Search found 28 matches

Return

Re: Outside Xbox: Let's Play Shenmue II (Xbox version obviou

Off topic: Does anyone know how to put a line through posted text? I settled for making that last line tiny but I really wanted the line through.

The brackets that are used for commands like bold and italics means this forum should be using BBCode, and the command for strikethrough text is usually [s] and [/s].

[s]It doesn't seem to be working though so I don't know if it's supported on this forum unless I'm just doing it wrong.[/s]

Edit: It looks like strikethrough isn't included in BBCode by default.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2282731&p=13856781&hilit=strikethrough#p13856781
by Ceej
Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Keep Friends

I'm surprised that people are questioning how important the line is considering....

how much weight those words carry if he really was Zhao Sun Ming's killer (or if he was somehow responsible or involved with what did happen to him.) Being killed by your best friend's son may send some thoughts running through your head about how you treat others.
by Ceej
Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenhua "really" on the candy bars???

SMDzero wrote: But isn't it weird that something IS in the game but isn't "really" happening in the in-game universe??

You obviously skipped the conversation option in Guilin when you ask Shenhua about modeling for the Japanese candy bar wrappers.
by Ceej
Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Voice Acting

Corey Marshall ftw.
by Ceej
Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 demo

I think there's pretty much a zero percent chance of the game hitting its estimated release date. I believe that the last KS update said that the game was still in the R&D stage? I'm not an expert on game development by any means but a 12 month turnaround seems way too ambitious. I feel like Summer 2018 is probably the best case scenario for the game to be released, and Holiday 2018 is probably the most realistic expectation.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if they'll end up cancelling the demo and cite the resources needed to release the game sooner as an excuse. From what I understand, demos are a lot more work than you would think, and if they're feeling pressured about delaying the game that would be an obvious thing to cut. There will be some pushback on the decision since they listed it as a KS bonus but I think it would be a smart move.

I just reread my post and I know it seems like I'm being kind of negative but I really don't mean to come off that way.
by Ceej
Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Release Date Speculation

I contacted Newegg Support to see if they'll confirm if there release date is a placeholder or not...I'll let you know when I hear back.

by Ceej
Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kotaku Unboxes and Discusses Shenmue's Limited Edition

https://kotaku.com/shenmues-beautiful-limited-edition-had-5-discs-and-2-ma-1826610503

Sega crammed a lot into its groundbreaking adventure game Shenmue, and it also managed to get five GD-ROMs and two manuals inside a standard double jewel case for the game’s limited edition in the U.S. Impressive!

Shenmue, which Sega will soon re-release in HD alongside its sequel, had the dubious honor of being the most expensive video game ever developed when it was released in 1999. Sega spent, by some estimates, $70 million crafting this detailed adventure game that places you into a Japanese city at the outset of a quest to find your father’s murderer. While Shenmue certainly had its flaws, it served as a proof of concept for today’s open-world city exploration games.

On this episode of Complete In Box, we look through Shenmue’s packaging to see how Sega sold this game to players around the world and taught them about how to play it. The manual introduces players to the game’s “Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment” concept, not to mention the “Quick Time Event” that Shenmue pioneered (for better or worse). And the game’s included “Passport” disc was one of the first times a console game let players go online.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfCDic1WkAAtisk.jpg
by Ceej
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 100 GB! S3 is not going to be small

I'm pretty sure that the storage value they presented is just a placeholder. It would be really difficult for them to give an accurate estimate for that at this stage of development.

*They also noted that the requirements are subject to change.
by Ceej
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

Still really hoping SEGA fix this. I want to suggest this releae to my friends but when seeing how it isn't even presented in widescreen its jsut embarrassing

I believe the E3 trailers showed cutscenes in widescreen. But you would be embarrassed to show your friends the game for something as minor as this? Really? lol
by Ceej
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

Sega Europe just used a gif that appears to be from the remaster

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 52513?s=09
by Ceej
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Save Transfers confirmed between 1 & 2. No transfers to 3 (as expected).

https://twitter.com/AdamKoralik/status/ ... 7313967106
by Ceej
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone who's struggling with why expanding the cutscenes from 4:3 would be so difficult should try playing with the widescreen settings in an emulated version of Shenmue for additional context.

When something isn't "on-screen" during gameplay, the game isn't fully rendering it for what I would assume are performance reasons. The textures/assets pop in as Ryo turns to them. Since the screen will literally be wider in the HD versions, you'll be able to see more of the game world at a single time.This was possible because the game is programmed to adapt to the player's actions.

Now think about cutscenes. In comparison to gameplay, these are intricately staged and the player was never meant to "see beyond" what was on the screen at a single time. For these cutscenes to properly display, d3t would need to create and stage additional assets that just aren't in the game right now. If you really think critically about this, you can see why keeping the cutscenes in 4:3 was the only feasible option.
by Ceej
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are two of the most innovative games ever made, and they still have extra special place in the hearts of almost everyone who played them. That alone makes them eligible to way better treatment than the one they recently have had so far.

I am aware of the low-price tag, the limited development budget, and the joy and excitement of walking into a game store to buy a brand-new Shenmue game off the display shelf. But allow me to ask you this simple question: what are you going out of that game store with? It isn’t a remake, not a remaster and not even a direct port. It indeed has, first and foremost, an identity crisis. so I’d simply call it: a lazy port.

When I take a look at recent (and even last-gen) HD remasters, I feel how lazy and probably rushed this port really is. I can understand and forgive the 30fps, but everything else is totally unforgiven: compressed audio, a mix of 4:3 and 16:9, no reworked models, poor looking textures, missing Passport/VMU content, saves not compatible with Shenmue 3, Denuvo etc …

When I started to read your post I fully expected to disagree with you, but I don't think you're being irrational. I just don't believe that it was realistic to expect Sega to fund a top-down remaster to make all of those extra things possible. I don't think anyone (including the people that frequent this site) would've anticipated the re-release completely taking off the way that it has. I don't think Sega was being lazy per se, I just think they simply dedicated the amount of resources that they believed were warranted for the project.

It's hard for us to be objective about something that we're all so passionate about, but based strictly off past sales figures, Shenmue probably didn't warrant the kind of remaster you were looking for (even with the success of the KS for Shenmue III). If Sega had known how crazy the hype would actually end up being, perhaps they would've devoted more resources to it, but for me, I'm just happy that it exists! I think that the re-release will definitely captivate a new audience of gamers despite the issues that it may have. There's a much more diverse and patient audience of gamers than there was back in '99, and Shenmue's pace isn't as radical in the year 2018 as it might have seemed back then.
by Ceej
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic