Search found 564 matches

Return

I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I have a save specifically for when I want to replay it because I consider it one of gamings biggest milestones and achievements.

Before, it always made me sad, but last night I did it for the first time with the knowledge we are getting Shenmue III, and it made me really, really happy. I was happy seeing all of these questions and stuff that I may actually get answers to. Shenhua talks about water buffalo, and life in Bailu, and the old lady who taught her how to sew, all this stuff that's hinted in 3 you think you'll never see ever. And we're fucking getting it. We're actually going to get it! \:D/ Every time I played this section of the game I had a sense of melancholy, but for the first time I could sit back and enjoy it in full without pressure that I will never get answers to my questions.

I highly suggest everyone else do the same. What an amazing experience! =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS upda

I made this thread a full 10 minutes before you and you still got more replies :-({|= =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki makes statement on funding & budget on KS update

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1273833

There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/036/218/c7ba6548e283e00f70eb46302562a5b6_original.png?v=1435149812&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=5013791507492c7e4d4ae08881bd63cf

Sounds like the clarification many have been asking for since the Kickstarter opened and all of the other funding sources started talking. Maybe this will shut up some of the negative press. What do you think?
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki Makes Statement on Kickstarter Funding/Budget

http://i.imgur.com/CcArwc4.png

Yu Suzuki has made an official statement on the funding and budget of Shenmue III through Kickstarter. He addresses the outside funding the game will receive through Sony and Shibuya Productions, as well as exactly where the Kickstarter money will be going. Reiterated in this statement are his ambitions to reach $5 million for the character perspective system, as well as the overall $10 million goal.

Links: Statement | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | News Archive
by Supa
Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Corey Marshall called out Conan o'Brien

Done
But why Conan?
Because he has gaming segments on his tv show

I do not watch Conan or really any talk show, but why did he decide to get into gaming? Seems kind of odd. I guess he wanted to connect with his younger audience and be hip?

It's a joke. He's a comedian, that's what he does.

Is this really the kind of person we want promoting Shenmue then? :-s

Umm yes, absolutely. Why don't you watch one of his segments and see what it's about.
by TwiceFriedRice
Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cannot believe some of the people in this community. . .

No excuse for anyone not pledging due to no PS4 physical being announced at this time, agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by Yama
Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "classic" old school mode?

The black loading screen with white text has too come back. I wouldn't mind if it didn't take as long as in the first two games to load but the loading screen is one of the things I associate with the series.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Saying Goodbye to Joy?

Wasn't her father a mayor of Hong Kong or something? I'm sure I read that somewhere but I have no idea if it's true.
The fact mostly every small fry or petty crook seems in some way intimidated by her (like the Poison Brothers, or the photographer in Fortune's Pier), I always assumed she was connected to a higher authority. That or not everyone's idea of fun in the sack is the same as Joy's :twisted:

Her father was a major businessman who also did work for Five Stars Corp. and probably Chen's Trades too.
-
-
-
As for saying goodbye, Ive looked into it before and there are no "Goodbye" lines but you can find her to speak to her.
by shengoro86
Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ren's Greatest Moments

^And Ren kicks him pretty hard and Dou Niu just laughs at them both. Haha.
by Henry Spencer
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you think Ryo will actually kill Lan Di?

I don't even think Ryo is going to be strong enough to defeat Lan Di when their initial confrontation happens (likely in SIII). He's getting more and more powerful in Kung Fu by the day, but he's still not even close to matching Lan Di. That dude owned Iwao, a renowned martial arts master, without even trying. I think Ryo and Lan Di will face off more than once, with Lan Di besting him the first time.

I agree completely. Iwao couldn't even touch Lan Di, so the only character currently in Shenmue who would even stand somewhat of a chance is Xiuying, but even then there's no knowing for sure. Ryo will need either a lot more training or some kind of divine power (the Phoenix Mirror, Shenhua, the levitating sword?) if he's going to confront Lan Di.

Iwao could have put up a much better fight than he did. Shozo - the homeless chap who lives near the harbor cafeteria - teaches Ryo the Shadow Step move. Ryo finds out that Iwao knew this move and could have used it against Lan Di "that day", turning the battle in his favor. But Shozo responds, "No sense in fighting. A clean getaway is also victory."

I wonder if Iwao wasn't filled with guilt due to killing Zhao Sunming, and maybe letting himself be beaten by his son was his sort of redemption or making it right.
by TwiceFriedRice
Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Message From Lisle Wilkerson

http://i.imgur.com/2Z4zDWy.jpg

We've been communicating with Lisle Wilkerson over the announcement of Shenmue III and she's just as happy as all of us that it is going to become a reality. Below is a personal message from her to all of the fans.

“Hey Shenmue fans!!! It’s Lisle Wilkerson, the English voice actor for Xiuying Hong, Joy, and Yuan from Shenmue II.
Just wanted to say THANK YOU for all your undying support over the years! I have always loved running into Shenmue fans at the cons I go to around the world.

And I know that you guys have been waiting for Shenmue III for a VERY LONG TIME! So I am so very happy that you guys are finally getting it!!!

Hopefully we will be able to be a part of the Shenmue III game. : )

It is a VERY happy day! xoxo Lisle"
by Yama
Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Supa wrote: Oh come on, it's not THAT bad.

Yes it is.
by Gen
Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why I Think Shenmue 2x is better

Playing Shenmue in Japanese for the 1st time was like a veil being lifted from my eyes, and there is no way I will ever go back to that god-awful dub.

The Japanese version is a lot more immersive and realistic, in big part because of how the cultures of Yokosuka are represented. I love how all the foreigners talk with the accents of their home countries. This aspect was completely lost in the dub and a lot of the realism was lost. Also, saying that "Shenmue isn't realistic because it has magic" is kind of a stupid thing to bring up, because that has nothing to do with the type of realism that we're discussing in regards to the dub. It's like talking about oranges when we're discussing apples.

When it comes to Shenmue 2, of course, that realistic side isn't really present, since the game is in Japanese, but takes place in China. Still, if you think that the English dub is anywhere NEAR on the same level as the original, you are severely kidding yourself. (Ren sounds like a p*ssy and even Ryo sounds more bored than he did in S1).
I mean, there's nothing wrong with liking the dub, but I'm just being real here.
by Three Blades
Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FIX THE KICKSTARTER!!! Awesome Japan/Suzuki/Shibuya

He's right that they need to stop saying "I'm thinking about it". There's a lot of stuff you can stop thinking about and just fucking DO it. Setting up a paypal account isn't something you should be thinking about. They said last week they were "thinking" about that.
Well? Where is it? It takes minutes to sign up. Where's the account? You were thinking about it last week.
There's no excuse. Just DO it. Now!
by Three Blades
Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $30 on the 3rd - PLAN OF ATTACK

11 AM my time tomorrow? I'm in! I'll bump up from the collector's edition to the signed collector's edition, in addition to loaning my friend $60 so he can back PC physical.

That's me tapped out until the next month, so here's hoping they add PayPal. (I have no doubt they will.)

I pray this has the cumulative impact it has the potential to!
by Anonymous81
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KS Update #22: Changing the Game - Hiroaki Takeuchi

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1283095

Hello Everyone!

Yu Suzuki’s power of imagination, and the genius to bring it all together, has manifested itself time and again with every work of art he has produced. His vision for the future of entertainment-- the concept that was Shenmue--was to fuse movies, video games, and digital and analog media of all stripes, in order to create a world where you could truly become someone else and live that life. That vision undeniably lives on in the hearts and souls of so many games that came after it.

Hiroaki Takeuchi believes we will see the same visionary greatness from Yu Suzuki this time around with Shenmue 3.

Hiroaki Takeuchi, the renowned animation pioneer and digital content authority, will be teaming up with Yu Suzuki again as Animation Producer for Shenmue 3. His work on the original Shenmue as an animation adviser helped Yu Suzuki realize that vision to merge animation and cinematics together with video games.

What makes Shenmue so important? How has Yu Suzuki impacted the future of entertainment? He answers these questions like no one else can, so please welcome Hiroaki Takeuchi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgIS_lX9Mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRa2qyU8pA

Hiroaki Takeuchi has worked as a producer or executive producer on a host of innovative games and films including Virtua Fighther, The Animatrix, TEKKON KINKREET, and Kakurenbo, not to mention his many contributions to the digital content industry. Please check out his website for a complete list of his work and extensive resume at TaKe-Y Inc.

#SaveShenmue Tweetathon on the 3rd

The #SaveShenmue Tweetathon, is almost upon us, so please send a Tweet with the hashtag #SaveShenmue to show your support for Shenmue 3 on the 3rd. If you do not have a Twitter account, there is no better time to sign up than now. Show the world what Shenmue means to you!

And, you can still get your questions to Yu Suzuki by Tweeting to him using the hashtag #YouaskYu He will start Tweeting back around 7:00PM PDT on the 3rd.

There is news on the way, so keep that umbrella handy.
by Ziming
Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KS Update #21: To the Sea and the Continent Beyond

Hello Everyone!

The power of Shenmue’s music was undoubtedly one of the big reasons that made the Shenmue series such a memorable experience. One of men responsible for this great achievement, is Ryuji Iuchi.

The composer of "Shenhua's Theme," Iuchi-san's songs have pulled at our heart strings and actually put us there, in the world of Shenmue. And now he is back for Shenmue 3 to help take us into that world once again.

Let’s give a big standing ovation for Ryuji Iuchi:

https://youtu.be/GK2UtawnJnM
English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDWWD7FGO7M
Japanese with French and English subtitles

Thank you for all of the memories, Iuchi-san! We look forward to all of the new songs, and the memories we will make with them in Shenmue 3.

To get a further listen of Ryuji Iuchi’s body of work, please visit his website at http://www.ryujiiuchi.com While most of the site is in Japanese, samples of his music are here at this link , so please have a listen!

#SaveShenmue Tweetathon on Twitter

Don’t forget that the 3rd of the month is the #SaveShenmue Tweetathon, so please send a Tweet with the hashtag #SaveShenmue to show your support for Shenmue 3.

You can still get your questions to Yu Suzuki by Tweeting to him using the hashtag #YouaskYu

Magic Weather Warning: There will be a storm of updates on the way, so bring your umbrella with you tomorrow!
by Technophilz
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big Update coming in the next 10 hours. Before ~8PM GMT.

Shenmue 1 and 2, double feature PS4 disc release, with dual audio for each!
That's what I would like to see :D
by Three Blades
Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big Update coming in the next 10 hours. Before ~8PM GMT.

Let's hope it's one of the two or even both. Would be a great day then. The greatest since the announcement.
by BlueMue
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

200% funded :)

Shenmue III has smashed crowdfunding records only halfway through. Right now, it is the 11th most funded project on Kickstarter- the 3rd (Soon to be 2nd) most funded video game.

As a model, Kickstarter technically never guaranteed Shenmue III funding. I know we all dream of the 11 million experience and stretch goals to get the game, but today I wanted to take stock of our success, because I think going over 200% of the initial asking amount is a milestone worth celebrating.

:rainbowafro: :bday: :smilecolros: :beerchug: \:D/
by NeoShredder
Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. Slow news day.

Even fellow Kotaku editors be like "What the hell...?"

Image courtesy of Ryo Hazuki from Neogaf:

by ConanTheKing
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. Slow news day.

Even fellow Kotaku editors be like "What the hell...?"

Image courtesy of Ryo Hazuki from Neogaf:

http://i.imgur.com/pEaarMo.png

Yeah. Jason has an account at GAF too and has responded in there.

http://i.imgur.com/hDxOnKp.png

http://i.imgur.com/MA2A7GB.png
by Uncle_Raj
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. SOMEONE GIVE GAF THESE LINKS

It should be emphasized that Shenmue fans have the moral high ground in this debate, and nobody should sacrifice it by personally insulting this guy or being mean to him. This low quality journalism probably already has him in hot water.

The focus should be on being positive, being truthful, and helping foster fairer and more upbeat coverage in the future.
by Erevador
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!

Crying.... yep. Just like i was when Shenmue 3 was announced.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Shenmue%203%20dinner_zpsnssnyjmg.png

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-07-03-17-11-23_zpsfisfrbbt.png

I'M GOING TO MEET YU SUZUKI IN MONACO!! FUCK!!
by Peter
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NeoGAF Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Topic revamped

I helped clean up the OP at the NeoGAF Kickstarter topic. It's much more simple and concise now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063771

by Ziming
Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eurogamer - What Makes Shenmue's Open World So Special?

Lovely article, it's nice to see one about Shenmue on a gaming site that's actually well-informed, and also sums up why it's different from othet open-world games. But yeah, the comment about S2's size is a bit unfair, I remember being blown away by just how big Wan Chai was, at the time. While it arguably didn't have the depth and some detail of Yokosuka, it was still pretty damn big.
by Miles Prower
Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Serious proposal: #30to3point6 - 1/10th of backers donat

If they do open PayPal we can just keep the $30 on the 3rd going along with #saveshenmue. I think throwing too many numbers at people will confuse them. I've got the 30onthe3rd.com hosted on the same host as another of my sites so I can keep that live for as long as we need.
by elfshadowreaper
Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: V.E.T School Owners In Guilin Pledge $20,000 To Kickstar

Just made this tweet, not sure whether retweet or lots of separate tweets are more beneficial, but here is a link either way

https://twitter.com/RiGoRmOrTiS_UK/stat ... 4791351296
by RiGoRmOrTiS
Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue

http://i.imgur.com/zFOlFS6.jpg

A new teaser trailer for the upcoming Shenmue documentary was released today. A film by Adam Sipione and Definitive Films. Please share this video everywhere!

Links & Hashtags: #SaveShenmue #10milliontoShenmue3
Shenmue Documentary Trailer | Fauxpop Media | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter
by Ziming
Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler Shenmu

you've got all the underlying aspects like the prophecies of the mirror opening a gateway for chi you which Chen explained to Ryo- that would be pretty out there! But then Zhu showed Ryo the mirrors made a map to treasure of sorts...

I think combat wise it'll stay pretty grounded- enhanced with some Ki (sp?) moves courtesy of Shenhua.

Anything more likely cut scene/qte based and probably sparingly.
Yeah, I was going to say that we should have been expecting this ever since Chen's explanation of Chi You and what is meant to happen if the two mirrors are joined together...we've known that this is Lan Di's goal for a long time now. Though Zhu's explanation does seem to differ, yes...but again, it just confirmed that there is some 'magic' involved.

I really wouldn't worry about them going over the top with it. But for people to not realise that the story would eventually head this way does seem a bit naive, especially since the Chi You discussion is as early as the second disc of the first game!
by Miles Prower
Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eurogamer - What Makes Shenmue's Open World So Special?

The way Yu Suzuki created what felt like a real, living, breathing world is always what appealed to me. Since GTA3 happened, it seems like open world games have focused more and more on creating larger and larger worlds that act like playgrounds for the player to wonder from place to place to partake in missions and side quests, but nothing ever feels very realistic or detailed.

This, GTA to me feels empty and fake, Shenmue felt real.
I've not played the GTA series much, I did start GTA5 though and I have to agree, the world seems huge, but there isn't any soul to it, you know? No open world has really ever come close to Shenmue's IMO.
by Miles Prower
Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (Updated 03/07, PS4 Box, Lucky Hit)

New concept art for a hostel in Choubu. Is it just me or there's an overwhelming sense of nostalgia thinking of the Free Stay Lodge in Shenmue 2?

by sand4fish
Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: V.E.T School Owners In Guilin Pledge $20,000 To Kickstar

Forgot to thank you for this Sonoshee!

I really appreciate the help.
by wdrpgwd
Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Shenmue Saga - Huber Hype! (Game Trailers)

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

KS Update #30 - Interview with Manabu Takimoto

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1288827

Shenmue Salutations!

When Shenmue first came out, it was more real, more life-like than any game to have come before it. One of the people responsible for that feat was architect Manabu Takimoto. As the game environment designer for the Shenmue series, his real life experience as an architect helped create an immersive world that set the standard for realism in gaming.

Today, Manabu Takimoto talks about talks about his role(s) in Shenmue, and what we can expect from him this time around. Let's give him a big welcome!

English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqhtjMmkAu0

Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riBiQZfVwPo
by Peter
Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Shenmue I too SEGA?

...It's a Sega game. It's meant to be fan service, not 'in your face marketing'.
by Miles Prower
Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #TheFinalBlow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

i love the addition of the wude 'Yi - To act without hesitation, to do what is right'. it fits really well.

fantastic, well done sonoshee.
by johnvivant
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #TheFinalBlow - LAST CHANCE FOR SHENMUE 3

Awesome post. Let's give it our all guys.
by ShenSun
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank Yu (Video by Mathew Rimmer)

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview on Nico Nico Douga

phpBB [video]
by Technophilz
Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Concept Art Thread (Updated 12/07, Mid-June Famitsu Scan

Attached to a tweet from Yu Suzuki thanking people for watching the NicoNico interview.

So the guy who appeared in the trailer with Yu Suzuki appears again!
by Switch
Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Played Shenmue 2 again. Lucky hit is still a life ruiner

This is why you save the game before you gamble ;-)
by Miles Prower
Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LanDC/Kiyuu...

LanDC's more active on the 500k Facebook page than here, and Kiyuu's always about, lurking in the shadows. She only seems to post when someone's asking a Japanese-related question. Responses are usually pretty swift n'all.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LanDC/Kiyuu...

More or less as Mitts said. Been talking with Lan the man on Facebook. He's a good guy, and looking forward to hitting Japan to meet Yu. Wish I was going with them all, I'd say we would have a few beers and god knows where we would end up. He knows :lol:
by Peter
Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic