Search found 396 matches

Return

Re: Using fans as voice actors in Shenmue 3

It's a nice idea and someone I know also talked about this and would like this.

Just some things that I thought of (not shooting down the idea) having worked with sound, from recording to mixing and mastering. For the English dub, fans would likely have to travel to a studio in USA or Canada where a lot of voice work is done. Using different studios close to people could result in different sounding recordings due to the equipment being used, recording technique etc. This sounds weird in game and I've noticed this in a few titles. Even with communication, the sound engineers might not always be able to replicate results from other places.
Having the director at one place is also better to guide everyone.

For the other games Yu made people fly to Japan instead so he could follow the process closely. The cost of this, and the directing got criticized though: http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40831

What happens though when they don't like the performance? Or a foreign accent which clashes with the native English voice cast? Quite difficult situation, especially when the fan has paid for it. Just using the voice as background murmur seems anticlimactic.
by ys
Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Created some hi-res Shenmue logo PNGs for general use.

Hey, I was going to do some fan-graphic design but couldn't find any high res PNGs on a quick Google search. I probably didn't look very hard though tbh. So if there are already tons of similar logos out there, then fair enough, never mind. :)

Either way, I ended up making my own. They're not perfect but if you scale them down to normal web-sizes they should look ok.

I'm posting them here so people can be free to use a high-res logo however they wish. In youtube banners, twitch overlays, facebook, twitter etc.

LOGO (black)
http://i.imgur.com/ImGDXLA.png

LOGO (white)
http://i.imgur.com/g5cPg6s.png

LOGO (phoenix)
NEW*
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/shenmuephoenix.png

LOGO (dragon)
NEW*
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/shenmuedragon.png

LOGO (Japanese)
http://i.imgur.com/EoxP0Cu.png

ART (Tiger on Ryo's Jacket)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/ryojacket2.png

And here's a fanart boxart I did for good measure showing all graphics together. Shows how they look scaled down.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/shenmueboxart3.png

Edit: If anyone is looking for something specific let me know in the replies. Like if you want a twitch banner at A x B dimensions with image C and the logo in the middle etc.

EG: http://i.imgur.com/K4XdXV1.jpg
BLANK: http://i.imgur.com/pUeeodF.jpg

Edit2: As a bonus, here's a high res box art of Sonic 3 (Japanese version)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5333907/sonicposter.jpg

I made this as a christmas present for a friend, and there's lots of sega fans here so I suppose I'll include it here. Feel free to use it, or get a print of it etc. if you so wish.
by ash55
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spread this Escapist article - Understanding Sony's Role

Post it on reddit, facebook, twitter, share it on forums. We need to kill this misinformation.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Shenmue-3
by Himuro
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vote Shenmue as the most anticipated game

http://www.favslist.com/MostAnticipatedGames

1) Register
2) Make Shenmue 3 number one
3) Fill all the rest of your list because more you add games on your list, more your higher game gets points.

-----
Jun 21, 2015
Two days ago, it was at #36. Today it has reached the top 10. Keep it up to give Shenmue 3 the maximum publicity!

Do the same with any community gaming site you belong if it is possible.
by Yokosuka
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Posted in another thread but will repeat here: have posted that Escapist article to reddit, please upvote so more people see it!:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... shenmue_3/
by Amir
Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: shenmue is also for kids !!

haha that was me 15+ years ago... glad to see the tradition still alive.
by EverybodyLovesRen
Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo looking chubby

Spot the difference?

I found none.

Look at those chubby cheeks!...the brown hair, the worn jacket and not so pastey complexion and the face plaster which is actually visible and has been worn also. The adhesive on that thing is amazing.

For a guy who eats nothing he's looks a bit porky on the face!

Must be that 15 years worth of jet cola catching up with him

Anyway that was just my attempt at making him look more like the original.

SHENMUE 3'S BEING MADE! FUK-YEAAA
by Asmordeus
Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: why i need to help shenmue 3

I find some of his answers pretty exciting and ambitious.

"Well, things are really just getting started. I’m always looking to try new challenges , and so in order to take on as many of these as possible, the more budget we can collect the better."

"How much money will be raised is becoming increasingly of interest.

YS: Yes. It’s not that we will not be implementing an open world, but doing so lavishly will cause the budget to shoot up. On the other hand, since I am a creator, I’d like to try new mechanisms. I have set stretch goals with that balance in mind."

"I will say this: if we reach the $5 mil mark, one of the things I really want to do with Shenmue 3 will become a reality.
At $10 million, it will truly have the features of an open world."

They are new systems, so naturally they need new names. The Rapport System will govern changes in Shenhua's actions depending on your conversations with or actions towards her. The "Character Perspective System" will highlight different characters personalities as they go through the story."

If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them.

He does not want only make Shenmue 3 but a great and innovative videogame that stands out from the concurrence.
by Yokosuka
Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: shenmue is also for kids !!

Shame on dad for not knowing this scene. But to be fair: It took me 8 or ten years to discover it. Felt awesome when I finally found it, because I had always wanted to slap those two broads.

Yeah, I was surprised to find it after so long. I enjoyed discovering all of the hidden scenes/pathing myself instead of using a guide. There's still stuff I discover even now.

That scene is rare? I got that on my first playthrough.

Well, I didn't. It is rare if you don't follow very specific path. I'm sure you didn't see everything on your first playthrough either.
by Henry Spencer
Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How Do You Feel About Shenmue III Becoming More Spiritua

phpBB [video]

This vid describes the series nicely. Describes the wuxia tropes within shenmue. Its.actually a very good.analysis
by 7heavens
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has new stretch goals

If paypal doesn't become an option we should seriously rally/campaign or whatever the fuck in order to make it happen. It will literally be a "let us give you money" campaign -- which is hilarious to me. I could manage to give X amount of money every month, I'm sure many others could as well.
by Thief
Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can you imagine the feeling when...

Me while playing the game.
by Sonne2
Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Has anyone else quit gaming?

Gaming quit me. Now she's come crawling back on all fours, begging for money.
by KiBa
Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shu Yoshida clarifies "Are they or arn't they funding?"

. If Suzuki's Kickstarter is successful [and very quickly after our conversation it was], SCEA will add funding and other support."

This sort of adds credence to the "the Kicksarter is to gage interest" theory, doesn't it? The question is how much funding.
by KidMarine
Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How Do You Feel About Shenmue III Becoming More Spiritua

shredingskin wrote: DO someone know what's Suzuki religion ?

Ferrari
by killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has new stretch goals

Progress is slow now. The issue is marketing and visibility. I guarantee there are Shenmue fans that still have no idea this is even happening. Those who didn't watch E3 on a stream, check gaming news regularly, etc. This Kickstarter needs to get as much publicity to the mainstream as possible.

Dojo staff are currently working on this. There are many former members of the Dojo who have not even logged in. We will be updating said members who hopefully still use the same email addresses they signed up with. Yama and Sean are currently organising this.
by Henry Spencer
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

So the lack of Shenmue made everyone gay.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 4gamer interview touching the character perspective syst

Seriously, have a look at this. Real integrity. The man doesn't want to promise too much so backers wouldn't feel betrayed. Compare this to certain huge titles getting released with features missing, downgrades,... Usually with excuses afterwards that it "was just a goal that they strived for during development".

Great interview. I'm glad that he decided not to condense it all in one game. And I likely got the right impression of him since the Shenmue Online days. He never seemed really into it which one of his remarks seems to confirm.

Doesn't the part about the "smell of the graphics" seen sort of pretentious? Or is this some sort of Japanese thing Im not getting?
Not to me and I understand what he means. Maybe it's because I've worked with music? Some of us can describe the sound of an album as colors. Or as dry and wet. One album that I mastered could be described as dark brown and dry, another blue and wet, someone else described a guitar sounding as sulphur etc. I don't think that the intention was to be pretentious. Common language just isn't adequate to describe these things so extra metaphors can help a bit.
by ys
Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your Reaction To The News of SIII Announcement?

I was up from the start of the Sony conference until the announcement of it. I had read a few articles saying that S3 would be finally shown but like everyone else, I assumed people were just trolling. The picture of the forklift posted by Yu didn't really do much for me either.

I was losing faith by the time it was announced, especially since we were shown some small Indie games just before.
But.. as soon as that music started, I just kind of sat there gobsmacked. I didn't really take it all in, I had to rewatch the announcement a few times before I realized it was really happening. I was just completely overwhelmed. It really did feel as though I needed to pinch myself.

Joy turned to panic when I realized it was going to be funded through Kickstarter - what, no straight funding by Sony or any other big publisher? Damn it! So my first determination was to go and make a pledge - which I did by clicking straight off the Youtube stream and straight onto KS; donating a mere $300. I have upped it to $630 since then and hope to keep doing so before it ends.

My initial reaction to the announcement? As you could probably tell, completely stunned. I never seriously thought we'd see the day come. And now every day since I've been smiling to myself, knowing we'll finally get continuance and hopefully, closure.
by Sonoshee
Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Potential huge donor please read.

Best thing you can do is ask her for a donation that's big enough for the campaign, but a drop in the bucket for her.

10k maybe?
by Shenhua-Nani?
Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your Reaction To The News of SIII Announcement?

Then I spent all morning (and all lunch time and all after work) annoying her by going on and on about Shenmue 3 and how it's the greatest day of my life (second only to our wedding day) :P

Good for you you didn't forget about the second part of the best day remark. :D

Actually, I'm sorry to say she had to give me a very grumpy face and correct me on that :lol:
by Reprise
Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue II vs Shenmue III

I made a comparison video with the Shenmue III Kickstarter trailer and the original river crossing scene from Shenmue II side by side. The idea to this sprung up as soon as I saw the trailer the first time. Thought it would be interesting to look at the differences. They are of course pretty dramatic.

I had to adjust the scene from Shenmue II quite a bit to get the two to run together as well as possible. Two short scenes had to be slowed down to a crawl, please excuse the framerate there.

https://youtu.be/tAfBH-F1oxs

Wohoo, 1000 posts!
by BlueMue
Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

I'm actually quite comfortable with the prospect of a Shenmue 4.
Look at whats going on around us right now. We have TONS of fan support. The only way thats going to ever go away is if Shenmue 3 is a complete and utter bomb. And comon.. I dont think that will happen. We all have high expectations but we are all still in it till the end aren't we? I dont think Shenmue 3 is going to be so bad we denounce the series.

Look at Star Wars fans, they had to endure Episodes 1-3. Did that make them turn around and actively denounce the entire franchise? No it didnt. They were still fans and are now mostly more than happy with the upcoming Episode 7.

We would be no different. Even if Shenmue 3 is a bomb in the reviews, if we still want a Shenmue 4 then Yu Suzuki will give it to us. He's basically just told us not to worry, that he'll be making Shenmue 4 for us aswell.

Worst case: Shenmue 3 is horrible. He turns to Kickstarter again. He fixes whatever was wrong with S3. We fund it again at however little it takes.

Best case: Shenmue 3 is a complete success. Sony decides to this time completely fund and publish the game. We get an even better game.

Good case: Shenmue 3 turns out ok. Reviews are mixed or mild. Suzuki turns to Kickstarter again and we get an improved game based on where S3 needed work.

I love it the more I think about it. I think we all will in the end. I doubt the worst case will happen..and even if it did, we would still get the conclusion to the story regardless of how bad the gameplay or whatever might be.

Difference? Sega isnt falling apart ruining everything. They couldn't care less about what Suzuki does with Shenmue. They are making money off the rights usage regardless if the games are good or bad.
by Axm
Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Meet "Ryo" Masaya Matsukaze

He has been put on the ice shelf along with Ryo Hazuki for these past 14 years, as he doesn't seem to have aged at all.
by sand4fish
Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

I think it's important to not get hung up on the exact number of chapters. Suzuki seems to be going about Shenmue III (and future games) with the intent of making it as best he can without a condensed or expedited final product. Even if his original intent was 16 chapters (or 11 or whatever) that doesn't mean that 14 years later he still considers that to be the ideal number. We just need to continue to put our trust in Suzuki -- which, given recent interviews, seems to be well placed.
by Thief
Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III needs its first episodes in a remastered edi

You're not the first person to say this, but unfortunately that's down to Sega. Sega have nothing to do with Shenmue 3, other than giving the licence to Yu Suzuki.

This is the same Sega that now concentrate more on mobile games. The same Sega that would rather give us Sonic Boom 2 (aka the worst Sonic game ever, both in terms of sales and fan and critical response). The same sega that we're still waiting on to give Western audiences Yakuza 5. The same Sega that refuse to give the west Phantasy Star Nova or Online 2.
by Reprise
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter page possibly getting an overhaul or additio

:lol: dude the only thing I'd pay 10k from in this lifetime is to meet Yu San.
by Peter
Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who is this old man....

The drawing is actually much older then Shenmue Online. It was shown in the Project Berkley trailer, so it was amoung the firsts things ever shown from the game.

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_58.jpg

The guy you mean is called Tentei, and he's the fifth Chiyoumen guy, the boss above the four leaders.
This old man reminds me a lot of Master Zhoushan. He doesn't look nearly as aggressive but otherwise the looks match somewhat.

http://cdn.staticneo.com/w/shenmue/thumb/5/56/Zhoushan.jpg/300px-Zhoushan.jpg
by BlueMue
Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: This is the kind of article we need more of!

That’s because, adjusted for inflation, the first Shenmue cost around $70 to develop.

We should have no problem surpassing that with the Kickstarter funding.
by TwiceFriedRice
Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Somebody put up a Shenmue kickstarter banner on 4chan

Pretty awesome if you ask me. I think it's on a few more boards too.
by flip
Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #12 - Vote for your favourite charact

Yeah, but I'd rather not play through the game n suddenly find someone like Peter just chillin on a bench somewhere. That'd be the time I put the controller down n sink another six months of my life into Football Manager.

I'd make sure my in game character was wearing a Man United shirt just to really fuck you off.
by Peter
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Somebody put up a Shenmue kickstarter banner on 4chan

oh hi \:D/

thanks, I really wanted a screen grab of it !

I have paid for another 200k adserves for the duration of the campaign on /vg /vr and /jp

the stats for this separate campaign so far

Code: Select all
41,904 Impressions    153 Clicks    0.37% CTR

by wataro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Tweets New KS Tiers/Goals Coming Soon + First S3 Artw

A fan-art comic strip retweeted by Yu.

1. Ryo, Let me take a picture of you and Nozomi. Don't be shy - stand there!
2. Here we go--!
3. Both of you, get in closer!
4. That's a bit too close...

http://40.media.tumblr.com/734aa02bb178546ea9fa8fb37ab86200/tumblr_nqdv14SRhQ1te4ztbo1_1280.jpg
by Switch
Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Strug

I made a tweet about needing a Paypal option on the shenmue.link site after the Kickstarter finishes so we could continue to donate. I sent it out to Yu, Biscay, Corsi and the official S3 page. Biscay has actually favourited it.
by Sonoshee
Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: videogamer.com: Time to announce other platforms?

Can't see this coming to Xbox one and I don't really want it too (speaking as an Xbox one owner)

I like exclusive games and will buy a PS4 for this - I also want to see Sony do well out of this considering they're handling all the PR etc. Good on them I say!
by spinksy
Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10,000,000

Sadly this campaign has experienced a lot of hurdles since it launched which cumulatively have probably resulted in at least a 25% decrease in potential backers. These include very poor management of the KS page, tons of misinformation about funding, and the fact that still a lot of people aren't aware Shenmue 3 was even announced. Ys Net is really going to have to step up their game if we are to reach 10-million by the end of the Kickstarter, which is still possible depending on what they decide to do from here on out.

One thing that a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that KS campaigns like this generate a huge portion of their overall funding in the last 48-hours of the campaign, sometimes as much as 30%. If we can get up to 5-million by the second to last day, I can see us ending the KS around 7-million, which presumably will be enough to get a lot of extra features crammed into the game.

I sincerely hope that Yu sets up paypal for donations after the campaign as well because I definitely would contribute monthly to it.
by bikingjehuty
Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Doesnt this make you smile.

Namron_Bearded wrote: Guys, the graphic is from Google.ca and they surely forgot to add "Shenmue" search written in Chinese and Japanese ideograms. ;)

Confirmed. 8)
by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I replayed Shenmue II disc 4 last night

I have a save specifically for when I want to replay it because I consider it one of gamings biggest milestones and achievements.

Before, it always made me sad, but last night I did it for the first time with the knowledge we are getting Shenmue III, and it made me really, really happy. I was happy seeing all of these questions and stuff that I may actually get answers to. Shenhua talks about water buffalo, and life in Bailu, and the old lady who taught her how to sew, all this stuff that's hinted in 3 you think you'll never see ever. And we're fucking getting it. We're actually going to get it! \:D/ Every time I played this section of the game I had a sense of melancholy, but for the first time I could sit back and enjoy it in full without pressure that I will never get answers to my questions.

I highly suggest everyone else do the same. What an amazing experience! =D>
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Creator Says Sony Won't See a Cent of Kickstarter - Gamespot

New article up on GameSpot. Provides clarification, which is great for getting the word out to the masses and diffusing ill-founded hysteria.

Anyone with a Gamespot account should upvote this and help it reach the "popular" section of the gamespot front page.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/shenmue-3-creator-says-sonys-wont-see-a-cent-of-ki/1100-6428436/
by Erevador
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Doesnt this make you smile.

Hyo Razuki wrote: The Mainland at 73 and Taiwan at 100. Doesn't sound bad at all.]

Pfft, we have more Shenmue fans in Brighton than the whole of Mainland China

by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cannot believe some of the people in this community. . .

anyone not supporting it doesn't deserve to play the final product. I mean, the ones that refuse to support. I can understand being skeptical (time, budget, team developing) and those are realistic concerns. But, if you have extra money to spare, lay off fast food for a week and help support it if you have some interest in the game.
by Jackie Fhan
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Creator Says Sony Won't See a Cent of Kickstarter - Game

Erevador wrote: Anyone with a Gamespot account

:neutral:
by NeoShredder
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: There Is No Reason For Negativity

Even Yama was on the brink of giving up and merging the forum with BioHaze.

:lol:

However, I think it's fair and important to note, that without the positive Shenmue fans who didn't give up years ago, we wouldn't have gotten this Kickstarter or a resurgence we are having now without them pushing Sony and getting Shenmue III to the top of their Most Wanted list.
by Himuro
Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic