Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes (ringtone)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes (ringtone)

Postby freakycritter » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Sonoshee wrote: I still think a 'Congraulations' message to Yu (via Twitter) wouldn't have hurt. It would have shown to the fans that they are indeed trying, as they recently claimed to be.

If an Epic Games employee can do it, why can't Sega, who own the IP???

Anyone think it's a case of knowing they were in the wrong but being too stubborn to admit it?

Yu said that Sega is glad its being made. I expect a PR push sooner or later.

It is a very unusal set-up, of a corporate entity to lent a IP to an independent. Who knows what the appopriate behaviour there is.
freakycritter
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:36 pm

freakycritter wrote:Yu said that Sega is glad its being made. I expect a PR push sooner or later.

It is a very unusal set-up, of a corporate entity to lent a IP to an independent. Who knows what the appopriate behaviour there is.

I still think Sega should have said something... anything by now. Yu shouldn't have to cover for them.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:04 pm

freakycritter wrote: https://twitter.com/SST_V/status/623686139740712960

Aside from Skies of Arcadia and couple others, usually when Sega puts up OST stuff its because they have download release for it or its somehow avaible. Anywho its the first sign that Sega aknowledged Shenmue in very very long time.

So there are Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue ringtones now? And usually stuff like that coincides with (re-)releases of games? You guys remember this SEGA guy mentioning Skies and Shenmue as possible candidates for more HD remasters after Jet Set Radio and so on? http://kotaku.com/5893458/sega-might-actually-re-release-shenmue-in-hd-and-skies-of-arcadia

Could be coincidental or just a quick cash grab of course.. but who knows?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:36 pm

I don't know man, there's soundtracks for VF4 and Shinobi PS2 and even Kunoichi PS2 (which even less people played than Shinobi). Maybe those were put up because they made Shinobi for 3DS and a mobile VF card game, but I think they're just putting stuff up if market research suggests the audio content would be popular.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Supa » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:31 pm

More than likely. ^

Also, SEGA released an official Shenmue shirt a year or two back, let Ryo be in All - Stars Racing and All - Stars Racing Transformed, put Ryo's jacket on Xbox Live for purchase to put on an avatar, licensed a Ryo and a Lan Di statue for First 4 Figures, licensed a Ryo jacket for production by Insert Coin, licensed an art print recently by that guy who has been doing SEGA art prints, licensed the soundtrack to be remastered and pressed on vinyl recently, released this official ringtone...and...oh yeah, just handed the rights to Shenmue III over to Yu Suzuki. Presumably, they'd let him do whatever he wanted to with Shenmue. Remember, Ys Net also made Shenmue Gai, with SEGA's permission.

They have been very good to Yu Suzuki and us Shenmue fans in the grand scheme of things. Yes, we all wish they would have fully funded Shenmue III, IV, and V YEARS ago, but even though Shenmue was a pure victim of circumstance out of the gate, it was still a major financial loss for them.

Bloodstained and Might No. 9 are spiritual successors...they could've denied Yu the rights and just sat on the IP. Then, we'd NEVER get the finished story.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby lDarkWarriorl » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:01 pm

I'll definitely buy it even though I don't own any Apple products.
I sense a $2 on the 3rd campaign on the horizon.. haha
lDarkWarriorl
Creator of Earth Crisis
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: TAF_Nukem
XBL: TAF Nukem
Nintendo FC: DukeNukm
Steam: DukeNukem

Postby Amir » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:05 pm

lDarkWarriorl wrote: I'll definitely buy it even though I don't own any Apple products.

You need an iPhone to buy it (doesn't appear on iTunes store on desktop).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby lDarkWarriorl » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:07 am

Amir wrote:
lDarkWarriorl wrote: I'll definitely buy it even though I don't own any Apple products.

You need an iPhone to buy it (doesn't appear on iTunes store on desktop).

I'll pay my coworker tomorrow then
lDarkWarriorl
Creator of Earth Crisis
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: TAF_Nukem
XBL: TAF Nukem
Nintendo FC: DukeNukm
Steam: DukeNukem

Postby freakycritter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:25 am

shenmue852 wrote: I don't know man, there's soundtracks for VF4 and Shinobi PS2 and even Kunoichi PS2 (which even less people played than Shinobi). Maybe those were put up because they made Shinobi for 3DS and a mobile VF card game, but I think they're just putting stuff up if market research suggests the audio content would be popular.

Virtua Fighter OSTs are up cause its still a popular brand (you can find arcade machines of multiple entries in Japan here and there I think). Also the Shinobi games got PS2 Classics releases.
freakycritter
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Monkei » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:03 am

Supa wrote: More than likely. ^

Also, SEGA released an official Shenmue shirt a year or two back, let Ryo be in All - Stars Racing and All - Stars Racing Transformed, put Ryo's jacket on Xbox Live for purchase to put on an avatar, licensed a Ryo and a Lan Di statue for First 4 Figures, licensed a Ryo jacket for production by Insert Coin, licensed an art print recently by that guy who has been doing SEGA art prints, licensed the soundtrack to be remastered and pressed on vinyl recently, released this official ringtone...and...oh yeah, just handed the rights to Shenmue III over to Yu Suzuki. Presumably, they'd let him do whatever he wanted to with Shenmue. Remember, Ys Net also made Shenmue Gai, with SEGA's permission.

While you might be right and I really don't mean to read too much into nothing here, I still think this is something different. Ryo's jacket on Xbox live was a by-product of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. So we probably have to thank Sumo Digital for that. I can't imagine SEGA actually telling them to put Shenmue stuff into and around the game. And the official shirt you're talking about.. doing a quick search, I couldn't find anything that SEGA actually released themselves, only a licensed one by Insert Coin.

Which means that in all those cases you listed, SEGA merely gave permission to use the license (unless I'm wrong about the shirt). Releasing a 20-something second ringtone might be as close to doing nothing as it gets, but it's still something. The first Shenmue related bit they released totally on their own without anybody else having to ask them "can we put this Shenmue stuff out/into the game/on our shirt/anywhere?"...

Supa wrote:They have been very good to Yu Suzuki and us Shenmue fans in the grand scheme of things.

Can't really say I agree, especially not the fans-part. Granted, handing Yu the license to continue the saga was a fair move. But in the grand scheme of things they never gave much of a damn about Shenmue, and they didn't even try to look like they did. What they did was minimal, and it never happened by their own motivation.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 am

Monkei wrote:Can't really say I agree, especially not the fans-part. Granted, handing Yu the license to continue the saga was a fair move. But in the grand scheme of things they never gave much of a damn about Shenmue, and they didn't even try to look like they did. What they did was minimal, and it never happened by their own motivation.

On the contrary, Sega has been releasing a steady amount of Shenmue merchandise these past few years. Showing that Sega acknowledges the demand for more Shenmue related products, which is more than can be said of many franchises that originated from the Dreamcast era. Plus, don't forget that it's unprecedented for any corporation to allow their IP to be used in a Kickstarter like this. Shenmue 3 exists in large part thanks to Sega's cooperation with Yu Suzuki and all those amongst the Sega fanbase who have been striving to see Shenmue continue. The success of this Kickstarter can pave the way for even more Shenmue support in the future. That perhaps is might not be too much longer before Sega releases HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2.

Kintor has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, shenmue852, Supa
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby James Brown » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:57 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: I searched "Shenmue" on my iPhone's ITUNES app and found it fairly easily. Not sure what else you can do, unless it's not available in Europe (i'm in America).

It's available in UK atleast, I got it yesturday :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Supa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:17 am

Monkei wrote:
Supa wrote: More than likely. ^

While you might be right and I really don't mean to read too much into nothing here, I still think this is something different. Ryo's jacket on Xbox live was a by-product of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. So we probably have to thank Sumo Digital for that. I can't imagine SEGA actually telling them to put Shenmue stuff into and around the game. And the official shirt you're talking about.. doing a quick search, I couldn't find anything that SEGA actually released themselves, only a licensed one by Insert Coin.

Which means that in all those cases you listed, SEGA merely gave permission to use the license (unless I'm wrong about the shirt). Releasing a 20-something second ringtone might be as close to doing nothing as it gets, but it's still something. The first Shenmue related bit they released totally on their own without anybody else having to ask them "can we put this Shenmue stuff out/into the game/on our shirt/anywhere?"...

Supa wrote:They have been very good to Yu Suzuki and us Shenmue fans in the grand scheme of things.

Can't really say I agree, especially not the fans-part. Granted, handing Yu the license to continue the saga was a fair move. But in the grand scheme of things they never gave much of a damn about Shenmue, and they didn't even try to look like they did. What they did was minimal, and it never happened by their own motivation.

T shirt: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=46832

Fans like to say that "x company doesn't care about us", when in reality, business is a lot harder than most know it all fans seem to think. There are conflicting figures as to what Shenmue actually cost. We've heard $70 million, $47 million, and $20 million. If we tookt he cheapest of those prices, it still held the record for the most expensive game ever made for years. Due to circumstances ALONE, Shenmue never had a chance. It started life on a dying console that was riddled with mistakes at the corporate level (Saturn), and then remade for the Dreamcast, a console with short lived success. SEGA POURED money into the project, and pretty much gave Yu Suzuki a blank check. Did he deliver? Absolutely. But the game only sold 1.2 million copies worldwide. Shenmue I & II were in development as one game, so as soon as it was known that they wouldn't meet release dates by including the entire game, Shenmue was split into the two games we have come to treasure: Shenmue I and Shenmue II. Shenmue II was the beginning of the franchise's trouble. It was still a remarkable game, but was released on a dying console (Dreamcast), and then picked up by an exclusive in North America by Microsoft for the Xbox. In hindsight, this was a mistake as the announcement only came that the NA Dreamcast Shenmue II was cancelled, and American gamers started importing, making Shenmue II one of the most imported games of all time as well, if I remember reading correctly. Then, by the time Shenmue IIx was FINALLY announced, there was not a lot of interest from Shenmue fans, or at least not as much as there could have been, because a lot of them already had the game. Shenmue The Movie and the included Digest Movie didn't fulfill their purpose in bringing in new gamers to the franchise, as Shenmue IIx did not sell very well at all. Like, less than 200,000 copies I think. Combined with the Shenmue II DC sales, and the rerelease it got in Japan, the game didn't sell well across the board.

Enter Shenmue Online. It started development in early 2003, and as of now remains unreleased, and was quietly shelved. SEGA almost had to go to court against the main developer JCE. They settled out of court, and Yu was allowed to continue development. It still had many troubles, so it was quietly shelved sometime in 2007, we guess. The game had a budget of almost $30 million, and all of that was wasted.

Shenmue Gai debuted in late 2010, and also was unsuccessful. SEGA allowed Ys Net to use everything Shenmue to make this game, and it didn't do well at all. Meanwhile, they continue to license merchandise, and give tiny fan services now and again, as I mentioned in my previous post.

It is so easy to say "SEGA doesn't care, SEGA doesn't care...I would have LOVED for them to give Yu a blank check to release Shenmue Online, Shenmue Gai, and Shenmue I, II, III, IV, and V in complete mega package, but how much money have they lost on this series already, and how many risks have they taken? The entire Shenmue project had an unprecedented scope in the industry.

For the history they have had, I still believe they've been very kind to Yu Suzuki and us.

Look at the timeline:

November 27th, 1998 - Virtua Fighter 3tb released in Japan, packaged with a special Project Berkely demo disc.

December 20th, 1998 - Shenmue Premiere held in Japan.

December 29th, 1999 - Shenmue I released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Japan.

November 8th, 2000 - Shenmue I released for the SEGA Dreamcast in North America.

December 1st, 2000 - Shenmue I released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Europe.

January 20th, 2001 - Shenmue The Movie debuts in Japanese movie theaters.

July 5th, 2001 - US Shenmue is released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Japan.

September 6th, 2001 - Shenmue II released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Japan.

November 13th, 2001 - SEGA Europe confirms Shenmue III is in development on their website.

November 23rd, 2001 - Shenmue II released for the SEGA Dreamcast in Europe.

December 21st, 2001 - Shenmue The Movie released on DVD in Japan.

April 1st, 2002 - All online features in the Shenmue I Passport are discontinued through all regions.

October 28th, 2002 - Shenmue II released for the Microsoft Xbox in North America.

February 2003 - Development starts on Shenmue Online.

March 6th, 2003 - Shenmue II Dorikore version released on SEGA Dreamcast as a budget release in Japan.

March 21st, 2003 - Shenmue II released for the Microsoft Xbox in Europe.

August 3rd, 2004 - SEGA of Japan, JCE, and T2 jointly announce Shenmue Online, http://www.shenmue-online.com/ and http://shenmue.joycity.com/ open.

September 17th, 2004 - During a Korean press conference, it is said that releases of Shenmue Online in Japan, North America, Europe, and Taiwan are being looked into.

September 24th, 2004 - At Tokyo Games Show 2004, SEGA says that they are looking to start service in Japan by the end of 2005.

July 28th, 2006: Shenmue Online shown at China Joy expo.

September 17th, 2008 - Yu Suzuki responds to questions about Shenmue Online: “Due to a situation, the project is in a “pending” state. But personally, I’m hoping to be reunited with Shenmue Online. I haven’t given up.”

September 21st, 2010 – Shenmue Gai open beta begins on Yahoo! Japan and Japanese phone carrier DeNA's Yahoo! Mobage network.

October 7th, 2010 - Shenmue Gai is announced for PC.

December 26th, 2011 - Support for Shenmue Gai ceases.

June 15th, 2015 - Shenmue III announced for Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Windows via Kickstarter.

As I said, ideally, SEGA would fund every Shenmue venture Yu wanted, and then some. But given what Shenmue did to the company financially (no matter how circumstantial), they have been incredibly generous with letting Yu do pretty much whatever he wanted to with the franchise, if he could fund it. This is almost as unprecedented in the industry as Shenmue's original scope and budget. And whether we like to admit or not, the longest time the community has had zero news about a Shenmue game has been either the four years between Shenmue Online being shown at China Joy and the Shenmue Gai Premiere, or Shenmue Gai ending and Shenmue III being announced. Probably the latter, as I'm sure we got some news and screenshots after the China Joy presentation. It's not the games we may have wanted, but it is the hard truth.

Supa has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Yokosuka
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:48 am

Wow I didn't know Shenmue Online had a budget of 30 fucking million. 30 million would really come in handy right now for Shenmue III and IV.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:59 am

I still don't understand the logic behind Shenmue Online. I think I remember reading it was due to the popularity of Shenmue in China, was the game even officially released there? My first ever Dreamcast in '99 was a Hong Kong model (same as JP but minus modem), but as far as I know the Dreamcast was only available on the grey/black market in mainland China. There wasn't any demand from the fans who did buy the Shenmue games for an MMO, and it's not a property that lends itself easily to the genre.

Btw, did anyone here play Shenmue Gai?

Amir has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III