Search found 306 matches

Return

Re: Not helping the old lady!

Go to the park 4 days later and shes dead.
by Who Really Cares?
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: shenmue musical event

sshen1127 wrote: i don't think this one was ever post it on dojo channel...

Apparently, that's the same video as the one we talked about in this topic seven years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37513
by Kiyuu
Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bailu Village Hut Video - Full Quality!

Guys I thought this deserved its own thread as people will be super excited to see this now its in full quality! They just uploaded the Bailu Village Hut video from the Chinese presentation to the Shenmue 3 Official Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_NppngNCC8

It looks so great! I'm so giddy right now! haha! You can look at it and see within 1 second that it just fits the Shenmue feeling and atmosphere! So happy!

The thing that blows my mind the most, is the fact that the whole game is going to have to match this graphical fidelity and I couldn't be more pleased. What you guys think?
by SheepheadCG
Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bailu Village Hut Video - Full Quality!

That Ine-san is such an attention whore.
by shredingskin
Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"Ragdoll Reaction" stretch goal unlocked

http://i.imgur.com/h0aTFxY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3ZxlOUF.jpg

Yu Suzuki : Some of you may know what the Ragdoll physics is. If you release the strength of the body, it becomes like a doll, that's not really natural. That's why we're working on the «Motion Blending», adding some resistance to the muscles for example, to obtain realistic moves.

In a Virtua Fighter scene, patterns were determined by the Motion Capture, but with the Ragdoll physics, moves won't repeat over and over. If you get into something (like a wall) the reaction won't be the same. In fact, I'd like to combine the «Ragdoll Physics», the «Motion Blending» and «IK Constraint» to make the NPC and battle's reactions as real as possible. (source : http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49223)
by Yokosuka
Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Oh boy.... when the media hears about this, they're gonna rip Shenmue 3 a new one.

''Shenmue III developers scam Paypal pledgers from giving them exclusive items''
Even if I have zero confidence in gaming press, that would stray into outright lying. Nobody got scammed, it's just Awesome Japan ignoring the democratic will of the backers in two polls because they are afraid of backlash from a higher than expected percentage of backers.

Exactly. All that has happened is... nothing has changed.

I agree, it's pretty shitty. They should have at least stated before the poll that if "yes" doesn't get at least 'x'% of the poll, that nothing would change. Announcing that 'yes' won, but because 'no' still got a lot of votes they're not going to add any of the Kickstarter exclusives, is pretty bad.
by Reprise
Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331775510544/shenmue-3-yu-suzuki-interview

Kickstarting Shenmue 3 and the return of Ryo
By Ben Sillis on 9 February 2016
Legendary game designer Yu Suzuki on crowdfunding, Ryo’s return and even Shenmue 4.

http://i.imgur.com/Jd1PO79.jpg
Ryo is back after more than a decade © Ys Net

Mr Suzuki has been waiting a long time to make his latest game – about 20 years, in fact.
" From the beginning, I had been readying plans for various contingencies should the chance to develop Shenmue 3 ever arise, " he tells Red Bull in an exclusive interview. " After the Kickstarter announcement, I received a lot of messages and videos from people all over the world. I was very deeply moved that Shenmue still has so many loyal fans, even after 15 years. "

There are very few developers who are household names, stars that shine as bright as the mascots they create. Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo, Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear fame, maybe Peter Molyneux at a push. You could probably count them all one one hand, even, but you'd have to reserve one digit for Yu Suzuki, AKA Mr Sega, head of its AM2 development team for almost two decades.

While American CEO Tom Kalinske is often credited with turning Sega into a powerhouse to rival Nintendo in the 1990s, it was Suzuki who turned in the games he sold. Responsible for arcade hits like Hang-On and Out Run, Suzuki was one of the first developers to pioneer polygonal 3D graphics, in games like Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop. Did you ever play in a Daytona USA cabinet in the arcade as a kid? Of course you did. That was him too. Ferrari F355 Challenge. Space Harrier. Dozens of classic games. But there's one game he's never been able to escape from, one he has never even tried to, that has cast a shadow over his career this century: Shenmue.

It's a little hard to describe Shenmue if you've never played it. It's a sweeping drama of family revenge set in 1980s suburban Japan and bustling Hong Kong that incorporates detective work, 3D fighting, a metric busload of voice acting and more of life's most mundane activities than you might expect. You can play darts or buy toy capsules from a vending machine. You can get a job lifting boxes for pocket money, and at one point you literally have to spend an entire in-game week carrying books out of a library.
It was banal and it was beautiful. It was the culmination of Yu Suzuki's work pushing Sega's hardware to the absolute limit, and cost a fortune to make – a rumoured $70 million, though part of that cost went into Shenmue 2.
It did not sell.

http://i.imgur.com/AT8Tl3X.jpg
Shenmue creator, Yu Suzuki © Ys Net

It would be tempting to say that audiences were not ready for such a game. But Shenmue and its sequel were only failures by the same metric that Dreamcast was, in that they happened to exist at the same time as the mighty PlayStation 2, and therefore did not make their costs back. Both games were adored by fans, who spent more than a decade clamouring for a resolution to the cliffhanger at the end of part two. Suzuki for his part continued to spend the 2000s returning to his older arcade hits while dropping hints that he'd love to return to the story of brave, blundering teenager Ryo Hazuki, if only Sega would give him the budget.
Then E3 2015 happened and everything changed. Suzuki decided to tweet a photo of a forklift truck, Ryo's preferred ride, and then turned up on stage at the Sony keynote to announce Shenmue 3 would be coming to PC and PS4 – so long as fans were prepared to back the game on Kickstarter to the tune of $2 million. Predictably, the project broke the Kickstarter record for funds raised for a game when 69,320 backers pledged a total of $6,333,295 to help bring Ryo back.

The return of Ryo
As we enter 2016, it's clear we're entering a new phase in Suzuki's career. Sega has granted his new studio, Ys Net, permission to use the Shenmue IP, but otherwise does not appear to be involved, while inexpensive and powerful game engine software now makes the game feasible on a much smaller budget. In some ways though, Suzuki admits he's picking up where he left off all those years ago.
" Shenmue 3 will be based on the original 11 chapter story I planned during the [Sega] Saturn era, " he tells Red Bull. " Using that story, we put the game together in such a way that people new to Shenmue, as well as fans of Shenmue 1 and 2, will be able to enjoy the game. "
For those new to the saga, Suzuki has a quick primer: " It is the story of a boy who travels to China on his quest to avenge his father's death, but it is also a story of love and friendship, and the bonds he shares with the people he meets as he matures to manhood through his martial arts training. "
This description sounds a tad like the blurb you might find on the back of a Sega Saturn game box, and does not quite capture the story's allure: Shenmue 2 ends on a decidedly magical note in a rural village in China, with Ryo discovering that two mysterious Macguffins may cause the resurrection of an even more evil Macguffin. We push for a few more details, and while Suzuki is keeping tight-lipped on plot, he says Ryo will grown on his journey. He's still angry, but his encounters with others may help to temper that rage.

http://i.imgur.com/7XFjSyX.jpg
Shenmue 3’s environment is making use of UE4 © Ys Net

" In terms of the story, a year has not yet passed from the conclusion of Shenmue 2, so Ryo's feelings of revenge have remained unchanged, " Suzuki says. " As Ryo did in Hong Kong in Shenmue 2, he will travel to Guilin in Shenmue III, maturing as he encounters different people through his martial arts training. "
Little time has passed for Ryo, but gamers have certainly grown up in his absence. Entire console generations have come and gone. You can still play Shenmue 2 on an HDTV with an Xbox 360, but the frustrating controls – you move with the D-pad, not a thumbstick – only serve as a reminder of just how much conventions have changed.
We wonder if Suzuki, who openly admits he began planning this game in the '90s, believes he will struggle to update Shenmue 3 to 2016 expectations. " We are planning to use Unreal Engine 4 for Shenmue 3, utilising the most cutting edge production techniques so we can exploit the engine's maximum potential, " he says. " The design concept of UE4 matches perfectly with how I make games, which is why I went in that direction. "

Genre shifting Shenmue
It's not just games that have changed in the interim however, but how we talk about them too. Shenmue was far ahead of its time in this regard, at least. The game's open cities, with operating bus routes and shops that opened and closed with the days of the week, predated even Grand Theft Auto 3 by several years, and were a predecessor of the sandbox games we play today. Suzuki even came up with his own acronym for the genre at the time, 'FREE' (Full Reactive Eyes Environment). But if he had to pigeonhole his life's work now?
" The genre that is the closest to describing Shenmue is what nowadays is called an open world game, " he says. " The concept of Shenmue was to maximize the level of game play freedom by offering the highest potential number of different ways one could enjoy the game. "

http://i.imgur.com/lkBBjlF.jpg
Expect plenty of mystery in the third instalment © Ys Net

For better or worse, Suzuki also originated the concept of the Quick Time Event (QTE): you would perform set actions and survive certain scenes – like someone trying to stove Ryo's head in with a metal pipe – by pressing a button on time with the screen. Succeed and the story continues. Fail and you might have to go the long way round, find another lead in your detective hunt, or have your face smashed in by a Triad member. It was a novel concept at the time, but it's fair to say it's been overused since, especially in Japanese action games. A good developer, so the theory goes, will provide the tools and the engine to let you pull off cool stunts, not just bang out a cut scene set to a rhythm game.
Suzuki says QTEs will be making a return in Shenmue 3 however. " While QTEs may feel a little wanting to some action gamers, I believe that it is a fundamental technique that allows a broad range of players to actively participate in the dramatic performances of a game."
"That said, I would like to take up the challenge of creating the next evolution of the QTE, " he adds, cryptically.

http://i.imgur.com/VDMCglZ.jpg
Suzuki wants some of the team to remain anonymous © Ys Net

How Ys Net balance that need for secrecy and surprise with the transparent communication required of a successful Kickstarter project will prove interesting. " This is my first experience with developing a game in this manner and it has been a very valuable one, " Suzuki says.
" For the Kickstarter, the architecture of the game was based on a scalable structure that could be adapted to the changes in budget. I can continually receive feedback from the backers through the entire process, which in turns helps to focus the development. "
The team will have to focus. Despite the availability of powerful, multi-platform game engines and middleware, the Japanese gaming industry has turned away from open world games, and console games altogether, Suzuki points out. That makes finding a team to tackle a game with such a heritage on a comparatively small scale more challenging still.
" Smartphones have become the mainstream in the Japanese gaming market today, creating an environment where the technology developed for consoles is often underused ," he says. " Also, it is becoming difficult to secure the talent necessary to make such games, but thankfully, we have managed to gather a very promising team for Shenmue III. "

Suzuki says that he cannot reveal the size of the team – or the budget – for " confidentiality reasons ", but he is happy to talk about one recent and remarkable hire: a fan. 'Kid Nocon', a South Korean graphics designer, wowed gamers recently with his incredible high definition makeovers of scenes from the first Shenmue (" I have wanted to make a Shenmue HD for a long time ," Nocon tells us). He must have made an impact on Suzuki too, because he then hired Nocon for Shemue 3.

" Kid Nocon is one of the people who has never stopped supporting Shenmue through all this time, " Suzuki says. " Even when I first met him, I could really tell he felt strongly towards Shenmue. I hope he will continue to be an active part in the Shenmue team. "

Sequels incoming
At the time of the Kickstarter, Ys Net had little more to show prospective backers than a scene with Ryo and Shenhua hopping over some stepping stones. Suzuki says the team are currently, " working on the prototype for the game. Using that prototype, we are experimenting with the various features of UE4 and testing out the systems we want to implement. "
Suzuki is avoiding making any benchmarks to break his own back with, and steering clear of promises on visual fidelity and specs, at least for now. So 1080p, 60fps purists will have to hang tight for now. " We have just recently decided upon the graphical benchmark quality. As to frame rate, we are still running tests ."

Suzuki's reticence to talk specifics up until this point is understandable – who would want to ruin a game fans have waited patiently for, for more than 15 years? It does, however, make the answer to our next question all the more surprising. Will Shenmue 3 hasten to conclude what was originally conceived as a sprawling, 11 chapter epic?
" I'm afraid that the story will not be concluded with Shenmue III, " Suzuki says, frankly. " After thinking it through, we decided that forcing a conclusion in Shenmue 3 would only make the story feel rushed, and compromise the game as a whole. I hope we can make "
In other words, Suzuki is back to that grand, original vision for the series once more. All it took was a bit of a patience for publishers, the industry and software to catch up with him.
We just hope we won't be waiting quite so long again for Shenmue 4. Suzuki, for his part, seems optimistic: " In five years’ time, I think I will [still] be making games, " he says. " As for Ryo? I am anxious to hear where the fans think he will end up. "
by Yokosuka
Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hazuki crest step by step 3d modeling process video

test print! looks fantastic just need to scale it up a bit

by Ryo_Hazuki--san
Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hazuki crest step by step 3d modeling process video

Ready for some paint man it looks and feels like a real handguard and the best part is a sword actually fits inside of the hole (jst need to find the right one) :) once i paint it and create a box and cloth i may sell it :/ looks to nice to sell but hey if another shenmue fan can have one why the heck not! i am not a greedy modeler :) ENJOY

https://cdn.pictub.club/2016/02/06/hNIG.md.jpg
https://cdn.pictub.club/2016/02/06/hx1Z.jpg
by Ryo_Hazuki--san
Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

I did a comparison between Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 2 assets. Hope you find it interesting.

phpBB [video]
by Esppiral
Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue guestbook dilemma

Be unique, and draw the classic schoolyard cock, with balls and pube dots. Always good for a laugh.

I dare ya.
by Peter
Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki interview by Journal du Japon
http://www.journaldujapon.com/2016/03/16/interview-yu-suzuki-et-la-saga-shenmue/

Journal Du japon : Hello Mr. Suzuki... The world has finally found out the Shenmue 3 project since the kickstarter launch by Shibuya Productions. How have you met Cédric Biscay and when the idea of that production has born?
Yu Suzuki : To be honest, I don't remember how I met him (laughs). I only remember that he was the person who loved games and mangas.

Has the Shenmue 3 project been initiated by Cédric Biscay or was it already planned?
No, it's not his initiative. I've already the project in mind but Ryan Payton and Mark Cerny are the ones who advised me. They're pretty famous people in the gaming world.

The Shenmue saga is famous for its gameplay innovations. Is still an objective for Shenmue 3?
Yes, I would like to bring new things. I think it's necessary to move the game forward. If I don't, my creator role makes no sense. I always want to renew everything but if I make a game where everything is different, people will be unable to follow. Shenmue 3 will keep its identity while adding new elements.

Martial arts hold an essential part in this saga. What are your references?
In 1992, I made a trip to China for Virtua Fighter 2, I studied martial arts there. I also entered Shaolin monk temples. I wanted to study blocks and the way to deal with an attack. To do so, I visited several Shaolin schools in order to study with them how to do blocks because their specificities didn't really stand out visually.
note : Yu Suzuki stands up to show us how to do a block. With his gestures, he explains us that slow training was useless, and that being said, he had to practice for real to reproduce this in Shenmue II. He even harmed himself several times, he admits with laughs.

Do you plan to introduce other martial arts like Bajiquan in Shenmue 3?
I would like to put Hanken and Heishunken (note : martial arts from the South of China) to do fights on a boat for instance.

In an interview, you said being influenced by cinema rather than games. Your references?
No films especially influenced me but at Shenmue time, there was not really "cinematographic" games yet. What I especially took from the cinema were the staging techniques : the view angles, the way to put the dialogues forward and goes on. To make my speech clearer, at old-time Hollywood, the storyboards were long and very well written while today, they have to pack a film into two hours. That leads to action scenes and scene changes being way too fast. In games, there's no such problem, it's like the old movies (those I prefer!). It affords a better scene and character development, thus you can add depth and taste to your game. About the emotions you can perceive from the character faces, I like to watch Pixar, they're very good about that.

Today a lot of games have also the purpose to be an "interactive movie" very scripted, strengthening the immersion at the cost of player freedom. What's the best balance for you ?
If a story is always telling the same thing, I don't think it will be interesting. If possible, I would like to progress in a "multi-story" with several interesting branches to play because making a game which is not funny and without branching paths, I can do it right now (laughs). But it's more difficult to make a game like this.

I think the next big evolution will come up when the AIs manage to analyse the phases by themselves to create their own dialogues. A lot of new technologies like synthetic voice or voice recognition have appeared now. I said earlier that making a game with multiple paths was difficult but if we continue to get technologies and be able to put them together little by little, all of this can perfectly become possible and affordable.

About new technologies, a lot of games invent new things since Shenmue 2. What's the most significant one for you?
I already worked a lot on new technologies during Shenmue 2 and I will follow this direction. The biggest difference with today is the computing speed. This is beyond compare. Thanks to this, without going into details, I would like to do all the things I was not able to achieve in the past.

About the game localization, do you plan to include the Japanese voices?
We're thinking about it.

About the release date, what could happen to change it? Apparently, the game is planned for the end of 2017, is still the case?
If Shenmue 3 is delayed, a bug will be the cause. As you read the end of 2017 as release date, I will try hard to reach that goal (laughs). However, I think we could make a better game if we can spend more time on it. Currently I have to take charge of the management besides the game, so I have less time to devote to Shenmue. If possible, I would like to devote more time to the direction, so more time to the game and lesser to the staff.

Good luck for the remaining work so!

Credits : Romain Lapi (author), Laurence Gauthier, Kenji Kojima (translator), Olivier Benoit.
by Yokosuka
Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nolife TV interview with Yu Suzuki

https://youtu.be/bGTG4rTTSFU

direct link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0r6k4pdakly5c97/NoLife+TV+16+3+17+interview+Yu+Suzuki+%28Shenmue+3%29.rar
source: http://noco.tv/emission/31674/nolife/interview/suzuki-yu-shenmue-iii

raw text: It was one of our topics earlier in the week, the MAGIC show was recently taking place in Monaco. Among the many guest artists, we could distinguish Yu Suzuki, the famous creator of the Shenmue franchise including the upcoming third episode, 15 years after the second one.
Over the last 15 years, the Shenmue III rumor spred out one time per year at least. Always around March or April. I responded : "Let me know when it happens". But this time, it's real.
It's an absolute iconic game but Shenmue was considered as a commercial failure since its release on Dreamcast in 1999 despite his reference status for a lot of players around the world. Shenmue is still remembered for having introduced the modern bases of open world and QTE.
At the beginning, I named this game "FREE". I wanted the player to be able to do everything he wants as far as possible. That's the reason I made Shenmue. When I saw a lot of similar games coming out, I realized that it would become an unique genre. That really made me happy. I didn't expect this at all. Furthermore, these games have often big budgets. I was rather surprised. About the QTEs, we made it for the players who don't always have a good skill so they could still immerse themselves in the story. That time, I had the feeling this system would become very common.
After a resounding announce during the last E3 and a crowdfunding campaign with tremendous success, the third episode of this legendary saga is currently under production. While the public exceptations are obviously high, the Yu's objectives remain clear:
For Shenmue III, our goal is to deepen the characters. Shenmue II has widen up the scope of possibilities. Now I want to focus on more specific points. The thematics are still love, courage and friendship but the episode 3 will focus on Shenhua the heroine and deepen every aspect of her character.
If everything goes well, we have to wait until December 2017 to discover the story of Shenhua who succeeds to Ryo Hazuki as main character. But no doubt one and a half year is worth the 15-year wait...
by Yokosuka
Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki interview by ShenmueMaster at Magic 2016 is now available on Youtube:

phpBB [video]

(French)
by Kiske
Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki interview by Shenmue Dojo & Team Yu (MAGIC 201

Something like this would be much more "classy", to use a Trumpism:

http://i.imgur.com/ewiZv7u.png

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168114798&postcount=4125

I can see the joined up "n" and "m" in the original logo being hard-to-read for youngsters and newcomers, and a design like this is much more legible without resorting to Papyrus or Bradley Hand ITC.
by Amir
Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I accept that's what the logo will be. Regardless of opinion, if that's what Yu feels then who am I to tell him he is wrong. I'm just happy Shenmue 3 will appear on the front of the box. Some people feel the need to begin a revolution every time a decision is made that they disagree with.

That being said, if I was given the option between the 2 logos, of course I would select the original Shenmue font all day long. The new font.... I have different reasons for not liking it. I believe it to be a very lazy option to take. The reason? Well before I left Belfast, I was typing up the questions for the interview and then wanted to design a cover page for the document (I was printing out a hard copy for myself and James). So I was fooling around with font styles on Word and I was shocked to see that the logo is a MS Word font. Not one like it, not one similar to it. It is the actual Bradley Hand ITC font from Word. Here, I just opened up Word in work and did this example in 2 seconds:

https://imgur.com/jwU6aim.jpg

What annoys me about this, is that it's as if they have just flicked through fonts and decided, "Oh, that will do". Even something that stinks of a lazy AJ idea, but we know that's not the case. Either way, I am not getting caught up on it. I have mellowed out since Yu defended the logo. If he feels that it will appeal me to a greater audience then so be it. He is in a better position to have came to that conclusion than I have. He has my complete trust with this game, end of story.

Also thank you to everyone for the kind words about the interview. It was hard to keep it a secret for so long, ever since that Friday night when I received the message from Ziming, followed by David Villeroy. It was an unreal experience, from beginning to end. Thank you James for the fantastic write up.

I can't end this without taking a bit of time to sincerely thank David, and all the guys from ShenmueMaster.fr. I can't stress enough how this really would not have been possible without them. All of this, is a result of them reaching out to us, concepting the idea, organising it all, from press access to interview slot time, helping out with advice and question guidelines, and of course, even taking care of all video and picture capture of the day. I can't say enough how this would not have happened without them, and I still owe them more than a round of Guinness to say thank you.
by Peter
Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very interesting interview. Much appreciation for the guys and all the effort!

On some subjects he touched on regarding Shenmue III:

-Logo: I said it in some other thread before but I have a real issue with the current Logo. It just looks bad. It has no redeeming factor honestly. And in my opinion since there was no change in the logo from Shenmue I to SII besides the colouring I think they should stick to that. Also it still look brilliant.

The first logo we ever saw for Shenmue III was that great one in the kickstarter video and since then somewhere along the lines someone just pasted this ugly papyrus logo and all of a sudden it gets this great attention right now. I don`t get it...

Some members talked about it here, too:
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49533

-Music: Wow, I would have never thought that they already composed music for all the chapters. Kinda makes sense because as we all saw in the Saturn-Trailer there were scenes in there that also come up way down the line in the saga. That is probably also why the following piece sounds like it is right out of Shenmue II... So good!

https://youtu.be/Qd4MyNqI0fo

-Loading Screen: I personally think even if the hardware-limitation doesn`t make them have to put in the loading screen I think similar to why I don`t want them to change the logo that loading screen is part of the experience we love so much. So I would imagine the screen to be put in but just don`t last as long because it probably wouldn`t have a real purpose.

-Changing clothes: I really didn`t get that. Ryo didn`t change his clothes in Shenmue I even though he went home all the time. That kinda stuff is nothing I`d care about in the slightest. I would love Shenhua to stay in her iconic clothes unless because of the story they need to change. Something like that will probably happen to Ryo because at some point he will wear those green clothes we`ve seen so much. I`m totally ok with that.
by Master Mo
Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

Gave it another shot.

More satisfied now... needs some PRO tweaking :mrgreen:

by Kiske
Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III Logo Poll

http://i.imgur.com/ejBVdxL.png

http://i.imgur.com/6NCVLzx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QhLLmzC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GuzAqT8.jpg

And now, as far as I'm concerned...

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif
by Kiske
Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Project Update #55: April Report

pragma once

#include "GameFramework/HUD.h"
#include "MyHUD.generated.h"

/**
*/
UCLASS()
class SHENMUE3_API AMyHUD : public AHUD
{
GENERATED_BODY()

public:
AMyHUD();
virtual void DrawHUD() override;

class USoundWave * Ryo_English_01;
class USoundWave * Ryo_Japanese_01;

int LanguageSwitch = 0; // 0 - English
// 1 - Japanese

bool PlayOnceForTesting = false;

}

// End of .h
// MyHUD.cpp

AMyHUD::AMyHUD()
{

static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<USoundWave> ryo_eng(TEXT("(FOLDER_DIRECTORY_FILE_HERE"));
Ryo_English_01 = ryo_eng.Object;

static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<USoundWave> ryo_jap_0(TEXT("(FOLDER_DIRECTORY_FILE_HERE"));
Ryo_Japanese_01 = ryo_jap_0.Object;

}

void AMyHUD::DrawHUD()
{
if(PlayOnceForTesting == false)
{
PlayOnceForTesting = true;

if(LanguageSwitch == 0)
{
UGameplayStatics::PlaySoundAtLocation(GetWorld(), Ryo_English_01, GetActorLocation(), 1.0);
}

else if(LanguageSwitch == 1)
{
UGameplayStatics::PlaySoundAtLocation(GetWorld(), Ryo_Japanese_01, GetActorLocation(), 1.0);
}

}
}

Well, if it's voice acting that is the budget concern then that is a shame. If it is code related then here is some quick UE4 C++ code I made that should solve the problem. :P
by Mark James G
Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PART 1: Yu Suzuki Interview (May 9 Bessatsu Shonen Mag)

Here is a translation of part of a Japanese magazine interview with Yu Suzuki that was published in the May 9 (2016) edition of the Bessatsu Shonen magazine. The article scan was obtained by Ziming.

(Original scans provided by Japanese Shenmue fan @da34ss on Twitter)

In this part, Suzuki talks specifically about Shenmue III, although it is pretty short.

Note: the rest of the article covers topics like Suzuki's background in designing arcade games, the gaming industry in Japan, and how RPG and text adventure games of the time were influences on his design for Shenmue etc. I selected the part below as a priority for translation since it relates most to Shenmue III and the other topics have been discussed in previous talks & interviews.

We Talk With a Gaming Legend!

Shenmue III, the Game the World Eagerly Awaits, is in Development!

http://i.imgur.com/rT9HyAhm.png

Game Creator Yu Suzuki Envisions
the Future for the Game Industry

Yu Suzuki developed the Shenmue series for the home console from 1999 through to 2001, and is a game developer respected by video game fans and game developers the world over. Reporter Ikeda from the MMR* investigation team has carried out this personal interview as Suzuki works with youthful enthusiasm on his latest game, Shenmue III. Suzuki speaks with passion about Shenmue III and the Japan game industry.

* MMR stands for "Magazine Mystery Reportage", a manga series involving investigation of mysteries and the unknown.

Interviewer Profile
⋅ Name: Ikeda
⋅ Reporter for the Weekly Shonen Magazine “Magazine Mystery Reportage”. During the 1980s he wrote under the pen name “Akira Hibiki” as a game journalist.

Growing Anticipation for Shenmue III

What Lies Behind the Veil of Secrecy?

Q: Getting straight to the point, what kind of game will Shenmue III be?
YS: With Shenmue III, I have taken a different approach compared to Shenmue I and II. Normally, a video game is planned around a pre-determined budget, but with Shenmue III money collected through crowd funding is allotted to the development budget, so I designed it so the design could scale flexibly to match. In addition to the open-world gameplay aspect (which I termed "FREE" at the time of the first game), I also prepared new and attractive features that could be incorporated elsewhere. In saying that, the creation of a video game that can be packed with open-world style elements will always be swayed by the development budget. Rather than there being say 10 mini-games to play in a certain town, an even greater number like 20 or 30 is more enjoyable, right? However, creating a game this way has a direct impact on the cost.

http://i.imgur.com/nuy3QURm.png

Q: The development cost of Grand Theft Auto, a game which popularized the open world concept, is said to have been over 10 billion yen (US$100m).
YS: Trying to compete directly with Grand Theft Auto and its vast difference in budget would be like a puny 10kg guy taking on a 100kg sumo wrestler. In which case, the video game fans may as well just play Grand Theft Auto, wouldn’t you say? (laughs)

Q: Trying to compete in terms of quantity would be a losing proposition, wouldn’t it.
YS: The story for the Shenmue series is made up of the 11 chapters that I planned out, with Shenmue in 1999 being Chapter One, and Shenmue II in 2001 being Chapter Two. Actually, my intention for Chapter Three has always been for a scenario that digs down into a single theme. Across the course of the first two games of the series, the player’s degree of freedom increases, their field of exploration widens and the scale of the game grows to having around 450 NPCs. By comparison, although Chapter Three will give the appearance of growing further in scale, it will focus on digging deeply down into one particular matter, just as I planned out almost 20 years ago. And I’m aiming to do so in a way that the fans will enjoy, placing importance on originality.

Q: What do you have in mind when you say “originality”?
YS: For example, when characters are talking to each other, it would be weird for them to stand almost touching if they’re meeting for the first time, right? In real life, they would maintain a certain distance between each other.

Q: Their personal space... That’s true, if someone you haven’t met before stands too close it’s threatening rather than friendly.
YS: Conversely, when you’re with someone with whom you get on well... when you are with your girlfriend, you’ll be closer together, right? So if we introduce a new “intimacy” parameter setting, for example we could set the distance between characters according its value. If the game contains many of these subtle but natural experiments then I think it will make for a much more believable world. It will give the game a more gentle feeling. Right now I’m working on overlaying these kind of subtleties.

Q: It makes me look forward to Shenmue III even more! And finally, actually there’s something I want to ask personally: I’ve heard that when deciding the name of the hero of Virtua Fighter, Akira Yuki, the “Yu” in his surname was taken from your name. If that is the case, how about “Akira”?
YS: Well, I took it from the pen name you yourself used when you were a gaming journalist: Akira Hibiki.

Q: What... really?!
YS: It’s true. Both “Akira” and “Yuki” sound cool, don’t you think? I think the name of the hero of a game should sound cool. Akira Yuki sounds way better than say “Torao Daimoji” (laughs).

Q: To me, Torao Daimoji sounds pretty cool too though. It sounds like the name of a heavy-set guy with chiseled features (laughs).

<End of article>
by Switch
Fri May 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Direct feed Magic Monaco footage

There's some direct feed footage of the videos shown off at Magic Monaco at about 1:11 here- https://youtu.be/BSZwkuBRB4c?t=70

Better than shaky cellphone footage!
by KidMarine
Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: (still waiting on the) May update

Can we expect the traditional "Shenmue experience "?

Suzuki

: Obviously it's the true sequel to Shenmue 2 so you can expect a lot of detail. For example, one thing we have right now is, if you hit a guy blood sprays out and hits the wall and drips down. It looks really nice.

This bothers me more than it should. I know that real fights can easily get bloody, but I don't like to think of Ryo as violent or cruel. Most/all of his fights are self-defense.

How Complete would you say the game is?

Suzuki

: Oh, we are way early on it. We're currently about 30% complete.

Sounds great to me, considering that they haven't even been at it for a year.

Mr357, SMDZero is just making shit up again ;) He has way, way too much time on his hands :P
by Amir
Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VGA help!

If this VGA to HDMI adapter you bought is only an adapter, and not an upscaler, then unfortunately it's not going to fix your 480p problem. It's simply outputting 480p over HDMI instead of VGA.
by Mr357
Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WTF is this footage from(Shenhua fighting off street thu

Now that you're back I imagine you'll want to answer people's questions about your last thread before getting too bogged down in a new one:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49162
by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If you could ask Yu one question

Where do those bloody sailors hang out?!
by GYO6161
Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 Logo/Branding

You used the original logo, threw a 3 in there, then pasted it onto a photo. That takes two minutes tops. Go home and rebrand your 5 a side team instead.
by MiTT3NZ
Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2016

I will be attending TGS 2016 tomorrow and will be looking for anything shenmue related. Will keep you updated if I see anything interesting
by Snoopbob2006
Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #60: Dinner in Japan Reward Report

Sorry to be a debbie downer but this is a waste of an update IMO. But I guess they have nothing else of substance to show us until the next big unveil at a gaming show.
by delvec19
Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Dev Team Expanding - Leaflet Translation

They're using the original logo font. =P~
by Yokosuka
Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A lot of people have been wanting to know what we saw on that laptop. I can safely say there were no story spoilers in there. The majority of the footage consisted of location shots. What blew us away was the quantity that was shown, however. I think most of us have had doubts as to how far they've actually gotten into development, after only seeing a few shots of Bailu Village after all this time. But when we saw Bailu Village, Baisha and Choubu, any doubts I had were put to bed. They looked very fleshed out and beautiful already (and note that the footage was 3 months old when we saw it). There were bits of cutscene material, and a QTE testing scene, but those were really early tests and not much to talk about.

As some of you may now, YsNet recently started hiring additional staff to work on "high-end cutscenes." They are working their asses off, no doubt in my mind. I'm not saying this WILL happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got the first official trailer by December at Playstation Experience. Hang on a little longer, it'll be worth the wait.
by LanDC
Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think one thing thay can be said is what Yu mentioned about the look.

It was a very good conversation, that really made me feel good (this was said before we seen what was on the laptop). Yu went into a bit of detail about the colour of Shenmue, which I found very interesting. He said about how Shenmue has a specific look, which all stems from the colour pallette. He wants Shenmue colours to feel "wet", or "moist", in that you can feel the colours on the screen. Taste them even. He said that Unreal has a great colour editor but they didn't quite have the Shenmue colours he was looking for. But eventually they did crack it and in what we seen, it was completely Shenmue.

That's what I meant by when I was asked about if this game was essentially "Shenmue". It really is. This is where the brilliance and importance of Yu at the helm of this is so vital to this being a true Shenmue 3. Another director may have thought something looked well, but wasn't quite Shenmue. But it really is.

Another thing to mention is Matt is 100% completely right. He made the point of saying this was a little old. This was backed up by Yosuke who cut it. Now that means what we seen was completed around June, which is just 4 months after MAGIC where we seen a cut of Shenhuas home and the fishing pond etc which Yu confirmed was completed the day before. Now with that info, and seeing what they can do in 4 months..... I swear when you see it you will drop a bollock. Not only that, but they are now hiring more staff? Sweet Jesus this game..... I can't wait until all of this stuff is public so we can all be on this level of excited that we are.
by Peter
Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Main Menu

Shenmue 1 and II don't have the same menu design at all. They have the same song but the same design? Quite a stretch.
by Himuro
Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue II too big ?

Shenmue 3 will prove that size doesn't matter.
by SMDzero
Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kickstarter Update #61: Halloween Greetings

With Halloween upon us, it is time to get into the spirit, so…

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/014/323/816/1a62a14dce5699a73b771f2722f46ef1_original.JPG?w=639&fit=max&v=1477875959&auto=format&q=92&s=17a7b3b2a5a712fa0ad9312f4abe18d0

And yes, that is a Kenji Miyawaki original!

But one person who will not be going out to do trick-or-treat this year is this man.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/014/323/826/f35f62ab06f30478b575ef84e8c3a07f_original.jpg?w=639&fit=max&v=1477876031&auto=format&q=92&s=fd2da3a752d44777e994c44e9b1483dd

Yu-san has been hard at work to bring us the biggest treat of all, and now he has begun the momentous undertaking that is the signed rewards! Everyday Yu-san has been putting his signature to the Kenji Miyawaki illustrations, and thanks to your gracious and sincerely appreciated support, the number of illustrations to be signed is reaching the 5,000 mark!

Maybe next year Yu-san will be able to go trick-or-treating in his Ryo costume…

From all of us of us here, Happy Halloween!

High Res Chai/Shenhua Halloween illustration
http://i.imgur.com/UfyioPQ.jpg
by Ziming
Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Making our own HD remaster with Reshade.

EDIT, SORRY I posted by accident the post is still under construction.

HI!

Since it seems those HD remaster we are waiting for will never come to fruiction, I was wondering, what we could do to improve even further the games ( appart for making them widescreen :))

First thing that came to my mind is, well a simple HD remaster would feature some kind of improved lighting, and some "modern" tecniques such as Screen Space ambient occlussion or depth of field, someting that happened to Code Veronica HD.

So I first knew about reshade not so long ago, it is a PC tool that allows you to inject some sort of cool post proccesing effects to any game, the thing is it needs acces to the z buffer in order to inject the most advanced effects, such as the before mentioned SSAO and Depth of field, and whenever I read about it everyone would tell me that the Dreamcast does not have a z buffer nor any Dreamcast emulator. so it was impossible.... well... It turns out they were mistaken.

Both Demul and NulldC have z-buffer and Reshade can actually make use of it to inject advanced postprocessing effects.

You will need Reshade (I use Mediator for convenience)
Demul 5.8.2
http://demul.emulation64.com/
or this specific version of NullDC
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46995
And Reshade
https://reshade.me/

So set up everything.
In demul you should select the directx 10 plugin in order to make it work.
In nullDC you should set the z-buffer option to D2468 mode 2 (lower precision) otherwise Reshade will not have access to the z-buffer.

Once you have everything in place just add the emulator to Reshade and tweak anything you want at your will.

The most impressive effect you can actually add to the game is SSAO, you have different options HBO, SGI SSAO etc, it uses the depth buffer to determine objects that are close to each other and makes them project a soft shadow, it gives depth to the game and personally it is pretty impressive,
Basically it does this.

http://i.imgur.com/Ox9krGg.jpg

Some comparissons with the effect turned on and off, notice how closer objects cast soft shadows to each other.

http://i.imgur.com/lY3bk9A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CS1jTtY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QleNjyi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mj6rKRk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oY0vjM9.jpg

You can also add Bloom, HDR, Lens flare and so on so lights will look that are actually emiting light.

http://i.imgur.com/t5j19kq.png

http://i.imgur.com/eYiSdqQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XS6DKb2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kZRS4ER.jpg

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TTBOIKK.jpg[img]

http://i.imgur.com/bXrSgQF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xbIKGR4.jpg

HDR lighting

http://i.imgur.com/DODN68F.png

http://i.imgur.com/sj9ParV.png

http://i.imgur.com/gJEkrWd.jpg

Tonemapping for a more natural looking lighting

http://i.imgur.com/ucd9IcM.png

http://i.imgur.com/qtBZsLa.png

http://i.imgur.com/u9RrCdm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/csBuuy8.jpg

Depth of field ( once an object gets closer to the camera the background will become blurry, I love this effect too :))

http://i.imgur.com/l5OzfC9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BMfuUr2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3E74rM5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O6VcAoH.jpg

Sorry for the overload of images :D
by Esppiral
Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Keep the girly hissy fits out of this topic please.
by Ziming
Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Making our own HD remaster with Reshade.

Could you post either a shader profile or a screenshot of the settings you have enabled and levels of intensity? I can get certain things to work, but things like DoF, motion blur, HDR don't work well at all for me. I got SSAO working decently but it looks a lot better in your images.

Phenomenal work though, thank you for sharing with us!

This are the leves and config I use and like the most for SSAO

Should look like the bottom image in debug mode.
http://i.imgur.com/FZn73eF.png

Just tried it out. Your gonna need a BEAST of a system in order to run this. However, I was doing this on DX11 where the instructions say DX10 so that could be the reason. Its pretty simple to use. Just download the .Exe and run it. Point it towards the Emu your using. Run the emulator and press Shift+F2. This will pull up the configuration settings. Just make sure you create a profile first. Cant make any changes before you do it.

Yup, it needs a lot of resources, but tweaking things can lead to great results at low performance cost.

Hello:)
Great post! I trying to make it working on NullDC but Reshade seems to not work with it.

Can anybody please help me with that??

Be sure to set the z-buffer option to D2468 mode 2 (lower precision) otherwise Reshade will not have access to the z-buffer.

And use the Nulldc version I pointed to in the first post.

After some testing it seems reshade works best on Nulldc rather than Demul, eveything I posted here was capture using Demul, but it seems it has some z-buffer problems during cutscenes and closeups, something that doesn't seem to happen on NullDC.

Lovely stuff.

Any chance of a video clip or 10?

Sure!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRhyHShqKzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxzszeMZhUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA35Q73IKxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE-EfHPrI0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwX51lRH2Xs
by Esppiral
Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter update #62: Yu Suzuki & The Music of Shenmue

Peter wrote: He put on some music whilst we were at the back of the bus for the dinner. I can't remember what it was he played though.

Darude - Sandstorm.

Then he turned out the lights and handed out glowsticks and E.
by Spaghetti
Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Poll] Place your bets: What happens at PSX?

What I hope: S3 + I/II HD

What I expect: S3

What we get: >.<
by Kiske
Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter wrote: Feels like Christmas Eve today.

Won't be online much tonight to roll with the hype. Have to go to a charity dinner, but will be online tomorrow for the fun and festivities.

1 more sleep...1 more..
by delvec19
Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TOMORROW.

Sweet Jesus.
by Himuro
Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I, for one, am seriously upset. I waited many years and invested, as many others, a fair amount of money to see this game become reality.

We deserve better. Looking at this debacle, I am reminded of the Kickstarters who failed, such as Mighty No. 9.

This was a game that was much maligned, but at least was shown off to the public to generate interest. This is now the two biggest stages in gaming that Shenmue III has been a no-show.

10 months? We've barely seen *anything*. Passive can footage and environments with placeholder models still present. The 10k backers saw something that was, while good, still months old.

This is a game that has generated nearly $7,000,000 so far. Something *must* be shown. You mean to tell me they'll wait until E3 2017, 6 months before release to show *anything* on this game and a delay is not gonna happen? I have my doubts.

I hope Awesome Japan and Cedric are getting roasted right now and we, as financially involved consumers in this project, *deserve* to be shown something in the Christmas update. And it better not be something like "Yu's Favorite Wine and Cheese with Shenmue", which is about as frilly as the current updates we've gotten these past months.
by Valascaziel
Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic