My ideas for Shenmue III's combat system (poll).

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

New 4 limb system or Shenmue I & II/Virtua Fighter inspired combat (Total votes: 12)

4 limb system
17%
Shenmue I and II style
83%

My ideas for Shenmue III's combat system (poll).

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:53 pm

I've always thought that combat systems in games should be very deep and technical. In the case of Shenmue, it should accurately depict the depth and complexity of actual martial arts/fighting and Ryo's fighting style. One is a new 4 limb system (like Tekken) and the other is a modified version of Shenmue I and II/Virtua Fighter combat. So anyway, here they are:

4 limb system:
Attacks- square is left arm, triangle is right arm, x is left leg and o is right leg.
Movement- push L3 twice in any direction to dash, click L3 to sprint and use L3 for general movement. Click R3 to switch stance.
(NEW!)Head movement system- 360 degrees head movement using R3 (right stick).
(NEW!) Directional parrying system- press L1 to parry attacks from the left side, R1 for the right side and L1+R1 for center attacks. L2 to parry attacks to the body from the left side (the rest should be obvious).
Throws (not sure what the best button mapping should be for these)- square+x to throw left side, triangle+o to throw right side (using the left thumbstick plus the commands to do different throws)

Shenmue I and II style:
Attacks- square for arm attacks, x for leg attacks.
Movement- flick L3 twice to dash, hold L2 and use the left stick to sprint.
Head movement- same as the 4 limb system.
Parry system- press triangle and flick in the direction that the strike is coming to parry.
Throws- press o and use the left stick to do different throws (same as Shenmue I and II).

With the head movement system, we can do stuff like this Image and with the parry system, we can do stuff like this Image

So that's a wrap. Would love to hear which one everyone prefers out of the two. Also if you can, explain why you think it's better suited or better than the other. Thanks!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Re: My ideas for Shenmue III's combat system (poll).

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:03 am

The original because we know that it works. A totally new (and more complex) combat system could annoy fans of the previous games and make the game harder for them to play. It could also make it harder for less experienced players to get into the game as it would require more skill. Additionally, being able to move the head around by itself would be difficult to manage for the player. They'd have to keep switching their thumb from the buttons to the thumbstick.

All my opinions.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:56 am

Sounds too complicated and I'm sure Yu Suzuki said he's going to simplify the combat in SIII.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby sutoji » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:34 pm

HOW ABOUT A TURN BASED COMBAT SYSTEM YO THAT WOULD BE DOPE LIKE POKEMON YOOOOOOO SICK
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Well, this is a guy who thinks he can Tweet Bill Gates into giving Yu Suzuki $50 million.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Sounds too complicated and I'm sure Yu Suzuki said he's going to simplify the combat in SIII.

The more complex the system, the better it is and the more depth and replay value the game will have. The fact that Yu Suzuki wants to simplify the combat is pretty worrying to me. I mean, it's not like the combat in Shenmue I and II was anything crazy hard. Making the combat simpler than it was in Shenmue I and II can only mean that it'll be something along the lines of the Arkham games or Sleeping Dogs which had a HORRIBLE combat system made for babies. Yu Suzuki is making a big mistake here.

Also, what does the $50 mil thing have to do with this? Stay on topic, will ya?!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Well, he wants to simplify it, so send a message to him by carrier pigeon if you disagree.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:56 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Well, he wants to simplify it, so send a message to him by carrier pigeon if you disagree.

Good idea. I'll contact them by Kickstarter.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:19 am

I just want the game forces me again to do the right timing to block, instead keeping the button pressed to be invincible against hits. The rest matters little to me.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby BlueMue » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:30 am

Why should a Virtua Fighter based system change to something Tekken based?
I don't really like the thought of switching to something not YS and I don't like that system all that much honestly.
More importantly Yu Suzuki is someone who doesn't get influence from other games so why would he ever think of copying something?

I definately don't need a whole lot of change to the system we already have. Just some minor tweaks to the camera and lock-on so it's even more controllable. It should not be simplified to feel like other open world games. It should still feel like a fighting game. Might have its downsides in a group fight but shines all the more in a 1v1 situation.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby gillian_seed » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:37 am

I don't understand that wish for changing what was already perfect, and not only about a combat system, but for everything. But well... let's trust YS.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:20 pm

BlueMue wrote: Why should a Virtua Fighter based system change to something Tekken based?
I don't really like the thought of switching to something not YS and I don't like that system all that much honestly.
More importantly Yu Suzuki is someone who doesn't get influence from other games so why would he ever think of copying something?

I definately don't need a whole lot of change to the system we already have. Just some minor tweaks to the camera and lock-on so it's even more controllable. It should not be simplified to feel like other open world games. It should still feel like a fighting game. Might have its downsides in a group fight but shines all the more in a 1v1 situation.

Well I wasn't sure, so that's why I posted both in order to see what the community thinks. The 4 limb system is very deep and complex but then again, the new additions to the I and II style system will also make for a very interesting and unique system.

I mean, it is a new Shenmue so it should feel fresh in some aspects like the combat system. Although the combat system in Shenmue I and II is almost perfect, so I don't know!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Return to Shenmue III