Yu Suzuki interview by Shenmue Dojo & Team Yu (MAGIC 2016)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki interview by Shenmue Dojo & Team Yu (MAGIC 201

Postby Namron_Bearded » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:19 am

Thank you guys honestly for all your devotion on this games series. I admit that I almost cried at the end of the video... Nothing much to add though, just waiting for the 3d opus to be released, now.
Namron_Bearded
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: F-Zero GP Legend

Postby Giorgio » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:28 am

Spaghetti wrote: I halfway understand why Yu wants to separate the letters but... I was 8 years old when the first Shenmue game came out and I read the logo perfectly. Things can't have changed that much.

My hunches tell me the Papyrus not-cursive font (with the notion to be more readable) is an idea passed by the AJ minds to Yu, during the KS upheaval. I'm certain that Yu-san will recollect his thoughts over this, especially when (as Cedric Biscay said on Twitter) : "He knows about the fans expectation regarding that topic". Even though he may end up not using the original font and go for a new not-cursive one, he/ the S3 team will create a custom one that it will radiate again Shenmue's iconic/epic energy.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Master Mo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Very interesting interview. Much appreciation for the guys and all the effort!

On some subjects he touched on regarding Shenmue III:

-Logo: I said it in some other thread before but I have a real issue with the current Logo. It just looks bad. It has no redeeming factor honestly. And in my opinion since there was no change in the logo from Shenmue I to SII besides the colouring I think they should stick to that. Also it still look brilliant.

The first logo we ever saw for Shenmue III was that great one in the kickstarter video and since then somewhere along the lines someone just pasted this ugly papyrus logo and all of a sudden it gets this great attention right now. I don`t get it...

Some members talked about it here, too:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49533

-Music: Wow, I would have never thought that they already composed music for all the chapters. Kinda makes sense because as we all saw in the Saturn-Trailer there were scenes in there that also come up way down the line in the saga. That is probably also why the following piece sounds like it is right out of Shenmue II... So good!

https://youtu.be/Qd4MyNqI0fo

-Loading Screen: I personally think even if the hardware-limitation doesn`t make them have to put in the loading screen I think similar to why I don`t want them to change the logo that loading screen is part of the experience we love so much. So I would imagine the screen to be put in but just don`t last as long because it probably wouldn`t have a real purpose.

-Changing clothes: I really didn`t get that. Ryo didn`t change his clothes in Shenmue I even though he went home all the time. That kinda stuff is nothing I`d care about in the slightest. I would love Shenhua to stay in her iconic clothes unless because of the story they need to change. Something like that will probably happen to Ryo because at some point he will wear those green clothes we`ve seen so much. I`m totally ok with that.

Master Mo has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, iyapol, Kiske
Master Mo

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby SMDzero » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Best part of the interview is that only 20% of Shenmue's music has been used!!!! And that the other 80% was already composed!

That's means we're going to get tons of great new music tracks in Shenmue 3 and possibly beyond!

I was afraid we'd get crap new tracks (due to budget) and the only good stuff would be recycled from the previous two games.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:39 pm

Master Mo wrote:Very interesting interview. Much appreciation for the guys and all the effort!

-Changing clothes: I really didn`t get that. Ryo didn`t change his clothes in Shenmue I even though he went home all the time. That kinda stuff is nothing I`d care about in the slightest. I would love Shenhua to stay in her iconic clothes unless because of the story they need to change. Something like that will probably happen to Ryo because at some point he will wear those green clothes we`ve seen so much. I`m totally ok with that.

Haha you would think after seeing Lan Di's silky jade green clothing he would be scarred to ever wear anything resembling that...

Unless he joins the chiyoumen or the dark side! #whatatwist! #ShayamalanWouldBeProud

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ys » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:43 pm

Great interview. I liked that he sometimes added to the translation to clarify things.

About that font business, it's not a huge deal compared to gameplay, AI,... But still, it feels a bit cheap. Like something that you see on budget games in the bargain bin. I don't think that it would do the game any favors, now that they plan to have it on shelves. It could give of an unintended budget look (depending on the artwork). As said in the other thread : it could get ridiculed. Just look at the reaction to the placeholder box art.

Or do as they did for Shenmue II Xbox? The original logo with slightly smaller lines in between letters to separate them a bit more. I didn't know that this was an issue though. Uncharted 4 seems to partly use such a writing style on the cover. Flower too as far as I remember?

As for loading screens : a quick fade in/fade out wouldn't annoy and keeps the original spirit. Or you could also move the location text to a corner for a few seconds more after the black screen is gone.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:01 am

Wonderful interview. Sorry I have been scarce and didn't get the chance to see it sooner. Great work on those who contributed to the creation of the video itself.

I loved his desire for telepathically controlled games lol.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:50 pm

A little further reading for those interested in Yu's comments on cursive writing:

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20090 ... 901040346/

While we all prefer the original logo, I wonder how many can objectively look at this central part of the title - which itself is a Japanese word that many newcomers struggle to pronounce, let alone attach any meaning to - and imagine what somebody not raised on cursive might make of it:

A turbulent ocean, a life support system, or two consonants and a vowel?

Don't phone a friend or ask the audience, they'll tell you to buy Gears of War instead.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Yokosuka
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby James Brown » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am

I'm still not convinced myself though, I think around the Dreamcast times, fewer people were interested in Japanese games, or JRPGS, anime, manga etc. Alot of the youth today seem to have embraced more of it, that's why shows such as Attack on Titan are doing so well, and are more accepted these days. Back then people would look at you weird for watching something like Cowboy Bebop, or Outlaw Star. Because of the internet, its easier to connect with these other cultures, and appreciate them. I think a Japanese looking game like Shenmue, and it's cursive font, would not particularly be that big of an issue.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Holy mackerel. You guys...

Another point of discussion within the online community bubble of late has been whether Shenmue III will feature the loading screens that became an iconic staple of the original games, denoting the in-game time and Ryo's location while entering a new area.

With technological advances making loading screens functionally obsolete, Suzuki had no plans to include them in the new game. But after musing on the topic in our interview, he noted, "I guess they're very characteristic of Shenmue, aren't they? I will give it some proper thought."

...are heroes.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:43 pm

Technological advances? Maybe on a PC where someone is running a SSD perhaps but on PS4 you better believe loading is a thing. As a PC gamer myself I'm almost in agony waiting a solid minute for some levels to load in games. #FirstWorldProblems
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Sonikku wrote: Technological advances? Maybe on a PC where someone is running a SSD perhaps but on PS4 you better believe loading is a thing. As a PC gamer myself I'm almost in agony waiting a solid minute for some levels to load in games. #FirstWorldProblems

Batman: Arkham Knight for PS4 and Xbox One has zero loading screens (unless you count the little 'tricks' such as the elevator leading down to Riddler's Batmobile challenges), and that game is a technical marvel.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to News and Updates