ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2018

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2018

Postby Monkei » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:18 am

Sounds pretty baseless and is written in a somewhat semi-professional way, but hey, you never know.

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/shenmue-hd-remaster-coming-2017/

Shenmue HD Remaster coming in 2017
on February 25, 2017 by I love Japanese games

A trusted source close to Atlus USA, today revealed to me that Shenmue HD Remaster will be released this year. Both games, Episodes 1 & 2, may be released together rather than separately. They are presumably being geared up for launch to precede Shenmue 3, which could possibly slip into 2018.

This will come as no surprise. Last year Sega hinted strongly that a Shenmue HD remaster was on the cards and then towards the end of last year, Sega registered the domain ShenmueHD.com. Furthermore, many have known of the existence of a Shenmue HD Remaster for some time. Way back in 2010, a Shenmue II remaster appeared on Microsoft’s Partnernet – the online ecosystem for Xbox 360 dev kits.

So it was a always case of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ a Shenmue HD Remaster would appear.

The appearance of an HD remaster will be vital for the success of the forthcoming Shenmue 3. While it raised a colossal amount of money via kickstarter through long-time series fans, the vast majority of gamers won’t know the events of the first two games.

Such a story rich experience would be impossible to appreciate without knowledge of the events so far – and so it’s an important step for the series to find a new, broader fanbase.

No further details have been revealed to us regarding the release. We were told it is ‘safe to assume a PC/Steam release’, there has been no indication that the Shenmue HD Remasters will appear on any other platform.

EDIT: Today (March 9) the article was updated with the following:
SHENMUE HD UPDATE! – 9/3/2017
Over the last few weeks I’ve had a huge amount of messages (thanks all!) regarding the Shenmue leak, so I thought I should clarify a few points in the body of this article rather than in the comments below. So many people have reported on this story it’s amazing how many have distorted some of the detail.

The only things I know for certain are;
1/ Shenmue HD is complete. It’s basically done.
2/ Shenmue HD will be released this year.

The elements which I have not received 100% confirmation of.
1/ I don’t know specifics about publisher or platforms.
2/ PS4 wasn’t mentioned – but that’s not to say it won’t happen. (It will be of course) but I don’t KNOW this for a fact. (But of course it will be)
3/ Episode 1&2 together ‘may be’ released together.
4/ Shenmue 3 delay is pretty likely.

ILJG guesswork – because why not.
1/ Probably confirmed before E3 – because GET ON WITH IT ALREADY.
2/ Fuku-san Bikini DLC packs – every week from launch.
3/ Someone somewhere at Sega must see the wisdom of releasing Phantasy Star Online on Switch, right?
4/ Phantasy Star Online.
5/ Please GOD Phantasy Star Online.
Last edited by Monkei on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Monkei has received 3 thanks from: SledgeNE, The_Intruder, Ziming
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

Postby iyapol » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:53 am

Pinch of salt, folks.

iyapol has received a thanks from: Sappharad
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Monkei » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:57 am

More like a bucket.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ziming » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:00 am

I've never heard of the website ricedigital.co.uk before this news story. This is what a friend told me:

They are a decent-sized and reliable Japanese site based in the UK. They have connections to the industry as their sister company is PQube, who publish Japanese games.

Ziming has received 5 thanks from: Hazuki00, Kiske, Monkei, redline, The_Intruder
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby iyapol » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:07 am

PQube? That has to be a wind up?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:37 am

I doubt the Shenmue II that appeared 360 dev kits in 2010 was a remaster. They had a bunch of OG Xbox games available for digital download on the 360, and it was already backwards-compatible for the system, so it was likely just a digital download version of that that then got nixed for lack of interest.

Amir has received a thanks from: Monkei
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:58 am

Ziming wrote: I've never heard of the website ricedigital.co.uk before this news story. This is what a friend told me:

They are a decent-sized and reliable Japanese site based in the UK. They have connections to the industry as their sister company is PQube, who publish Japanese games.

Yeah, this rumour definitely has credence since they are a part of the same parent company as the niche Japanese games publisher in PQube (they publish the Steins;Gate series in the West, for example). So this story may actually be true. \:D/

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Monkei
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby munchmunch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:44 am

They publish the Blazblue games here in Europe too.
munchmunch
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:47 am

Shenmue 3 in 2018? Do they know something that Cedric or Suzuki himself don't know? I suppose it's what they think...
Suzuki, Cedric and other sources have stated they are intended to release S3 december 17.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:46 am

lol so strange that I had not heard of RiceDigital until yesterday where I ordered Stein;Gate 0 Collectors Edition for Vita from them. I had no idea that they were affiliated with PQube, but that makes sense now.

All the links are in place for this rumour though, as Atlus are a subsidiary of Sega so the chain of info seems viable.

Hopefully this is correct, but I won't believe anything until I see that announcement at E3 ;)
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:07 am

I feel sufficiently confident to say we all expect Shenmue III to be pushed back, so I can agree with that speculation. As it continues to generate more money, I would prefer a push to incorporate more features, especially if we generate $7 million.

I am unsure about Atlus--I think they are part of Sega(aren't they?) but I find it hard to believe they would have a part in the HD Remasters. I would have figured a more well-known studio(Bluesomething?) to be behind it.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:35 am

I saw this earlier today on my Facebook feed and got a ting of excitement. Then I realized that like every other rumor, regardless of how credible, the news doesn't matter at all until an official announcement. I'm going to wait to have any further excitement about Shenmue anything until official announcements are made.

I'm also pretty sure that the Shenmue 3 funding has come to a halt. It's moving at a snail's pace at best and I don't see it hitting the $7 mill mark. Let's be happy with what it did generate and trust Yu Suzuki to hold to his word that he will make the best Shenmue 3 experience he can with the funds given. We really can't expect more than that.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am

Valascaziel wrote:I am unsure about Atlus--I think they are part of Sega(aren't they?) but I find it hard to believe they would have a part in the HD Remasters. I would have figured a more well-known studio(Bluesomething?) to be behind it.

Atlus are a subsidiary of Sega yes, but they will have nothing to do with the HD remaster of S1 or S2. It is more that someone working at Altus has heard at work/from work mates at Sega that they are working on it. That's the chain of info that makes sense any ways. Of course, it's all rumour atm but this is what makes sense.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby redline » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:28 am

SheepheadCG wrote: It is more that someone working at Altus has heard at work/from work mates at Sega that they are working on it.

like chinese whispers? :-k maybe it will just turn out a sega employee was overheard ordering a sausage sandwich x2

redline has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:34 am

Both games, Episodes 1 & 2, may be released together rather than separately.

Hopefully.
These games need to be experienced back-to-back.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III