Search found 188 matches

Return

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

I'm not sure things are as dire as you think they are. The Kickstarter is still tracking better than comparable Kickstarters. For instance, it is ahead of Bloodstained on every single day of activity. Yesterday's addition of the $3,000 tier generated $54,000.

Please, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We didn't even know Shenmue III would happen a week ago.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today!

I want it to make hundreds of millions of dollars and I want everyone in the world to buy two copies, but I'm content with the way things are going. I agree the Kickstarter is not being run well, but it's also already broken records, gotten into the news and generated quite a bit of excitement in the gaming community. Who would've thought Shenmue 3 would make headlines 15 years later?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid a lot of negativity surrounding the Kickstarter might dissuade the casual spectator from donating. The Polygon article made me pretty angry.

Here's hoping they get their act together in the next couple weeks. I believe they're getting and reading a lot of our feedback.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Shenmue 3 is on pace to surpass Bloodstained and is about to surpass the Doublefine game--in less than a week. Excuse me for not being that anxious about their crowd funding efforts. Wake me up when the actual game isn't being advertised correctly
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing is fucking terrible.

ello to Everyone around the World!
The Shenmue Carnival is in full swing now! Invite your friends to the party and keep sharing the news. Shout it from the streets to the mountains that Shenmue is back!

Today we have an interview from the main programmer of the Shenmue series, Tak Hirai. He was a key member of the team that made the series what it was, and his experience and familiarity with the code from the original series will be an invaluable resource in helping bringing back the world we all know and love. Give a big round of applause for Tak as he talks about the trials and tribulations of programming for Shenmue 1 and 2, and expresses his hopes for where Shenmue 3 will be headed.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/130940385
Hirai-san hard at work

Later on Today

Suzuki-san will be on Reddit today, so please join him and give him your support to celebrate this momentous occasion! The Reddit AMA will start around 9:30 pm and the link will be posted here on the Update page.
See you there!
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, that link IS HIS REDDIT. They really fucked that one up. Reddit completely deleted his information.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yikes, now this is amateur hour. A good marketing team would've contacted reddit in advance, gotten him on the calendar and had the mods set up the thread. I've been through these before. I'm pretty disappointed by what's happening tonight. I also feel bad for Yu, as I know he has no part in this.
by mjq jazz bar
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm very impressed. He's been answering questions for nearly 4 hours now.
by mjq jazz bar
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 million

It's a shame because if the Kickstarter was done properly I think it'd have had a decent chance of getting $10M by itself. I'm really annoyed by Awesome Japan - due to their complete and utter incompetence, they're now asking Shenmue fans to pledge far more than they can possibly afford, otherwise we get a bare-bones version of the game we've been waiting 14 years for.

I'm getting really annoyed by this sense of entitlement I'm seeing in these threads. Why do you deserve anything? At least they're working on making the third game a reality, when all hope was lost just a little while ago. It's still on track to be one of the most successful video game Kickstarters ever (if not the most successful). Some of you have really lost sight of reality.

Yu never said the $10 million needed to completely come from this 34-day Kickstarter. Outside funds, Paypal, etc. could contribute to the total. Calm down.
by mjq jazz bar
Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: $10 million

Bumped my pledge from $310 to $510. (don't tell my wife)
by mjq jazz bar
Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals reveal

Someone posted the Kickstarter on PewDiePie's Facebook page and it's gotten a pretty decent amount of likes. I'm not a fan, and I'm sure most of you aren't as well, but he's got a huge audience that hangs on to everything he does:

https://www.facebook.com/PewDiePie/posts/1005623342803888?comment_id=1005630109469878&offset=0&total_comments=1043&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22:%22R9%22%7D

Give it a shot?
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #14 - Yu Suzuki on Twitch this Friday

That's exactly what I said. People care more about rewards than they do about some clown in a chat room. The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has still managed to become one of the most successful Kickstarters of all time in spite of Awesome Japan. The Sony announcement was a masterstroke, and they're lucky they got it.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pledges went up dramatically thanks to the new tiers. I think many of you overestimate the effect these media shenanigans actually have on the Kickstarter.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should we contact Fangamer?

I agree.

The negativity is risible. The NeoGAF thread is completely consumed with the interviewer, worrying that the project will plummet to $0. Get a fucking grip.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Practically all the new tiers have been filled up with only a few left within the $2000....even if it sucked they surged up quickly at least another $60,000 so it worked. Now lets get more rewards rolling because CLEARLY they are working.
A well-done Twitch with no new tiers would've likely raised what, a grand, two grand? It's obvious what pushes people to pledge.
by mjq jazz bar
Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Honestly, and I hate to sound like the Ministry of Propaganda, what would that have accomplished? Comparing Shenmue trends to other trends, the project is doing about as well as any other project, including the famous Bloodstained

Throwing in those grab bags brought them $60K in about an hour. That had more of an impact on the project than any video they could've come up with.

I wholeheartedly agree the Twitch was a train wreck and that the Kickstarter could've been put together much better, but I'm not sure it matters based on the way the project is trending compared to other projects.
by mjq jazz bar
Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Corey Marshall Asks Fans To Help Get Shenmue On Conan

phpBB [video]
by mjq jazz bar
Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Were Awesome Japan aware of the Stretch Goals?

He just said this to me:

@CedricBiscay: @mjqmjqmjq @morning_haze @yu_suzuki_jp 14 years have not destroyed faith in this project. I will not let any companies or people do it.
by mjq jazz bar
Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Awesome Japan

Seems my little Twitter campaign did some good. :)
by mjq jazz bar
Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #16 - Twitch Recap

Awesome update! Ancient news that's sure to grab new pledges. These guys are consummate professionals.
by mjq jazz bar
Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

8-4 was going to work on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

but they were too busy. They even knew about it for several years and consulted with Ys Net for a little while. Oh, what could've been...

http://8-4.jp/blog/?cat=8

Go to 1:22:00.
by mjq jazz bar
Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8-4 was going to work on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Some of the guys in the podcast like it. Who cares? They do good marketing work. Anyway, just thought it was an interesting tidbit. I too am sick of the Awesome Japan bashing.
by mjq jazz bar
Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 8-4 was going to work on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

It says it in the first post, but I'll post it again so I don't sound like a jerk: 1:22:00.

The people on the podcast speak positively of Shenmue. I guess John Ricciardi is the minority voice in the group because I heard nothing negative.
by mjq jazz bar
Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #19: When Shenmue Got its Name

I for one enjoy these updates. Speak for yourself.
by mjq jazz bar
Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Update #20: Corey Marshall is Back!!!!

Corey Marshall back for 3!!!

2 Comments

15 likes
Hello Everyone!

Just in! Corey Marshall, the actor who did the English voice acting for the main character Ryo in Shenmue 1 & 2, is now confirmed for Shenmue 3!

The support for Mr. Marshall to reprise his role as Ryo has been just overwhelming!

We would all like to thank Corey-san for coming back, and especially for all the support he has given to Shenmue over the years.

Corey is as excited for Shenmue's return as we all are, and to help out, he has magnanimously offered his voice for a special reward. Yes, that's right--get a personal message from Ryo! Do not miss this opportunity to get a very special message from Ryo himself. Maybe one those classic Ryo one-liners?

The $1,000 Reward for the Corey Marshall as Ryo Voice Message will include the $500 Reward. The Ryo Voice Message will also be included in the Rewards for $2,000 and up.

The Man as The Man
The Man as The Man
Still ahead later this week we have some highly anticipated Rewards in the works and almost ready to go up, so keep it here!

What's Shenmue?

The finishing touches are being put on the new video to help spread the good word of Shenmue. There have been lots of great ideas and fan videos already out there and we would like to use them all if we could! But we have some great footage on the way to let everyone know about our favorite video game of all time.

#SaveShenmue Tweetathon on Twitter on the 3rd!

Every third of the month has traditionally been the day to show your support for Shenmue 3.

To celebrate the final??? #SaveShenmue Tweetathon, this Friday, the 3rd of July, Yu Suzuki will be joining in to Tweet along with you!

#YouaskYu

As part of the festivities, he will also be taking questions this week to be answered Friday the 3rd July 2015, 7:00PM PDT. From your Twitter account, you canTweet to Yu Suzuki by including the hashtag #YouaskYu in your message along with your question.

Get your unanswered questions answered by Yu Suzuki! See you there!
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward adde

James, maybe a message to Ys Net would help.
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "$30 on the 3rd" - ROAD TO $10 MILLION

I wonder where Kavinsky is...

by mjq jazz bar
Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Big Update coming in the next 10 hours. Before ~8PM GMT.

They've made about $35k today with no new tiers and America has barely woken up. Is that bad?
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kavinsky just tweeted out the Shenmue Kickstarter

I've been tweeting him a bunch... Worried he was going to get annoyed, but it worked.

by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #23 - New reward tiers added.

THEY ADDED THE PS4 PHYSICAL!
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #23 - PS4 physical copy & New reward tiers add

Jeff wrote: I mean honestly, is this what you want to see as a chiyomen member?

If it means the team gets more money, I'll learn to live with it.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #23 - PS4 physical copy & New reward tiers add

It's a cheap way to make a lot of money and make a great game. Sorry for not caring. I can't say I'm surprised we're still going to have a bunch of negativity no matter what happens.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: *sigh* Kotaku frontpage. Slow news day.

This article will have no effect on the campaign. It's pure shit slinging and he's feeding on negative energy. I'm amazed this is the kind of crap a videogame website would pay someone to write. you can find similar profundity on any videogame forum, usually written by a soon-to-be-banned user.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter:Final value and overall success assessment

Everywhere I look, someone is desperate to see the negative in Shenmue 3. It's kind of depressing, but I'm used to it.
by mjq jazz bar
Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Hype Is Real

While I have my reservations about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, which is still not even halfway towards a "true open world," folks have thrown money at it with aplomb. Over the weekend, perhaps spurred by a false sense of freedom (or apologies for the women's world cup result), Shenmue 3 passed Torment: Tides of Numenera ($4.2M) to become the second most funded video game on Kickstarter.

First is the recent Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night ($5.5M), which Shenmue 3 ($4.4M) could reach in the next 11 days in its campaign, though that seems unlikely.

Even doubters are acknowledging Shenmue 3's hype.

Source: Destructoid
http://i.imgur.com/Vjyyiv5.png

I don't understand how someone with so much to stay and who clearly thinks he's really smart has no idea what he's talking about.
by mjq jazz bar
Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Suggetion- 2 player VS Fighting 5.5m- NPC head re. 10

You don't like Fighters Megamix, peter? That's one of my favorite Saturn games. When questioned about it in the 1UP Interview, Yu Suzuki disavowed participation in the title and blamed it on another producer. Still, I love it.
by mjq jazz bar
Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue Saga - Huber Hype! (Game Trailers)

Can we convince Awesome Japan to just stick this at the top of the Kickstarter for the rest of the campaign?
by mjq jazz bar
Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2 New Rewards @ $1200 and @ $1400

Really wish they would've updated the picture and trailer with today's front page visibility.
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #29 - Dreams Come True - New Rewards

Today would've been the day for a killer trailer. It has front page exposure. I'm bummed out they couldn't time it. I'm not actually sure they were serious about the new trailer.
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We have time: Let's all commit to & promote a 7/15 spike

Eh, her production company did. I don't really know what it means. It's just another shot in the dark. Anything to keep the engine running at this point, right?

They've tweeted about Shenmue a couple times:

https://twitter.com/AnnapurnaPics/status/304378430126956544

https://twitter.com/AnnapurnaPics/status/511359065574739969
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Im not calling Yu Suzuki a liar.....

I don't know about that, but I do believe a savvy investor/company will pick up the slack and help Yu Suzuki deliver the perfect sequel to Shenmue 2. You don't get to the top of the Kickstarter charts and not attract some attention. I don't care if Shenmue 2 was a flop. Re-release the originals while the hype is still there and deliver a stunning third game. We're in.
by mjq jazz bar
Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Communicating through Sega execs Facebook

Would Yu Suzuki choose a bunch of rabid fanboys to communicate on his behalf with his colleagues, possibly friends, especially when he has a direct line to the company?
by mjq jazz bar
Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rewards Available on Kickstarter: Check here

someone in the Kickstarter comments said he switched from the bag to the LA dinner. Someone also took the NPC spot. Rumor has it its LIL B.
by mjq jazz bar
Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS Update #32 - Capsule Blowout and more!

Well, today's looking like a disaster. It doesn't help that someone dropped out of the NPC tier. They really only needed to add one capsule tier, if they were going to do capsules.
by mjq jazz bar
Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic