Search found 16 matches

Return

Could Niao Sun be Ryo's Mother (highly unlikely)

Hello all,

I've lurked the dojo since about 2003 or so and this is my first time joining and posting ever, mainly because I have been on an INSANE Shenmue kick lately, especially with how often it's been in the news the last couple of years. I apologize in advance if I'm breaking some type of forum rules or anything with this post/hair brained theory of mine, it's just something that has been on my mind since I have been playing the games a lot as of late and have noticed a lot more since the last time I played.

Please bear with me with this idea of mine, especially since there is basically no evidence backing it up but I'm curious to see the opinions of others regarding all of this.

To begin I find it INCREDIBLY peculiar that we have never seen ANYTHING regarding Ryo's mother, it is only barely mentioned in passing that she died when Ryo was about 3 years old due to some type of illness, we don't even know her name. The closest thing we have to some type of evidence that she existed is the comb that is found in the basement of the Hazuki Dojo (Ryo remarks "It's beautiful, could it have belonged to my mother") but no other mention of her than that. There aren't even any pictures of her or anything (mind you there is only one picture of Iwao in the entire game but we don't need proof that Iwao exists). In short Ryo's mother is essentially a ghost, we have no evidence that she ever existed.

With all of the secrets that Iwao brought back with him from China (The Mirrors, the death of Sun Ming Zhao, constructing the basement to keep the Phoenix Mirror safe etc.) its entirely possible that Iwao could have been hiding things from Ryo regarding his mother as well. Let's take a look into Iwao's past for a moment, at least what we know about his own journey to China. Iwao was 46 at the time of his death by the hands of Lan Di. When we encounter Kai in Shenmue 2 (the old "blind" man) he mentions that Iwao came to China 20 years ago, which would make Iwao 26 at the time of his journey. Who's to say he didn't encounter a woman at some point during his training (perhaps even a friend of Sun Ming Zhao) and it turns out to be Niao Sun. They all train and hang out for a while, Niao and Iwao fall for each other, Zhao does something with the mirrors and Iwao is forced to stop him, unfortunately killing him in the process, Iwao heads home to Japan taking the mirrors with him and Niao Sun comes with him to Japan.

Now, Ryo is born two years after Iwao's journey to China when he is 28 years of age. As stated Ryo's mother died when he was 3 years of age making Iwao 31 years old at the time of her death (sorry if me being too specific with ages is annoying, mainly just trying to get everything I'm thinking onto paper). But who's to say it's not much deeper than that.

Consider this option with an open mind (again just ideas and theories). Niao and Iwao have a happy few years, putting their past in China aside and raise baby Ryo all happily and whatnot. Perhaps Niao unites the mirrors one day out of curiosity of what Zhao experienced and Iwao is forced to confront someone he cares for once more (Note: I'm not trying to suggest any mirror theories or anything like that, there are more than enough of them and all are pretty interesting ideas IMO, just noting that the mirrors are very important). After Niao is stopped Iwao demands she leaves Japan at once for endangering their son, perhaps she always worked for the Chi You Men and had to earn Iwao's trust to obtain the mirrors, perhaps she was even turned evil after interacting with the mirrors (this is where things fall apart a bit as its difficult to suggest why things would fall apart/into place like this, so if I sound retarded I apologize). In an effort to protect both Ryo and the mirrors Iwao has the basement hidden away, storing the mirror and various other things regarding his past, gets rid of anything involving Niao (pictures, clothing, possessions etc) yet keeps her comb as a reminder of the woman he loved, tells Ryo his mother has died (let's keep in mind Ryo is only 3 years old at this time so he probably wouldn't know better, perhaps Iwao just had a fake gravesite, who knows (too elaborate for a lie I know)). Iwao hires Ine-san at this time as a live-in housekeeper/motherly figure to Ryo (It's stated that Ine-san has been the Hazuki housekeeper since Ryo was 3 years of age, or right after his mother died) so Ine-san would not know anything about Ryo's mother save for Iwao telling her she died of illness. Fuku-san moves into the Hazuki house when he is 16 years old making Ryo 8 at the time. Again, yet another person that would know nothing about Ryo's mother save for whatever Iwao or Ryo told him. This all leaves Iwao as the only person who knows that Ryo's mother is alive and well, perhaps even knowing she is one of the four leaders of the Chi You Men and they will be coming for the mirrors someday.

Now at this point you're probably bored of reading this nonsense but I still have a bit more to go, so thank you to anyone still reading I suppose XD.

Now you're probably thinking Niao Sun looks FAR too young to have an 18 year old son, she looks like she would be around the same age as Xiuying, Zi Ming and Lan Di. Either mid to late twenties and no older than early thirties and I couldn't agree more. There is always the possibility she could have been in her early twenties when she gave birth to Ryo or she could always just look damn good for her age, I mean Iwao certainly didn't look bad for pushing 50 so who knows. But something that is always pointed out regarding Niao Sun's traits is that she is considered VERY beautiful and alluring as stated in her character trailer from the pre dreamcast launch. The only real memory Ryo has stated he has of his mother is that he remembers she was very beautiful as he told Shenhua when they were chatting in the cave in Shenmue 2. Why am I bringing up Niao Sun's beauty you ask? Well I believe IF she were Ryo's mother and was possibly around the same age as Iwao at the time of his death give or take a few years it could POSSIBLY have something to do with the Elixir of Eternal Youth.

Now as most of us recall Ryo finds a small vial in the Hazuki basement known as the Elixir of Eternal Youth, remarking he remembers his father telling him about how it was used by martial arts experts in China, though for what reason has yet to be revealed. Now I can't recall if this is a fact that has been stated or just a theory so bear with me, but in the default file for Shenmue 2 one of the items Ryo has with him is the white leaf. Now it has been either stated or theorized (can't recall which) that this white leaf has had the Elixir of Eternal Youth used on it and that is the reason why it has not crumbled and broken apart after 20 years (I believe it was said that Iwao brought the leaf back with him from China so that fits into our timeline). Let's be honest, we've all seen the Shenmue Online and Project Berkley trailers, we know Shenmue WILL get mystical in some way, so saying someone who is in their 40's or so having a very youthful appearance thanks to some type of Elixir isn't totally outside of the realm of possibilities. Perhaps Ryo would encounter someone who recognizes the leaf has had the Elixir used on it (perhaps the maker of it) and remarks on how one of the four leaders of the Chi You Men is renowned for her beauty and believes it is thanks to this Elixir, leading Ryo to his first run in with one of the leaders of the Chi You Men and perhaps his mother.

This isn't a very solid theory by any means and it only has so much flexibility due to the fact that we know next to nothing about Niao Sun or the remaining remembers of the Chi You Men save for Lan Di whom we still know little about to this day. It's entirely possible that she, like Lan Di and Zi Ming had people she loved that were murdered and sought out the Chi You Men in order to take revenge on those that killed the people she loved, just like Lan Di and Zi Ming had done before her. Hell she could just be some psychotic deranged lunatic that only serves as an obstacle in Ryo's path (though I hope they don't go down that route with her character by any means being the enigma that she is).

I dunno guys, what are your opinions on this? Am I just putting nonsense together and trying to see things that aren't there? Interesting idea perhaps? Or do I just sound like I'm blowing fan fiction out of my ass :p?

Let's discuss :-k
by KX-5
Sat May 03, 2014 5:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just a quick little video showcasing movement glitches

Hello all,

Most of us veterans know about a lot of these movement glitches in Shenmue 1, but I stumbled across a short video in my subscriptions today that show the glitches in action, just wanted to give a quick share ^.^

http://youtu.be/omDWEYMwo80
by KX-5
Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tentei Revealed???

About Ten Tei [and by the way about Baihu]: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1064461#p1064459

About Baihu: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24098

Probably that man: http://shenmuedojo.net/images/Projectberkley/berkley18.jpg , is that man: http://www.totalvideogames.com/img/uploaded/www.totalvideogames.com_44802_13439.jpg ?

Scroll: http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31394

Thank you so much for the links Gio, I tried finding these on the forums but I wasn't having much luck. There's some really interesting ideas here
by KX-5
Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

If it's ANOTHER damn mobile game I think I'll be pulling some of my hair out ](*,)

Seeing as the trademarks in the US expired (despite mainly being a Shenmue Online problem, not too sure what it was all about honestly) I think this is just Sega refiling and renewing the trademarks in Japan for similar issues. I hate to be a downer but we've been burned SOOOOO many times over the last ten years. With that bit of realism out of the way.....

LET'S HOPE IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING, THIS COULD BE IT \:D/ ! At least HD Ports or HD Remakes (both preferably)...possibly even 3 at long long last. All I can say guys is we've got to keep fighting and being as loud and active as we have been, especially with the twitter stuff and the monthly thunderclaps.

NEVER quit fighting, NEVER give up, and NEVER surrender. We've been getting a LOT of good news and hope, especially over this last year or so. One day it WILL happen, and it will be because of how we've come together as a community, each and EVERY one of us has to keep making sure our voices are heard. Sorry for the rant guys...call it inspiration :oops:

Keep those fires burning :mrgreen:
by KX-5
Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NeoGAF: New Japanese trademark from Sega (Shenmue)

Well put it this way, every year we get our hopes up when E3 rolls around. This is based on no evidence. At least this time we have something to go off on..........................................before we get disappointed again :(

Personally I dont want Shenmue HD. I think they should reboot the series, or make 1 Shenmue game with shen 1,2 and 3 combined.

Lol I feel you Shen, it's been this way for 10-11 years. At least this year we have a LITTLE something even if it's not too much :/. But we still have to keep hope alive, if anything Shenmue has a wider fan base now than it had ten years ago. I agree if they DO pursue this the only way to make it work is through a reboot. It gives the older fans a new experience while still making it (hopefully) interesting enough to the new younger generations to want to pick it up. I like your idea of one Shenmue game with all 16 chapters on it. Hell with how huge blu rays are they could even redo 1 & 2 on one disc and have the 3rd game be on a second disc. Both to give it the old multi-disc feel and make the game even larger and epic. I would love to see them implement all of the ideas they were forced to scrap in 1 & 2 just to make things a bit different aside from the graphic overhaul.
by KX-5
Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things you just noticed (recent playthroughs)

RicoDredd wrote: I noticed the game is still boring as it was in 1999.

Then why in the living hell are you on a forum dedicated to it if you don't like it?
by KX-5
Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think this is probably just an over observation on my end, so if this sounds stupid I apologize. But after Shenmue 1's opening scene I noticed something a bit peculiar. As most of us know, there is a letter in Iwao's room to Ryo. Ryo concludes that his father must have known Lan Di was coming for him. But in the opening cinematic when Lan Di brings up Sun Ming Zhao, Iwao is REALLY surprised when he realizes who Lan Di really is. I kind of just feel like Iwao was expecting someone else to come for the mirrors, but not Sun Ming Zhao's kid. A different member of the Chi You Men? (perhaps the old man?) No, I'm not trying to suggest a new theory or anything, just something I've personally noticed over the last few months or so. Thoughts guys?
by KX-5
Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

All those planks climbed for nothing ;(

On topic, when you defeat Chai at the arcade if Ryo goes home before 7PM there will be no sign of Fuku-San whatsoever. I found that interesting because I think his absence implies that he tailed Ryo, saw that everything was alright and went into town for a drink (jk).

Nah but it sort of makes sense since we all know that Fuku randomly appears if Chai beats your ass.

Oh wow, I never even thought to try going back to the house after you beat Chai in the arcade. That's a REALLY great observation! Heh, and I think Fuku-san probably DID go for that drink, he does have a crush on that Akimi chick in Yokosuka Bar after all ;)
by KX-5
Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's a time traveler

What is your avatar from KX-5? It looks an awful like those Japanese foreskin commercials.

http://i.imgur.com/g1m1PGF.jpg

Uhhhhhm...haha I guess I can see that. Japanese people sure have some very....interesting commercials/issues to say the least, I didn't even know this was a problem over there >.>. But anyways my avatar is of the main antagonist in an online ARG/web series called TribeTwelve (it's a Slenderman thing, but it's pretty interesting). He's called The Observer.

Here's a link with him in it if you or anyone else is curious about it. It's kind of horror type stuff if you're into that sort of thing :p

http://youtu.be/ORlc41BxXJA
by KX-5
Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you fight Chai more than once

Yes. You fight Chai once in the arcade and once at the end of the game (he's the final boss).
by KX-5
Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Master Baihu = Zunming Zhao?

Secondary plot twist...Baihu is actually.....FUKU-SAN \:D/
by KX-5
Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sony's Most Anticipated Game 2015 poll vote Shenmue III

I don't think we'll get shunned, like at all. Sony is VERY well aware of how passionate Shenmue fans are. Even if they don't list it on the official results it's still us getting our voices heard somehow and reminds them that we're behind them and support them if they decide to save our beloved series. Nothing bad can come from doing it at all. I say if anyone decides to do this put in Shenmue HD just like Gio did as its more realistic to get, even if it's digital its SOMETHING.
by KX-5
Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unused Shenmue Assets in Shenmue 2 (Shenmue 3 Assets?)

Also dig your videos sir James ^.^
by KX-5
Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Possible Shenmue announcement in 2015?

Ello Dojo ^.^

So I stumbled across something interesting today that I thought I should share with you guys and get your opinion on. I frequent a website called eventhubs that focuses on fighting game news. I was attracted to this link because it mentioned a new Virtua Fighter game was rumored to be in development, but what really piqued my interest was number 8 on this list. Here is the link to the post that I'm referring to, I'll be continuing this post under the assumption that you've read number 8 on this posting, but I will still paste that little blurb below the link

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144519589&postcount=178

8. Another unnamed IP which is coming to Playstation exclusively from Sega should hopefully be announced next year. It's had teething issues which seems to be making it take longer than I thought, as have most other projects on current gen to be fair from the looks of it, but I'm happy to mention it again because it looks like we might finally get an announcement next year. I'm hoping at least. This one's not a fighting game.

Before I go any further into this I would like to point out that I've done my research and this isn't just a posting from some random guy on Neogaf. The poster Verendus has leaked a couple of big things a good 3-4 days before big shows such as E3 and TGS. He is responsible for revealing Final Fantasy XV's (formerly Final Fantasy Versus XIII) new name and platform change shortly E3 2013, he also brought up the possibility of the Demon/Dark Souls team working on a new IP due to a new studio taking over development of Dark Souls II. Judging from these ahead of schedule reveals and with how the wording on this list is, it sounds like this person has a small bit of inside knowledge within the industry due to whatever reasons. However, I would also like to note that he HAS been wrong before so please take what I have to say with a grain of salt, just as I am even with proposing this idea.

I personally feel that while it may be vague I feel like there is a small chance that the title being referred to coming from Sega to PS4 is Shenmue...something, be it HD/HD Remakes or III. I feel this way because Sega hasn't really announced any new IP's in the last few years. Sega would have no trouble getting a new Sonic or Hatsune Miku game (even though they just publish those) so I doubt its either of them. The next biggest franchise after those two for Sega currently (aside from future Atlus titles) Is the Yakuza series. However I do not believe it is related to the Yakuza series because Yakuza 5 was just recently announced to be getting a western release, and as a result it was leaked that Yakuza Zero will be getting a western release as well. Yakuza Zero won't even be out until March in Japan so the odds of it being a new Yakuza title are quite low. With Sega's big money makers already set on their paths for at least 2-3 games if not more its fairly safe to say that Sega will either be resurrecting something old that's been dead for years or they've created something ENTIRELY new for a new IP (which I highly doubt because well...post DC era Sega SUCKS!). Now granted this title could be anything older really, I.e: Streets of Rage 4, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi....really anything if they want to make a ton of money for not too much work and investment on their behalf. But with all of the good news we've had this last year and Suzuki still seeking the funding on top of Sony really being the only company interested in Shenmue to at least a somewhat serious point, who knows perhaps its finally our time guys. I know the odds of this mysterious title being Shenmue related are pretty slim, but I would still like to hear what you guys think about this small finding.

Even if it turns out to be nothing I feel like 2014 was a VERY good year for us Shenmue fans and we made a very good showing this year. I look forward to seeing what 2015 holds for the future of Shenmue ^.^. I plan on making a couple of other big posts before the end of the month, one a small theory and the other regarding what we would all perhaps like to see within the future and where the series needs to go to become successful like it deserves.

Happy holidays to all :)
by KX-5
Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: First 4 Figures teases new Lan Di statue

Uggggh, I can't wait! I was starting to get concerned this was replaced by the statue of Beat from JSF since that was supposed to be the last figure in the Sega series., but I'm so glad they're doing this ^.^. I would love for the pose to be Lan Di with his hands behind his back and holding the Phoenix Mirror.
by KX-5
Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello Dojo,

this topic is there for us to name things that we just have noticed which we haven't before when playing Shenmue because as you know this game is so detailed that one can not see everything in just one playthrough.
What I have just noticed is for example that the moves' teachers say different things when you perform the techniques without all the instruction given. Something else I noticed is that in the credits Hong Xiu Ying's voice actor is named although Xiu Ying never actually appears in the first part(Or does she ?). Also, I never knew one could even join that motorcyclefanatics gang :D

What have you just recently noticed?

I think Xiuying's voice actor is listed in the first game because Xiuying shows up on the passport disc explaining one of the games systems, though I can't remember which one she talks about. I haven't used my passport disc in YEAAAARS >.>
by KX-5
Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic