Search found 133 matches

Return

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

Wait a minute......did you quote yourself in your sig......then follow up with "Bunny power"???

http://i49.tinypic.com/16bbo5f.png

Now it could be because its 2am and I find myself drunk and back on ye olde dojo but good god reading your posts are making me cringe. I am feeling physically awkward in my own body reading what you are saying. Just to be clear i'm not saying what you are saying is wrong (I am not saying its right either) but that cannot be how you really speak and carry yourself in real life is it? My god man.

Taking offense at that statement says more about yourself than me, which I'm sorry about. There is nothing presumptuous about saying the world is filled with simple-minded people. You don't have to know everyone to recognize commodities and trends.

I literally fucking lol'd...are you really Jeff?

I don't really know how to describe it....it's almost like your a real life bad caricature of the big bang theory, Like I feel like you would go into a Japanese Restaurant in the middle of Boston and order everything in japanese including your dr. pepperu and then smirk at the group sitting across from you (that's making fun of you) feeling accomplished.

Like you I have a bad habit of going on tangents and I am sorry......I didn't intend to make my first post in a long time trying to bash anyone but the shenmue bug bit me and i'm sitting here playing this goddamn big or small on nulldc and I cannot get a fucking chow to save my life.

P.S. Fuck Hellraiser
by Locke_cole
Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eurogamer: 'Shenmue 3 as close to being announced.....

For I myself play popular games from time to time, as they are not all bad.
For not I, nay!

Never shan't I dabble into the trough whence slovenly masses getteth thy sustenance. Such pestilence; cut-purse to to thy mind; a parade in squalor.

If thou were a lush, woulds't staineth ivory hands in a box-tree for ruffians, brim with Duty of Callith? Poppycock for naughts.
One dost heaves thy supper at such thoughts.

Come come, wench! Fetch thy snuffbox, for such a lather has overcome thou with tizzy.
by Wude-Tang Clan
Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Good luck ・_・
by Axm
Mon May 12, 2014 2:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

All of a sudden I just wanna go out and buy a N64 with both zeldas, mario tennis, rogue squadron, perfect dark, and star wars shadows of the empire.
by AnimeGamer183
Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This made me laugh pretty hard. This video uses footage from my Phantom Dust review. Starting at 5:18, those next couple shots are all PD footage I played and cut together. Just seemed weird that they would swipe such low-quality footage off youtube for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5AnEwGlHMg

In regards to the interview itself, it's only made me even more wary of the new Phantom Dust. Apparently they're going into it with the same attitudes behind the recent Killer Instinct revamp, being a free-to-play game with extra stuff you can buy to add to it.
Blah.
They try to pretty it up by assuring us that it's not a business model intent on sucking money out of people, but I don't see how something like that can't be the case with a game like PD. The starting abilities will clearly be insufficient compared to the later abilities you can buy. And whoever invests the most in DLC will have the most versatility and leeway in creating competent arsenals. I don't like the sound of that at all.
Not to mention that it sounds like whoever the dev team is behind this one, it obviously is a western dev, as I'd feared. If the trailer is anything to go by, the art style is going to come off as a shallow imitation of the original, with all the right alterations to make it just modern enough to annoy longtime fans. It occurs to me that the black-haired guy in the trailer is probably supposed to be Edgar. And that hipster-looking rich kid hairstyle just doesn't cut it next to the poofy Spike Spiegle-esque one of the original. I don't doubt there'll be tons of things like that. They should have just tried to find the original team.
by OL
Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Been a long while, but got my Dreamcast out of storage today and have it hooked up to my 42 including LCD. What an absolute fucking joy of a console honestly. I'd trade any console current generation or whatever for it.
What made me do it was I absolutely love Tomb Raider The Last Revelation and I thought the Dreamcast version was just a port, but after downloading it from the PS Store and seeing how brutal the graphics were in that version, I just had to dig out the best console ever.

Is it worth buying an upscaler? Like this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-VGA-Cable-instead-of-BOX-with-HDMI-Scaler-for-HD-TV-without-VGA-/171370619613?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item27e67c22dd

Also, the modem can't handle modern day speeds can't it? I'd love to fire up the old Dreamkey disc! Ah memories!

Edit: AAGGGGHHH YOU FUCK! I just played 2 full levels of Tomb Raider and died, and I totally forgot you have to save the game manually to the VMU. FUCK how did I forget that :lol:
by Peter
Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For some reason it was always difficult before for me to get any of my PS2 Yakuza footage to actually look good; it always ended up looking kind of muddy and ugly, despite the games looking great on an actual tv screen.
But I was just experimenting a bit, and the combination of PS3 emulation upscaling and a good amount of sharpening actually made the footage look really good. I'll have to test out stuff from other parts of the games as well (since the visual style changes slightly here and there) but things are looking up.
Just posting because I'm bored. Carry on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9epL1nm4c
by OL
Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Review The Last Game You Beat

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy.

Anything after WARPED doesn't exist, of course.

If you've never tried it, Twinsanity was actually pretty damn fun. At least, what little I played of it. It was like a Crash game mixed with the fully-3D gameplay of a Jak game, plus just the right personality and one of the most unique and quirky soundtracks I've heard (it's mainly a capella).
It's less derivative than Wrath of Cortex, but unlike Mind Over Mutant or Crash of the Titans, it still feels like a genuine Crash game.
So yeah, if you haven't tried it, I'd recommend giving Twinsanity a try. It's the only post-PS1 game that actually "gets" Crash while being different enough to be worth playing. And it should be super cheap anywhere you can find it.
by OL
Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Guessing it has to do with the current landscape. Games are too dependent on good sales because of the rising dev costs and with these stories of publishers trying to buy out reviewers now, it all just hurts the integrity of the whole review system.
by Kenny
Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General Anime Discussion

^^Yeah, it's pretty impressive that some of the dub have actually stuck with it. It's mostly just Richard Epcar (Batou) and William Knight (Aramaki) though. The Major, Togusa, and everyone else had different actors originally.
But yeah, GitS is one of the few cases where I love the dub as much as the original voices. Not sure which I prefer, actually. Japanese is more authentic of course, but the dub is so well-cast that the fact it's in english doesn't detract at all.

Hope you like 2nd Gig by the way. Such a great show. I love the first season of SAC, but I might actually be a bigger fan of how stylish and epic the second season gets. The final few episodes are a pretty tense ride.
by OL
Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^^Didn't listen to it all the way through because I'm a bit busy at the moment (kind of skipped around to get the gist), but I just wanted to comment on the girl's take on the latest Turok.
She mentions that it's offensive that he's a Native character, but has this white mentor that "teaches" him about being a Native (and I put teaches in quotes just because I think the character already knew these things; more on that later). And ordinarily, yeah, I think that would be a legitimate complaint to have. But in this particular case, I think it's important to note that that white mentor also turns out to be the main villain of the entire game.
The game isn't exactly high art in the writing department, but I remember thinking even back then that this was supposed to be like this white man forcing his perceived stereotype on the one Native person he has under his command. Turok himself is initially supposed to be sort of the prison-hardened tough who isn't concerned with whatever culture is in his blood. But then this white character comes in and says "you're an Indian. Here, use a bow and a knife. That's what you people do, right? You'll be good at it."
I always thought that was the intention, that the villain was offensive, not Turok himself. Chances are, Turok already knew plenty about his own culture; he didn't need anyone to tell him how to be Native. But his white commanding officer wants Turok to fit into this stereotype, so that's how he trains him.
Honestly, I think that particular Turok is actually one of the more in offensive portrayals of a Native character in gaming, if only for the reason that, from his own perspective, the fact that he's Native doesn't entirely matter. He is his own person, and doesn't personally define himself by who his ancestors were.
It's a far cry from most other Native portrayals, where their stories revolve entirely around the fact that they're Cherokee, Iroquois, or what have you. I mean, why is it that almost every other Native character is like that, but not every black character's story revolves around the fact that their ancestors were once in Africa? There's a serious imbalance in fiction in that regard. Why can you have black, white, Asian, or Hispanic characters who are just "some guy," but Native characters always have to hover around the fact that they're Native?
Like I said, Turok might not be the highest of quality in the writing department, but I remember having that notion about things when I first played it, that here was finally a Native character that wasn't really predefined by his racial background. That that was intentional . And for that I personally really liked it.
by OL
Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The control scheme follows suit of Syphon Filter and other base FPS's on the PSP, which is serviceable. You use the analog to move and the face buttons to aim. alot of people complained about this when the system launched, yet we all enjoyed quite a few excellent games on the system using this setup.

I'm actually glad I got introduced to that setup with Syphon Filter on PSP, as it's now what I use when playing the older Armored Core games that still hadn't moved to full-analog. It actually feels much more natural to play like that as opposed to the default settings, which stuck the y-axis viewing controls to the shoulder buttons (really awkward to get used to that).
by OL
Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I feel sorry for today's youngsters, having never experienced that golden age where quirky Japanese games were at the top of the food chain. I'm talking about the days when TIME CRISIS was widely understood to be the best game ever made! The days when you could bring a friend to your house and impress them with BATTLE ARENA TOSHINDEN and it was totally normal! The days when you didn't need a PC to play Black and White because you had DOSHIN THE FUCKING GIANT instead! I'm talking playing DYNAMITE COP on co-op until 1am, I'm talking about realizing that the greatness BLUE STINGER was too much for a kid to fathom and promising you'll play it in 15 years time when you'll be just about ready for it (it's almost time, squeee!). I'm talking about the days when the consensus was that the Japanese made the best football games and white people football game makers would never ever catch up.

Now look at where we are. Tamagochis have been relegated to mere fashion accessories for gothic lolitas. It's a damn shame.
by mue 26
Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's better being that way than it is just hoarding stuff. I really need to sell off my exceedingly large collection now myself. I pretty much play everything that I buy, no problem there, but it's just finding the time to sell it all off, which is just as time consuming as it is me playing some of them again. :lol:

I do tend to find that I enjoy going back to most of my favourite games though. There is the odd few that once they're played that's that. I generally wouldn't want to waste me time selling something only having to buy it back again, so I like to be sure first before I get rid of something. Getting my N64 games back was a bit of a pain in the rear, same especially goes for the CD-i. Now that has the most awkwardly difficult catalogue of games to buy back and the accessories like the game controllers are so damned rare. It's considered a POS by most people but I tell you, those games and accessories are so damned rare and some are really expensive. I was shocked to see that Link: Faces of Evil was so expensive. Thankfully I rebought it just before it became an internet sensation.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I often don't make recommendation but here are two new anime series airing right now.

Aldnoah.Zero (Mech anime - Music in it is incredible)
http://kissanime.com/Anime/Aldnoah-Zero

Akame ga Kill! (Fantasy/Magic)
http://kissanime.com/Anime/Akame-ga-Kill
by Ziming
Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Watched The Equalizer with Denzel last weekend. What a badass film that was! Top entertainment from start to finish. Denzel kicks so much ass in this film. There are some really inventive kills in this film (Involving a DIY store and their tools...). I appreciated the slow start too, since it builds up a lot for plenty of pay off (there is loads of action in this film). One of my favourites that I've seen this year alongside X-Men: Days of Future Past and Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, which I found surprisingly good.

Gonna go see Gone Girl tomorrow, being the Fincher fanboy that I am. I'm also interested in seeing Dracula Untold & A Walk Among the Tombstones sometime too, just don't know when I can fit those in with my busy weeks. Not enough time for movie watching nowadays... #-o
by Henry Spencer
Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fudge!
If I'd known about this when it first came out, I totally would have grabbed a copy.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2ikcp5c.jpg

Basically an unofficial artbook featuring Jeff Meghart's artwork from Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai. Great stuff. But it's all sold out now, and I can't even find it on ebay.
Bummer.
by OL
Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What are you currently playing?

So I checked out Terra Battle for android because why not? Its free. The battles are pretty interesting actually, and there are cool bonuses and buffs depending on how your characters are positioned on the grid. You can also recruit new members to your party at taverns and your traverse the land similarly as you do in FFT, you have a world map and different marked locations on said map that have new chapters, battles, and taverns to recruit new allies. Doesnt seem bad at all for a phone game, even though its pretty much all battles as the meat of the game, I only checked it out cause it was mistwalker. I'll probably play it in my spare time when im bored.
by AnimeGamer183
Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Anyone playing a mediocre PS3 sports game basically upscaled to PS4 on a rediculous 72' TV will no doubt see hardly a difference.

The fact is the new generation of consoles ARE better. You have many bad examples of multiplatform/multigenration games from lazy DEVELOPERS not putting in the work to take advantage of the hardware. Then theirs many first party exclusives doing 1080p at 60fps with better overall graphics while games from previous gen were usually 720p 30fps.

The difference is clear if you have the eye, the right equipment and a proper game most importantly.
Theirs no doubt last gen was great but tell yourself you didnt think PS2/Xbox was better then 360/PS3 during the first year aswell. Or that SNES/Genesis wasnt better then N64/Saturn its first year.

The only system I could say ever impressed enough to call itself better then the previous gen during its first year was the Dreamcast. Everything else has and will always take time to prove its worth.
by Axm
Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nope. I can't stand Assassin's Creed either. Don't think Kenny liked it either. I may try out Assassin's Creed 2 one day, but don't feel the urge to since the first game was one of the most tedious, boring, monotonous games I've ever played.

If the main basis for your stance on it is the first game, then I really suggest you try the second game. I was of generally the same mind a few years ago; I didn't hate it, but I thought the first game was a bit of a bore, so I didn't try the others. But then after seeing that they had made so many already (they were about 4 games in at this point), I figured I may as well give it a second try.
And trust me, AC2 is absolutely one of the single most-improved sequels ever made. They really took everything that was unattractive about the first game and tweaked or improved upon it until it was all just right. While the first game was slowly-paced, had awkward controls, a bland-as-fuck color palette, tedious mission structure, incredibly choppy graphics, and mostly uninteresting characters, Assassin's Creed II is fast-paced, has much smoother controls, waaaaaay more attractive and colorful graphics and art design, characters with much, much more personality, and and a much more traditional open-world mission structure. Seriously, they took all the criticism to heart and made something great using all that feedback.
I get the feeling you'd still hate the non-history, sci-fi-ish stuff in the story (it's limited, but it's there), but I think you'll be impressed by how much they improved over the first game. And even though everyone complains about it being milked and all by this point, the series has continued to refine things as it's gone on.

You don't have to love it by any means, of course, but I'd still urge you to give the series a second try. The way it is now, it's absolutely no more boring or tedious as any other open-world series out there. They've made strides , and that's part of what won me over.
Actually, as much as I'm into the overall story now, playing the rest of the series has even made me like the first one more than I did before. That's how much better the rest of the series is, that it's improved how I think of it's weaker first chapter.
by OL
Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Castlevania Super Nintendo!
by Sonikku
Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I cant find the motivation to play any games. I need to finish Yakuza 3, I havent forgotten about it, im just blaahhh about playing anything right now.
by AnimeGamer183
Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

I know people have issues with shipping, especially you AG you seem to have had a string of them, but you guys are crazy lol. Between me and my brother we have ordered easily 150 packages from Amazon since 2013 when I got my prime account, no telling how many before that. I think I've had to send two things back because of damages. One was a porcelain mason jar with a cork topper I planned on keeping weed in (shipping/item box arrived in perfect shape, it was damaged inside from the factory somehow) and the other was my first copy of Ys: Seven, they sent it in a huge bubble mailer and it was fuuuucked when it got here lol the replacement came in a box with air pocket padding. I think something recent wasn't up to my standards either, but wasn't bad enough for me to send it back. I forget what it was though. Might have been a xmas gift for some one.

My point it, when employees from anywhere go to box your shit up, they don't care/know what shipping method you picked. They either chose to put it in a box or a mailer, stick the label on it and send it your way. These people work in a very fast paced environment and make mistakes just like everyone else. I guarantee you every Amazon distribution center sends out 10's of thousands of packages a day if not more. And while I'm sure there are jackasses in every state, no one is going to personally hold up certain kinds of packages from being delivered. How do they know whats in them to decide if they should hold them up or not? You can slap something in a box and pay a few bucks and it'll get there in a week. Same box overnight-ed across the country will run you 10-15 bucks or more depending on weight. They are literally flying your shit to get it there in 24 hours lol of course they'll charge way more for that. Jet fuel isn't cheap!

I really do hope your Vita arrives safe and sound though. I don't think you should have any trouble. That'll be in a box for sure. Did you get any games with it?
by Raithos
Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It was sold/shipped by Amazon or a third party? I thought they had a 100% refund policy if it was sold by them, I could be wrong though. Yeah man sucks you had all those issues for sure, I wasn't trying to ignore those and I remember the whole Bravely Default fiasco. I was just shooting down the conspiracy theories ya'll had going about the shipping quality being related to the price lol and his holding back packages on purpose based on my experience.

I agree about the dice game but for me its ordering in store where I encounter issues. I can't tell you the number of times I went to pick up a preorder and the box was smashed. Or my preorder copy ended up being the ONLY one they had so they gutted it and put in on the shelf, even tho it was paid for and wasn't for sale in the first place. Seems like we have the same problems just in different situations.

edit: I hate to admit but I just double dipped and bought a second 3DS lol. MM being my favorite console Zelda I had to have it, plus now I can play Xenoblade when it releases the day before my birthday. Sold out at Gamestop quick but saw it at http://www.bestbuy.com and snatched one up.
by Raithos
Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's too bad but this indie game has been put on hold because they got hacked by North Korea at the same time they did Sony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8_X-9AIG-c

I really hope this move to the Vita pays off. I'm hearing about alot of memory issues.
Never heard of any memory issues..let alone experienced any. Overall its been one of the most reliable and satisfying systems ive experienced.

What I meant by that is that Sony and their proprietor memory sticks are so over priced that it can be hard procuring them when needed. It looks like memory can get sucked up pretty quick with the size of games and space needed to store and run them. I broke down in more ways than one and ordered a 64 gigabyte memory card. Hopefully, that is going to be enough, since I have a huge library on my psp that I want to carry over, plus Vita games I plan on purchasing.
Having a 64GB card is cool and all but will you honestly be using all that at once? Just have on the memory what you'll actually use for that month or so.
by Axm
Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by AnimeGamer183
Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Raithos wrote: lol I was joking.

You serious?

I was going to rally behind you on that. I even printed posters and picket signs from Kinkos. I feel like I'm living a lie now. I can't believe in anything anymore.

by Kenny
Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sometimes you can get bent out of shape when 1 transaction goes bad.

I hear that. I used to shop at circuit city a lot before they closed and they gave me shit for trying to return a defective monitor once and I didn't go back for like 4 years, then they went out of business lol.

You looking for psn titles or physical? Tales of Hearts R, Muramasa Rebirth, Ys Memories of Celceta, Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway (short, but no game utilizes the Vitas features better), Gravity Rush, Danganronpa, Velocity 2X, Uncharted Golden Abyss. There's just so many awesome games on the Vita. No matter what type of game you wants its there.
by Raithos
Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]

What games you plan on getting AG? Xenoblade is 2015 for sure
by Raithos
Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finished Watch_Dogs. Finished the hell out of it.
Great game, and just like with the Assassin's Creed games, I felt the need to do as much side stuff as possible before capping the story off.
It's funny, I remember when the game was first announced, and everyone went kind of nuts over it because it was one of the very first showings of what "next-gen" was going to look like. People were totally jizzing themselves over how the city looked, how atmospheric it was, all that jazz. and I was over in the corner thinking "what's the big deal? They're just pretty graphics."
So the game comes out, and it happens that Ubisoft changed the look of the game for the final version; basically they removed a graphical filter that made everything look a little more atmospheric, just for the sake of performance.
And once that happened, it seems like most people ceased to give a shit, as if the graphics were just that important.
Honestly, I've looked at side-by-side comparisons, and the changes aren't that big a deal. The old filter would basically blur far-off objects and scenery, and light would refract a bit differently depending on weather. It looked pretty, but it wouldn't have changed the game for me.
So anyway, everyone else stops giving a shit because of the graphics. But now that I've played it, I'm far more wowed by the gameplay. It's insane just how fun it is to hack and manipulate the city to your whims. I've never, never had this much fun with car chases in other games before, not even in any of the GTA's. Usually in other open-world games it's the car parts that feel more like a chore, but in this case everything controls very, very smoothly, and there are actually ways to "win" a car chase that don't just involve smashing into your enemies. Popping up a road-blocker at just the right moment and watching other cars crash and flip over it is endlessly fun, as is raising bridges, destroying the street itself with a ruptured steam pipe, or changing the traffic lights and creating pileups.
The on-foot stuff felt a little less spectacular to me at first, until I really started understanding how the game was meant to be played. It really is quite a different experience, ending up surrounded by cops in the middle of the city at night, bullets flying everywhere, helicopters circling overhead... and then you set off a fucking blackout and make your getaway on a motorcycle.
The whole concept behind this game is great, and the execution is actually really, really good. I might have liked a few more options other than blowing up generators or activating distractions, but what's there works extremely well, and there's plenty of potential for later games.
Y'know, if they make more games. I hope so. Maybe don't make it a yearly thing like AC, but I'd definitely love to see this IP continue. So much potential. And in essence, being that you play as a violent vigilante with hacking skillz, it's almost like a truly updated, modern version of The Punisher, and that in itself is nothing but awesome.
Also, more Jordi Chen please. Great character, unfortunately underutilized in this one. Need more of him. Strange that the DLC for the game focuses on T-Bone. T-Bone is cool and all, but I would have thought Jordi was the more fitting candidate for extra content.
by OL
Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've come to a point where I'm really, really split on ACU now... and it has nothing to do with technical performance issues at all (that's seemingly all anyone else was complaining about).
My biggest problem with it is that the freerunning is really wonky now... when playing the other games in the series, I've never had this many screwups. The main problem is the whole "freerun up/freerun down" button system. It's just unnecessary, and barely works half the time anyway. It should be as simple as the "freerun up" button making you leap toward the highest point possible, while the "freerun down" button should cause you to descend toward the ground, while only pressing the standard freerun button ought to make you go straight... but it just isn't as precise as that. I tried playing one of the hardest co-op missions by myself, and there was a part where you have to run an obstacle course to collect flags. And while I realize it was supposed to be played with another person, it's also obviously meant to be doable solo. And I could have done it, except that the parkour is so fucking loose and imprecise. Tried a bunch of times, and Arno did nothing but jump to places I didn't intend over, and over, and over again. Demolished all fun I was having with the game, just with that little part. Now I can't play any other parts of the game without noticing all the flaws in it.
I also kind of hate that the combat has been changed the way it has. It may have been easier in earlier games, but it could still be intense if you really got surrounded, and the main point is that it was still fun . But now they've eliminated counter kills, taken away the bullet-avoiding human shield ability, and pretty much sapped most of the fun out of it. They mainly mean for it to be stealth now, obviously, but the combat shouldn't suffer because of that. It seems easy at first, but later in the game, much like the parkour, it just gets to a point of being frustrating. Guys keep pulling out guns and shooting you, and you barely have a chance to do anything because the only way to avoid bullets is to roll, which you'll be trying to do while others are slashing at you, which means you'll inevitably be getting hit no matter what you do. Not to mention that the controls become a bit unresponsive every now and then, and the enemies sometime attack without showing a counter signal, which will obviously get you killed.
And don't even get me started on how silly the aiming system is. It should have been as simple as using the same style of aiming you have in shooters like Watch_Dogs, but instead it's more like the stiff mess they had in ACIII... couldn't even tell you why they chose something like that. Cover-taking is unresponsive and aiming is a chore. Shouldn't be like that.

And it's weird, because even with all these issues, I still really want to give the game credit where credit is due, because there's a lot about it that's fucking fantastic. I mentioned before how immersive it all is, how good the graphics really do look sometimes, how lively the city of Paris is, and how fun the missions can occasionally be when you're given some freedom. There are a lot of places where I'm just in awe at how much passion the devs had for making something new and fresh for the series. Even though the gameplay isn't as great as it should be, it still shows that they were really, really trying to make something compelling and new, and I can't help but be impressed by the obvious effort put in here. But sometimes so much of it just seems a bit needless, and I find myself wishing Arno controlled more like Shay or Ezio or Edward.

Like I said, very split on the whole thing. Still haven't quite finished it, and after the smooth-controlling wonderland that was Watch_Dogs, I'm having a hard time going back to it. But I may force myself soon, especially since the free "Dead Kings" DLC is out now which might add some extra fun to it.
I just really hope they iron all these issues out for Victory next year, because the Victorian England setting is just too good for them to waste by using these exact same systems again. Changes need to be made, even if it means making it feel more like the last-gen games in the series.
by OL
Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would highly reccomend doing that OL, Xenogears is one of the best games on PS1. You still need to make your way through the first Xenoblade at some point too, dont you?

The whole Xeno- series, really. I've gotten furthest in Xenogears; maybe about 25 hours. Loved it to death, but one of those cases where I ended up distracted by other things and never got back to it. Started Xenosaga once and liked it, but just wasn't in the right mode for a JRPG at the time; same for Xenoblade (which I wouldn't really want to start without being a little more versed in Xeno-stuff anyway, whether the connections are direct or not).
So yeah, first stop will be Xenogears again, whenever I get around to it.
by OL
Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My playthrough of the U.S version of Double Dragon III. This is that one Double Dragon game everyone likes to hate because of how hard it is. I actually prefer this game over the first two.

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tomb Raider: Then and now.

by Sonikku
Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Stopped watching Naruto, it just had way too many flashbacks for me to enjoy the fights. Now watching Zankyo no terror. It's a well written anime that is very unpredictable.
by AhmedHazuki
Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

And now for something completely different

phpBB [video]
by Nahovil
Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Song Are You Listening To Now?

And now for something completely different

phpBB [video]
by Nahovil
Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He threw a bag over his shoulder and left the Dojo Shenmue 1 style. His current whereabouts are unknown.
by Sonikku
Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finished off my current Eshop funds with:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/ds1mp.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/vie8nk.jpg

Mighty Gunvolt is exactly what I figured; 8-bit Mega Man style. Super-simplified and fun.
And Sakura Samurai is a pretty cool little surprise. It's all about precision dodging and slicing, and the 3D looks excellent.
I think I'm hooked on the Eshop. There's a lot more I want to get.
by OL
Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My home editing dock.
by Kenny
Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I had hoped to play more guitar, but I haven't, but today I learned a song and recorded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFE7nDZxhV8

not perfect and whatever I guess, just feels lonely doing things by myself, so I figured I'd at least share. Sorry if amateur stuff or covers make you uncomfortable -- but I enjoy it.
by Thief
Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What they need to do is make Crisis Core Remastered on Vita.
by Axm
Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I feel oddly nostalgic for late '90s PSone games for some reason.
by Kenny
Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So this indie game OliOli 2 is free on PSN right now. Pretty damn addicting. Think the game SKATE meets Trials HD but 2D side scrolling. Tricks are handled with just the joy sticks and it can get pretty technical. Cross save across all systems too.
by Axm
Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://oi59.tinypic.com/o8i26s.jpg

HaHA!
The official Parasite Eve art book.
I've wanted this sucker for years, but I guess it was always in-demand enough that the price was always pretty high (I seem to remember it being around 80-100 bucks for a used copy). But I suppose demand dropped off a bit, so I managed to snag one for around 30. And even then that's pretty cheap, as the other copies I was looking at were around 60 anyway.
Words can't quite say how important I hold Parasite Eve to be for myself, so any goodies I can get that are related to it are a huge score.
Only just ordered it, so I don't actually have it yet, but I'm pretty excited for it now.
by OL
Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic