I hope Sega are gutted

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: I hope Sega are gutted

Postby Raithos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Yeah, sadly here in NA most people bought it for the sports titles and arcade ports. Can't blame them cause they were great. If we assume half of the Shenmue sales were in NA (I have no clue how many were sold here, just picking a number) then that's 600k copies to like 4 million consoles that were sold here. I doubt it was even possible to break even.

edit: when I said other titles outsold it, I meant here in the US. We had sports titles sell a million copies here alone, while it took worldwide sales of Shenmue to break that mark
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby chris1986 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:37 pm

Raithos wrote:
chris1986 wrote:
Raithos wrote:
chris1986 wrote:
It wasn't Shenmue that ruined SEGA at all, it was a lack of total good games on the DC, Sega had the good games like Sonic, Shenmue etc, and they only other good games were Soul Calibur (which was fucking brilliant btw), and I suppose through other methods like advertisement.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a very, very long time.

Nah not really.

Actually yes it was. I wasn't attacking you, I honestly felt what I said lol. If you think the Shenmue series being a financial flop didn't contribute to the "ruining" of SEGA as you put it, and that it was a lack of good games on the DC that did it, then that was the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. Games are subjective though, so if you think Soul Calibur is the only good game on DC other than Shenmue and Sonic, no problem. But its pretty clear other games easily outsold Shenmue, and that it wasn't the system seller you think it was. Sorry but that's the truth.

Well the system sellers were games like sonic which were popular already, people would buy the DC the play sonic in proper 3D for the 1st time, even though shenmue was unknown at the time i would personally class shenmue as a system seller personally since it's up there with the best games on the DC, far better than the ones in the list ShenmueTree posted. Also Soul calibur was and still is one of the best fighters ive played to date, much better than power stone.
chris1986
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby tomboz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 pm

chris1986 wrote:i mean what the fuck is the issue here?

In the nicest possible way; your topic is stupid.

chris1986 wrote: but the point of my topic is that SEGA will be gutted if shenmue 3 is released and sells really well.

Sega losing the Shenmue TM in the US has no bearing on Sega's ownership of the Shenmue IP.

If Shenmue 3 is made it will be because Sega have allowed it to be made. If Sega allow it to be made they will want it to do well. If it does well Sega will make a lot of money.

Why exactly would Sega be 'gutted' about making a lot of money? :-s

tomboz has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby R3N » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:14 am

Well Sega does not exist anymore. SegaSammy is not the same beloved sega we knew.

Another game that was a system seller was Marvel vs. Capcom.

I consider power stone a way better game than soul caliber that game is overrated but that just my opinion :).
I have never had so much fun playing a player vs player fighting game as I did with powerstone 1.

The main reason why Dreamcast failed it was not because it lacked system sellers.
This was the main reason dreamcast failed:
""""32x +Mega cd + saturn were short-lived consoles that turned off gamers and developers alike."""
Yes Sega developed a bad reputation of been a company that produced short-lived consoles.
Saturn not only failed so bad against the successful playstation but it even failed against super nitendo...
Last edited by R3N on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:14 am

^The dreamcast had the most popular launch in gaming history until this gen surpassed it. the reason why it failed was because SEGA were shit at marketing and SONY too good at it at the time. With SONY hyping up the PS2 without limit it made the DC look outdated while it was the most advanced console on the market, add to that a DVD player and the majority of people preferred to hold out until the PS2 was launched instead of purchasing a console that seemed like it would be very short-lived. Sure it's true that if SEGA had a better legacy the DC would have sold better since it would have meant more die hard fans that were responsible for a good amount of the DC sales to begin with but to say that is the primary reason is nonsense. Marketing is always the key to good sales and that's why the PS1 sold so more than the competition and the Wii sold so well after the GC and N64 not doing so good
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:18 am

Maybe if they hadn't blown so much on the Mega CD and 32x it might not have been so bad.

But yeah the lack of a DVD player hurt it. I mean the PS2 really had duck all games worth owning for the first year or so especially compared to the Dreamcast line up.

Also maybe Sega shouldn't have focused so much on online at the start seeing as it wasn't available.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby chris1986 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:19 pm

tomboz wrote:
chris1986 wrote:i mean what the fuck is the issue here?

In the nicest possible way; your topic is stupid.

chris1986 wrote: but the point of my topic is that SEGA will be gutted if shenmue 3 is released and sells really well.

Sega losing the Shenmue TM in the US has no bearing on Sega's ownership of the Shenmue IP.

If Shenmue 3 is made it will be because Sega have allowed it to be made. If Sega allow it to be made they will want it to do well. If it does well Sega will make a lot of money.

Why exactly would Sega be 'gutted' about making a lot of money? :-s

Ok i must have miss-understood the meaning of 'Sega lost the Shenmue trademark', i thought that since they lost it they no longer owned shenmue anymore.
chris1986
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:16 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Are you retarded? Or has your misconception of the meanings behind various words caused all this?

Mystery solved, case closed.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby tomboz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:51 pm

chris1986 wrote: Ok i must have miss-understood the meaning of 'Sega lost the Shenmue trademark', i thought that since they lost it they no longer owned shenmue anymore.

A lot of people seem to have gotten that impression. It's unclear at this moment whether the trademark that expired was even for Shenmue (it looks more likely that it was for the ill-fated Shenmue Online) but regardless it has no bearing on Sega's ownership of Shenmue or their ability to release any future Shenmue games. They would simply need to reapply for the Trademark again if and when they needed it.

Tbh my main objection to your initial post was your assertion that the Dreamcast had no good games outside of the Sonic franchise, Shenmue and SC.
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby R3N » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 pm

south carmain wrote: ^The dreamcast had the most popular launch in gaming history until this gen surpassed it. the reason why it failed was because SEGA were shit at marketing and SONY too good at it at the time. With SONY hyping up the PS2 without limit it made the DC look outdated while it was the most advanced console on the market, add to that a DVD player and the majority of people preferred to hold out until the PS2 was launched instead of purchasing a console that seemed like it would be very short-lived. Sure it's true that if SEGA had a better legacy the DC would have sold better since it would have meant more die hard fans that were responsible for a good amount of the DC sales to begin with but to say that is the primary reason is nonsense. Marketing is always the key to good sales and that's why the PS1 sold so more than the competition and the Wii sold so well after the GC and N64 not doing so good

Nonsense? But you said it yourself :-s
Why people knew it was going to be short lived? Because it happened 3 times already people lost the trust in Sega consoles before even the dreamcast was made.
In the end dreamcast ended with the exact same fate as the 32x,mega CD and saturn which was expected.
It was the 32x,mega CD and saturn era failure that made a lot of Sega Genesis fans jump into Sony.
The 32x,mega CD and saturn mistake that made Sega not be able to compete with even Nintendo which was weak at the time because of Sony.
If Sega had better legacy maybe it would have been Nitendo gamecube the one who would have been out of the market.
Gamecube was a mediocre console in my opinion compared to the Dreamcast.

Everything that I have mentioned is not completely my opinion :). Is just the info I got from researching.
If anyone want to learn more just read about it is fascinating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Saturn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

In my honest opinion Sega had no chance against Sony their marketing was excellent I totally Agree with carmain in that. But if it had not mess up so much I think It would had survived and win against Nintendo worldwide.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 am

R3N wrote:
south carmain wrote: ^The dreamcast had the most popular launch in gaming history until this gen surpassed it. the reason why it failed was because SEGA were shit at marketing and SONY too good at it at the time. With SONY hyping up the PS2 without limit it made the DC look outdated while it was the most advanced console on the market, add to that a DVD player and the majority of people preferred to hold out until the PS2 was launched instead of purchasing a console that seemed like it would be very short-lived. Sure it's true that if SEGA had a better legacy the DC would have sold better since it would have meant more die hard fans that were responsible for a good amount of the DC sales to begin with but to say that is the primary reason is nonsense. Marketing is always the key to good sales and that's why the PS1 sold so more than the competition and the Wii sold so well after the GC and N64 not doing so good

Nonsense? But you said it yourself :-s

No I said it was due to SONY marketing and not due to the failure of the Saturn. The DC was doing well (as I mentioned multiple times it had the best launch in gaming history until this gen) until sony stepped up their campaign and made it seem obsolete long before the PS2 was even released.
It was the 32x,mega CD and saturn era failure that made a lot of Sega Genesis fans jump into Sony.

Because the PS1 had better games, support in the west and better value. People jump ship when there is a better product, again the DC didn't suffer from these issues and did well until SONY started heavily marketing the PS2.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby poblequadrat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:47 am

To be honest in my opinion Sega's end is more attributable to how finance capital is actually more important than actual production these days. The Dreamcast did well (seriously mate what are you on? it has tons of good games, and most importantly it catered to a type of gamer that doesn't seem to exist anymore, a type of gamer who wasn't terribly into the PS2) and the Saturn was very popular in Japan, plus Sega were still one of the biggest arcade game makers.

I remember when the DC came out and it definitely didn't look like it was going to be short-lived back then. Also I remember the PS2 was ridiculously expensive when it came out, in Europe at least, and people were laughing at it (a bit like the PS3 actually...)
poblequadrat
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Previous

Return to Shenmue III