughts, emotions, etc?

My first time through the game started Christmas Day, 2000. I had just gotten the game earlier that morning, and I popped it into my Dreamcast and started it up.

I remember being in awe of the opening movie, and then being even more in awe that the whole game looked like that.

I went around and started talking to people, and was completely lost at everyone's directions. I had never seen any Japanese anime or anything at the time, so whenever they would say like "It went speeding past Sakuragaoka park, on the way to Dobuita" I was like "...slow down. I can't understand you." :lol:

When I finished the game, I was so dissappointed that it ended the way it did. I wanted more. I needed more. So I went online and searched out Shenmue II. I found out that it was coming out here at the end of 2001. And I was happy. Then I found out it wasn't coming out here. And I imported it for $80. And played it. And it was good.
Heart Of Swords
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tim Surway » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:33 pm

the first time on shnmue, oh yeah i remember it well, unforgettable
i remember my sister recommending it as it looked pretty good so i went up the shops and got it, popped it in the drive and like Hoss said i was in awe with the opening movie, oh i remember the first fight QTEi got into,i didnt know what the hell i was doing, the button came up and it took me by surprise and i pressed the blue instead of red, THE BLUE!!, oh man good times
Tim Surway
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby pikecon » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:55 pm

lol i bet I'M not the first one to get the wrong idea when they read the title of this topic 8)
pikecon
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Heart Of Swords » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:56 pm

That was the idea. :lol:
Heart Of Swords
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:59 pm

the first time i played shenmue was i week before christmas.i had popped it into my dreamcast.then i got bored of it for while cause i couldnt find Yamagashi-san! :lol: the a cuple of weeks later i played it again and i finally found the bitch.those qte's got on my nerves but then i got useed to them.the good ol days
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Daemos » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:22 pm

HOSS, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, again? I've lost count how many topics like this I've answered before, so I'll withhold my reply. :)

pikecon wrote:lol i bet I'M not the first one to get the wrong idea when they read the title of this topic 8)

Nope. :lol:
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:51 pm

I can't remember all too well...

I got this the summer before last. I liked it... I did. I never got to any free battles, but played some qte. My first and second copy froze, so I gave up (this past summer, for some bizarre reason, attempted again. Not many problems.)

I was always scared though. The music was a little creepy, and the dogs barking...it kind of creeped me out.

When I started playing again this past summer, I don't remember my feelings too well. But I know I loved it.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rhayno G. » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:38 am

i remember this summer my buddy told me he had a dreamcast. i was just looking at the ign reviews for dc games and noticed shenmue (which i had never heard of) was way up there and the review made it seem interesting. I also noticed my friends collection on ign included shenmue, so i asked to borrow his dc, shenmue and sega gt. The second i started to play i was hooked. It only took me two days to beat and ive been a hardcore fan ever since. Needless to say, after beating shenmue, sega gt flat sucked when i put it in right after the shenmue ending.
Rhayno G.
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:17 am

I also got it on Xmas Day 2000, and to start with, I couldn't find Yamagishi-san, as I kept knocking on his door, not noticing he was round the side :lol:
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Neo-Ryo » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:24 am

I first got mine on xmas 2000 and i spent 6 hours playing it i loved it.
Neo-Ryo
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:04 pm

Miles Prower wrote:I also got it on Xmas Day 2000, and to start with, I couldn't find Yamagishi-san, as I kept knocking on his door, not noticing he was round the side :lol:

:lol:
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Heart Of Swords » Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:47 pm

···wh¡teShådow···[µ] wrote:HOSS, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, again? I've lost count how many topics like this I've answered before, so I'll withhold my reply. :)

Well, it mostly just came to me because I just got my dreamcast back from a friend and started up another game of Shenmue, and I thought it was cool becuase I had played it for the first time 3 years ago, tomorrow.

Still, there are a lot of new people since last time a topic like this was made, so... *shrugs* :D
Heart Of Swords
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Daemos » Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:07 pm

"I see." ;)
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Return to Shenmue