Shenmue 3's overall reception

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3's metacritic (Total votes: 31)

100 absolute masterpiece
6%
90+
13%
80+
19%
70+
32%
60+
16%
50+
6%
Below 50
6%

Re: Shenmue 3's overall reception

Postby sand4fish » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:48 pm

KidMarine wrote: In the 70s. Same as every game that doesn't have a $100 million ad campaign behind it/the reviewer isn't personal friends with the developers. Take some points off for being Japanese too.

It seems the likes of Persona 5 and Nier Automata tell a different story.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:16 pm

Something in the 80s is feasible, I guess. S2 ranks at 88 on Metacritic and while S1 is not on Metacritic, it ranks at 89-90 on GameRanikings.

I think it will be key for the game to be bug-free and have a great fighting system. Graphics- and animations-wise it just needs to be ok.

The great characters and fantastic bgm will go a long way for S3. Also, as the story moves on, I guess everzthing will grow more and more complex and intertwined, so it will be interesting to follow. The beautiful backdrop of the Guilin region will make for some great scenes too.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 pm

KidMarine wrote: In the 70s. Same as every game that doesn't have a $100 million ad campaign behind it/the reviewer isn't personal friends with the developers. Take some points off for being Japanese too.

drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:55 pm

sand4fish wrote:

they don't even know what those games are. stuck in 2000 with their bitter minds.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

they don't even know what those games are. stuck in 2000 with their bitter minds.

Wow, you have like a personal hate boner against Shenmue. Seriously, first you spread nonsense about the review scores of previous installments and now this? You don't seem like you're a fan at all. And really, "bitter minds"? Bitter about what?
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 pm

drunkensailor wrote:

Oh please. To deny that the gaming media isn't massively corrupt and in bed with certain publishers is wilful ignorance.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Until we see gameplay, your guess is as good as mine. No one here knows what level of quality the team will attain based on a couple hastily thrown together trailers with unfinished assets.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:57 am

KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Oh please. To deny that the gaming media isn't massively corrupt and in bed with certain publishers is wilful ignorance.

I would love for you to bring up any evidence you have, but I'm sure you don't have any. enjoy your tinfoil hat.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:34 am

drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

I would love for you to bring up any evidence you have, but I'm sure you don't have any. enjoy your tinfoil hat.

Call Of Duty. That's the only "evidence" you need.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:00 am

drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Off the top of my head:

Polygon accepts $750,000 from Microsoft before they even launch: http://rebrn.com/re/polygon-accepted-from-microsoft-to-create-a-promotional-document-367703/

Polygon writer gives positive coverage to developer he is not only friends with, but supports financially via Patreon: https://archive.is/kLRaf

Kotaku claim that anyone who complains about Call of Duty is "stupid", "idiots", "obnoxious elitists" and "assholes" whilst also running an extensive Call of Duty ad campaign on their site - https://archive.is/KntqD

Kotaku and Polygon both extensively defended Diablo III's always online DRM, going as far as to attack anyone who criticised it as "ignorant" whilst also running extensive ads for the game - https://imgur.com/Rka05H1

Journalist is flown to resort by Activision, later whilst other reviewers marked the latest Call of Duty down for poor AI, linear gameplay, and uneven pacing, he praised it as the “ultimate refinement of the franchise formula” and “the best Call of Duty ever.”

Ubisoft hands out free $200 Tablets to reviewers at Watch_Dogs event. Coincidentally it's critical score is almost double the user score on Metacritic - https://wolfsgamingblog.com/2014/04/15/ubisoft-handed-out-free-nexus-7-tablets-to-watch-dogs-preview-event-attendees/

Oh and remember when review copies of Dante's Inferno came with $200 in cash? There's something to be said for bluntness - https://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/ea-marketers-send-joystiq-a-200-check-and-we-save-their-souls/

And let's not even get into the big ones like the Driv3r debacle. Or the Kane & Lynch controversy. Or DoritoGate.

The idea that games journalism isn't massively corrupt and incompetent is just insanity. All journalism is rotten, I've worked in 2 different fields of journalism, but games journalism is the worst of the worst. I cannot fathom why anyone would ever defend it (unless they're a games journalist).

KidMarine has received 3 thanks from: Elevensixty, Mystere, Thief
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Fans will give it 80s-100s. Journos and bloggers will give it 60s-80s. It will really have to WOW non-fans to break out of the Kickstarter mold.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Thief » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Corruption is absolutely everywhere. People like to use “conspiracy theorist” as a derogatory but anyone who genuinely doesn’t believe conspiracy exists is an idiot.

That said, shenmue 3 will probably be in the 70-80 range. The public has never liked shenmue. I don’t expect that to change.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Abraham_1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:17 am

Thief wrote: The public has never liked shenmue.

I disagree. Well, depends what you mean by public. If you're referring to all people who play games (including mobas), then yeah I agree. However, if you consider the public to be anyone who regularly follows gaming news and has heard of or goes out their way to play Shenmue, then I'm sure the majority have a positive opinion on it. And, if anything, that target market has become larger today. I find that those who dislike Shenmue tend to be a vocal minority who over emphasise its flaws for comedic or controversial reasons. Then there are those who don't care about the game but just hate Kickstarter. However, just look at youtubers, people who post on forums etc who have just played the game blind; they tend to enjoy it.

It's also clear that Shenmue is a game best played alone the first time; those who record themsleves playing through it alone tend to have a more positive opinion than those who stream/play it with others on camera. For examples, compare Joel from Vinesauce, Vashzaron, Rock Paper Mario, Bonefoot and Goodbye18000's playthroughs with Game Informer, Giant Bomb and Funhaus's. These are all people who played it blind (mentioning GT wouldn't count); the Ines who played it alone liked/loved it. This is because such an immersive game is best played alone (ie you wouldn't play a JRPG with others usually). A little off-topic, but goes to show that maybe it's not as rare to like shenmue with no attachment to the series as one might think.

Whilst I do believe Shenmue can be considered niche, I do think its niche is over exaggerated at times. There is definitely demand out there for ''slice-of-life'' games; just look at the sales of The Sims, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing and the recent Stardew Valley. Something about those games draws us to them. Even Persona starting selling a lot better after Persona 3, which included slice-of-life stuff.

Sorry if I rambled haha
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby sand4fish » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:34 am

KidMarine wrote: The idea that games journalism isn't massively corrupt and incompetent is just insanity. All journalism is rotten, I've worked in 2 different fields of journalism, but games journalism is the worst of the worst. I cannot fathom why anyone would ever defend it (unless they're a games journalist).

Game journalism can be indeed the worst kind. They will go to any lengths to get an exclusive access, even something like a freaking screenshot of a game in development and willing to trade favorable reviews for that. Probably their closest peers, the film journalists, even would laugh at their lack of self respect. The problem is that the 'field' lacks an established discipline. It's not like in order to be an IGN game reviewer you have to go to art & film or journalism school. Most even lack any sort of critical thinking. Example? Hardly any of them tries to think what is it that makes a game a RPG. They will call any Zelda, Dark Souls or Castlevania Symphony of the Night a RPG nowadays because said games might have stats and some level of character progression. Worst yet, it's the rating system. What is the difference in quality of a 7.1 game from a 7.9 one? Too much water? GTFOH. They themselves don't know the criteria for their own system.

That being said, let's not blow this out of proportion as none of these people are out there to downgrade Yu Suzuki's game if he doesn't hand them some money. It's not a mob/triad type of world as I highly doubt this would fly in the long run. Proof? The indie scene seems to be flourishing with many of their games receiving even higher praises than their AAA peers. Japanese developed games seem to be doing fine critically and commercially too as of lately. The worst that happens is this industry is that these reviewers might give bloated scores to the bigger developers' productions, but it's not like the game community is not unaware of these.

As mentioned in my earlier posts, plenty of solid budgeted kickstarter games got positive reviews from journalists and gamers alike, such as The Banner Saga, The Broken Age and Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2. As long as Shenmue 3 doesn't turn into a Mighty No 9, we should be fine.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:52 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
drunkensailor wrote:

Call Of Duty. That's the only "evidence" you need.

you mean the game that got absolutely trashed by professional reviewers last year? you don't even know what you are talking about and I doubt you ever played call of duty.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III