Search found 564 matches

Return

Re: What are you most looking forward to?

Trying out the new control scheme.

I get along fine with the classic controls, but I'm interested in seeing what they've done.
by Spaghetti
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue III gets provisional PEGI rating

As per Gameblog's Romain, who noticed Shenmue III also now had a retail listing on Amazon FR; https://twitter.com/RomainMahut/status/988419535014367233

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dbetx48WAAI_7FG.jpg

Pretty sure the white on black placeholder cover has appeared before, but what appears to be new is the provisional PEGI rating.

In order to get a provisional rating, the publisher has to pay a fee, fill out a questionnaire about the game's content, and allow PEGI to play a portion of the game and review video sequences. From what I can gather, this happens when the publisher is moving forwards with the retail process (pre-orders, etc) and looking to get games certified by platform holders.

Not that it means a whole lot, but I've gone back through a few games Deep Silver have distributed and saw they had a provisional rating within 6-8 months of release.

Safe to say the wheels are turning in the background, though.
by Spaghetti
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III gets provisional PEGI rating

Fingers crossed!

That said, with Shenmue I & II coming by the end of the year, I would be more than okay with a reasonable delay in order for Yu San to polish Shenmue 3.
by Kiske
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD in magazines

I'm not really sure I get what the writer of that article is trying to say with that example.

Is he suggesting doing away with the detective game elements and open-ended quests? I'm not sure it'd actually be Shenmue without it, and it'd be a fucking travesty if it was replaced with mini-map "run to marker, then run to other marker, then maybe have a fight" quest design. You'd miss out on so much world building through the incidental dialogue that comes with investigating, not to mention never really learning or paying attention to the game world layout.

Take asking in one of the Lucky Charm quarter electronic shops about the Heavens in II. The owner will get the wrong end of the stick and think Ryo is a gang member looking for protection money, and threatens to get Xiuying. Suddenly the reason why the Heavens stick to Aberdeen becomes obvious; they want to steer clear of the martial artists in Wan Chai. It's easy to miss, but the fact it's there is incredible. Shenmue rewards the player for being curious with these little bits and pieces about the world, the story, and the characters.

The way it ends makes me think they're asking for Yakuza with a Shenmue skin, and with no disrespect intended to that series which is great for its own reasons, but I cannot think of anything worse for Shenmue III.

It's a really reductive argument, and ignores a lot of what else builds up Shenmue as a whole, and that (surprise) people can still enjoy Shenmue as-is in 2018.
by Spaghetti
Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not the biggest article that I was expecting, but there's a smallish blurb in the latest issue of the Official Playstation UK Magazine -

https://i.imgur.com/sEI1Tnp.jpg

Full Page:
https://i.imgur.com/LvtwTX4.jpg

Full Spread:
https://i.imgur.com/rJNRpyy.jpg
by James Brown
Fri May 04, 2018 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Saw this posted on Twitter:

So if you're looking for a game that's either a masterpiece or a mess, PC Gamer's cutting insight has you covered.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Mon May 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Backer Demo -- Hypothetical

If there is still going to be a trial version of the game I like the idea of doing what they did with Shenmue 1, where it had no bearing on the actual story, or spoilt the game, just a completely separate entity to familiarize with controls, style of the game. I guess if it is like What's Shenmue...they could be a potential "spoiler" in terms of seeing a location already, or a QTE where someone like "Jimmy" is changed to "Yukawa", but on the surface, i'd actually be happy to play that, especially if it helps with "testing" or fan feedback.
by James Brown
Sun May 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No Time Skip In Shenmue I

I wouldn't have minded a time skip in the original just to make replays a little quicker, but to be honest if first time players can't find something to do or somewhere to explore in that downtime, the series probably isn't for them.

Even in II where we do have the time skip feature, if a player decides to absolutely not engage in any of the side activities or learn the game world layout; they're getting a lesser experience as a result and that's completely on them.

"If you can't handle me at my looking for sailors, you don't deserve me at my Yellow Head building" - so goes the worst/best meme.
by Spaghetti
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #81 - Shenmue 3 delayed until 2019

I'm pretty glad how the community has handled this without much fuss.

Seems most of the saltiness is coming from game journos and games forum/Twitter posters looking to be a bit edgy.
by Spaghetti
Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

First you complain that the game doesn't look good enough for you, then you complain that they're taking more time to improve it.

Absolutely impossible to please. You cannot have it both ways.
by Jibby
Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Never expected it to release this year, at this point it felt like an antiquated target date that was obviously not going to be met. Better to get the announcement out of the way now so we can rejoice to an HD release date sooner than later. HD this year, S3 next year. It's a perfect scenario. S3 deserves all the polish and development it can get.
by Yama
Wed May 16, 2018 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue 3 images from THQ Nordic financial presentat

Sorry for the double post but:

https://i.imgur.com/Ii4ygCX.jpg

I love how this looks so much. So many details in this one shot, on both the environments and the characters.

The Guilin mountains in the background, the basket drying on the roof, the wing chun dummy, all the statues outside the house, the foliage, the drying rack, the electricity wires hanging slackly from the pole (which has gone askew thanks to subsidence in the ground), the little girl playing in the dirt, the old man doing martial arts warm ups (and check out his patchwork clothes, including a hole in his shoe!), the treads on Ryo's shoes...

This is Shenmue. 110%.
by Spaghetti
Thu May 17, 2018 8:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED: Shenmue 1 & 2 will launch 21/8/18!

After 24 hours of conflicting rumors, Sega Europe confirmed on Twitter that Shenmue 1 & 2 HD will be released on PC, PS4 and Xbox One on August 21st!

https://i.imgur.com/IHj8Nto.png

The digital version is now available for pre-order from the relevant stores based on your region.

https://i.imgur.com/BYO0sqh.png
https://i.imgur.com/xNvd3hn.png
[img]blob:https://imgur.com/26f15150-85a9-439b-a733-3e8764f5c354[/img]

You can watch the trailer below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_2D4GsWME

Sega have also released an updated FAQ:

Sega have released an updated FAQ:

Which version of Shenmue II did we port?
For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional features missing from the Dreamcast version:

Snapshots system
Filters
Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing
As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.

What features have we added?
As well as the herculean effort of porting the code to the new platforms, there is a huge number of things we have added:

Choice of Japanese or English speech in both games
Saves can be carried over from Shenmue into Shenmue II on all platforms
Saving anywhere in both games
HD resolution rendering
Updated UI
New post processing effects for both games
Full controller support and configurable mouse and keyboard for PC users
Full Achievement support for both games on all platforms

What does Modern control scheme mean?
Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users.

Will the games run at 60Hz?
Throughout the engine, game code and scripts there are hard coded assumptions about a fixed 30Hz frame update rate, so the game needs to run at 30Hz.

Is the game 4:3 or widescreen?
Gameplay where the player can control the camera is 16:9.

Cutscenes are letterboxed in their original formats.

Can the emulated arcade games be played?
We are pleased to announce that all the arcade games in the original are fully playable in the new release!

Who do we have to thank for this incredible work?
The amazing team at d3t.

Thank you to Sega and the community for helping with all of this. ;-)
by Peter
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Adam Koralik explains the re-releases (4:3, audio etc)

Answers to the questions we have had for a while now are answered as in depth as Adam can explain, including why the cutscenes are in 4:3, what type of audio is being used, which builds of the game are being used and more. Check it out in the video below, and keep the negativity to a minimum please. Bear in mind these games, along with Shenmue 3 were regarded as a sheer miracle a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnc1PfTZM0
by Peter
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

Im more concerned about the animation thats going to be applied to these graphics. From what they've shown, they've proven they don't understand animation basics.

Oh, really? What do you think is more likely... that the professionals working on Shenmue III somehow have landed this job without understanding animation basics? Or that a consumer who has been shown work-in-progress footage doesn't understand what they're seeing in regards to the overall game development schedule?
by Centrale
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone disappointed with Shenmue 3 cartoon-like graphics

Yu doesn't even play other games, for the precise reason that he doesn't want to be influenced by them and start following trends. While that may mean he has to reinvent the wheel on occasion, it at least ensures that everything we see is a "Suzuki solution" to whatever design challenge the game poses.
by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue HD Thoughts

D3T is a capable outfit filled with professionals.
The problems/ shortcomings that are mentioned in various threads have nothing to do with them as a team, or their work ethic.

Let’s face it: everything comes down to the budget.
Sega most likely did not “break the bank” for these HD ports/remasters. Had they added another zero on their check, then we could have gotten 16:9 cutscenes/ 4K gameplay/ online forklift racing/ What’s Shenmue/ Passport features/ updated textures/ etc.

So, let’s not be too harsh. It’s a discounted collection that you can get in the US for about $25. Besides, they could always make further improvements to the collection via future patches.

The good news: the game is selling well beyond expectations, which will undoubtedly have a positive effect on the franchise in the future.
by punkmanced
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Dojo Streams Return! - Thursday 26th July 9PM BST

https://i.imgur.com/y5zyDMp.jpg

The Shenmue Dojo streams are back! For fans and viewers of the Shenmue Lounge, it's Peter that will be firing up his Dreamcast for one last ride with the original Shenmue before Shenmue I & II hit modern systems!

Tune in weekly - Thursday 26th July @ 9pm BST / 1pm PT / 4pm ET / 5am Japan :)

You can catch the stream on your platform of choice -

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2hLEfFt
YouTube: https://bit.ly/2KkVPuP

See you on Thursday! :king:
by James Brown
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Streams Return! - Thursday 19th July 9PM BS

Really incredible stream tonight! Boggles the mind that SEGA popped their head in for a bit to say hello; love the fact that they've been so active with the community lately. Fingers crossed they come back again soon!

Can't wait for next week!
by Jibby
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dojo Streams Return! - Thursday 19th July 9PM BS

Unbelievable. I can't believe Sega were in chat. My jaw is still on the floor. Fair play to them, they really are reaching out. Sega in the Shenmue Dojo stream. That's insane to me. Inspires me more to get this new site out ASAP!!
by Peter
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 time skip?

Honestly I wish Shenmue 2 never had time skip, theres so much more to do and see than the first game.

I agree. But I disagree with it being needed in the first game too.
Personally I could never understand someone wanting to willingly progress things forward. A lot of the charm was in moving at the pace of the world around you. Shenmue rewards with patience. It's almost like the game is teaching the player the same thing that Ryo is having to learn.

couldn't agree more. You truly needed kung fu to master the harder fights and CQTEs. Literally serene as a polished mirror to stay meditative in my breathing and concentration for CQTE and later QTE. Even for Excite arcade game haha (amongst other examples cannot think of off top of mind for the moment).
by xatruio
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

Hello Backers!

With the combined Kickstarter and Slacker Backer campaigns, we have reached the $7M stretch goal! Having reached this goal, the Battle System Expanded: AI Battling will be included! Thank you so much for your support!!  

Battle System Expanded: AI Battling    

This control system lets you automatically unleash the perfect technique in response to the opponent's positioning and distance. R&D for this system is based on Yu Suzuki's concept for players who are not used to fighting games or for those who want a full immersion battle experience. This battle system is highly compatible with, and will be an extension to the current battle system.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/021/987/714/72ca8373a797ad46bd2a4a87a6529b12_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1532329681&auto=format&q=92&s=d118ecd2b624e0a620ca15f7e5d8eddc         

The Slacker Backer and Fangamer upgrade & add-on campaigns are still underway, so don't miss out!        

And please make sure to get your survey in! Thank you!!

Add-on & Upgrade Announcement

The Toy Capsule Box Set is now available through Fangamer! Get the Ryo, Shenhua, Chai and Forklift set as either an add-on or upgrade. Alright! Have some more fun!

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/021/958/714/09bac5285162339db42863e34bbcd8ca_original.png?w=639&fit=max&v=1532050438&auto=format&lossless=true&s=34056e97970d29a097208c4f6328d7aa

Survey FAQ

We have received many inquiries concerning the survey for the following which we would like to address here.

*Please note that policies and implementation may change without notice depending on applicable quantities and content.     

Name Credit Input

There are three fields in which to input your name for name credit rewards. The first is English only and is required. The second and third are optional and accept other languages.

If you choose to enter your name in the second or third field in a language other than English, these optional names will take precedent.

*This will not apply if there would be a systems conflict or if deemed to be against public decency.

Concerning Pictures, Images and Text

Below is the list of prohibited content for survey responses. Should the dev team deem that survey responses contain prohibited content, or if responses are unfit for development or sales of the game, content may be edited or deleted.

*For example, offending text will be replaced with asterisks (***). Offending parts of images will be edited or deleted, or in some cases the content will not be displayed in the game.

· Content that infringes upon copyrights, trademarks or other rights

· Content that engages in slander, discrimination, or violations of human rights

· Content that is contrary to public decency

· Content where religious or political activities are included

· Content containing personal information

Game development will move forward based on your responses to go out to fans all around the world. We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

PC & PS4 Physical Version Disc Data

We would like to address the many inquiries concerning the physical version disc data. Development is moving forward to have all necessary data to play the game contained on the disc. Please rest assured that the disc will not be just a prompt for an internet download.

*An internet connection is a planned requirement for the purposes of game updates and reward activation.

That's the breaking news! The team would again like to thank you all for your wonderful support! See you next update!

---------- General Information ----------

Shenmue 3 Backer Survey

Backer surveys are now underway. For information on your survey, please see the email sent to you by Fangamer. Shenmue 3 can only be completed with your responses! Thank you for your cooperation!!

Please complete or make any necessary changes to your survey by these dates.

・August 13 (MON) 2018: Last day of Slacker Backer campaign, reward upgrades and add-ons

・September 30 (SUN) 2018: Surveys close

Choosing the PS4 or PC platform

We have a few notes to consider when choosing your platform. Also, if there would be any major changes in the requirements for either the PC or PS4 versions, the platform selection question of the survey is scheduled to remain open.

Choosing your PS4 region

Your PS4 region will be decided with your "Country" selection. Please note, if the disc region differs from PS4 system region, the unit itself, PlayStation™Network online services or DLC may not function properly.

System Requirements for PC Version

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)

DirectX: Version 11

Network: Broadband internet connection

Storage: 100 GB available space

Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.

*Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding.

Fangamer and Third Party Use of Personal Information

YS NET has a written contract with Fangamer to carry out the backer surveys. Fangamer is a formal representative of YS NET to help process and fulfill all backer's orders through the surveys. Personal information is handed over and treated in accordance with the privacy policies of both companies for the purposes of conducting the surveys and reward delivery only. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

YS NET Privacy Policy
Fangamer Privacy Policy

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2241883

Looks beautiful!!!
by FlagshipFighter
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Peter
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by Yama
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Jump to topic