Yu Suzuki Interview - Retro Games Expo 2016

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Yu Suzuki Interview - Retro Games Expo 2016

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:02 pm

Dojo member Switch has translated an interview with Yu Suzuki which took place on August 29th at the Retro Games Expo 2016.

The interview asks Suzuki about his life as a young boy, why he chose to work at Sega and how some of his famous arcade games came into being. Suzuki also talks about the aspects of arcade game creation that are most important, and gives some advice on the essential attributes of a game developer.

You can view the complete interview on Switch's blog, PhantomRiverStone.com, here.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Nankeiro, The_Intruder
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview - Retro Games Expo 2016

Postby Giorgio » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:51 pm

My most favourite quote from this interview:
Build up as many experiences as you can of successes and failures – either is fine. Immerse yourself and experience things other people don’t. These will eventually form your own standards. Don’t think about succeeding or failing. I want people to go all-out for what they want to do. That’s the first step, I believe.

Giorgio has received 3 thanks from: BlueMue, Switch, The_Intruder
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview - Retro Games Expo 2016

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Mine's too with the one above about the plurality of personal influences in one game. I hope the employees within the team are not intimated by proposing their ideas, including the craziest ones, to the leading staff. As we saw in the NHK documentary, Suzuki seems to fairly rely on the imagination of his developers and associates in his work method, with an apparent success.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Return to News and Updates