Search found 8 matches

Return

Re: If you call yourself a "nerd" I probably hate you. (redd

Well, I still don't necessarily think that complaining about these types of people really does much good, but I can see where you're coming from.

For instance, I'm really, really into music. A lot of people might call me a hipster because of some of the music I listen to, and yet I probably would take at least slight offense to that label. I don't think it's a big deal or anything, but yeah, I don't want people thinking I'm a hipster in much the same way you don't want people calling you a nerd. I see hipsters as people with almost entirely predictable interests, and whose knowledge of the subject is pretty much limited only to what's seen as "cool" to be into.

Still, what's the point in complaining, really? I don't really see what could come of it, and I think there's the danger there of coming off like a pretentious dickhead instead of just having some people mistake you for a nerd (same thing I have to be conscious of). What's worse? Frankly, I think it's probably best to stop giving a shit what anybody thinks of you and your interests.

Dig the avatar by the way.
by streetwaves
Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Latest Purchases

Had been meaning to pick this up for a while. One of my favorite underrated gems on the Dreamcast.
by streetwaves
Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japanese Music

phpBB [video]
by streetwaves
Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Japanese Music

phpBB [video]

Pretty underrated band from the 70s in my opinion.
by streetwaves
Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Photography Thread

Here are a few of mine from a few years ago. Haven't shot anything in a while, but hope to get back into it at some point soon. I think they were all shot with a Hasselblad 500C/M.

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/31590/373063/4602536217_55b31b5a51.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/31590/374358/4323521663_9084abec74.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/31590/373063/3442885446_ccb598ec26.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/31590/373063/4225970366_6d3723a085.jpg

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/0/31590/373063/4246493229_4814742851.jpg
by streetwaves
Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favorite movie scenes

I think the opening to Suspiria is quite brilliant:

phpBB [video]

Hana-Bi
phpBB [video]
by streetwaves
Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Good Looking Broads

What was up with this guy?

Honestly I was never able to read a full post of his.

I always love me some Scarlett Johansson:

Essentially a perfect face IMO.
by streetwaves
Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Nioh (PS4) - Onimusha meets Dark Souls

I think it's just the fact that it's a Souls-like game that can actually stand on even ground with the series that inspired it. There are plenty of Souls-inspired games out there (most of them 2D), but so far none of them really get it quite as well as Nioh does. It's a challenging game, sure, but it's also ridiculously well-balanced; it's not cheap about its difficulty in the slightest, and every style of play that it offers is a legitimately viable one.
At the same time, it also manages to have its own style of gameplay that prevents it from just being a straight clone. In a way, it's kind of like Nioh venerates the Souls series as if it created a new genre. You could compare it to early 3D fighters: if Demon's Souls is Virtual Fighter, then Nioh is Tekken. Both share a genre, but each offers their own individual appeal.
That being said, I can't really say I have any clue what you think is drab about the visuals. I'm finding it to be incredibly flashy and colorful, myself, with some really excellent character designs all around The only issue I have in that department is that the enemy variety is a surprisingly small. And so far I only find the game to be as repetitive as Demon's Souls ever was.
Enter level-->fight things-->level up-->continue. Just how this style of game goes, I guess.
Admittedly I've never played a Souls game, but by all accounts it's very similar so I'm sure you're right that it's no more repetitive. I also wouldn't call Nioh more drab in comparison with those games - in fact it's probably got more visual style, though I still don't think it's all that much. The levels usually look pretty generic in my opinion, and the enemy variety problem you mentioned doesn't help. Just feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over in a slightly different-looking location. There are some exceptions to this, and some beautiful boss designs, but overall it's not exactly oozing with style to my eyes.

That said, I don't want to sound like I dislike the game - I do like it a fair bit, I'm just a little surprised by the response it's gotten. Admittedly though, I've never really been big on games with heavy emphasis on stat building/crafting/etc, so I kind of already wasn't the game's target player anyway.
by streetwaves
Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic