ECTS 2003

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Japan and America.

Postby Shodan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:57 am

ChaiOgawa wrote:in Japan EVERYONE knows and respects the industry and its becoming that way here in America as well.

While videogames are very popular in America, I still don't think they have the same impact as they do in Japan. Sure, a lot of people in America play games and own a console/PC. But in the end videogaming in the US is still seen as entertainment. In Japan gaming is regarded as a form of art, appreciated and respected by all. That's why in Japan big name games(e.g. Smash Bros. DX, Shin Sangoku Musou 3, FFX-2) tend to sell way faster at release, despite Japan only having half the population of the US.
Shodan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: ECTS 2003

Postby Shodan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:01 am

Neo Matrix wrote:
Shodan wrote:It's not held this month, ECTS 2003 is going to be held on August 27-29.
Where is it held this year? Please not Earl's Court.

Yep it's Earl's Court again I'm afraid!
Shodan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zhao » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:27 am

Thats also why many American made game consoles fail in Japan. The outlook or the perspective of the American companies offer all the wrong things to the Japanese market in terms of innovative hardware and software. Thats one thing Microsoft has already done wrong.

And as far as im concered Shenmue 3 will absolutely not be at ECTS.
Zhao
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gorbatjov » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:32 am

well.... diablo2 and counter-strike is very popular in japan, asia
Gorbatjov
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Silas » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:49 am

Please god we are not going through this same agony for every piddling upcoming games show!

As for European games, I will say two words: Ubi Soft. And if you don't know those guys also make Splinter Cell.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gorbatjov » Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:56 am

Silas wrote:Please god we are not going through this same agony for every piddling upcoming games show!

As for European games, I will say two words: Ubi Soft. And if you don't know those guys also make Splinter Cell.

ever heard of lionhead?
Gorbatjov

Postby Silas » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:01 am

Well, since I read the thread, uh, yes.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gorbatjov » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:02 am

do you own splinter cell?
Gorbatjov

Japan and FPSs.

Postby Shodan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:05 am

Gorbatjov wrote:well.... diablo2 and counter-strike is very popular in japan, asia

Counter-Strike is not popular in Japan at all! Don't you know that the Japanese dislike anything even remotely first person? Why do you think Half-Life, Halo and every other major FPS all have such a small presence in Japan? Metroid Prime didn't even do too well despite the Metroid series being popular there. Namco recently released an arcade version of CS called Counter-Strike Neo, which is being pretty much ignored at the moment by the Japanese...
Shodan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Japan and FPSs.

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:29 pm

Shodan wrote:
Gorbatjov wrote:well.... diablo2 and counter-strike is very popular in japan, asia

Counter-Strike is not popular in Japan at all! Don't you know that the Japanese dislike anything even remotely first person? Why do you think Half-Life, Halo and every other major FPS all have such a small presence in Japan? Metroid Prime didn't even do too well despite the Metroid series being popular there. Namco recently released an arcade version of CS called Counter-Strike Neo, which is being pretty much ignored at the moment by the Japanese...

Actually I think counter strike is catching on in japan. I'm basing this entirely on a recent interview with hideo kojima, where he says his entire team play counter strike. small sample, I know, but I don't work the logical way.
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Hideo Kojima plays Counter Strike!?

Postby Shodan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:48 pm

Paul wrote:
Shodan wrote:

Actually I think counter strike is catching on in japan. I'm basing this entirely on a recent interview with hideo kojima, where he says his entire team play counter strike. small sample, I know, but I don't work the logical way.

Hmm... interesting. :-k I didn't know Kojima-san's team played CS. But I do know the "CS Neo being slow on the uptake" bit from an article in Edge magazine. So I'm assuming that the home version will be even less popular, since people actually have to buy and install the game(or is it free in Japan as well?).

Anyway. I hope Japan does get a taste of the genre soon, they've missed out on a lot of great FPSs.
Shodan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

w00t!!

Postby Shodan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:53 pm

Woohoo ppl! Look how threads go off-topic! How the heck did a subject like "ECTS 2003" change into something about Counter-Strike's popularity in Japan!??!! :roll:
Shodan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ChaiOgawa » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:24 pm

It happens to every topic here thety go from one thing to another to another to another untill finally you reach the end and your talking about half drunkenmonkeys dancing in leatards it happens. I know that america is not caught up with japanese nor will they ever be japan will always be on top I just meant that we over here and america are finally reallising how important video games are..
ChaiOgawa

What?

Postby Shodan » Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:45 pm

ChaiOgawa wrote:It happens to every topic here thety go from one thing to another to another to another untill finally you reach the end and your talking about half drunkenmonkeys dancing in leatards.

Lol.

You wanna know something else I've just noticed? ChaiOgawa, YOU'VE GOT OVER 3000 BLOODY POSTS!!! -That's just insane dude! I could have sworn I saw you with under 2000 just about a week ago!! What do you do on here man? Reply to every topic or something? lol.

Anyway I thought spaming lead to warnings? ;)

j/k
Last edited by Shodan on Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shodan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Souljah » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:37 am

Near Notting Hill, but I'm in Oxford at the moment... university... studying Japanese (and Computer Science ).

So your Girl's alone right now? :twisted:

just kiddin m8 :roll: :)

And to all those who talk about the thread going off-topic....What do you expect? People have already spoken about how they dont think Shenmue Will be at ECTS on the previous 2 pages.....so now its just banter - Its a forum man, Let people talk.....
Souljah
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III