Search found 64 matches

Return

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

Man, I've been working on a 3d model for the past 3-4 weeks for an application to Arenanet and I just found out yesterday it was taken down. :mad: Someone emailed them about it and they said they only needed character artists and programmers. It would appear they posted the environmental artist internship position by accident.

But either way it's been good experience and it's a really solid portfolio piece. There's always that.
by Yukupo
Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts! v2.0

I think I wanna go see a movie this friday, not sure what to see Flight, Cloud Atlas, or The Man with the Iron Fists.

DO NOT SEE CLOUD ATLAS!!!!
Could not disagree more. I just got back from seeing it. It was one of the best films I've ever seen in my life.

why is that kenny?

You'll waste three hours of your life on pretty much nothing. Granted there are a few parts that are cool (mostly with Neo-Seoul cause it had the most interesting story), its beautifully shot, and the concept its awesome but its poorly executed.

You have six stories that barely intertwine with each other and you can really care less about many of them, except for probably Neo-Seoul but that had a pretty lackluster finale to it.
I feel the exact opposite. I found those 3 hours to be precious and valuable. I found all the stories really well executed and I cared about every single one of them. Whenever it cut back and forth I was like "Man I want to see what happens next" but quickly proceed to being engaged in the next story. Fantastic, simply fantastic .
by Yukupo
Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What TV Series Are You Watching

I'm in love with Star Trek DS9 and TNG.
by Yukupo
Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

I splurged a little. Now that I have the means, I finally bought a Playstation 3 ! I got the slim model-- (not the super slim because I think it's incredibly ugly.)

I also picked up:

God of War saga collection
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Annnd Back to the Future movie trilogy on Bluray.

Okay I'm gonna put my wallet away for now. *cough*
by Yukupo
Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last Game/System/Peripheral You Bought

Wait what did I miss?
Yakuza Dead Souls.

Dead Souls isnt part of the main series.

Still a Yakuza game though, and it's still nut-bustingly awesome. :nice!: Yeah I saw it but I decided it was a side game so I'd pass for now. Whether it's cool or not wasn't the issue, but I had to close the wallet up at some point. :lol:
by Yukupo
Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's still early but what the hell. Christmas coming up!

I like Christmas to some degree. I don't care about presents. I just like the atmosphere, decorations, music, and cooking and eating a great meal. And of course being together with family and friends. Consumerism can go away.

And I don't really care that it's a Christian holiday because it's really more of a Pagan holiday anyway with Jesus tacked on anyway. (And in modern times, a Pagan holiday with Jesus tacked on's corpse paraded around by large corporations to sell massive amounts of products!)
by Yukupo
Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

I just started playing Yakuza 3 last night. Man I forgot how much I loved these games. I didn't have a PS3 for the longest time so I just had to sit after playing Yakuza 2 all those years ago. The game looks great too. It's cool to see Okinawa. (The fishing mini game could use some work though...)

HOPEFULLY I can convince yukio to play Y3 together simultaneously like me and him have done with so many other games in the past. 8) Better hurry up. :P
by Yukupo
Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Next Xbox to be named....

There's also the possibility of the Steam Box. Valve's working on something.

But anyway, I wish Microsoft would have ditched the branding of Xbox. But I always thought it sounded lame. (Of course they did ditch the Zune branding and named it Xbox Music which definitely sounds stupid.) But that's modern Microsoft.

I liked 360 at first after not caring for the original Xbox. But it became apparent as time went by that it was mostly a console for competitive multiplayer military shooters and most of the stuff I did like on it was multiplatform anyway. With that in mind and the amount Microsoft has screwed us over in the last year, I think it will be the last console of this generation I will show any interest in.
by Yukupo
Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's true, but I can't think of many exclusives I care about on Xbox aside from the Mistwalker games. Of course now they make games on Wii/U.
by Yukupo
Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AnimeGamer183 wrote: ^ That and Fable.
It's on PC too actually. :P
by Yukupo
Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Skies of Arcadia HD news (GAF topic)

Deep sea research lab? That was Ultima weapon, you could draw the GF Eden from him! I do know what you're talking about now though, if you did something wrong with the steam valves, you got spammed with enemies. Omega was WAY harder than Ultima though. ;-)
You're right, after looking it up I don't remember if I even fought Omega Weapon. :shock: (It was a very long time ago though.) Maybe that's why I forgot there were two.
by Yukupo
Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So what do you do?

I graduated with a bachelors in Digital Arts this year and now work at a small indy game company as an Art Director.
by Yukupo
Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Any other bronies on the dojo?

Saw a couple episodes before. It's not bad for a kids show. If I was a kid I would probably watch it. But as an adult I do find it a little grating after a while. But that's true with most kids shows for me even if I used to like them a lot. Doesn't mean I wouldn't still watch some but only in limited doses.

One thing I do really like is the art though. It has great style and animation.
by Yukupo
Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wii U

My roommate bought one so it looks like I have an account too. Yukupo is the name. (Surprise surprise.)
by Yukupo
Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2003 Members

This also marks the 10th year on this same phpbb database after we left forumplanet! :shock:
by Yukupo
Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ni No Kuni

Well I gave in and bought it. I don't know when I'll start it but it's in my collection now. :)
by Yukupo
Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Happy Birthday Topic

Thanks guys! :D (... 27, This isn't funny anymore, make the aging stop! ...)

:lol: @ that comic. You know me so well.
by Yukupo
Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Happy Birthday Topic

Thanks Sonikku. I didn't realize I was the first one you told. I'm honored. (I very much remember the conversation though.)

And remember, even when I'm not around, I'm always watching.

(...Except when I'm not...)
by Yukupo
Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yakuza series

I know I'm behind, but I finally beat Yakuza 3. :)

(So I started in November and it's now March, but I finished it! Isn't that what matters?)
by Yukupo
Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

*Pops in*
September 15, 2003.

It's been 10 years since I've registered at the Dojo. :shock:
by Yukupo
Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Red Baron

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've come around. Been incredibly busy building a new game. (Well, a new entry in a series that goes back to 1990 !) It's been months of hard work getting this prototype done! Today we just launched our Kickstarter campaign for it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron

Please take a look and spread the word! (I'm in the video too. :oops: )

I also designed this website for it: http://www.redbarongame.com
by Yukupo
Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mue, I appreciate your support for Anita and the cause.
by Yukupo
Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Second day after the announcement. Still so excited. :shock:
by Yukupo
Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Now its time for me to load up Shenmue because that's obviously how I have to spend my evening now. ;-)
by Yukupo
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yukupo and James Brown appear! It's like Yu Suzuki lit the Dojo torches!

http://i.imgur.com/CqMjmQ9.jpg

Regardless of how this game pans out, I am grateful if for no other reason than to see old friends and chums all together one last time. :heart: *sonnikku huggles!* :heart:
Hey its great to see you too Sonikku! :D
by Yukupo
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The reunion topic.

MiTT3NZ wrote: You still working on Red Baron?

Still in the works but since we didn't get kickstarter the primary focus has been on our other game, Villagers & Heroes.
by Yukupo
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I haven't been gone too long, I guess, since I pop in and out from time to time. But I graduated college majoring in digital arts and have spent the last 3 years as art director at an indie game studio, (Mad Otter Games.) I have a wonderful girlfriend and am kept pretty busy with life and work so I don't play games as much anymore either. (Though I am playing Shenmue at this very moment.)
by Yukupo
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bastard Yusuke wrote: How in the FUCK haven't we had a reunion sooner?!

I found this in my archive of images. :-k Can't remember what it was all about but I thought I'd share. :lol:

by Yukupo
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ShenmueDojo.com as it was 14 years ago

Supa wrote: Snickers...the official candy of Shenmue Harbour.

Thanks for reminding me. :shock:
by Yukupo
Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finally got around to looking through my old signatures. I had way too many so I just picked a Shenmue one.
by Yukupo
Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Feminism

Feminism is absolutely necessary. Its plain as day. I can see it in your responses, throughout the gaming community, throughout society as a whole.

First of all, let's dispense with the feminist strawman already. Feminism is not here to take over and oppress men. If you want to look for radical feminists that want to kill all men, sure you can find them. Because you know what? There are radical people for every movement. But bringing it up every single time feminism is brought up is ridiculous. You're shutting the conversation down before it can happen. ( Not sure how many here are Christian, but if somebody brought up the radical sects of Christianity to you every time you mentioned your religion I'm sure you'd be pretty pissed off. )

We are still a long way out from actual equality. The arguments people today use against feminism are the same arguments men used against feminism 100 years ago. You want to think we're all equal but we're not. Until we can all acknowledge our privilege and work toward a better future we're going to be stuck in inequality for a long time.

Women are treated as objects. Its clear the way they're presented in the media and the way people talk about or to them. I'm sure all of you wouldn't feel good if your entire life was people judging you as a sex object. If you're sexual, you get called one slur, if you're not sexual you get called another. There's no winning there. For a man, it doesn't matter. That's called a double standard which wouldn't exist if we were equal.

Women are treated as less intelligent or less qualified. Would you feel good about going through life trying to pursue a career and are constantly questioned, talked down to, and having everything explained to you while a person of the opposite sex does not?

Nobody is saying as a white man you haven't had challenges and adversity in your life, but typically for women and people of color your have to work twice as hard to get half as far. People have socially constructed images of how they view certain types of people to be and its hard for many to get past them.

On the topic of 'shaming white men'. White men have ruled for a long time. The institutions that exist within western society were created and controlled by white men. Most wealth is owned by white men. Laws were made by white men. Historically its a very unequal world. This is not about shaming white men. It's not about calling them evil. It's about exposing the privilege they enjoy each and every day so that we might start getting the conversation going as to how to change the world.

It's easy to say "Hey, they should take down the confederate flag, see I'm not racist!" It's not as easy to understand and admit your privileges and biases.

The 'everyone is to sensitive these days' argument is bullshit. You don't want to admit that these things are ingrained in society and that maybe, hey, you're a little bit sexist/racist/homophobic/etc too. Its easy for a bunch of white men to sit around and go "Yeah I agree that's not offensive, these people are too sensitive!"

Your experiences != everyone else's.
by Yukupo
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, man. Those were definitely fun times. I enjoyed that forum.
by Yukupo
Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@ Riku

That's basically the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The idea that the only reason men care about women is because they want to have sex with them. That joke basically is, 'male feminists can't get women the traditional way, so they're just faking caring about women's issues to get them into bed.' It reflects what I mean about objectification of women. It's acknowledging that you don't see them as human beings worthy of the same rights and treatment that men get.

I'm proud to be a feminist because I care about the rights and feelings of others. I don't think it's that radical of a concept. :-k

And again, feminism isn't about putting down men , it's about putting down this attitude towards women.
by Yukupo
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@Riku's 'joke' post
The 'everyone is to sensitive these days' argument is bullshit. You don't want to admit that these things are ingrained in society and that maybe, hey, you're a little bit sexist/racist/homophobic/etc too. Its easy for a bunch of white men to sit around and go "Yeah I agree that's not offensive, these people are too sensitive!"

Your experiences != everyone else's.

@Shenmuedabest
What's your point? People are jerks to each other? I don't see what that has to do with feminism. Was critique on the shirt warranted? Sure. Insults? Nah.

@St. Elmo's Fire
If you all want to live by "there are worse things in the world so there's no point in doing anything to make life better here" then stop complaining about anything. Just spend every day being thankful you're not somewhere worse. Forget social progress. Or does social progress only matter when its an issue you care about?

Also, there's totally a difference between sexual attraction and objectification. Sexual attraction is a natural feeling. Objectification is treating women like they aren't people. You are arguing its what we do, but society is set up to be a world for men, not women. Its socially acceptable to do it so that's why you think its okay. You're using this as an excuse to stay in the dark ages when we know better. We can see the result of how women are treated and its not pretty.

Feminism is about educating people so that slowly but surely attitudes change. What's wrong with a more caring and compassionate world?
by Yukupo
Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: About the character design

As someone who has spent time working on prototype art for a kickstarter and who's actively employed at an Indie studio I can say you don't always have the time or resources to get it as polished as you might want. I think a lot it is going to just be textural polish as they continue on the project. I'm not worried about it. Sometimes when you spend a lot of time working on a model, or any piece of art, you start to not be a good judge of how it looks. Getting fresh eyes on it is almost always the best way to refine it.

Its good to get feedback like this too. I know we've listened to our player's feedback on many occasions and brought it back into our game. I expect they'll do the same.

Its also worth noting that games are never shown to the public at the prototype stage. Kickstarter is sort of a unique thing in this regard. We're used to seeing mostly polished trailers when games are announced.
by Yukupo
Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What would you want changed for a Shenmue HD?

I agree about modernizing the controls. Its not that they bothered me but I know its a big deal to many people and making the game more accessible is important. I also want the updated Shenmue II stuff. And I'd absolutely love being able to select the language. (Having a capsule toy shelf you could place your toys would be pretty awesome as well.)

Yeah, I forgot about how much the Magic Weather system shrunk in Shenmue II. It had to have snowed at least once in Hong Kong in early 1987.
As cool as it would be to see snow again, Hong Kong is sub tropical. In fact the last time slight snow was even seen was 1975 .
by Yukupo
Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Blizzard has Sonikku committed

Hey Katie, I know we haven't talked in quite a while but I'm always here if you need to talk. You're my friend and I really hope you feel better!
by Yukupo
Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic