Search found 114 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue HD Fact sheet

d3t. Now I know why the remaster has errors like wrong eye movement and aspect ratio. Somebody needs to reach out to them and explain a few things they're doing improperly before the console versions are baked.
You could do that yourself. Since you've been so vocal about it, why try to persuade someone else?

Since the game and developer have just been announced, I'm sure they'll appreciate constructive feedback..
by Crimson Ryan
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is no problem with the sky's design in Shenmue but the textures are just way too low res and appear blocky.
With the increased resolution it becomes all the more apparent and it catches your eyes quickly.

Judging by the trailer they already put some work into it. Even if they just put some bilinear filter over it, it will help without ruining the look. Creating a sky dome like in Shenmue II is definately asking too much and yeah the sky's look is definately part of Shenmue.
by BlueMue
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue I’s skybox is mentioned in this topic as a hypothetical change they could make to the original game, but I strangely prefer the first game’s sky to the second’s. I completely agree that Shenmue II’s skies are much more colourful and dynamic than the original’s, but there was something about the real life sky images (albeit static), that I preferred over the sequel. I’m an oddball.

Although not entirely sure where this “wrong eye movement” thing is coming from? I don't notice anything different in the trailer.
by Hadoken Hazuki
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spaghetti wrote: I should point out that if anybody here is going to contact D3T, please do so as politely as possible.

If you're being rude and demanding, there will be repercussions here.

100% agree. Be respectful everyone. D3T are doing us a massive service.
by ShenSun
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The quest for offline Passport access

Great efforts have been made to exchange the dub and increase the visual fidelity of Shenmue, things that can greatly enhance the experience. One thing that is part of the experience but often easily overlooked is the Passport Disc and there is something that should be tackled to increase the enjoyment of Shenmue even more.

The reason why it's often ignored is as everyone knows it's too damn hard to access all it's neat still functional on disc contents and features. Things like long term weather forecast, status on the kitten or trading slot house prizes with Oishi for animal capsule toys, stuff that is actually aiding playing the game. Other stuff like the online manual, character database and an incredibly in depth statistic on what you've done in the game.

What we need is some kind of hack that either tells the game that it's on an active dial up connection or just remove the check alltogether. I've been thinking about this countless times but have no idea where to start to look for a solution. This is where brainstorming and some serious work should start to be put into. There must be a way...
by BlueMue
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The quest for offline Passport access

Going back in time to 1999-2001, I must say that the Shenmue Passort was hugely atmosphereic and enjoyable for me. Very memorable. I'd love to see an offline respin project that simulates what it was like, but that's a lot of work.
by KiBa
Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo Competition - Sacred Spot Guide *NOW ENDED*

https://i.imgur.com/uREQhmi.png

Hi guys! On behalf of the Dojo, I have 3 of the English Shenmue Sacred Spot Guides to giveaway!

It's really easy to enter, just click the link at the bottom of this post and follow the steps! There are 8 ways to enter, and they're all really simple, especially for the majority of you guys, since you probably have already done the things that are required already :D

The ultimate goal for this giveaway is for the new Youtube channel to gain some traction. Along with the other outlets the Dojo provides such as Twitter, Facebook etc...As you may be aware the old Youtube Channel wasn't actually a part of the Dojo and was ran by an individual using the Dojo name, so Peter has been hard at work behind the scenes trying to get the new channel up to speed and jam packed with content for you all!

You can enter the giveaway here -

https://gleam.io/AxlSi/shenmue-dojo-sacred-spot-guide-english-version-giveaway

Best of luck guys, I will email the 3 winners this time next week! Hopefully...it'll be you! :D Haha, cheers!
by James Brown
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Release Date Speculation

I fully expect Shenmue 1 and 2 to be released at the tail end of this year. I have two reasons for this.

1. With them only saying 2018 I think it is going to be more likely to happen at the very end of the year rather than earlier.
2. I honestly think that Shenmue 3 will get pushed back to around March 2019. I’m not sure why, but I just have a feeling.

Yea i have the same feeling, i cant see Yu releasing 3 at the same time that just wouldnt be right. If Yu thinks its best to delay 3 again then he is right to do so, seeing as were getting 1&2 HD that will soften the blow of having to wait longer.
by Marlec
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How many copies are you gonna buy?

Multiple copies on Steam, then I'll just gift them to random players I encounter.
by ShenGCH
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2, one for always be in seal and the second one to play.
by drunkensailor
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At least one digital and one physical.

If we are lucky enough to get a collector edition, I'll buy that one as well and keep it in a safe :D
by Kiske
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I will buy 3 copies for me (PS4/XB1/PC) and if they release the game on Switch I will buy it too. I dont even have a XB1 or a Switch but I want to have one for each system as a means to show support and for my collection.

I also plan to buy some PC keys, Im planning to buy around 10 keys to giveaway so I can help the game reach new players who might be curious but are unsure to buy one themselves.

If I can make at least one new person fall in love with the game then I will be satisfied.
by Shuyian
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Return of the Passport?

This is the most important question to me right now. Will we see a return of all the features on the Passport Disc?

It was one of my dearest wishes to see the leaderboards and stuff go active again, there is loads of extra replay value if they bring this all back. The old urgent messages section could be used to bring in Shenmue III news, if the games releases are far enough apart.

It will definately take them quite a lot of extra effort to deliver this but man do I hope they do!
by BlueMue
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Return of the Passport?

70 person battle leaderboards will get intense.
by myshtuff
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I want Passport to return. I do not think it cost a lot to have this again. Actually most of Passport content is not truth online content. Most of the content was stored inside the disk. The text with the information of places, people and attacks was not in the disk but should not be a problem to have that data inside the HD game, it is just a few extra KB.

The only Only content will be leaderboards and message of the day, to have it or not wont make any big difference in cost.
by javier himura
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i really hope they include the passport features. all those stats, character and location info, cut-scene viewer. wont even mind if its just a 4:3 straight port

also it would be great if they include the What's Shenmue playable demo. too much to ask i know. i hope the dev team look at the forums and consider some of the fans requests. these things could still be feasible within their budget.
by johnvivant
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not sure if Sega would be willing to have to put up money for leaderboard servers and what not.
In the case of PS4 and Xbox Live, that's not a problem.

Leaderboards are hosted by Sony & Microsoft on their respective servers and are part of the console's integration with trophies/achievements. The native functionality is generic and provided at a console level, so it will continue to operate as long as PSN / XBL are supported on those platforms. I can't give you proof of this for Sony since their stuff is only available for developers, but here's Microsoft's leaderboard API for Xbox live.

The only stuff you'd have to worry about being shut down would be game specific content. In Shenmue passport's case, since none of it is realtime they could theoretically just build some web-based APIs and those would be cheap to maintain since they could be hosted by the same servers that host their other websites.

I don't think we'll get a direct port of Shenmue Passport though. It's just not something that games do nowadays. I would be surprised if some of the features did not return as extras, but I can't see them keeping it as-is for a direct port.
by Sappharad
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lets get those Dart leaderboards online baby!
by NismoZZzz
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The only stuff you'd have to worry about being shut down would be game specific content. In Shenmue passport's case, since none of it is realtime they could theoretically just build some web-based APIs and those would be cheap to maintain since they could be hosted by the same servers that host their other websites.

I don't think we'll get a direct port of Shenmue Passport though. It's just not something that games do nowadays. I would be surprised if some of the features did not return as extras, but I can't see them keeping it as-is for a direct port.

All the features of Shenmue Passport except Leaderboards and Message of the Day are not real online content. The content is stored inside the GD but they make it to require internet connection to promote that Dreamcast was capable to have online features. Passport Disc requires to be connected to view that content even for features that are 100% inside the GD like change of capsule toys.

The only content thas is not available inside the GDs are the text of places, moves and peoples profiles but that is just a few KB of txt files. Even the character models loaded in their profiles are stored in the GD, the only online content is the text.

If they will make a direct port of the original games i dont think it will be too hard to keep Passport but make the game not to require internet connection. They only need to add the profiles text and maybe disable leaderboards in the PC version.
by javier himura
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concerns about Shenmue HD.

Reprise wrote: I really, REALLY hope they don't add a modern map system with waypoints and objective markers. I don't think they will... I hope.

Ah... to me that's one of the worst things that ever happened to videogames.
Especially the Elder Scrolls series was heavily affected by this.
by Niowiad
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I never even wantd a REMAKE, all the nuances of Yokosuka would just be lost. I want Shenmue 1 & 2 as they are just with a resolution bump & Widescreen presentation! Heard the controls may be altered, not issues with that.

Something to the equivalent of Final Fantasyx/x-2 & xXII's Remastering would be ideal :)
by TheThirdComing
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would be great if you could practice your moves in Shenmue II as well.
by JPZ
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One for every member of my family; or former members, depending on who refuses to accept this token of my love.
by Wude-Tang Clan
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue I & II pre-orders dominating charts

Did any of you actually ever think you would see a post like this? Ever?

Great news for the series.
by Telekill
Sun May 13, 2018 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue I & II pre-orders dominating charts

https://s7.postimg.cc/e88nefle3/logo-100.png

Pre-orders for Sega's new remastered collection of Shenmue I & II have been topping the video game charts on Amazon around the world, taking the number one spot in the United States as well as European countries like France, Spain, and Italy.

Against strong competition, the demand for Shenmue at retail appears to be exceeding all expectations, boding well for the future of the series if gamers continue to show their support for its historic revival.

By customizing a pre-loaded AutoTweet at TeamYu.net , fans can ensure participation in the monthly #Shenmue Tweetathon every 3rd, spreading the love for Sega's new release as well as Ys Net's Shenmue III to follow.
by Team Yu
Sat May 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

If there is still going to be a trial version of the game I like the idea of doing what they did with Shenmue 1, where it had no bearing on the actual story, or spoilt the game, just a completely separate entity to familiarize with controls, style of the game. I guess if it is like What's Shenmue...they could be a potential "spoiler" in terms of seeing a location already, or a QTE where someone like "Jimmy" is changed to "Yukawa", but on the surface, i'd actually be happy to play that, especially if it helps with "testing" or fan feedback.
by James Brown
Sun May 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

On a whim decided to ask via the KS if the backer trial version was still planned:

Thank you very much for contacting us.

Currently we are still planning to deliver all of our rewards as promised.

Once more information concerning the rewards is available we will post an update to the Kickstarter page so please stay tuned.

For better or worse, looks like we're still getting it.
by Spaghetti
Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

Ridiculous! If at e3 there is no new content I think this will declared as one of the worst kickstarter campaigns when it comes to marketing.

By who, the Internet Salt Brigade? As far as the rest of the world is concerned, this is one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time. You can disagree with how much "behind the scenes" footage is shown, but YsNet is under no obligation to provide that kind of secondary content. Personally I'd like to see more, too, but it seems obvious that Deep Silver has taken over marketing and will roll out an official campaign when they're ready.

I agree with the speculation that Deep Silver took notice of the phenomenal response the I & II collection has gotten and that gave them confidence in investing in more development time.
by Centrale
Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Knowing that Shenmue 3 will be released in 2019 and the PS5 and the new xbox will be launched in 2020 if rumors are true, Shenmue 4 will be create for these new consoles?

Another thing that "worries" me is the engine, will be Unreal engine 4 appropiate to make a Shenmue 4 with new generation graphics?

If Shenmue 3 has enough succeed, they will make use of Unreal engine 4 again so that they can use the "know how" and many material from 3 so the 4 would take less time to make it. Using another engine would be an error in my opinion.

Inter generartional games don't take a big leap at the begining, so I think it would not be a problem. Also when a new console launches the "old" generation is still active for at least 2 or 3 years. For example, Metal Gear Solid V was released 2 years after PS4 and Xbox One launch on PS3-360 and the new consoles, and Sega has been releasing Yakuza and Persona on PS3 until Kiwami, 2 years ago, I think. So I am not worried about that. Also it makes no sense to make the jump to a new Engine (unless it is backed by Sega and they use Dragon Engine) when they have trillions of assets and mechanics to reuse
by Kyo_JP
Fri May 18, 2018 4:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

As it is, UE4 is already supporting technology that may be more advanced than what we'll see on theoretical next gen hardware. The engine won't be a problem.

Epic has been setting the stage for a lot of new technology in UE4 over the last year, for games and CG rendering for tv/film/adverts. It's basically eclipsed any need to be tied to console hardware for iteration.
by Spaghetti
Fri May 18, 2018 7:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In reference to the logo on page 6 of the comments, I'm hoping for the return of the original logo. I still really don't like the Yu Suzuki drawn logo.

Nice to see everybody is so positive. I saw the IGN video and they said it will be delayed as a negative.

IGN paints every delay as a negative. It doesn't matter which game it is. They value not impeding on their impatience more than the quality of the product.

Granted more development time does not always equate to a better game, however YSNet had received a substantial injection of funds midway through development (which is rare in game development as the budget is established upon the initiation of the publishing deal - however Shenmue 3 was without one until August 2017) which allowed Yu to broaden the game beyond was initially envisioned.

When you look at the average game development cycle, 36-48 months is typically the norm. If anything, it was premature of Yu to target a 2017 release.

An example of various game development periods:

Shenmue I - 48 Months
The Last of Us - 44 Months
Until Dawn - 42 Months
Ico - 44 Months
Uncharted 4 - 42 Months
Heavy Rain - 48 Months
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - 49 Months
Resident Evil 5 - 50 Months
Max Payne 3 - 58 Months
Killzone 2 - 51 Months
Beyond: Two Souls - 43 Months
Resident Evil 6 - 43 Months

It's likely that Shenmue 3 will fall between a 46-48 month cycle for a May - July 2019 release. Contrary to the popular opinion of IGN editors this shouldn't be a cause for concern.

Edit: Added additional game titles.
by WildManofBorneo
Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Thoughts

Who knew you could be nostalgic about cups? If you were in the US and grew up in the 80s and early 90s you may remember these.
by Haruto
Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

adom11800 wrote:I think we might all go crazy when we see what the actual game looks like.

Trust me, you will.
by Peter
Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

Yu Suzuki emphasizes the "humidity" word to define Shenmue. He actually thinks that modern technologies make possible the feel of this humidity to recreate some reality. According to him, being only realistic is not interesting because realism is not an end in itself. The Suzuki's intention is to offer something more attractive, more aesthetic than the reality, to embellish it.

Source: https://shenmuemaster.fr/page.php?cat=shenmue3&page=gamescom-2017-the-recap
by WildManofBorneo
Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just to point out- Hellblade has a cast you can maybe count on one hand (haven't played it but I know it's very limited with characters), and one of Ninja Theory's key design goals was AAA visuals on an indie budget.

Shenmue III has to realise a semi-open world with hundreds of NPCs. Although the aesthetic was an art choice, there's an element of practicality to it that probably informed the decision.
by Spaghetti
Sun May 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was kind of hoping for something more along the lines of the modern Yakuza aesthetic, but w/e I guess. I trust that Suzuki knows what he's doing.
by dietsoap
Sun May 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is a topic that's been discussed before. The fact is, Shenmue has always had stylized (or, if you will, "cartoony") art direction. Anyone who thinks Shenmue was photorealistic is mistaken. To me Shenmue III looks like a perfect continuation of the established style, updated with contemporary tech.
by Centrale
Sun May 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I always respond to this question with this:

http://zoonbats.com/s3/shenmue_stylized.jpg (c/o Centrale et al)

So, personally, my answer is no. Shenmue has always been highly stylized imo, and I believe it's just the difference in fidelity and graphical tech between a 20 yo game and an UE4 game that is causing the perceived dissonance between the old games and 3. Just my personal opinion, though.
by Anonymous81
Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I always respond to this question with this:

So, personally, my answer is no. Shenmue has always been highly stylized imo, and I believe it's just the difference in fidelity and graphical tech between a 20 yo game and an UE4 game that is causing the perceived dissonance between the old games and 3. Just my personal opinion, though.

Agreed. Shenmue has always been a bit exaggerated, the colors always a bit saturated.

The unknown grandma in SIII looks to be a perfect continuation of this art style.

https://i.imgur.com/ltV1Mkn.jpg
by WildManofBorneo
Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic