Finally got my Shenmue tattoo

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Finally got my Shenmue tattoo

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Now that i'm really thinking about it, I would get one in the typography of the Omikron font:

I could do research in the game and make a reference to the Dreamers, Kay'l, Boz, Soks, or something ancient in the game. I might get something with lyrics to David Bowie's songs too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Peter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Well you should, and dont let anyone talk you out of it if you really want it that bad. Also dont let anyone make you think you are a geek or a nerd or anything. MK touched upon it, and it is in a sense a bit geeky. But at the end of the day its something i am deeply passionate about, and something thats been a part of me for over a decade.

On that basis, my Shenmue tattoo is absolutely no different to the hundreds of Batman, Superman, Playboy, Betty Boop, Manchester United tatoos etc that i have seen people with. Lots of people this day and age have such related tattoos, and i feel proud to wear it due to how i feel about Shenmue. Its no different to other peoples at its core.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm

I figure if I get something that looks cool and i'm comfortable with, it wouldn't matter. I hang with the freaks and geeks. People who'd say stuff like "NEEEEEEEEERD" aren't people I hang out with or I want to be around to begin with.

And since coming back from LA, i'm really comfortable to know that there are alot of people who are like that there. The font comes across as artsy and I can always say "it's from a very old game that has David Bowie in it, its made by the people who did Heavy Rain" so I think it'll do fine.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:14 pm

I think Pete should get the Tiger on Ryo's Jacket on his back then get a bandaid tatt on his cheek.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Peter wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote:Looks smexy, Peter.

I've been considering - and probably will, within in a year or two - getting the Phoenix/Dragon art from the Shenmue 2 menu tatted, probably on chest to the right or left.

I think the image is awesome and means a lot beyond the game itself. I gotta dwell on it a bit longer.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will find it hard to find a good artist who will put his name to that piece. The simple way of putting it, is that there are size ratios and dimensions that tattoos work in, and an artist will more than likely say thay due to the small gaps etc in that piece, it will not makea good tattoo and that over time the gaps will close and distort the image.

it would need to be done to scale, and basicially, it would need to be huge to retain the detail. Im taking a full back job.

This isnt gospel btw, it will be your money and you can choose what to get, but it would matter to me who exactly is doing my ink.

I had thought about this, and like I said, I'm sitting on the idea but have made no serious inquiries about it. I'm not sure how close to the original design the tattoo art would end up being, and whether I'd try for a black ink outline or actually color it in (in which case the small gaps and nuances of the original design would likely be forgone).
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:57 am

Peter wrote:Well you should, and dont let anyone talk you out of it if you really want it that bad. Also dont let anyone make you think you are a geek or a nerd or anything. MK touched upon it, and it is in a sense a bit geeky. But at the end of the day its something i am deeply passionate about, and something thats been a part of me for over a decade.

On that basis, my Shenmue tattoo is absolutely no different to the hundreds of Batman, Superman, Playboy, Betty Boop, Manchester United tatoos etc that i have seen people with. Lots of people this day and age have such related tattoos, and i feel proud to wear it due to how i feel about Shenmue. Its no different to other peoples at its core.

Yeah, i feel that tattoos related to video games or cartoons are a bit "geeky", but that's just my personal opinion. That you actually had the guts to get it already shows that you have enough self-esteem to make your own choices. As cypress hill already sung: "Some people tell me that i need help - some people can f**k off and go to hell". Personally i don't have any tattoos and probably never will as otherwise i probably could not go to any onsen in japan any more, over there tattoos are still often considered to be related to Yakuza, although young people already think about it differently. In the end it doesn't count what others think is nerdish or cool, but what you think yourself. Never hesitate to do the right thing.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm

nice Peter! I always wanted a shenmue tatoo but never had the balls to get one.

You have proven yourself to be a bad ass dude.

"And he has a tatoo on his arm..."
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm

awesome Peter.

when i can afford it i will make one similar to yours, with green lettering and cherry blossom petals falling.

don't hide the meaning of the tattoo.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 pm

When I get my Blue Dreamcast Tatt we three should just "when our tattoo's combine we form..." SEGATA SANSHIRO!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNwYPdEBTc[/youtube]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm

actually i am also intent on tattoing the blue spiral and Sonic in his 'i'm waiting' pose.

it's a matter of time and money.

if i could ever save enough, a full blown Dragon of Dojima back tat maybe, just maybe could also be a possibly.
but alas, i'm planning a non-gaming back tattoo for a very long time now, that is even cheaper and more personal so it's mostly out of the question.

it's just that, when i think about it, damn, that would be cool.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Been wanting my DC tatt for years and same thing just a matter of money.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Spokane » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Where, your arm?
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Yep. Upper arm
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 am

I wanted to get either the Phoenix mirror or the dragon mirror.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:15 pm

A Shenmue tattoo is awesome enough, but Kenny, if you get that Omikron tat I will marry you. And you can't say no, it's been decided by Ix. Well okay, I'll probably just buy you a Quanta Cola, but 1000 kudos points to go with it. :D
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue