Retro Gamer : The Making of Shenmue

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Retro Gamer : The Making of Shenmue

Postby Andy Hughes » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Went out and bought a copy today just for Shenmue, what a great article :D Love it!
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: My Guitar ;)

Postby Yama » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Andy Hughes wrote:Went out and bought a copy today just for Shenmue, what a great article :D Love it!

I'll definitely do the same if it's an easy find, which it should be. Well done article indeed.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:13 am

A great article through and through, appreciate the level of detail the author included within the piece. I'm going to have to pick up a copy this week for sure.
Sean
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Sandbox

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:21 am

Should subscribe to retro gamer youtube channel.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ZHVnEeKj4[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Axm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Great news guys! I got an email response back from Cole at Retro Gamer.

Hello,

I just wanted to drop you a line to thank you for your e-mail. I really can't articulate how pleased I am to have had my article so warmly received by the Shenmue community. I especially appreciated you taking the time to attempt to contact me, it's honestly going far far beyond anything I could have expected. It really goes to show the character of the Dojo and the community in general. Often times when you see an article written about something with such a devoted following, the community does as certain amount of griping about things left out or little bits of trivia that fail to get a mention. I've seen nothing like that from the Shenmue community at all.

I'm also very pleased that the emotionality of the piece showed through, it was really important to me that people (especially those who may not have played Shenmue) understood just how special I feel the game is. I still feel it stands as one of the best games ever made, not just for the story or for the technological advancements, but because every aspect of the game felt refined and natural.

Anyways, I really just wanted to take a minute to say thank you.

Thanks again,
Cole Machin

Isnt that great? Im glad we were able to show him our appreciation over this. He seems like a really great guy too. And Retro Gamer itself as a Magazine is a real class act aswell. :)
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:45 pm

I wish he could interview Yu Suzuki, so he could actually get some info out of him. SOunds like he'd dedicate himself to 300 ways of asking "Shenmue 3?" Where the hell is YS now, anyway? The man has literally disappeared off the face of the earth. The last interview he had was sometime in 2008, right? #-o
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Supa » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Good article, though I'm surprised and quite disturbed at the fact that Hirai says there was no development beyond Shenmue II..I mean, obviously there's got to be some ground work, but the story about Shenmue III was always that some was developed for the Saturn...hmmm?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby orient » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:51 am

Fantastic effort by Cole and Retro Gamer. I loved the article. It's so rare to read a piece on Shenmue nowadays and find new and interesting information, but they really pulled it off. I loved reading about the more technical side of the project, because the tech is clearly a huge part of what made Shenmue so amazing. The trail of light left by moving vehicles was created in the head programmers spare time...that's the stuff I want to read about, not necessarily the "development nightmare stories" that a few articles have focused on. Don't get me wrong, I want the truth, but I find the actual development far more interesting than the drama surrounding it.
orient
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:05 am

My copy should arrive today. Can't wait to read it..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

Went to Barnes and Noble and they looked it up, haven't received the magazine since 2007 they said. However it may be store independent, I'm doubting it'll be too different as it is a chain. Will likely just have to find it online.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Axm » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Yama wrote:Went to Barnes and Noble and they looked it up, haven't received the magazine since 2007 they said. However it may be store independent, I'm doubting it'll be too different as it is a chain. Will likely just have to find it online.

Thats weird. I went to Barnes and Boarders yesturday to get it too. They had it there but it was the last months issue. I asked when they are getting the next batch of magazines and they told me fridays and mondays. So ill check back later.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Yama wrote:Went to Barnes and Noble and they looked it up, haven't received the magazine since 2007 they said. However it may be store independent, I'm doubting it'll be too different as it is a chain. Will likely just have to find it online.

Yeah mine sometimes gets them and sometimes they don't.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Ahhh no way! It actually has a letter in this very issue from an american griping about how he cant get the magazine, and in response, thats EXACTLY what the magazine replied. They printed his letter, with the reply, and also said "since we know you probably wont get this response in time, we emailed you!"

Now thats service!

Also, Alex, that response just blew my mind!!! Thats unbelievable!! Ive earmarked his email for contact in relation to a possible interview for the future!! 8)
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 am

Got mine today. Annoyed that £1.50 extra delivery didn't cover first class post. Bah!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Just to add, Retro Gamer continues to earn my love and respect. Having browsed the forum a bit they took note I couldn't obtain a copy, so sent one to my door free of any costs. Amazing outlet, one that I'd like to continue to support beyond this issue.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates