Search found 27 matches

Return

Re: What arcade games would you like to see in Shenmue 3?

Please air your opinions without resorting to personal insults. There's no call for it.

Ok, but I think it was him that was repeatedly rude and condescending first. I didn't write a single insult until after all these posts from him-

If you're that bothered by the idea of VF in Shenmue, I highly recommend you never play Shenmue 2. You'd probably be butthurt because everybody speaks Japanese in China. It's the same thing.

(What you're saying is exactly like that except with 20 paragraphs of nonsense mental gymnastics around it.)
What a stupid, arbitrary thing to care about.

I guess it breaks immersion... If you have a 2x4 wedged far enough up the ass.

This is on top of him rying to shove paper thin arguments down my throat while failing either to read or understand my post. I try to be nice to people but I'm not Gandhi.

It was aimed at both of you, just go cool yourselves off :P

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/CPY62QU-ab0/maxresdefault.jpg
by Sonoshee
Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Play as 1 of 4 characters" - April Edition '99 of GameP

While it's clear that the journalist that wrote this had no idea what he was talking about, it's pretty cool that they had Aberdeen, Guilin, and and Kowloon in these screenshots. I can't tell where Ryo is in the two pictures that are farthest left.

On those shots I'd guess:

The furthest left is an early design for the thin street which you pursue Zhu's assistant first time you meet him when he gets captured by Yuan's thugs. Think it's called White Dynasty Qr. That's the street with the long QTE amidst the market stalls in S2. It's also the place where you can do the Chawan Sign and get the cutscene with the abused boy.

The second is another early scene from S2. It's where Ryo jumps the fence following Wong at the beginning. (Notice how the fence is broken underneath which is where Wong crawls in through). Early textures. Fence looks amateur. Gives hope to those early concept renders for Shenmue 3 eh?
by LucBu
Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much

I thought Suzuki-san discounted any possibility of a VF game during #YouaskYu, with something to the effect of: "There were no polygon games back then."

Not really sure how I'd feel about it; doesn't really matter to me either way, and I am a huge VF player and fan since the get-go, probably the biggest on this site.
by Wude-Tang Clan
Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much

So... Yu said calling cards wouldn't exist in that time period and yet he's including them. You Non-VF guys should be against that too, then, right?

Yes, I'm against the idea. It would take away the impact of his return home/epilogue, if it happens. Writing letters would be more appropriate, perhaps with a voice over monologue when he reads them, however I'm also against that idea.

Personally the only reason why I wanted that tier is because I want the full fucking game, and not some watered-down version they release to the masses. Almost as bad as disc-locked content, imo (which it may very well be)
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes (ringtone)

https://twitter.com/SST_V/status/623686139740712960

Aside from Skies of Arcadia and couple others, usually when Sega puts up OST stuff its because they have download release for it or its somehow avaible. Anywho its the first sign that Sega aknowledged Shenmue in very very long time.
by freakycritter
Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Realistic NPC's in Shenmue 3

To be fair, games like Bethesda's TES series do have NPCs that all have full work, sleep, and leisure schedules. It was one of the most touted features beginning with Oblivion, and continuing in Skyrim.

The difference - and in my opinion advantage - to Shenmue's implementation of this (apart from being the first game to really innovate it) is the smaller, more closed community allows those schedules and behaviors to 1) feel more important, and 2) actually get noticed by the player.

Sometimes in modern sandbox games, there's almost TOO much freedom to really stop and appreciate the more subtle stuff that's going on. But with Shenmue, everything from the camera's closeness to Ryo, to the methodical pace, to the smaller scale of the world all forces those things into the player's attention front and center. And as a result, they feel so much more immersive and REAL to me.

In sandboxes, the journey and the experience is about massive visual vistas and freedom to roam and create your own personal story. In Shenmue, the the journey is Ryo's, and the experience is about intimate, granular minutia and everyday life details. It's almost more like a life sim than an open world game.

That was by far what I loved most about Shenmue.

Sidenote: What was the first game to feature dynamic shadows that change with time of day? Because Shenmue 2 did a fantastic job with that and I remember thinking at the time that it was amazing. Did it innovate that too? Or at least beat others to it?
You've basically summed it up perfectly :) An 'open' world that still feels intimate and small. Most open-world/sandbox games just feel a bit soulless and anonymous, to be honest. As said thoigh it is a pity that some of the finer details were lost in S2, to the point that in my most recent playthrough I have been surprised when some shops have actually closed at night-time. I guess some cutting back was necessary because the world is so much bigger than S1's, but it's still a shame. Hopefully we'll see a bit of this return in S3, seeing as it will be set in villages, hopefully allowing for more attention to be given to the little details :)
by Miles Prower
Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The New Character Model I have the Most Issues With

Yeah, Lan Di seems cold and ruthless, but I don't get the impression that he is particularly happy, smug or sadistic about doing what he's doing.
by Centrale
Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Am I the only Shenmue fan who has...

I don't mean it's the worst, just the most disappointing. There's so much they could've done with it and is ridiculously short, probably due in part to the needless ability to enter every single room. Don't get me wrong, it was great that you could do it, but was it really necessary?

The area just didn't feel intimidating as it was trying to be, and nowhere near as claustrophobic as it should've been. I could talk all day about just how easy it woulda been to improve the chapter or Shenmue II as a game in general.
by MiTT3NZ
Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Can we speculate on locations based on the GDC concept m

Cangyanshan looks amazing.

Here's a post I made on the villages in Shenmue 3. It has some real-life photos:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48086&p=1097268#p1097268
by colacube
Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Communism in China, and Ren's return in Shenmue III

Also, don't forget a Chinese triad (Chi You Men) which is not only active in Hong Kong and abroad but also on the mainland plays a major role in the game's plot which the party sure as heck won't like. Especially if a village in Guangxi Province was to be depicted as under the control of the triad.

Also the party probably won't like the Guilin region depicted as extremely backward for the late 1980's. I mean, that part of China might indeed not have been very developed back then but even if that's true, the party probably still would not like for that to be shown.
by Hyo Razuki
Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega puts Shenmue I main theme on iTunes (ringtone)

Can't really say I agree, especially not the fans-part. Granted, handing Yu the license to continue the saga was a fair move. But in the grand scheme of things they never gave much of a damn about Shenmue, and they didn't even try to look like they did. What they did was minimal, and it never happened by their own motivation.
On the contrary, Sega has been releasing a steady amount of Shenmue merchandise these past few years. Showing that Sega acknowledges the demand for more Shenmue related products, which is more than can be said of many franchises that originated from the Dreamcast era. Plus, don't forget that it's unprecedented for any corporation to allow their IP to be used in a Kickstarter like this. Shenmue 3 exists in large part thanks to Sega's cooperation with Yu Suzuki and all those amongst the Sega fanbase who have been striving to see Shenmue continue. The success of this Kickstarter can pave the way for even more Shenmue support in the future. That perhaps is might not be too much longer before Sega releases HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2.
by Kintor
Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Feminism

I typed a long post but it didn't go through. Not gonna do that again right now so I'll just say there's a lot of views in this thread I find very disgusting.

Makes me real glad I don't have to see you blokes in real life.
by ShenmueTree
Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Hi guys !

I am gathering all your questions and will pick up the best ones based on popularity. I am going to check if some questions weren't already in previous interviews to avoid wasting time.

Seems like people are often asking about the scroll, leaf and the "boat" chapter so far. If that's possible I will ask about that. We still have time so go ahead and write down your questions whenever you want to.

Thanks for your support guys, really appreciated !
by DEVILLE_David
Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wonder what he means by decision specifically then. It sounds quite curious.

Yu Suzuki : " Modern fighting games are too complicated, too “hardcore”, overly attracting. Those factors definitely limit the audience, because even fewer people are playing them, and at this rate the genre can sink into oblivion. That’s why I support a more simple approach to gaming.

[...]

Difficulty in fighting games is usually based on the requirements for accurate reaction and memorization of combinations. Which means that you need to accurately calculate the timing, and flawlessly press buttons. But I would like to make a win dependant on how a gamer thinks. To make him think, like, “If I hit with an arm now, and then kick with a leg, I could win.”

I want to make a win based on making the right decisions. And because of that the battle system in fighting games is still imperfect. Even in Virtua Fighter. If you're not able to press a button in the exact moment, and because of that you lose, the problem is not in your wrong decision. The game just set the task of reaction for you. Did you accomplish or fail the combination – this is on what a win depends. It would be better to attach a sensor on the gamer, so all his thoughts could be instantly and flawlessly implemented by the character on screen. That would definitely be a battle of decisions and be true fighting action in a good sense, not thanks to blood and violence. For example, suitable for this could be sensors that measure alpha waves in the brain. And it's not a distant future, people have already been working successfully in such a direction for a long time. There are people, for example, who have microchips that can control heart function. Of course, I doubt that someone will insert something inside of them for games, but if they can stick something temporarily onto them – why not? Another example in this direction is Kinect from Xbox 360. So we don't have to wait much longer and there'll be a time for new realistic fighting games. "

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46577
by Yokosuka
Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looking forward to the interview! Although I'd love to know more about III, I think I'd wait for the game, as I already regret watching the spoiler in the Niconico interview. Here are some of my questions (including upvotes for ones already asked):

(Already asked)
- Curious about Shenmue Online, can he talk about how he was asked to make it, how faithful it would have been to the Shenmue story, was he disappointed it was cancelled?
- Japanese audio and English subtitles is a must!
- How far along was SIII was on Dreamcast before being cancelled?
- How does he feel about the supernatural elements of the floating sword and Shenhua's powers contrasting with the realism of the first two games?
- What game (arcade or any other) would he like to make other than Shenmue?

(New questions)
- Has he met Shigeru Miyamoto? What is his opinion of Miyamoto's games?
- What was Zhu Yuanda's relationship like with Iwao? I felt that this was not really discussed at the end of disc 3 of Shenmue II. All we heard was that Zhu was friends with Zhao Sunming, but nothing about Zhu and Iwao.
- Does Yu Suzuki practice martial arts?
- If everything goes well with Shenmue III, how does he foresee IV and V coming along? Can we expect them in 2019 and 2021? Referring to the GDC map, can we assume IV would take place in Xian/Luoyang, and V would be in Mengcun and Beijing? Would we ever see a side story set in Shanghai/Suzhou or Tibet/Xinjiang?
by kuwakodono
Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well it seems the Japanese VO with English subs for EU & US players is a big deal to a lot of folks, contrary to what may have been said before. Think enough people have mentioned it to warrant the question being asked. I sent David an email already so hopefully he gets the opportunity. (Cheers David!)
by Sh3ppy
Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No worries guys. I can understand that some people want to have the choice between english/japanese voices etc. I am not going to ask for something specific but telling him that there's a demand and adding an option to allow us to choose would be great.

I am receiving all your mails so even if I don't reply, don't worry. Right now I am busy with my travel schedule etc, but I will read all your questions one by one, I promise.

I can't thank you enough for your support.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible !

Have a nice day.
by DEVILLE_David
Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

- There is a old screen-shot of a scene where Ryo is giving Xiaoqin (the little girl from 'Sunny Capital Pharmacy' in Shenmue 2) a ride on the back of a bicycle. Can you explain what was happening in this scene and why it never appeared in the final game?

- In South Carmain Qr. of Shenmue 2 there is a mysterious dead end alley just to the right of Sunny Capital Pharmacy. This alley has always intrigued fans. Some have speculated that this might have been the location for the removed 'Man Mo Travel Company' or a through road to a completely new location. There is also some evidence that Sunny Capital Pharmacy was originally located there. Can you provide any information about this alley?

-Are you aware of any secrets or easter eggs in the original games that still have not been discovered by fans?

- Can you give us any information about the village of martial artists that was completely removed from Shenmue 2? Was this a village in Guilin?
by johnvivant
Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: With Shenmue 3 coming out, we'll finally get to....

Also, you learn swallow flip from Master Chen at the end of Shenmue but you can only use it one fight- in Shenmue II the move is gone.
It's still in Shenmue II's move list and you can still perform it with the extension where Ryo will jump up and punch the guy laying on the ground. In fact this is the very move that Ryo uses to defeat Baihu in the first round if you haven't learned the Machine Gun Fist.

The Demons Triangle can be used in the Shenmue Collection when you took a quick look at the scroll in Langhuishan.
It's very powerfull and fast and looks impressive and absolutely painful.
by BlueMue
Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What will the "goal" of the game be?

shenmue852 wrote: one of the goals will be to REAL SPOILER
rescue Shenhua's parents from the Chi You Men

Just to note that Yu Suzuki's comment from the Niconico broadcast can be interpreted as referring more specifically to (SPOILER)
Shenhua's step-father (details in my earlier post here)
by Switch
Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lack of Loading Screens? No Loading Screens?

Loading times would allow more detail in stores. Witcher 3 had a massive downgrade indoors due to this.
by killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: OVA or Manga/a better option and less controversial? [ra

Shenmue doesn't have a great story, but it's presented very well as a game.

Video game or nothing -- I don't want no stupid Shenmue Anime.
by Thief
Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Sega inevitably announces the HD remasters...

Nocon Kid was most likely hired to work on the flashback scenes.

Re: the competition theory, it’s more valid than you might think. Especially if Sega ends up releasing “bare-bones” ports (if that), whilst Nocon releases his version for free on the internet (which he was considering).

Ideally, I’d love to have him gain experience working on S3, before integrating an official Shenmue [remaster] team…but since Sega doesn’t like money, I won’t hold my breath on this one.

On a side-note, I agree with Zoltor; it seems that certain JPN gaming companies are mentally stuck in the 20th century:
-Konami cancelling awesome IPs to make pachinko machines
-Sega selling merchandise exclusively to JPN market
-Shenmue Paypal officially focusing on the 5 retards who can’t use non-JPN internet.
by punkmanced
Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When Sega inevitably announces the HD remasters...

Hiring an ultra-dedicated Shenmue fan with abundant Unreal 4 experience, whilst successfully/ legally binding him from releasing anything in the future that could be seen as competition.

Multiple birds with one stone; in other words, a good business deal.
This shouldn’t be hard to understand.
by punkmanced
Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ryo's Accessories

shenmue852 wrote: anyway do you know if Naoyuki's bike was based on an actual model like Joy's was?

I'm into sports bikes, so I'm not as well-versed in cruiser bikes. It resembles the 1986-ish Yamaha XJ700 Maxim to me.
by RyanHazuki
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic