Search found 39 matches

Return

Re: What was the one thing you found unique about Shenmue?

The characters. Few games have the level of depth in all characters that Shenmue has.
by Mr357
Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The fact that the story included the boring day-to-day "in between" shit. Most games and films play out like a montage, just showing you the most important parts and completely ignoring the fact that the characters actually have lives and need to do things like eat, sleep, blow off steam, etc.

Whilst the games didn't necessarily go all out with this by modern day standards, it still felt like the player was constrained to the limits of reality. You couldn't just go out, hijack a boat and sail your way to Hong Kong, that shit just wouldn't happen. You'd have to break the bank or get a job to fund it, and the people around you would tell you not to do it coz of how ridiculously stupid and dangerous it is.

The term "realistic" is often cringed at nowadays, but I certainly feel that the Shenmue series was/ is very grounded, and whilst I'm sure there are games released since or perhaps even before it that use a similar approach (maybe even to better effect) I certainly haven't played them.

There was a hell of a lot in Shenmue that was unique at the time, certainly to me at least, but this is the stand-out aspect that made it such an unforgettable experience.
by MiTT3NZ
Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

obviously, the game as a whole.
if there was any shortcomings, i'd have flung the disks out the goddamn window. (and made it my mission to off ** ******)
the ONE thing that stood out for me, was the technical side of it, not that i'm a coder. (but a hardware guy.)
if betamax vs vhs was an example, but betamax failed, then dreamcast was the same.
shemnue took that machine to new levels, graphics and gameplay (music too) in that case could only be attained on high-end computers.
it was WAYYYYY ahead of it's time. (i do occasionally fire it up, and even though one and a half decades has passed, still have the same appreciation for it.
then again, i'm a commodore guy at heart, and know a good thing when i see it! (in my opinion.)
not commenting on story, can't be fucked with headache from users, so they can fill that blank. :mrgreen:
it's what the game brought to the cast, including itself. :-k 8)
[edit]
corrections.
by amiga1200
Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

A question:

How long do i have before the game cannot be bought?

Like can in 2017 could i order the game then? from Ysnet i mean or via Paypal?

Or must i order it this year before they close down all buying options?
Nobody knows when the Slacker Backer campaign is due to be closed, but if you want it and have the money, it'd best to err on the side of caution and get it before it's too late.
by Spaghetti
Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE GAIDEN ANNOUNCED!!!

I hate to be THAT guy but i have a question:

Whatever happened to that Xmas demo you were planning on Releasing? Did you manage to get it out in time or is that coming in the future?

Forgive my eagerness but your giving me more shenmue which is always a good thing =D> \:D/

Apologies for the massive delay. Me and Esspiral are still working very hard on the game. We're still trying to sort a few things out.

The next time i edit the main page, expect a massive update which should address all of your questions.

Thanks again to everyone who have been patiently waiting.
by ShenSun
Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Two Weeks Left

You're most likely on the right track, Peter. It's low-key for a re-reveal, but I'm increasingly getting the feeling it could be a very smart choice.

There's no point trying to hang with the AAA crowd with a flashy 2 minute overview trailer, because it won't be able to compete (although Shenmue III will probably get its day again at a press conference before release).

But there's a lot of good PR to be potentially gained by inviting the press in for closer look at the details of what YSnet have created. Shenmue III won't sell on spectacle, it'll sell on its depth and artistry, and it's looking like YSnet's Gamescom plans could be made with that in mind.
by Spaghetti
Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

I was really happy when back when Sega said that they were trying "actively pursue shenmue remasters"

But that was what? 1-2 years ago

So i just got fed up and decided to buy a OG Xbox and Shenmue II Physical

I am usually an optimistic person but in regards to these remasters. I dont see them happening ever unless Sega unveils them at E3 2017 . That will Be Sega's last chance to announce these remasters. If we dont see them at E3 2017 then we wont see them ever. That is just my opinion.

I hope you mean E3 2018, otherwise things are very very bad. :P
by Kiske
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SHENMUE MANGA!

Hi there people, I´m Sebastian Riera, aka SebasRD82 in the social media, and I´m working on a Shenmue manga. Just opened a Patreon to help make this possible. Maybe some of you may be interested, or not. Just in case, I´m sharing the info ;)
This is the Patreon link: https://patreon.com/user?u=695795&utm

Here you have some of the manga pages:

http://i.imgur.com/wzCbjM5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/t9GHLPp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VG40VR9.jpg
by SebasRD82
Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Message to Suzuki-san @ Gamescom

Supa wrote: Late to the party...got room for one more signature?

Sure, will you be there? Or pm me your name and I'll write it on.
by yuc02
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue III @Gamescom '17 Discussion - Yu's at a party

I can set my watch to Technophilz coming in to shitpost.
by Spaghetti
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://ift.tt/2wiBzGg

Kotaku with the first dagger. Prepare for a lot of this. I truly feel bad for Yu Suzuki, but I think he'll pull it off in the end.

Kotaku can never be taken seriously, especially when the writer of that "article" posts on his Twitter that "Shenmue fans are people who just haven't played Yakuza yet."

Sites like that are pure click-bait and should be avoided like the plague.

Quite why they let a biased writer post about Shenmue 3 would normally be a headscratcher but as I said... it's Kotaku.
by Sonoshee
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kotaku? that place full of clowns? don't take them seriously.
by Fei Fong Wong
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"This is a PS4 game*"

*made by an indie team on a shoestring budget, that won't release for another 12-16 months give or take

Top quality games journalism. I mean really amazing work.

The guys at Kotaku are fucking idiots lol that is all it boils down to. To be honest, when you look at most gaming "journalism" its all the same. I left all those sites in the dust and only use Dualshockers now because they only post the facts (the comments there are less stupid too... kinda).
by SheepheadCG
Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mixed reaction from general audience

People from YSnet would probably run a mile if they read this place sometimes.
by Spaghetti
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

I would love a HD edition of Shenmue 1 & 2 for the Switch. I know it probably won't happen, but portable Shenmue would be so fun.
by Bluu
Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm gettin far too old for this shit. I haven't slept in 2 days and the amount of stuff that the human brain has to take in, I just can't manage at the moment. How people do this for a living I do not know.

I tried to keep up with the community as a whole these past 48 hours, but with being here and trying to update the Dojos social media it's been a hard task and I'd say live missed 90% of it all. I know about the negative backlash though. I think even Suzuki-san knows too. He keeps saying "environments good, character temporary". I said it on NeoGaf in a post I am far too tired to dig up. But seriously, criticize all you want. I am not blind to see the issues with the characters. But where is the patience. Where is the 4, Wude. You are not helping the already unwinnable position Suzuki-san is in. He is damned if he does and he is damned if he doesn't. The game is not ready yet and with any other normal game in development, so you shouldn't even see this stuff. But with every Kickstarter update, it's the same comments if they are not showing enough, we want more. We want a trailer. Really, you sure you want a trailer now at this stage of development? Ok here you go, and bam, it is still as bad a reaction as ever. It's an unwinnable battle the man has to face, and I feel sorry for him.

I literally don't know what to do anymore in trying to steer you guys towards the things I am seeing and the things I hear. It's a waste of time. I do honestly give up at this stage. Not singling out any one comment, its just gotten to the stage where I have no words anymore. The negativity has gone from critical to venomous and toxic. Hey, that's people's right, you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion of that though is just one of sadness rather than anger and confrontation now.
by Peter
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TwiceFriedRice wrote: http://kotaku.com/actually-the-shenmue- ... 1798323180

lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol That is actually fucking hilarious! Very big props to this writer for her having the guts to do a counter article against one of her colleagues on the same site haha Classic!
by SheepheadCG
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's an unwinnable battle the man has to face, and I feel sorry for him.

Absolutely with you here. My least favorite thing about all this mess is thinking of Yu getting discouraged. I know the man has been patient and perservered over the last 16 years, but it has to be frustrating to hear some of the backlash (constructive criticism is one thing - even with a work in progress - but the hate/toxicity/unreasonable idiocy...). As a fan, I can ignore a lot of it pretty easily. As the creator of the game who has devoted (along with his team of course) countless sleepless nights over the last couple years getting the game to look as good as it does (which I'm overall very happy and excited about), I'm sure it's much more difficult to ignore. Honestly, I probably won't bother giving them feedback on the logo, because I don't think it's worth it to distract him over. If he is happy with the newest one, I think I'm willing to just give in. It's not going to affect the in-game experience.

I know you will, given the chance, let Suzuki-san know how grateful MOST of us are for his tireless efforts. I could go on, but really, I just hope he knows that most (at least I hope most) of the Shenmue fanbase is still very happy and has faith in him. I want him to be happy with his game, he deserves it. From the looks of it, I'll be quite pleased as well (even if I'm not 100% loving everything about how things look in a WIP).
by squall
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HappyConsoleGamer talks bout the Shenmue 3 Teaser

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great to finally see him holding the banner. Such a great idea, I'm really sorry that I totally missed this topic.
But good things I was able to sign it when I was there.
by BlueMue
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

With Yu Suzuki having to reshape the chapter structure constantly it's become so amorphous that there's simply no definite answer anymore.

I'd take the missing 20% of Chapter 2 as the boat ride, wich was once Chapter 2 itself.
Going by the current construction Shenmue III is going to continue with Chapter 6 as I doubt it ends in the cave, there still has to be more travel until the first new city is reached at least.
by BlueMue
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Based on other interviews Yu has said...

Chapter 1: Shenmue 1
Chapter 2: Boat to Hong Kong(not in game)
Chapter 3-6: Shenmue 2

I think with Shenmue 2 Yu had to cut a lot from each chapter to get to where he thought that game should end. He said in another interview a couple of years ago it would take 4-5 games to finish the story. So we're looking at Shenmue 5 being the last game. He would have to cut a lot to finish in Shenmue 4.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gamekult interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom

https://www.gamekult.com/actualite/yu-suzuki-le-plus-difficile-est-de-creer-de-bons-personnages-3050797909.html

Interview context: Gamekult is shown an extended version of the trailer with additional scenes and QTEs with "work in progress" mark. Then the interview begins with Suzuki and his English translator.

https://i.imgur.com/jseQm8Q.jpg

Gamekult: First of all, I would like to know why you decided to publicly publish a short version of what you just showed us privately? Is it for marketing purpose or a future backer exclusivity?

(Suzuki begins to talk to his translator who is also in charge of the business side of YSnet. The latter takes the floor.)

YSnet businessman: That's a good question! Honestly, there's no specific reason but some people think showing the extended version is too early. The idea behind the trailer was to announce our partnership with Deep Silver. We aimed to reveal that we got a better financial support. We have been silent for too long so it was important to show something at Gamescom while it's not a real marketing strategy.

Yu Suzuki: We may create an improved and longer version of the video for the end of the year. A true promotional trailer.

GK: After watching the video, I now wonder how you proceed with animation in Shenmue 3. Do you use motion capture, handmade animation or both? Are you working with an outsourcing studio or do you have your own motion capture studio?

YS: We use motion capture as working base then we make adjustments. Everything is captured internally although we do not have a true motion capture studio. We're using a magnetic capture tool because it needs less space to work so we can easily proceed in an open space. However, we are certainly going to use a real motion capture studio for the most important action scenes.

GK: Are you working with outsourcing studios? For instance, TOSE or Virtuous.

YS: We have our own team where people from various companies are working. In general, everything is made internally. The goal is to avoid outsourcing.

GK: How many people are working in the team?

YS: Sorry but I can't tell you any figure.

GK: How will your partnership with Deep Silver benefit Shenmue III? Is the original project going to evolve?

YS: To be honest, we just signed the contract. We have yet to know what Deep Silver can bring us exactly but we hope it's significant (laughs). From a business point of view, we should take advantage of their international network and their communication expertise since they have a great record with Japanese studios.

GK: How will you proceed to make the game interesting for the fans as much for the newcomers? Can we start Shenmue III without having played the previous episodes?

YS: We plan to insert images and videos from previous episodes in ingame situations, something like memories. One of the ideas consists of inserting visuals when you're phoning characters from Shenmue I & II.

GK: Yakuza 3 proceeded differently with cinematic buildups to summarize the story of Yakuza 1&2. I wonder if Shenmue 3 can proceed the same way but the visual contrast between cinematics and the gameplay would be obviously significant.

YS: I still don't know how it may look on screen but it's a possibility. Anyway, we'll decide our own way to proceed.

GK: What will the Shenmue III main themes be? Storywise, is there any particular event or topic you're willing to set up?

YS: It's faster to show you. (Suzuki starts his PC and launches a slideshow) Here we go, the three key points of the game are romance, characters' life and martial arts. Then my main goal is to use the latest advancements in technologies to express feelings through gaming situation. Today there are even more ways of expression but also more challenge with the modern tools. With Unreal Engine 4, the most challenging part is to create good characters.

GK: You mean, using your own engine when you're working on Shenmue I&II was easier than using a foreign third-party engine?

YS: Yes, absolutely!

GK: So far, have you programmed with your own hands?

YS: I created some algorithms and little prototypes but I'm not working at the heart of coding. I worked on an artist's AI who appears in the game, NPC behaviors and some combat scenes. But my main job is research. The final code is written by people who are more skilled than me.

GK: About visuals, how far do you think you are from the final state?

YS: First of all, I confirm that everything related to the characters is temporary. Then I would like to say that, in order to reach the best possible result from a technical point of view, we need a lot of resources, way more than we currently have today. That's why I'm trying to find a balance between visual quality and the other key points of the game, especially what makes the gameplay singular and different from the other productions.

GK: About environment size and interaction volume, how would you rate Shenmue 3 compared to the Dreamcast episodes?

YS: I would say that the game is as wide and dense as Shenmue 1&2... On further consideration, it will even be richer. The time of play is more difficult to estimate since each player has his own pace and may progress differently with all the side quests available. I think more than 20 hours will be needed.

GK: In order to make Shenmue 1&2, you traveled several times in China. Did you travel again for Shenmue III or are you using mainly archives and memories?

YS: I went back to China two years ago, when the project did start. (Suzuki is searching his PC folders to find photos of mountain landscapes, old buildings and busy streets) As you can see, we reproduced some roofs of tiles in the last video. I really would like to display as much characters as those you can see in these photos! (laughs)

GK: If you were going to leave Japan to live in another country, would you choose China?

YS: Not China, no. (laughs)

END OF INTERVIEW
by Yokosuka
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He said in an interview a few years ago (maybe 2012/2013ish) that if it was up to him the series would take 5 games to complete.
by KidMarine
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I want him to make at the most five games. The longer this series stretches the more likely we'll never know how it ends. If he can finish it in four games and tell the story he wants to tell I would be more than happy. In a perfect world he would get five games or even six if he had enough content. But realistically I think four to five games is all we should expect.
by elfshadowreaper
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gamekult interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom

Senpai Gamer wrote: I wonder why Yu doesnt want to live in China 0-0?

Let me think... :-k
by Mr357
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Missing chapters in Saturn version?

I had always thought that maybe the saturn version had more story content past meeting shenhua.
However it never ocurred to me that there might be other content of story elements that happen before that. This is fascinating stuff.

Just how much story does the saturn version have?
Now i'm guessing the saturn version is nowhere near being in a finished playable version, so that version being released is definetely not happening.

I would, however, love it if shenmue 3 had lots of extras with new vídeos from the saturn version.
by zema
Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Senpai Gamer wrote: What do you all mean by the "train scene"? What chap was that in?

I believe it was supposed to be between leaving Hong Kong and arriving in Guilin. It's how Ryo got there.
by KidMarine
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You can see a femtosecond of the train sequence in the original Project Berkley trailer.

https://youtu.be/GQ6-QRThA8A?t=34s

I recall from a past interview Suzuki said that the deleted Chapter 3 is interesting enough that he might incorporate it into Shenmue IV. I forget which interview it was from (it wasn't from anything this week) but its out there somewhere if anyone wants to clarify.
by Enigma
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I want him to make at the most five games. The longer this series stretches the more likely we'll never know how it ends. If he can finish it in four games and tell the story he wants to tell I would be more than happy. In a perfect world he would get five games or even six if he had enough content. But realistically I think four to five games is all we should expect.

To be honest, I don't care if I see Shenmue end or not. It's more than just the story that makes it special, it's a lot of other things. Rather than having a half-assed conclusion or one where lots of stuff is cut away from it, I would much prefer to have no conclusion at all in this case. I really hope the saga at the very least goes up to Shenmue V. You know, the ending is just a bonus. If it means that we get a rushed Shenmue game that's clumped together just to see a conclusion, then I definitely don't want it.
by Shenmue_Legend
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The full translation of the 4Gamer interview is now also up on the Phantom River Stone blog (together with his interview with Dengeki Online).

Interview link:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... uzuki.html

by Switch
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thats amazing yuc02!! The shenmue community is indeed one of the best out there. As Peter usually said in his streams there is so much love here!
We owe a thank you to you yuc02 for organizing the whole thing and for writing down the names of people who could not be there (including mine)!

Kudos to you yuc02!
by alexironaek
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Teaser Surpasses 700,000 Views

For better or for worse, numbers don't lie. If that's what a teaser can do, can you imagine a proper fully directed trailer, or even a Shenmue HD announcement trailer would get?

Shenmue is on the cusp of a full blown comeback. For the last few months of this year, I would enjoy the relation and calm. Shits gonna get real in a few months once they really ramp up the promotion.
by Peter
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PC Version Modding

Now this is kind of a crazy idea. But would it be possible to carry out the type of modding that the folks over at GTAForums do? Meaning perhaps we could combine the Maps of Shenmue 1+2 all into one map. This would only work on the PC version im guessing but would it be possible? I now its pointless but having the entirety of Shenmue 1 and 2 on one big map with the story working alongside it would be awesome. maybe im asking for something that is uncessarry but im just curious and find the concept cool.

Would doing such a thing be easier on the PC port of both games? And this next one is abit extreme, but what about total conversion mods, where we add a new story essentially set in both maps? And a even further stretch would be to make a Shenmue 1 remake on PC?....yeah i am thinking wayyy to much.

I think you'd hit engine limitations before being able to do things that ambitious.

Also what about adding bikes into the HD ports? from what i remember, someone was modding a useable bike into Shenmue 1IRRC.
That's an interesting one actually. I'm no modder, but the bike mod could actually be feasible on the PC considering the progress that was made on the Dreamcast version.
by Jibby
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD Fact sheet

Question: Will both games require a high end PC? i dont think they should since they are old games. I own a craptop hence why i am asking. I am stuck on whether to buy PC or PS4. The Craptop is mine but PS4 is my brothers, so i would prefer the PC version but can i run it is what im concerned about.

As others have said, I'd expect that the requirements will be pretty low. If you are worried, buy it directly from Steam (instead of a grey market key) as if it doesn't run/doesn't run well, you can get a refund as long as you haven't played the game for over 2 hours. You can then use the money to get the PS4 version on your brother's PS4 as a last resort :)
by SheepheadCG
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD Fact sheet

Question: Will both games require a high end PC? i dont think they should since they are old games. I own a craptop hence why i am asking. I am stuck on whether to buy PC or PS4. The Craptop is mine but PS4 is my brothers, so i would prefer the PC version but can i run it is what im concerned about.

recommended specs have not yet been released, but as you say, given they are older games i don't think it'll be too demanding.

I updated the fact sheet, btw
by johnvivant
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue HD - Are the cutscenes in 4:3 (Non-Widescreen)?!

They need to work a lot and take out fingers of ass for make a true and beautiful Remaster. As why my TV can stretch pictures, I don't need stretching options everyone can do this...
I'm not sure you particularly know what you're talking about here, but you might want to tone your language down about the developer, especially now we have someone from there posting here now.

EDIT: After further discussion, the above post was considered rude and too far out of line to allow, and has resulted in a week's suspension.
by Spaghetti
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic