Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fave gaming intros

phpBB [video]
by Strikeout
Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Flying through life: Meet the man behind Panzer Dragoon

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... er-dragoon

Love the series and still looking forward to Crimson Dragon which i now would say is 100% for the new console.
by Who Really Cares?
Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your most overlooked system or game

Die Hard Vendetta. At that point I hadn't played a game like it (Deus Ex always crashed on my PC), so an FPS with stealth and slight adventure elements blew me away. Plus the fact it was a Die Hard game. The story and acting's pretty woeful like most games pre-current gen, and it always pissed me off that Bruce Willis never reprised his role (although the guy playing Al Powell did)

Little details like an almost perfectly recreated Nakatomi Plaza (used to spend ages lookin at every single bit of the place coz of how well I knew the layout from over 50 times of watching the first film, yes I was a sad cunt), the fact it realised that Bruce Willis (and John McClane as a result) is left handed.

Anyway, I thought it was always overlooked and underappreciated at the time. Played through it about five times before selling it so I could either get the PS2 or Xbox version for the multiplayer. Never got round to buying it on either though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZZpNng3jk
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Death Scenes

AUUUUUGHHHHHHHH

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEJqwuOXVJs[/youtube]
by Yama
Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Death Scenes

Hagane for SNES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vepeGUny_Js

Not completely sure if this counts on the subject of "death", but I love it anyway.
After defeating the enemy, Hagane sits on a cliff, his systems shut down, and as the credits roll we see his body wear away over a presumably long period of time.
Surprisingly poignant for a 16-bit action game.
by OL
Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EA voted the 'worst company in America" [again]

Who Really Cares? wrote: But surely company in general has to be the banks.

This times a million. No entertainment company will EVER come close to the Banks as far as "worst company ever" titles go.
by Kenny
Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EA voted the 'worst company in America" [again]

You think some bored brainwashed extremists on the internet take up a high percentage of the people that dont like EA and are signing petitions to boycott them, and not only that but have the power/ability to actually get them to the top of the list of americas worst company? Give me a break.

This isn't some poll that was conducted nationwide by the government, reaching as many households and individuals as humanly possible.
This was some poll on "consumerist.com," which I can guarantee the grand majority of Americans have never heard of (I certainly hadn't), much less taken part in one of their polls.
So yes, I do believe that overly-passionate internet videogame dorks make up a high enough percentage of the ones taking part in the poll to put EA as the "winner" of it.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't even know what LBGTBLKSTD or whatever means. That wasn't a part of my point at all. I'm not saying EA are awesome, just that Peter Moore's comment on the subject of winning the poll made sense.
by OL
Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega memories and fave Sega system

Genesis will always be my favorite of theirs. That's where I really became a videogame fan. I had an NES before it, but despite the great memories, I just hadn't reached the point of actually being passionate about games yet. That all came along with the Genny.
I've already talked at length about Wonder Boy in Monster World and Sonic 2 before, but I've also got great memories of gems like DecapAttack, Chik Chiki Boys, X-Men, World of Illusion, Toejam & Earl 2, Streets of Rage, and god knows how many others.
I recall my next door neighbor knocking on my door one Saturday and asking for my help in some game he was playing. He couldn't seem to make this jump in the last level, and wanted me to give it a try.
I made it on the first try and made him look like a fool. :lol:
And the game happened to be called Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master. Still a favorite on the system, and I still consider it to be better than Return of Shinobi, in practically all respects.

I also remember a Sunday school teacher in my neighborhood giving me and my brothers her Power Base Converter and her collection of Master System games, so there's that too. Spellcaster and the original Ys are still favorites. Now that I think about it, I guess Ys would have been my first legitimate RPG. I just hadn't recognized it at the time (didn't know what an RPG was), and didn't really consider that that was the case until just now.
Huh.
by OL
Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dark Souls

Huge sigh of relief anyone? Because that looks fucking awesome. I can't wait.
by Tuffty
Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion HD

That's awesome! One of my favorite games on the Genesis. Day frickin' one.
by Yama
Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Gangster Squad

Well, what a waste of time...
It's as if a group of people gathered around a table and started shouting things people think it's cool about the 30s gangsters, put it all together, but the movie failed so miserably. Not helping they went and use every tired old cliche and over melodramatic crap about people they didn't build up enough for me to care about.

Also, I just can't stand extreme oposites on the character department, the heros are just perfect people and the villains are cold bastards. And there were too many good guys with no personality whatsoever

I just have too much to complain and too little time, dammit!!
And what's wrong with gosling's voice?!?!
by Absentia
Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon: It's time to party

I think it looks fun. Gotta take into account that this was done in 6 months, so what would you rather have them do? A few new weapons and multiplayer maps? Why not take the time to just take an established formula, which already makes a good game in itself, take whatever little time or money there is and just go crazy with it? Low risk, gives the opportunity for the developers to go nuts and just have fun. The setting's ridiculous! I mean in this world, the apocalypse had an apocalypse. This is set after Vietnam II. Don't ask why, just revel in it.

To me, I view this as the same vein as AC4. Would a seamless, open world pirate game have necessarily got the funding without the AC name attached? Maybe not, but who's gonna complain if they end up getting a game based on a concept they've always imagined for so long? Blood Dragon is the same way. Would you have gotten this neon lighted, knowingly culturally irrelevant shooter without the Far Cry name? Probably not. Red Dead Redemption and inFamous have also done something like this, so I don't see the issue.

It looks to wear it's influences on it's sleeve (I've seen plenty of Terminator/Predator/Robocop references in 10 mins alone) and if you watch the tutorial, is knowingly self aware that it is also a game. At least it's not so self serious as most shooters pretend to be lately. I don't see the harm, looks like it'll be a blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOvBP8cc2F4
by Tuffty
Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISrz88SJNI

I never tire of this soundtrack. I'll randomly hear it or think of it every so often, and every single time I get that urge to play the game again.
So glad I bought the Digital Devil Sage 1+2 collected soundtrack years back. Still some of my favorite videogame music of all time.
by OL
Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dark

Vampire stealth game. Budget title coming to XBox 360/PS3 and PC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INdTtzqEHjs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oGFLcuiaCw[/youtube]

You know what someone needs to do? A open world Vampire game and i mean one with a big budget from a top studio.
by Who Really Cares?
Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion HD

I never have felt the love for Castle of Illusion like others so if this is a HD remake then I'll pass.

What I would love though is if they ported the sequel World of Illusion which has to be one of my favorite games ever simply for the memories. I haven't played it for about 10 years partly out of fear that it doesn't hold up but me and my brother would play that game all the time as kids.
by Riku Rose
Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tales Series

Looks like I'll be maining as Alvin, then. Really like his design and combos. This'll be my first 3D Tales game, tell me though, is any of the other ones in 3D worth playing (ones without too much animu, preferably).

Of course liking the series as much as I do, the twitch reaction would be to say "oh yeah, they're all worth playing," but taking your tastes into account, I can't actually say that's the case.
The problem is, I know you hate the cheesy anime stuff, and yet that's pretty much a hallmark of the series overall. You did say you were enjoying Eternia before though, so maybe you're a little more open to it then I had thought.

Either way, probably the most worthwhile of the 3D ones I've played is Tales of the Abyss (either for the PS2 or the 3DS; they're the same game overall). It's got a cool overall story, the protagonist goes through a pretty legitimate character arc, the battle system is great, and except for a few cases, it isn't all too cutesy. I'd imagine if you enjoyed Eternia, this one shouldn't come off as being all too offensive.
Of course I haven't played through Vesperia (which seems to be one of the more popular entries in the series) so I can't comment too much on that yet, except to say that it looks like it has a pretty similar vibe to Abyss, so it might also be one of the more bearable ones.
by OL
Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Panzer Dragoon

Man, how did so many members on here manage to get ahold of Saga? Did you guys just save up and get it or find it cheap somewhere?

Get your Saturn modded, this is the suggestion I made to Ryudo.

http://www.segastyle.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74

And that does what exactly? Just make it region free, since I can already play both Japanese and US titles on it. If so, that doesn't change the fact that the game goes for roughly the same price in both US and Europe. I won't be buying a Japanese copy since I cannot read Japanese [know bare bones amount, I guess]. Until the day that SEGA get off their lazy asses and re-release Saga in whatever capacity, I won't play it. The only game I really want from SEGA on PSN/Xbox Live/whatever and it never comes since they stupidly lost the "source code". Ah well.

No this allows you to load Saturn games burned onto a regular CD-R. You don't even need a region switch or Action Replay to load games in this case. Any Saturn iso can be region patched to play on a North American or PAL console. You can even play the fan translated Shining Force games, as you know only the first game was released in English.

Save yourself $300-400 purchasing a legitimate copy of PDS.

Edit: Here are some pictures of my setup, my Saturn is connected to a 20 inch CRT via s-video. Using a generic Office Depot CDR to load Panzer Dragoon Saga.

http://i.imgur.com/f97T73u.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OZhHtHM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BJ9q5za.jpg

Ziming was telling me that there was actually a complete PC port of the game. If true, it should be possible to re-release Saga, despite any "source code" issues.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469023
by Ziming
Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Persona/Shin Megami Tensei series

So anyway, Soul Hackers coming out on the 16th... I'm gonna be taking a short vacation around the middle of May, so Soul Hackers is probably going to be my go-to game on the plane and any time I've got a lull in activity.
I know it's a completely different style of play, but I'm such a fan of the Devil Summoner games on PS2, I've been wanting to play the "roots" of that little sub-series for a long time. Ecstatic that I'll finally be able to.
by OL
Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The weekly movie discussion topic. Week 2:Back to the Fu

I think the trilogy is overrated. All three films are indeed competent and compelling, but I don't think they're nothing out of the ordinary.
I also don't think much about other trilogies like the aforementioned Star Wars or The Lord of the Rings for that matter. As for the Indiana Jones trilogy, I have a soft spot for it.
by Absentia
Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bombs in Boston

Wonderful how acts of violence consistently spur on demands for even more violence, one way or another.
Just wonderful.
by OL
Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Earthbound Series

http://earthboundcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Earthbound-Wallpaper.jpg

Turns out Earthbound will be coming to the WiiU eShop this year. It's the first time it's ever been released in Europe and since I've never got around to being a pirate and download a ROM I can finally play it.
by Riku Rose
Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Batman Arkham Origins

- http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176217-batman-arkham-origins-creators-talk-use-of-black-mask

Batman: Arkham Origins Creators Talk Use of Black Mask
We know only a few details about the upcoming video game Batman: Arkham Origins, but what we know about its plot is that Black Mask has hired eight assassins to take out Batman on Christmas Eve. Fans that are unfamiliar with the character might question why Black Mask is taking center stage in the upcoming prequel in favor of a more well known villain, and developer Warner Bros. Games Montreal is well aware that the character isn't A-list material.

“We realize that Black Mask is not necessarily as prominent in people’s minds as some other classic Batman villains, so we realize we also need to do work to explain why he’s really cool and make him felt in the game,” creative director Eric Holmes said in an interview with Game Informer. “It’s not something people bring a lot of baggage to when you see the Black Mask, so we have to do the work to make him scary.”

“Black Mask is new money. He’s rich. He’s very, very powerful. He’s made it. He’s known for being brutal and sadistic. And particularly at this point in the Arkham franchise he has enormous resources. He is the number one gang leader in Gotham. And has easily the most power in the city.”

Like many characters in Batman's rogures gallery, there has been more than one Black Mask over the years, but Holmes confirmed the original Black Mask Roman Sionis is who you will take on in the game. While Batman might be new to the crimefighting business in the game, Black Mask is a well known underworld player.

“Roman Sionis is suspected for a lot of things, but nothing’s pinned on him,” says Holmes. “The Janus Cosmetics company is his background. He inherited a family business related to cosmetic chemicals and ran it into the ground, and then turned it around into a huge criminal enterprise selling drugs. You see Sionis branding even in Arkham City. The steel mills are Sionis facilities. His money primarily comes from the drug trade.”

“His thing is torture. That is what gets his rocks off, and he’s really good at it.”

Sounds excellent. I've been a fan of Black Mask since watching the animation feature of Under the Red Hood. And then disappointed how he was teased in Arkham City only to be used as a minor cameo. This game seems to rectify that in a big way!
by Crimson Ryan
Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

I'm only on Chapter 13 of Fire Emblem: Awakening but I'll start Path of Radiance as soon as I'm done. Star Successor is pretty amazing, the wii motion controls work perfectly in the game. That and Metroid Prime Trilogy really use the wiimote well.
by Thief
Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Earthbound Series

The storyline and characters aren't necessarily strong but the scenarios are. Music is fantastic and the battle system is pretty good. It's got a system where your HP rolls down and you have the option to save yourself from death if you're fast enough. The main attraction of the game is its humor. You're going to want to talk to just about every NPC.

However, if I ignore my nostalgia for the game entirely, Mother 3 is by far the better game. It's Earthbound with good characters and a good story. It also succeeds in being one of the few games to make me cry... and I had a strangely uplifting experience that made me think about my life and how I'm affecting it as well. If you ever get around to playing/beating Mother 3 I'd love to talk about the ending...

Anyway, it is worthy of its cult status, Earthbound that is.
by Thief
Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CISPA returns

It has nothing to do with China. It's just the corporations flexing their campaign donation muscle. The funny thing about legislation is they never call it what it is, usually going so far as to call it the exact opposite. Whether it's ripping the spine out of social security while simultaneously passing it off as "saving" the program or taking rights away for "government protection" and calling it the "Patriot Act", the politicians just can't seem to own up to their own intentions. I guess it's because it would be harder to give legislation apt names and still rally public support for the "Rights Grab" bill than it is to frame it differently.
by Sonikku
Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This or That: Game Edition

You bastard, that's a tough one.
I'll say Vagrant Story, because I do love a good bit of solitary atmosphere, and the PS1 gives me a boner anyway.
But it's damn close. FFXII is still awesome.

Telekinetic thrillers:
Galerians or Second Sight?
by OL
Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Earthbound Series

The main attraction of the game is its humor. You're going to want to talk to just about every NPC.

I love games like that. Funny that the one game coming out on WiiU that has me the most interested is a VC release. #-o

I think the series is right up your alley. The design isn't really "anime" but is still very colorful and bright despite the subject matter being pretty dark at times. Everyone in the world is worth talking to and the story is pretty emotional for all three games, especially 3.

Great series.
by Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Catherine

Coming to PlayStation Plus next month. :D
by QWERTY
Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Evil Within | Psycho Break

Codenamed Zwei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-jvqJV4SI

Odd teasing
https://vine.co/v/bFPjjheVnau

https://vine.co/v/bFldAQgTIr6

Artwork in the link
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/18/shinji-mikamis-new-game-revealed-tomorrow

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/18/new-bethesda-game-is-lead-by-director-shinji-mikami.aspx
by Who Really Cares?
Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

I will never buy another Capcom fighter after this gen. Complete piss take from them.
by Who Really Cares?
Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ImageImage

If anyone is interested Eshop has a sale going on and these 2 have been reduced to 5$ for a limited time
by Bluecast
Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why are QTE’s so popular?

When done right they can be cool but too many games just chuck them in for the hell of it and they feel out of place.

Shenmue did them mostly right[Mostly because some characters you wanted to beat up in real battle rather than a QTE, looking at the 2 school cows at the docks]
by Who Really Cares?
Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Guild02 Coming to the US and Europe.

Liberation Maiden. Suda. Man you can create such odd but great games like Killer 7,FSR and NMH. Then you show you can do a more straight arcade action approach like Liberation Maiden. It's just so badass. Man stop limiting yourself with NMH clones. While it might not be super odd LM shows you are more diverse than I gave you credit for. Liberation Maiden is Zone of the Enders lite.
by Bluecast
Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

It amazes me[well not really] how the press are so happy to ignore glitches/bugs in Bethesda games. Any other studio and they would call them up on the unfinished game but Bethesda are one of those that get a free pass.
by Who Really Cares?
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

What TV shows do you have to put up with because of your partner/familamadingdong?

Me? Fucking Hollyoaks, The Voice, Made in Chelsea, X Factor, Britains Got Faggots... ad infinitum.

She's a cultured woman, she has a first in psychology for god sake, but she's such a typical female. I can calm any situation by giving her a chocolate bar.

It stresses me out when she watches that shit and I initially act all nonchalant because I surf the interwebs at the time but I start to get involved after a while due to conditioning. Although my input mainly consists of "he's a cunt", "she's a cunt" and "they're all cunts".

Argh!
by QWERTY
Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

QWERTY™ wrote: Christ, you guys hoard games. I don't know how you find the time to play them. I buy a game once every 6 months, at most, yet rarely play them.

by Bambi
Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.h1ghw1nd.com/1.jpg

http://www.h1ghw1nd.com/2.jpg

http://www.h1ghw1nd.com/3.jpg

I've been wanting a Famicom for years now so I finally picked one up.

I found that NES for cheap with a new 72 pin connector.

Yay! Systems that came out before I was born! \:D/
by kushanova
Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

30 hours into Vesperia. Great fun, still.
And I started in on Soul Hackers, just as a head start to my upcoming vacation. Absolutely loving it. They hadn't implemented the Press-Turn system yet when it originally came out, so it's a slightly different style than I'm used to with SMT, but it's still great. Vintage SMT aesthetics, and that's nothing but excellent.
by OL
Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Witcher 3 PC/PS4 (so far)

the witcher 3 seems great and all but where is my cyberpunk 2077 screenshots CDPR? fuck I'm so hyped about that game
by south carmain
Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Official Gaming Music Topic

I actually prefer the Genny's sound chip. The SNES could pull off some great things (especially when it came to mimicking orchestral sounds), but to me the Genesis chip is more evocative of that era in gaming. It might be seen as a detractor by some, but I've always thought the Genesis chip tended to sound a little more "metalic" while the SNES pulled off sounds that were a little more "organic." And I actually really like the more artificial tone of the Genesis.
Even when attempting a more orchestral sound, there really is a special charm to the artificiality of it all.
(not to take anything away from the SNES, etc etc... some of the best OST's ever are still on the SNES)

This to me is probably the best example of the Genesis doing anything orchestral. I said it a long time ago, but Yuzo Koshiro really ought to be more revered for this kind of stuff, rather than his SoR or Shinobi work. This isn't his catchiest, but the technical quality of it is pretty damn impressive considering the hardware. I'm always impressed every time I pop Beyond Oasis in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fKPt-FCMzw
by OL
Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Took a bunch of crap to Bookmans and traded it in. Got this in return.

word.
by Thief
Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic