Search found 922 matches

Return

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: ...while the master baits?

by Dorian
Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Everyone ought to just sit back, relax, and remind themselves how incredibly funny this moment was, mainly by studying Mike Myers' facial expressions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDMyArnIdzY[/youtube]
by KiBa
Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2012

Then lead the revolution.
by MiTT3NZ
Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Dorian wrote:From a documentary about the suicide forest of Japan, Aokigahara, where up to 100+ bodies are found every year.

Where can I watch that?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8[/youtube]
by Dorian
Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just move on. Forget it guys. Move on and everything will be grand :nice!:
by Peter
Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RPG's( NOT Falcom,Square,Bethesda,Bioware)

I would like to see a true "Xeno" game again, that takes place in space and is actually sci-fi dominant, in the vein of gears and saga. But I think Takahashi needed to get a game like Xenoblade out of his system, and im glad he did, because its spectactular and I would hardly call it run of the mill generic JRPG, its quality is so on a whole other level that jrpgs I would throw in that category. If square was still good, this seems like a game they would have released. I am saying its a classic, in the vein of the PSX era, yes I am going there, its just modern and it was neccesary and needed and having now played the game its even more mind boggling why releasing it abroad was even a question.
by AnimeGamer183
Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Actually, the pacing is fine because a good majority of the content is optional, its about as personal a game as you can get, from specing your characters to how much time you actually dedicate to it, even down to the way the character looks, even in cutscenes. Running through the game doing just the story missions and bosses I would imagine it only takes 40-60 hours which is about average for a jrpg. Its pacing is all up to the person playing it, and that is perfection if you ask me. Its accessible to the hardcore completionist and to the more casual RPG player.
by AnimeGamer183
Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The man is making some good sense. I studied all three games and i love em all to pieces, but I gotta say, you ever notice most people play the start of Xenogears, stop, then months/years later play the start again? The game has really bad pacing, it takes over an hour to even get into a fight and even longer to get into an exciting fight, and hours to get into a mech fight.

I still haven't finished the game, but I can't say the reason I've started/stopped/started again is because of pacing. In fact, my absolute favorite part of the game is still, even after having finished over half the game, the very beginning in Lahan village before the fighting even starts. And that's just because of the totally innocent atmosphere.
Not saying you're wrong about the pacing, just that that's never been the problem with it for me.

Personally though, I'd still say the idea of good or bad pacing in an 80+ hour long RPG is kind of a joke anyway. What with the presence of level-grinding, exploration, item hunting, and side-questing, the pace is dictated very much by the player. Can't really see why an RPG fan would have a problem with that anyway, since progressing at your own pace has always been one of the appeals of the genre itself.
EDIT: ...like AG said. Sorry, only skimmed his post befre typing that.
by OL
Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Devil May Cry series

How Capcom turned public opinion around

They turned opinion on the game? First time I've heard of it.
by Tuffty
Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Me & Manny at SD:

by Dorian
Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Resident Evil

Live action or gameplay? Why not both :P

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yduc3xJknhg[/youtube]
by Thief
Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: i always found em extremely pretentious

hence Dorian likes em :P

by Dorian
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Square and Enix RPG's(anything outside Final Fantasy)

^Yeah probably Kingdom Hearts 2.5 with Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, Birth By Sleep Final Mix, and scenes from Dream Drop Distance. All leading up to the announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3... I hope.
If they didn't remake 358/2 Days, then why would they remake BBS? Remaking DDD is a far better idea because they would have the opportunity to fix the crap from the 3DS original. Plus, it makes far more sense to remake a sequel to KH2 in KHHD II.5 (or whatever it's going to be called) than to remake a prequel to the first KH. If they were to remake BBS, they would do it for KHHD I.5. But hey, this is Square Enix so no logic should be applied. Developing games at Square Enix:
http://i.imgur.com/osCDj.gif
by Dorian
Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:XD I've given more copies of tits and Ys Seven then you'll ever know.

by Dorian
Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:lol: Yeah sadly i have. The guy pretty much thinks he invented everything that's ever been in one of his interactive movies.
by Who Really Cares?
Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biohazard

Maybe but that's the way the story plays out best.
by Who Really Cares?
Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sleeping Dogs

^ That's so cool. To me anyway.
by Spokane
Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wii U

I wanna touch segata o.o
by AnimeGamer183
Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Assassins Creed Series

I've only sat down and played it twice since I bought it due to being busy but I've been having fun. I just beat what I think was sequence 3.

I've seen a few bugs here and there but the only major one was when a woman disappeared in a cut scene and the main character just looked like a crazy man talking to himself.

Otherwise I'm enjoying myself. The same problems from others games are still there but it's fun to play. I'm about 4-5 hours in and I'm still learning how to do certain things.

I avoided pretty much every trailer other then the launch one but not playing as the Indian guy at first was a shock. I loved the original guy and I thought he was going to be up there with Ezio but he turned out to be a Templar the bastard. Have to admit I wasn't expecting that.

On another note I end up hating Desmond more and more each game.
by Riku Rose
Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dishonored

Non, it isn't. It's a well made game that is engaging and interesting to play, giving me greater moments through exploration and execution of playing stealthily, than another scripted 'hit X to win' setpiece. If you're comparing it to other games of it's type then I still think it holds it's own. I'd much rather that developers take their cues from Dishonored than Call of Duty and make more games like this.
by Tuffty
Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things That Made You Laugh Today

Admit it that's not funny [and she knows] it its just the cleavage you enjoyed watching which was what she wanted.
by Who Really Cares?
Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ways I Would Make Assassin's Creed 3 Better by Orange Lightning

1.) Reinstate the "high-profile" button in conjunction with the button for foot movement. A single button for running/freerunning is just too imprecise, and leads to too many awkward mistakes during chases or normal traversal. I shouldn't run aross a ship and unintentionally keep hopping on cannons and ledges for no reason. It looks ridiculous.
There was no reason to change it. Not like it was complicated before anyway. This is a case of to much streamlining, and now the X button on the PS3 controller (or A on the 360 one) serves little purpose outside of battle. Unless you want to jump to your death, that is.
At the very least, give us an option of which kind of controls to use, rather than forcing the streamlined version on us.

2.) Allow cutscenes a little more time to develop, with more room for dramatic effect. As Riku mentioned, something like the scene in the tavern at the end was brilliantly done, and recieved the time it needed, but others (such as the actual Desmond-centered ending) feel hastily-thrown-together, with very little dramatic impact at all.

3.) More interaction with historical events/figures. The American Revolution backdrop is well-implemented in some cases (such as the Battle of Bunker Hill, the Boston Tea Party, or Paul Revere's ride), but by the end of the game, that backdrop seems to drop out of existence, instead focusing on the more mundane story of Connor and his own motivations.
No Cornwallis? No Vice Admiralty Courts? No press gangs? No battle of Yorktown (would have been the perfect end, utilizing British, American, French, and Indian troops all in the same place)?
Despite a few really cool uses, the time and place settings feel oddly under-utilized. Being based around a war , you would think this would be the most epic, large-scale AC yet; instead, despite a particularly large "world," the story itself feels like one of the smallest in the end.

4.) Make Connor more interesting. It's been said already, but Connor comes off as incredibly bland. His personality has almost nothing endearing in it, his insistance on "freedom" comes off as blind, teenage rhetoric, and his voice actor is simply unfit to play a character meant to hold a commanding presence. Byt the end of everything, I was left with no desire whatsoever to see this character given another game of his own.
Like Riku said, Haytham is simply the more interesting, entertaining character. Considering that he's Connor's father, you would think they would have carried over some of that swagger as an inherent familial trait, to further emphasize their relation and make the resulting events a little more tragic and affecting.
But no, they may as well have been completely unrelated. A sad missed opportunity.

5.) Keep the stealth generally the same as in the other games. You could argue that they should make it better , but that's exactly what they tried to do. In some instances it payed off (such as in the use of the corner-kills, whistles, and the ability to hide in thick foliage), but in others (the aforementioned over-alertness of guards, the immediate alarms, and the automatic enemy knowledge of your position) it just hurts the experience and makes it less fun. And I think the negatives affect the game even more than the positives do.
Keep the new features, but revert the "AI" back to what it was. It might not be a step forward in AI, but at least it wouldn't be a step backward. And that consistency with the old games would be a lot more fun (which is the ultimate goal).

6.) Yet another "revert back" suggestion, but the counter kills were much more satisfying to perform in previous games. Again, go back to the "high-profile" button setup. The new control scheme is just too easy, and relies a bit less on timing and skill than it did before. Granted, it's good that the new one makes you take different tactics with different enemies, but the exact same thing could have been done with the "high profile" button as well, without dumbing it down. The big red triangle flying up over enemies' heads doesn't help either. Just makes it feel too easy.

7.) Allow horses to take a couple shots before falling down. It's just retarded that while trying to make a daring escape, I can dramatically jump on a horse, valiantly ride five steps, then have the horse fall down under me when it gets shot a single time. To hell with realism; I want fun, and it's nigh-impossible to make a fun escape on horseback with these frail-ass, one-shot horses.

EDIT: 8.) Bring back the hookblade. Some of the greatest moments I've had in Assassin's Creed came from making a blind leap of faith and being saved by a quick-thinking use of the hookblade from Revelations.
If not the actual hookblade (which, granted, was pretty specific to the Turkish order of Assassins) then have Connor use his tomahawk in the same way, reaching out with it and grabbing ledges/speeding up climbing. Would look awesome and actually be useful.
by OL
Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Those unfinished games you want given a 2nd chance?

Rakim wrote: Beyond Good & Evil.
Its supposedly coming along, but its taking forever.

Yeah I'm annoyed at that. We had a Rayman last year this year should have been Jade's turn.
by Who Really Cares?
Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

What's funny is that issue you're on about (issue 9) was released the day the missus broke up with me. We've now been engaged for three years and we're still waitin in issue 11.

And yeah, I love it too. Just not Deadly Premonition.
by MiTT3NZ
Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spokane wrote: I can't believe Hostess is going out of business.

No more twinkies! OH NOES!

Wait TBH I can't remember the last times eating one. However thousands lost jobs and that really sucks ass
by Bluecast
Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Game/Games Are You Currently Playing?

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Well on the plus side next years game is Modern Warefare 4

That's like after taking a huge shit looking forward to taking a slightly smaller large shit
by Bluecast
Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Next Xbox to be named....

AnimeGamer183 wrote: ^ That and Fable.
It's on PC too actually. :P
by Yukupo
Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Next Xbox to be named....

Yeah Fable II never came to PC but III did. 1 has the best story,characters and combat and II has the best world. III was poor and Journey a surprisingly fun Rail shooter.
by Who Really Cares?
Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People keep slamming this thing for specs. Get's me thinking because the PS3 & 360 are still top of the line specs all these years? No. The games kept people interested. Then these people so obsessed with specs and want top of the line then won't admit it's now next gen and want to cling to the 360 & PS3...you know the systems with 6 year old tech. Then they say well they were top of the line in 2005! Yeah well my 386 PC from the 80's was top of the line back then also. S0 was my N64 in 1996 and Xbox in 2001. So ?
by Bluecast
Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sounds like a pretty unenthralling launch, both hardware and game wise.

Bring me back to 9/9/99.
I been reliving the DC launch last week or so because I'm that nerdy. Reading the mags playing some Shenmue then playing the hoard of Demo discs. My fanboyism for the DC has led me to always be amazed how awesome the thing is. So fucking ahead of it's time.

http://i.imgur.com/EKX9u.jpg
by Bluecast
Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vote for Ryo in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transforme

I hope for Ryo to win but if he has to lose let it be against Segata Sanshiro who's a worthy contender. He did after all sacrifice himself so Sega could release the Dreamcast.
by ys
Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'd rather see Terry of Yokosuka, cause you know... he means what he says.
by Yama
Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Guest

Jump to topic

Tex Mex makes everything better. You just made me hungry for some enchiladas.

But yeah, as strong as consoles are now, there's nothing holding anything back from advancement now. The real issue is just more competent use of what's currently available. Almost anything can be done with what we already have. I honestly don't know what people are expecting with the next generation.
by OL
Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just out of curiosity, what would you do with Connor to make him more palatable, or more true to his background?
I'm not asking in a snide way. I just want to hear it from someone who actually knows and understands the culture personally. It's easy for someone like me to say "he should be more charming" or "he should be funnier," but it's kind of a shallow bit of input compared to an actual cultural perspective.

I mean 99% of the time we're being called Indians (obviously we're not from India) or Native Americans (we lived here waaay before Americo Vespucci was even a gleam in his pappy's eye)
To be fair, I use the term "Indian" as a very simple, broad reference term, in the same way I'd call white people "white people" (we're not literally white) or hispanics "hispanics" (a term derived from a country that many people -- in the US at least -- who belong to that ethinicity know little of and/or have no ties to).
It's just a word. As much as I agree with you that the various tribes situated on this continent all have very different, unique cultures to eachother, I don't see it as entirely unreasonable to have an encompassing term to describe them. No more unreasonable than "whites," "blacks," "Europeans," "Asians," or "Hispanics" at least.
by OL
Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Segata Sanshiro is played by Hiroshi Fujioka who just happens to voice Iwao Hazuki. ;-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfMMXuGtdp0[/youtube]
by Ziming
Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: seem to remember a certain someone getting a Japanese copy of a certain blue critter.

Making me relive that is ban worthy. :lol:

Like you said, similar to the PS3 it's more or less a hardware launch. The technology seems solid at the very least, bugs aside.
by Yama
Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yea, I like it alot, I just like the Ezio games better. It just comes down to being alittle unhappy with where things are headed more then disliking this game specifically.

Absolutely. It's a very well-made game, certainly still worthy of the Assassin's Creed series. There are just a number of detractors, most of which (for me, at least) stem from having played and loved the preceding three games as much as I did. I now totally get how Segata can practically tear a game to shreds with various complaints, but still love it regardless. :lol:
Still Assassin's Creed, and it's still completely worthwhile.
by OL
Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spokane wrote: Please stop ruining AC3 for me. :sad:

So its still fun though right?

Mind you Segata it's built in him to analyse and tear apart every game piece by piece he plays like or hate
by Bluecast
Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2006 is was Wii remotes into TV's and now Giant game pads into TV's?
by Bluecast
Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Organic coffee beans
... and deep
aftertaste and clean taste with no rough
kick ass taste ... the first time! Come taste the ice , even, deeply delicious ... Hiroshi Fujioka, produce and put the feelings in the body gently darned tasty coffee courage and love fills you! "Fujioka, coffee"
http://i.imgur.com/gB1N3.jpg

We can get him.
by Bluecast
Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With all my complaints about Connor's voice actor, I thought I'd look around for actors who I think would have done a better job. Obviously he'd have to be Native (is that a less insulting term? More descriptive, rather than being an inaccurate branding...).
After a bunch of searching, I quite like this guy. Eric Schweig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHfKBKIDjZ0

Might seem a little old (I want to say he's in his 40s...) but I saw videos of him from the early 90s too, and his voice was about the same, so he could reasonably pull off a 20-something I think. But besides that, he's just got a much deeper voice, likely much more capable of actually being commanding (which is kind of an important quality to the role) than the actor they eventually used for Connor.
And imagining it, I think even with the same exact script, his line delivery would come off as far less-annoying than the one they ended up going with. He wouldn't sound like a mopey kid reciting ideals, but rather a mature adult fighting for a cause. I might still have a problem with the character himself being less-fun than Ezio, but at least the voice would be better.

Too bad they can't re-record everything and patch it into the game. :lol:
by OL
Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They might be able to improve him, if they wanted to use him again. But it would take a lot of work to make the transition smooth, from him being... the way he is , into someone more likable. It would take an awful lot.
I'd prefer if they just move on to a new character. Or re-visit someone from the past.

And the series can go as long as they have good ideas for it. Sales and commercialism and whatever else aside, it's a series primarily built around creating alternate world history. And with a setup like that, they could literally use any point in time using almost any culture they want.
And they seem to love going off the beaten path the most; the Middle East during the Crusades, Renaissance Italy, Ottoman-ruled Constantinople... even the American Revolution is pretty far out there for an action/adventure game these days. There are almost unlimited options for them in expanding the Assassin's Creed series.
In my eyes, at this very moment, in the mood I'm in right now... I really don't want the series to ever end. As long as they keep the story canon intact without punching holes in what's already been established, I'd be happy to explore more and more cultures and time periods with the AC series. It has a great kind of formula to it that allows a lot of leeway for introducing new elements and features, depending on each individual game's subject matter.
by OL
Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic