I hope Sega are gutted

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

I hope Sega are gutted

Postby chris1986 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Now that SEGA lost the trademark, I hope Shenmue 3 is made and released and sells well, it's SEGA's fault that we haven't seen Shenmue 3, and partly whilst I don't blame them for being afraid to touch shenmue since they've lost out on so much due to the production costs, I stilll think they should have at least given the series another chance and tested the waters, like released the HD remakes and so on, but they haven't even done that.

I really do hope that if Shenmue 3 is released that it sells really well and is popular enough to appeal to new fans and even to be enough to have Shenmue 4, how gutted would SEGA be?

It wasn't Shenmue that ruined SEGA at all, it was a lack of total good games on the DC, Sega had the good games like Sonic, Shenmue etc, and they only other good games were Soul Calibur (which was fucking brilliant btw), and I suppose through other methods like advertisement.

SEGA shouldn't blame Shenmue at all, they are obviously thinking of all the time and money that went into it and regret it, but all in all they fucked up on other games, take the sonic games for eg, they could have done a MUCH better job... like what they did for Sonic generations, when IGN said how this is how a sonic game should be done I couldn't agree more with them, the notalgia of the old levels, classic sonic, green hill, less of the stupid treasure hunting with knuckles.

Shenmue set the standards, i've never played any other game quite like it, even though it's set in a smallish world with boundaries, the world leads you to believe it's is massive, compare it to a game like GTA, even though GTA is clearly a bigger game world, Shenmue still feels as big, if not bigger purely because of the interactivity, being able to talk to everyone, searching through cupboards in the houses, most of the buildings can be entered, this is what makes a gamme world big, not just masses of land with fuck all to do in it.

I never knew (at the time of playing) that Shenmue would limit us to just the few areas it does, but being able to get the bus was a definite plus, i really had the impression we had a whole world to explore out there (this was one of the 1st open world games you know), but after finally completing the game the facts became a reality, like not being able to explore further, but acceptance comes after, it is after all a video game, and the level of detail in the areas given was enough. Shenmue 2 took it a level further and wowed at how large the areas were, Aberdeen, wanchai then back to abredeen in beverley hills wharf, then off to kowloon, and finally when you think its all over, disc 4 had guilin, i was expecting disc 4 to be like shenmue's just a passport with nothing much, but how wrong was i?

ok enough now, you get the point, sega should never doubt shenmue, they should have released shenmue 3 last gen, so now I really do hope the PS4 is the last chance, if the GDC postmortem is nothing more than a 1 hour talk of how he made shenmue 1 and 2 and nothing more, then i think it defies the whole point of doing it in the first place, Yu Suzuki knows there a shitload of fans wanting Shenmue, and he must also know that the mention of this GDC postmortem will get the fans to expect something, so it really has to be Shenmue 3 announced, if not then I really understand the meaning of it all...
chris1986
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: I hope Sega are gutted

Postby Raithos » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:24 pm

chris1986 wrote:
It wasn't Shenmue that ruined SEGA at all, it was a lack of total good games on the DC, Sega had the good games like Sonic, Shenmue etc, and they only other good games were Soul Calibur (which was fucking brilliant btw), and I suppose through other methods like advertisement.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a very, very long time.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:11 pm

chris1986 wrote:It wasn't Shenmue that ruined SEGA at all, it was a lack of total good games on the DC, Sega had the good games like Sonic, Shenmue etc, and they only other good games were Soul Calibur (which was fucking brilliant btw), and I suppose through other methods like advertisement.

Typing of the Dead
Jet Set Radio
Powerstone II
Skies of Arcadia
Sakura Wars
Samba de Amigo
Jet Set Radio
Seaman
Grandia II
Project Justice

Fucking Chu Chu rocket

What the fuck you talking about, man?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby tomboz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:24 pm

So much fail...
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Wait, SEGA lost the license to shenmue?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby C.. » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:12 pm

I understand what you mean Chris, the dreamcast did have a lot of decent titles, but there are a lot of factors as to why the dreamcast was their last console anyone would tell you around here. Its just a combination of they know that it might not go the way they want if they did release them again and make shenmue 3.

SEGA is SEGA in my opinion they made a lot of great games but sadly they lost out to playstation and Nintendo.
Shenmue was truly a groundbreaking game but then again not everyone saw that.
C..
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Are you retarded? Or has your misconception of the meanings behind various words caused all this?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby R3N » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:13 pm

The dreamcast was doomed before it was made.
It was because of the saturn failure that cursed the dreamcast.
Also do not blame Sega blame Sammy they destroyed the Sega we knew before.
Do not mind the rude people here. :)

Join here too they actually do something instead of bashing new members that do know the story of why Sega and shenmue actually failed.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shenmue500K/
Also support shenmue here
https://www.thunderclap.it/en/projects/8602-saveshenmue-march-3rd

Reasons why Dreamcast died:
    1)Saturn was overpriced and an awful failure.
    2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isao_Okawa died.
    3)PS2 had dvd.
    4)Sony
    5)Sammy merge
    6)Sammy plan after forcing Sega to merge with them. They wanted Sega to focus on the Arcade market.
    (The main reason why Sammy wanted Sega since they own the biggest pachinko company) Then lower their involvement in the home console market they did not care about. That is why Sammy fired and did a lot of layoff.This is why we may never get a Dreamcast 2 or new Sega console again till Sega break free of Sammy.

Reasons Shenmue II failed:
    1) Shenmue on xbox really? port an adventure game to a console that the majority of gamers were first person shooters fans that absolutely have no patience needed for shenmue.
    2)By the time shenmue II was released dreamcast was dead and most Japense dished Sega and went after the PS2.
    3) Sammy had no interest to invest on a console game that cost so much to produce.
    4) Sammy merged most of sega game studios and got rid of them.
    5) Isao the main funder and ex ceo that invested millions in shenmue and sega died of a heart attack.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:28 am

If the saturn doomed the DC i wonder why the DC had one of the most successful launches in history.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:39 am

R3N wrote: The dreamcast was doomed before it was made.

Pretty much what I was about to say. Even if Shenmue had sold 10 million units, I'd suspect we'd still be in the same situation.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby tomboz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 pm

There's a number of reasons that the Dreamcast failed.

First and foremost; It was a ahead of its time. In the short-term this was great; as graphically it was able to blow the N64 and Playstation away. In the long term, however, it gave Nintendo and Sony more time to work on their next consoles meaning that when they finally came out they were better than the Dreamcast.

Sega didn't help either. The failure of the Saturn turned people away from Sega and towards Sony and Nintendo. I know a lot of people who opted against getting a Dreamcast in order to wait for the PS2 or GC because they'd owned a PS1 or N64. Sega's poor relationship with EA (I don't believe that there was a single EA title developed for DC?) was also a hindrance.

All said and done though the Dreamcast is still my favourite console.
tomboz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby chris1986 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:04 pm

Raithos wrote:
chris1986 wrote:

Nah not really.

ShenmueTree wrote:
chris1986 wrote:It wasn't Shenmue that ruined SEGA at all, it was a lack of total good games on the DC, Sega had the good games like Sonic, Shenmue etc, and they only other good games were Soul Calibur (which was fucking brilliant btw), and I suppose through other methods like advertisement.

Typing of the Dead
Jet Set Radio
Powerstone II
Skies of Arcadia
Sakura Wars
Samba de Amigo
Jet Set Radio
Seaman
Grandia II
Project Justice

Fucking Chu Chu rocket

What the fuck you talking about, man?

They aren't exactly system sellers. Typing of the dead is a good idea but not anything special, especially since hotd games are getting on a bit and lose the novelty quite quick, Power stone 2 and skies of arcadia are pretty decent games, was sakura wars even released outside of Japan? I haven't heard of fucking chu chu rocket, but if youre on about that game chu chu rocket that came free with something or another (i cant remember), honestly it wasn't that good of a game. oh and you said jet set radio twice.
MiTT3NZ wrote:Are you retarded? Or has your misconception of the meanings behind various words caused all this?

Hm, I didn't think a retard was capable of reading and writing, so I don't think I'm retarded either.

Honestly, the Dreamcast didn't have THAT many system selling games, it did have numerous great games but the N64 had much better ones overall. There is obviously more reasons to why the DC and SEGA failed as you said R3N, but the point of my topic is that SEGA will be gutted if shenmue 3 is released and sells really well, but i still stand by my point that the DC didn't have loads of system selling games, it just had a bunch of great games.

That doesn't change the fact that Shenmue to me is one of the greatest games and is why i'm a member here to begin with, but people need to calm it down serious, i mean what the fuck is the issue here?
chris1986
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 pm

chris1986 wrote:Hm, I didn't think a retard was capable of reading and writing, so I don't think I'm retarded either.

Pure. Gold.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Raithos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 pm

chris1986 wrote:
Raithos wrote:
chris1986 wrote:

Nah not really.

Actually yes it was. I wasn't attacking you, I honestly felt what I said lol. If you think the Shenmue series being a financial flop didn't contribute to the "ruining" of SEGA as you put it, and that it was a lack of good games on the DC that did it, then that was the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. Games are subjective though, so if you think Soul Calibur is the only good game on DC other than Shenmue and Sonic, no problem. But its pretty clear other games easily outsold Shenmue, and that it wasn't the system seller you think it was. Sorry but that's the truth.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Shenmue was the 4th best selling Dreamcast game behind Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur and Crazy Taxi but yes considering how much SEGA Spent on Shenmue it needed to sell a lot more.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Next

Return to Shenmue III