Cédric Biscay interview by Shenmue Master

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Cédric Biscay interview by Shenmue Master

Postby Team Yu » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:21 am

French fan site Shenmue Master has published its new interview with Shenmue III co-producer Cédric Biscay, which can be read in English at this link.

Cédric speaks of his role in the revival of the series, and again stresses the importance of Sega releasing new versions of Shenmue 1 & 2 on modern systems.

The campaign to #SaveShenmueHD in time for Shenmue III continues every 3rd of the month with the traditional Tweetathon. You can pre-load a message for automatic participation on the day at TeamYu.net/HD

Team Yu has received 6 thanks from: Anonymous81, Monkei, Mr357, Shendream, Sonoshee, Spaghetti
Team Yu
Team Yu Staff
Team Yu Staff

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by Shenmue Master

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:42 am

17/ Let me talk with Cédric Biscay the fan of Shenmue, not the Shenmue III co-producer. Do you prefer to strictly meet your deadline or reach perfection for Shenmue III?

Cédric Biscay: "As a fan, I obviously want the most perfect game possible but it's not incompatible with the current deadline."

That's nice to know. I still think it'll slip (and what game doesn't these days), but it's nice to know Cedric thinks YSnet can polish the game and still have it out for the end of next year.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:48 am

I was just about to post this update - great work Team Yu! :)
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:35 am

So S3 will better sell, or else. S1 & 2 remasters or no remasters. Even with the first two games not availlable on PC/PS4, if they do a good summary of the first two games, we should be able to get a million copies/downloads sold, especially since we're on two platforms this time.

I mean, Firewatch did it, Life is Strange did it... Why shouldn't S3 sell more than a million times?

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: mceja
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:51 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I mean, Firewatch did it, Life is Strange did it... Why shouldn't S3 sell more than a million times?

They're games press indie darlings, which Shenmue decidedly isn't.

But then again, I don't see anything really stopping the same audience who bought those games from getting into Shenmue either; short of a focused hate campaign from parts of the press.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 am

I think we give the press that hates Shenmue little credit.

To be fair to them, a lot of them haven't played the games and just didn't grow up with them. Shenmue 1 is almost twenty years old. That's almost like expecting someone in the era of the original playstation to know and have played Atari games. It's reasonable to be skeptical of something like that resurfacing and wondering if it it'll fit games of today, especially if you're not too knowledgeable about it.

I think they perceive Shenmue as old hat and outdated. If the game is great, their opinion will turn around. After all, who doesn't love this story? A dream project 15 years in the making? It's such a beautiful story. I don't think people WANT Shenmue III to fail. I just think they are skeptical of the concept and the series and it's up to the game to prove them wrong and seal its place.

Don't worry about them. They're ignorant and while I know Shenmue has its haters, even someone I know who absolutely HATES the games is rooting for them and even backed the Kickstarter. I think at the end of the day a lot of people are rooting for the game but just don't believe that YSnet can pull off a Shenmue game with 6 million dollars or they don't think the concept will good for today's games.

Time will tell. Wait for the December re-reveal and stay positive.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:16 am

Oh, sure. I'm confident a lot of doubters are going to be shut the fuck up by the re-reveal, but some parts of the press are going to have Shenmue III in their sights no matter what.

While having the loudest voices, they are also some of the most uninformed; which is why the "OMG SONY FUNDING SHENMUE 3" shit continues even to this day. Correct them on their bad information and you get branded a fanboy. Doesn't matter how many quotes and sources you have, call them on their bullshit and they plug their ears.

Games journalism is a massive joke.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:54 am

Game journalism is a joke but game players still like great games. If Shenmue III is a great game, things will be a-okay. We need to think positive and not think about this negativity. The "Sony funding" thing will go away as the game starts to get marketing and actually exists in the conscious mind and not in just the abstract. Give it time.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:10 am

The roadblock there is that Shenmue is niche and probably not going to be universally well received, so to some degree potential players may just follow their gaming "personality" of choice's opinion rather than forming their own.

I don't think it'll be that bad, really. If III continues as II did in refining the formula without changing what Shenmue actually is, it'll find its audience in both the press and with players. Some people have axes to grind, though, and the quality of the game won't matter because they'll always find something to rag on/write a badly researched think-piece about.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:13 am

Dark Souls, Life Is Strange, and more niche are as well. Still have their audiences.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:36 am

I wouldn't say they're as niche as Shenmue, but I get what you're saying; and I agree. The gaming landscape is wide enough to accommodate and sustain a series like Shenmue, but I think we'll be lucky to find someone major in the press who champions Shenmue in the same way people championed Dark Souls and Life is Strange. The series has too much baggage, I guess?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:44 am

I think we all know full well that good games don't always receive the sales they deserve, even when the media does give them a fair shake. So it's reasonable to anticipate an uphill struggle with one that's been subjected to baseless scorn and ridicule right out of the blocks.

That's not being negative. It's being prepared to work hard to counterbalance those influences, so that we're not left stunned and helpless in the wake of a worst case scenario. We haven't waited 15 years to leave that up to chance.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Shendream
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Himuro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:01 am

Not all good games make money or are critically well received but Shenmue III is also a record breaking Kickstarter fundraiser and has over 15 years of hype. Given the reception to its reveal and the success of its Kickstarter, especting an uphill struggle for this game sounds like blatant fear mongering. Is there reason to believe Shenmue III will get a bad rap? Sure, maybe, but certainly not universally. It has more wind behind its sails than you're giving it credit for.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:10 am

Himuro wrote: Not all good games make money or are critically well received but Shenmue III is also a record breaking Kickstarter fundraiser and has over 15 years of hype.

I'm not so sure that'll work in its benefit, but then again; that length of hype is only really contained to fans and I'm almost completely certain at this point that the game will satisfy the majority of us.

The Kickstarter stuff is really only a stick to beat the game with if imperfections are picked upon. Look forward to position switching from a lot of people in the future when they change from "Is $6 million enough to make Shenmue III?" to "OMG SCAMMING YU SUZUKI DOES NOTHING WITH HUGE $6 MILLION FROM FANS".

I think it'll surprise a lot of people in terms of scope and depth for a KS game, though, but YSnet and Shibuya Productions probably won't get the appropriate credit for the hard work and some ignorant people will chalk it up to Sony.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: mceja
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:18 am

Himuro wrote:especting an uphill struggle for this game sounds like blatant fear mongering.

Okay, if that's where this conversation is going, I'm out. :)
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to News and Updates