ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2018

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Suppose this rumor is true--

Would it be wisest to go ahead and announce it in the coming weeks, with relative quietness in the gaming news spectrum?

Or would it be best saved for E3 on the biggest stage once again?

I predict it to be shown immediately following Shenmue III's first trailer, which may confirm the delay. If it is, a subsequent announcement of the HD Collection would help take away the sting of a longer wait(even though we all expect it).

Alternatively, will YsNet confirm the delay before E3? I wonder.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Valascaziel wrote: Suppose this rumor is true--

Would it be wisest to go ahead and announce it in the coming weeks, with relative quietness in the gaming news spectrum?

I predict it to be shown immediately following Shenmue III's first trailer, which may confirm the delay. If it is, a subsequent announcement of the HD Collection would help take away the sting of a longer wait(even though we all expect it).

I agree. E3 100%. Sega want money from these remakes, it is a cash in for them. They want to get the most exposure possible. E3 guarantees that.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 pm

It's a remaster. Waiting for E3 would be stupid. FF12 HD was announced and they didn't save it for some show. They just announced it and showed off a hot trailer online on their YouTube and it's playable on the floor at the next big show. That's all Shenmue HD needs.

SheepheadCG wrote:

I agree. E3 100%. Sega want money from these remakes, it is a cash in for them. They want to get the most exposure possible. E3 guarantees that.

When was the last time an HD remaster recieved a dedicated segment at E3? Skyrim definitive version? I can't think of any remaster ever receiving thet much of a platform or stage presence. It's usually just an announcement and bite sized trailer and that's it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 am

Himuro wrote:
When was the last time an HD remaster recieved a dedicated segment at E3? Skyrim definitive version? I can't think of any remaster ever receiving thet much of a platform or stage presence. It's usually just an announcement and bite sized trailer and that's it.

I didn't say anything about stage time, but if we were to see it on the stage it would be in 1 of 2 ways. Either following a section with a Shenmue 3 update, or just in the third party upcoming games trailer. Either way, I do think we will see it on the main stage at Sony.

I don't agree with what you said about them just announcing it with a youtube video. After E3 2015, Shenmue became a big deal thanks to the limelight that was shined on it. It made people who have not heard of the series curious about what it is and why it is so highly regarded. As I keep saying, Sega only made/will make remasters for the easy cash, and if they announce it on their youtube channel, it will get a response but it most likely won't reach those people who were curious back in 2015. Most people will have forgotten the name of the game lol.

In answer to your question, we have seen remakes on the main stage plenty of times. Crash, Infinite Warfare/Modern Warfare, Wind Waker, Skyrim, Day of the Tenticle, Grim Fandango, Last of Us, Dangaronpa, Uncharted. These come to mind but there are a shit ton more.

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: Monkei
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:33 am

I've expressed views similar to what Himuro is saying on here before. Whilst I really hope it'll be at E3, and am still very much excited for the possibility of it, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA just tweeted an announcement or something and then release it in the following weeks (unless Sony have a hand in it that is).

Don't get me wrong though, I still feel an E3 announcement is possible and I'd definitely prefer it.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, SheepheadCG
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:43 am

Jibby wrote: I've expressed views similar to what Himuro is saying on here before. Whilst I really hope it'll be at E3, and am still very much excited for the possibility of it, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA just tweeted an announcement or something and then release it in the following weeks (unless Sony have a hand in it that is).

Don't get me wrong though, I still feel an E3 announcement is possible and I'd definitely prefer it.

According to the latest Sega Europe tweets, promised annoucement for PC ports are coming.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 1815455747

The question is when and if Shenmue HD will be included in the announcement, but for several reasons, E3 sounds very likely to me.

Wait & See... (usual business)
Last edited by Kiske on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Jibby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am

Kiske wrote:Wait & See... (usual business)

Of course! It's just fun to speculate :P
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:20 pm

SheepheadCG wrote:
Himuro wrote:

I didn't say anything about stage time, but if we were to see it on the stage it would be in 1 of 2 ways. Either following a section with a Shenmue 3 update, or just in the third party upcoming games trailer. Either way, I do think we will see it on the main stage at Sony.

I don't agree with what you said about them just announcing it with a youtube video. After E3 2015, Shenmue became a big deal thanks to the limelight that was shined on it. It made people who have not heard of the series curious about what it is and why it is so highly regarded. As I keep saying, Sega only made/will make remasters for the easy cash, and if they announce it on their youtube channel, it will get a response but it most likely won't reach those people who were curious back in 2015. Most people will have forgotten the name of the game lol.

In answer to your question, we have seen remakes on the main stage plenty of times. Crash, Infinite Warfare/Modern Warfare, Wind Waker, Skyrim, Day of the Tenticle, Grim Fandango, Last of Us, Dangaronpa, Uncharted. These come to mind but there are a shit ton more.

Okay. Thanks for the clarification on the remasters announced on the stage.

It's not that I don't agree E3 wouldn't help, because of course it would, I'm just not convinced that Sega would go that route. I think a lot of you place too much emphasis on E3 when E3 has kind of been slowly dying for a few years now. But it makes sense that you place E3 so highly because it was where Shenmue III was revealed. There are so many game conventions now from Pax to PSX that waiting for an E3 announcement is considered oldhat now. Hell, many publishers flat out have their own conventions now, from Blizzard to Bethesda further diluting the necessity for E3 even further. And while it's true those games you listed were announced on the stage, how many were announced at E3? Not that many I think. For the most part, remasters don't get much screen time on the stage. Companies simply announce it and show the logo half the time. I think you're over estimating the effect an E3 announcement would have. Where would they announce it? Sony's conference where it'd be lost in the shuffle? Or at Sega's conference that generally has less viewers?

Square Enix revealed FFXII Zodiac Age in a teaser trailer with no convention stage and it has 1.6 million views. There's plenty of ways to get exposure in today's times and an E3 reveal doesn't have to be the only way. Would an E3 reveal be helpful? Sure. But at the end of the day it's just a remaster and there's a billion of ways to get Shenmue HD's name out.

Also your premise makes kind of no sense. People have forgotten the name of Shenmue? Unlikely. The reason Shenmue III's reveal at E3 was so huge is because even if people aren't familiar with the games, they're familiar with the name. I simply refuse to believe that someone who watches E3 conferences live also doesn't read at least one game website or news source that would be very much make a post/video/article about Shenmue HD existing.

The contention I have with your conclusion isn't that E3 would be helpful for a remaster, because of course it would. It's that your contending that it's the best or only way to get the name to the masses when all Sega really needs to do is make a reveal trailer, put it on YouTube, and have some game site make an article about it, and youtubers make videos discussing it. There's so many ways to market now that waiting nearly half a year just to reveal it at E3 makes no sense.

If Shenmue III is at E3 this year, it'd be great if it were paired with an HD announcement for 1 and 2 but as Spag's said, it'd take a miracle for Ys net and Sega to have that kind of synergetic collaboration.

Finally, the main point you have made is that an E3 announcement is a "guaranteed success" when Day of the Tentacle Remastered has only sold 100k copies on Steam. Comparitively, Sega released Valkyria Chronicles on Steam out of nowhere and it has sold almost a million copies.

Would an E3 announcement be nice? Sure.

Is it likely? Maybe, maybe not.

Is it necessary for Shenmue HD's success? No. Though I'd certainly prefer it.

Is it the "guaranteed success" that you think it is? No, absolutely not.
Last edited by Himuro on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:42 pm

That Slovakian rumor said the remasters are coming in April, the new rumor says the remasters are practically finished.

The stars are aligning folks! :P

Rikitatsu has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 pm

I never said that it would be a guaranteed success lol... but it 100% would help push more copies. (I like how you took the most niche game of all of them though and called it a failure though).

In my eyes it just makes more sense for them to do it along side a Shenmue 3 update. Sony are helping push Shenmue 3 with the marketing, I think it would be wise from both parties to push S1 and S2 remasters as much as they can.

As I said many posts back, if not E3, then GDC, or PAX or TGS etc. GDC is currently going on right now and it could happen there also. You're right that they could just announce it randomly on their youtube and the press would obviously boost that presence so everyone will hear about it, but I also don't think this is the route they will go.

It's just my opinion, and we'll wait and see what happens.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:22 pm

How long do you guys think it takes to port those 2 games and how much would it cost them? Any idea
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby BigTuna » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 pm

I have a good feeling about this. I'm almost positive we'll be seeing HD remasters this year. Let's all hope.

BigTuna has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, SickOctopus
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Gromber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 pm

they should add the spanish translation, already done by fans.
Gromber
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:27 pm

It would be fantastic but because legal issues I don't know if its possible. The thing is they should translate it to more language, it's not the first time I read some people they would only buy them if its translated
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:26 pm

I must concede... while I'll always be cautiously skeptical... I am feeling a very pleasant nostalgia tinged breeze in the winds of the Force...

... it might just be the impending release of Zelda. But there's something else, too. A presence. Something I've not felt since... *abruptly walks away* lol

Seriously though, I do have a feeling. For whatever (nothing at all) that's worth.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III