Search found 819 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue I & II not losing a poll on SegaScream.com anymo

Not fair and nothing to brag about. :|

It IS fair.... I want Shenmue I and II more than anyone else and therefore my vote ought to count for more!

It is just the same as many SIII KS backers pledging with multiple accounts!!!

8)

PS: I'm only KIDDING. I did not cheat the vote but did participate and am pleasantly surprised Shenmue surpassed Jet Set Radio legit.
by SMDzero
Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Premiere (Dreamcast Express Vol. 1) Subbed by Switch

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Carmain Qr. - Mysterious Dead End

Hey Kiyuu, the image links seem to have died, is there any chance you could re-post them? i would like to see them again.
i could only find 2 images in the dojo gallery, but it seems that you might have posted more that aren't there.
thank you.
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_no29_pic_02.jpg
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_no29_pic_01.jpg
by johnvivant
Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Carmain Qr. - Mysterious Dead End

Hey Kiyuu, the image links seem to have died, is there any chance you could re-post them? i would like to see them again.
i could only find 2 images in the dojo gallery, but it seems that you might have posted more that aren't there.
thank you.
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_no29_pic_02.jpg
http://www.shenmuedojo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_no29_pic_01.jpg
Those two were the ones I posted back then. They are the only images released from the older map.
by Kiyuu
Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue II 100% Complete Notebook Guide NOW AVAILABLE!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/fpBZJq9_zpshovs0qau.jpg

GameFAQ Online Guide - HERE

Microsoft Word Download - Shenmue II 100% COMPLETE NOTEBOOK GUIDE.doc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STORY COMPLETION
|----------|----------|----------|----------|

MONEY INFORMATION COMPLETION
|----------|----------|----------|

TOTAL COMPLETION - 100%

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTRODUCTION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Many have tried, all have failed. Since its release, the Shenmue community has STILL to get a full 100% complete notebook guide for Shenmue II. All we have had so far are failed attempts, disappearing acts and a very incomplete notebook with no guide how to complete the entries by Julian McKenzie, which was attempted over 10 years ago. I cannot believe that no one has followed through with completing this project and over the past months I've been itching for a new Shenmue Project to work on. I chatted with Yama briefly, trying to come up with ideas, and whilst some are really good and may be seen in the future, with my technical limitations as well as my time limitations, this seemed fitting for this point in time. I've been researching all attempts gone before for the past month now, and also chatting to some people to gather resources to make sure the necessary ground work has been done before even firing up the game. To ensure the finished document will be absolutely verified, i attained the binary files of the notebook entries, both to aid me fill the notebook, and also to make sure nothing is missing or out of place. So, with that out of the way, lets start the path to completing this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
100% COMPLETION?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, lets get something out of the way to begin with. Firstly i have never been 100% sure on this but since starting this project i have gotten my answer. The question i have always wondered is:

"Can the Shenmue II notebook be 100% filled?".

Well, it depends what way you look at it. If you mean a notebook with every page filled and no missing entries in your story, then YES it can be 100% filled. You can get entries which skip and block other entries if you are just casually playing through the story-mode, but if you follow my guide you will not miss an entry. However, in terms of EVERY notebook entry being activated then the answer is NO, it cannot be 100% completed. The simple reason for that is because there are instances where there is more than one way to get to a story point. I have called these instances, "VARIABLES", and they occur around 4 or 5 times throughout the game. So, if this is the case, then how can i call this a 100% COMPLETE WALKTHROUGH? Well, that's because i have spent hours and hours of taking notes, and testing out every variable to get their total entries. It may not seem like a big consumption of time that's needed for them, but it is. From failing each button in a QTE sequence to see where it leads, passing a QTE sequence, visiting locations in order to get a complete set of entries, meeting requirements before an event, and not having met those requirments...Its a hugely painstaking process.

Here, take a look:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Mobile%20Uploads/20150522_011528_zpshiuvkxiy.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Mobile%20Uploads/20150522_011603_zpsp5prj050.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j290/PeterC2005/Mobile%20Uploads/20150522_011659_zpscmggyo5o_edit_1432175892191_zpsvpvvk4pz_edit_1432175932260_zpsnzri1uzz.jpg

Not only do i have scrap pages of notes, i have an enlarged replica diary to capture every detail i can. Any time there has been a variable in the storyline, ive had to get the scrap paper out and begin the flow charts. What leads to where, what happens if you do this, what happens in this order or that order, what happens if you have spoken to this person or not.... you get the picture. From the scrap notes, then i have fully written out notes on each variable and what to do if you want to take one path or the other. The notebook entries that appear are usually the same size in terms of their entries to their counterpart variable. What i mean by that, if you take one route that covers 4 lines on one page, then the other will also take up the same page with 4 lines filled. It doesnt affect the overall storyline, but you do get to see some different cutscenes, which may be of interest to some of you who havent experienced all that Shenmue II has to offer.
Another reason that its a painstaking task is because there is one event ive encountered so far where there is a variable within a variable!! So the possibilities that i had to figure out were multiplied. I completed all of those tonight so thankfully thats out of the way. Thats the main piece of information i wanted to address from the beginning, and as the project goes on, i will be adding more notes to this section.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHAT TYPE OF GUIDE WILL THIS BE?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is NOT a complete Shenmue II guide. There are plenty of those out there. There will be no walkthroughs to unlock Fagmeis birthday, or how to get up to the 3rd floor of the Pine Arcade etc. This is a no BS, straight to the point completion of the notebook. Where to go, who to speak to, what to do, and here is the entry. This will be very much like Force Vectors original Shenmue notebook walkthrough which you can check out HERE , but i should point out that i will not name EVERY person who will reveal a notebook entry like he did. There are just far too many NCPs in Shenmue II, and to be honest, you are just grateful to find the right person to speak to in the first place. As i mentioned above, when it comes to a variable, i will outline each option, and what to do when you have chosen the path you want to take.
Some entries may appear in the notebook ahead of where you are, but thats not something to worry about. You just move onto the next entry and follow its instruction unless i will have told you otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
COMPLETION TIMEFRAME
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With the foundations laid with the prep work, things have been going smoothly as they can for 2 weeks. I work 2 jobs so its been mostly a few hours late at night and documenting everything in my physical notebook. The pace was picked up on Monday just gone, when i had a minor operation and now have a full 2 weeks off both jobs to recover. That means bored days sitting on the sofa day and night, not even allowed to leave the house since it rains constantly in Ireland and i cant get my dressings wet. That was another reason the timing of the project was perfect. This will stop me going crazy! I am cleared next Wednesday and head to a weekend festival next weekend (29th-31st May) so my aim is to have the project completed, tested and typed up before then. I am putting in 16 hour shifts in on this, and i hope it will come through in time. I cam currently playing 3 save files on the Dreamcast version of Shenmue II, and once i have reached 100%, i will be doing a full speed test run on the Xbox version to make sure everything checks out. I also want to check and make sure the entries are unlocked on a person/location based action, and not amounts of negative comments received beforehand etc. Just basic QA to make sure everything checks out ok on a separate walkthrough, but also as well as on the Xbox.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And thats it folks! I appreciate any comments, and feel free to discuss anything you have wondered about Shenmue II because i feel like i have seen everything so far, that the game has to offer. Its awesomeness was already at high levels, but with doing this project and seeing how much effort that the development team have put into this game has made it reach favourite game ever levels. I am off to get a few hours sleep before diving back into Kowloon in the morning :P
by Peter
Wed May 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: gamesTM Magazine: Yu Suzuki Talks - Shenmue 3 Exc. Inter

Interesting article (Games) but nothing exclusively new to be honest.

That said, there are a few aspects of the article which makes me more confused than I was before reading it.

Q: "Will arcades comes back"?
A: "It will depend on the budget"

I naively thought that arcades were confirmed in S3 but which ones would be back was still unconfirmed?

Then the statements from "Games" about the area of Choubu and Bailu not beeing funded sounds confusing as well.
In my understanding, those area will be in S3 but not in their fully "extended" form, at least not without more funding.
Can someone confirm their presence... I'm starting to sweat :|

Arcades aren't confirmed yet.

Choubu and Bailu are in the game (Bailu is where you start off, then I think you go to Choubu and Baisha). They just aren't as fleshed out as they would be if those stretch goals are met. Hopefully we hit a few Choubu stretch goals in the PayPal.
by Amir
Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What Is Shenmue? - An Introduction on Youtube

http://i.imgur.com/bl1vHrK.jpg

A fascinating look at the Shenmue franchise has been posted on Youtube by 'a.winner.is.yu', chronicling the series' most revered aspects.

The video, titled 'What Is Shenmue?', gives newcomers and veterans alike a look at why Shenmue was so ahead of its time and why HD remakes of both Shenmue 1&2 are a necessity.

The entire ten-minute video can be seen here .

Links & Hashtags: #SaveShenmueHD
What Is Shenmue? | Forum Discussion | News Archive
by Sonoshee
Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Awesome Shenmue video, everyone should see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64u9TUtTMa0

Seriously this video should have atleast 100k views by now, It's so awesome.

I wish it was longer(so it would be even more complete, but that's the life story of Shenmue video/reviews on Youtube, I swear), but with all things considered, omg It's awesome, possibly the best Shenmue video on Youtube
by Zoltor
Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

I was watching at the E3 reactions videos for the xxxx time (makes me feel good when i feel blue :mrgreen: ) and I've came across this Michael Huber video. Man I love him!!!

Sorry if this video has already been posted many times, but maybe some newcomers didn't see it and really, it's awesome :king:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAsWwI5Xv4
I still watch Shenmue III reaction videos every now and then, and the ones I love the most are the ones where they only have to hear the first few seconds of the music before exploding with joy :D

Aside from the GameTrailers one, these are some of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGiTb0JVmHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60NqgzO2KWs
by ShenGCH
Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Translation requests here!

Giorgio wrote:New interview of Yu Suzuki on Famitsu:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/08087158.html

Happy to see another interview out!

It looks like there hasn't been any full translation made yet, so I'll make a start on it (may take a couple of days).

Update: translation posted here.
by Switch
Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SEGA TGS 2015 Teaser Website / Lineup

SEGA has opened a teaser website for the Tokyo Game Show 2015 lineups of SEGA, Sega Networks and Atlus. The lineups will be unveiled on September 10, TGS starts on September 17.

http://tgs.sega.jp/
by Monkei
Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Making of Shenmue

Here is a mediafire mirror of the mp4 in youtubes highest quality. its in a 7z file

password is
shenmue

by shengoro86
Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Famitsu Interview with Yu (Sept 8th)

Ok, here is a translation for Part 1 of the Famitsu article. I hope this will minimize the pain of having to read the auto-translation from Google.

The second part will follow as soon as it is completed, although I know it's probably where the most interesting snippets of information may lie!

What will Shenmue III be like? A post-Kickstarter interview with Yu Suzuki (Part 1/2)

Shenmue 3 has drawn a lot of attention, after breaking several records on the crowd-funding site Kickstarter. We asked Yu Suzuki for his thoughts following the completion of Kickstarter, including the additional features that were reached through stretch goals.

How does Yu envision Shenmue 3?

The development of Shenmue 3 via crowd funding was announced at the Sony Computer Entertainment press conference, held the day before the opening of E3 2015. Through the crowd-funding campaign that was launched immediately on Kickstarter following the announcement, the funding milestone of $1,000,000 was achieved in record time; also a new record was set for the highest-funding for a Video Game on the platform, and total of approximately 780m yen of funding was gathered, making it the 6th most-funded project in Kickstarter history.

Famitsu.com carried out an interview with Yu Suzuki, director of the game that has been receiving all the attention: Shenmue 3. As this is the first interview after the end of the crowd funding, we also wanted to ask him about additional features achieved by the stretch goals. Check it out!

Looking back on a tumultuous month after the end of the Kickstarter project

Q: The Kickstarter campaign for Shenmue 3 recently finished as the most-funded Video Game on the platform. Please tell us honestly how you are feeling now.

Yu Suzuki (YS): Honestly speaking, it's "Here we go!"

Q: So you're feeling keen to get underway, rather than sitting back after a successful campaign?

YS: Yes, what I'd really like would be to make the development period longer. So it's like, "Hurry up, let's get started!"

Q: Will you move forward with development without any change to the planned release target date of the end of 2017?

YS: Yes. The budget from Kickstarter has now been confirmed, so I'm at the stage of seeing how far I can stretch the width and scale of the project within that budget.

Q: Looking back on the period from the Shenmue 3 announcement at E3 until now, what has been the most memorable thing for you?

YS: Most memorable for me while I was away at the E3 conference has to be the moment of the announcement. Right before it, while I was waiting backstage, the remake of Final Fantasy VII was announced, and I could hear the tremendous commotion. I was worrying and thinking "I hope Shenemue's going to be ok, 14 years on (from the previous game)" but when the video was shown I heard a huge cheer...

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/087/158/l_55e03d3fd1969.jpg

Q: The cheering was really loud, wasn't it. People were getting to their feet in joy.

YS: Of the whole conference, that was the moment when the audience's reaction most sounded like screaming.

Q: Is it one you will always remember?

YS: A lot has happened since then, but that was the moment that touched me the most. Later on I watched videos of people's reactions to the Shenmue 3 announcement. There were people whose voices cracked with excitement, and others who didn't stop crying. I was really moved when I saw everyone's reactions.

Q: You have mentioned in previously that you had been considering Kickstarter for a long time. What things did you find most difficult or surprising when you actually ran the campaign?

YS: There was a lot to learn. I had heard that with Kickstarter, starting at a fast pace is important, so although I really wanted to announce something beforehand, I wasn't able to because it was to be announced at the Sony conference. So I thought about whether there was anything at all I could do, and on the morning of the conference I put up a photo of a forklift on Twitter… which got me scolded by someone from Sony (laughs).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHeMgPTUMAADEN1.jpg

Q: Fans will guess what's going on simply from seeing a forklift, you know! (laughs)

YS: But... it's just a forklift!

Q: I think it shows the extent to which forklifts have remained in everyone's hearts.

YS: That's true. In a survey of Shenmue fans, the third most popular thing people wanted to know was whether forklifts would make an appearance in Shenmue 3 (laughs).

Q: (laughs) By the way, approximately 780m yen was raised through the Kickstarter campaign; do you have plans for other ways to accept funding?

YS: I'm planning on accepting funding via PayPal. It is still being coordinated so I can't give details at the moment, but progress is being made on getting it ready.

Q: Depending on the amount of further funding, is there a possibility that stretch goals not reached during the Kickstarter campaign will be included?

YS: I would like to add them if possible. Kickstarter is a non-Japanese site and so I think it may have been hard for Japanese people to use. Even for the mailing address entry, people may have worried that making a slight mistake might result in their rewards not being delivered. So when accepting funding through PayPal, I'd like to ensure it supports Japanese language.

Q: That makes sense. With Japanese support, fans in Japan will feel relieved, won't they. Development work on Shenmue 3 will start in earnest from here, so are there any roles you are particularly looking for to help the development move forward?

YS: I would especially welcome any planners or programmers who would like to work together with us. Development will be carried out with Unreal Engine, so I'd be happy if they have experience in Unreal Engine development as well as in development for the home game market.

Appearance of new characters - and the return of some from the past, such as Nozomi

Q: Next I'd like to ask you in more detail about what kind of game Shenmue 3 will be. Firstly, there wasn't a stretch goal for "Japanese language support" in the stretch goals revealed on the Kickstarter site. But since Masaya Matsukaze has been announced as the voice actor for the lead character of Ryo Hazuki, there will be Japanese-language support, won't there?

YS: That's right. I won't be able to express subtle nuances unless I make it in Japanese first. After the Japanese version we'll make the English version, and then support for other languages will follow.

Q: So although the video for the Kickstarter project had the main character speaking in English, development of the game will be carried out with Japanese voices?

YS: Yes.

Q: I'm sure the fans are wondering who will be cast as voice actors for the Japanese version..?

YS: I haven't decided the cast of voice actors yet. Some of those who were cast for the previous games are no longer active in voice acting, so...

Q: But if you tell them "I'm making Shenmue 3!", maybe they'll come out of retirement for you!

YS: If that happened, I would be really happy. I'd love to have them return.

Q: I hope we can get everyone from the cast to read this interview. So, at the moment are you in the middle of writing the scenarios?

YS: Yes, I'm working on them now, and the main scenario is largely done. I'm discussing with Yoshimoto-san the parts I'd like to expand a bit more [Editor's note: scriptwriter Masahiro Yoshimoto, who is in charge of the scripts for the series].

Q: Have you already started making maps and character models?

YS: No, not yet. They will be done after we've finished adjusting things like the scenario structure and the order in which each of the maps will be traveled to.

Q: Shenmue 3 will feature the three villages of Bailu, Choubu and Baisha, with gameplay differing in each of the villages - could you tell us about the characteristics of each of the villages?

YS: The village of Bailu, which you visit first, is where Ryo ended up at the end of Shenmue 2. You will be exploring the mountain village and the inner depths of the mountains of Guilin. Choubu is more developed than Bailu village, more like a town. The size of the town will be set accordingly for the funding that was achieved through Kickstarter. It looks like I will be able to make its scale slightly larger than I had originally planned. In Choubu you can buy things and carry out quests. You will be able to play minigames, and there will be food stalls, souvenir shops, lodges, temples and other buildings there.

Q: So Bailu village will feature in the story as somewhere to enjoy the scenery, while Choubu will be where you can enjoy open-world gameplay like in the previous game?

YS: Yes, although the word "open-world" may lead to misunderstanding as there are now many great open world games around…. Choubu is a place with "Shenmue-like" gameplay - what I called FREE for the earlier Shenmue games. I consider Bailu village to be a place where you can enjoy spending time with Shenhua. And for Baisha, I'm planning to make it a place where you can play in completely different way from the earlier Shenmue games. It's the place I want to focus on most.

Q: Could you give a little more detail about Baisha?

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/087/158/l_55e03d474bf9e.jpg

YS: It has several enemy hideouts, and you can enjoy the situation of infiltrating one; protecting your friends from external attack as you battle with enemies to take it over. You will not simply be fighting, but will make full use of war tactics that resemble famous tactics from China's Three Kingdoms period, such as the Water Attack or the Fire Attack, as you fight. This may sound very difficult, but I plan to make it straight-forward when you try playing, so please don't worry about that.

Q: In a previous interview, you mentioned being able to change your player character during these operations, didn't you?

YS: That would be the stretch goal that was successfully reached during the Kickstarter, called the Character Perspective system. I'd like to allow you to be able to play not just as Ryo, but also as others like Shenhua and Ren, and clearly portray the characteristics of each of the characters. For example… Shenhua, a girl, wouldn't do something like suddenly hit someone else.

Q: She doesn't seem like the type to do that, does she.

YS: And so, if you have selected Shenhua, you won't have the option to hit. However, if it is Ren, he may well suddenly strike out (laughs). In this way, depending on the character the things you can do differ, and depending on your choice the outcome will change. I'd also like to portray the differences between men and women.

Q: Between men and women?

YS: In the places where Character Perspective occurs, there are events where you advance as a pair. At that time, if you are controlling Ren then he'll be like "Hey, I'm so cool" and try to put on an act, whereas if you control Shenhua she'll look at his posing and think "What an idiot…" - that kind of thing (laughs).

It's something that happens in real life too, right? It is said that if you talk to two people that have had an argument, they will give you completely different stories about it, although they have experienced the same thing. I'd like to express the difference in values between men and women, as well as the kind of everyday life situations that everyone can relate to. I don't think many games have delved into this kind of thing deeply, so I think it will be an attractive new aspect of Shenmue which sets it apart from other games, as well as from the previous chapters.

Q: It makes me want to try controlling various different characters. On that point, I'd like to ask about the characters. Could you tell us about Ren, once again?

YS: Ren is a character who appeared in Shenmue 2, and is the leader of a Hong Kong street gang. He's cunning, intelligent, and skillful at fighting. At first he travels with Ryo from impure motives - "I smell money involved!", but gradually starts to look up to Ryo. I haven't yet mentioned about how Ren makes this transition, but I hope you will enjoy it. Shenmue 3 contains some fun scenes with Ren.

Q: It sounds like Ren will be quite heavily involved in Shenmue 3's story...?

YS: Who knows? (laughs)

Q: We're looking forward to hearing more about that (laughs). Next, could you tell us about Niao Sun, a woman who will make her appearance in Shenmue 3?

YS: She is one of the four Chiyoumen leaders and rules over the South. Ruling over the East is the Blue Dragon ("Sōryū"), Lan Di. Niao Sun is the Flame Empress ("Entei") who rules over the South, and is a beautiful but cruel character. I'm really excited as I'm able to at last portray Niao Sun, in Shenmue 3. [Editor's note: Niao Sun was presented to the public prior to the release of the first chapter of Shenmue, and was introduced in the character introduction video but she did not appear in Shenmue or Shenmue II.]

Q: And in Shenmue 3, Shenhua will finally become fully involved in the story, won't she.

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/087/158/l_55e03d45d7658.jpg

YS: I took a vote on the most popular characters from Shenmue up until now and, most likely because she didn't appear much, Shenhua ranked low. Even after the announcement of the Kickstarter campaign, all I heard was "Please include Nozomi" (laughs). So I've made it possible to make a phone call to Nozomi.

Q: In this next game, it has been announced that there will be parameters that represent your relationship with Shenhua. I believe that in Shenmue 2 Fang Mei also had an affinity parameter - will it be something similar but more in-depth than that? [Editor's note: depending on how favorable her impression of Ryo was, Fang Mei would change how she called him, and special events would take place].

YS: Well, I hadn't really been thinking of Fang Mei.

Q: Are you able to give more details about the parameters for Shenhua at this point?

YS: I haven't finalised them yet, but I'm thinking of setting up around 3 parameters like level of trust, level of intimacy, friendliness toward you… something like these would be the top contenders. With a high level of friendliness, cooperation with Shenhua will go smoothly, that sort of thing. With the Character Perspective which will feature in the latter half of the game, if you choose to play as Shenhua, her true feelings will be revealed, and you may be in for a shock - "So that's what she thinks of me…!" That's something I'd like to try to do. (laughs)

Q: You might find she actually doesn't think much of you! (laughs)

YS: I think male players make up the majority, so I think it will be fun to introduce an element where they will think "Ouch!".

Q: Will the parameters be set up only for Shenhua? Do you plan to set up parameters for any other characters, such as Nozomi?

YS: It would be more enjoyable if there were parameters for other characters too, wouldn't it. For example if you get along too well with Shenhua, Nozomi may get jealous and cut your phone call short with a cool "Oh. Really….". I haven't decided the details yet, but I'll consider it.

End of Part 1
by Switch
Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA TGS 2015 Teaser Website / Lineup

Kiske wrote:To be honest, I mostly care about Sony and third-party Japanese developers conference because of my crazy hopes in some Shenmue related annoucement... :oops:

Same here! That's actually the only reason I've been keeping an eye on this SEGA lineup crap. :D
by Monkei
Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A new book about Yu Suzuki

Hi everyone !

Yu Suzuki's Interview is happening soon but I had some good news to share (specially if you're french).

I've been working as a translator (japanese - french) on a book about Yu Suzuki (his life, what games he created so far etc) written by Benjamin Berget.

Whoever is able to read and understand french and want to preorder it, It's available here :

http://www.geeks-line.com/histoire-du-jeu-video/77-yu-suzuki-le-maitre-de-sega-de-l-arcade-a-shenmue-9791093752068.html

http://www.geeks-line.com/133-thickbox_default/yu-suzuki-le-maitre-de-sega-de-l-arcade-a-shenmue.jpg

Geeks-line company is apparently working on an english translation but it won't come out until next year or that's what I've been told. Once it's official, I'll provide more news.

Oh and just to let you know, I am not getting a single euro out of this project, I've been paid to translate some content, but I am not getting anything from sales, so I hope you won't see my post as some kind of bad advertising.

Now I have to get back to work (interview's content) so I can provide the answers you're all waiting for !

See you soon guys.

Best regards,

David
by DEVILLE_David
Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you think you'll die before S3 release?

SMDzero wrote: What if the world literally ends the day before Shenmue 3 comes out??

My guess is that it would ruin the chances for a fourth installment.
by Jibby
Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue and Streets of Rage soundtracks coming to Vinyl

http://i.imgur.com/cGSvp8I.jpg

London-based Data Discs has announced plans to release Shenmue and Streets of Rage soundtracks to vinyl. Both albums are pressed on 180 gram vinyl and include lithographic prints for each title. Pre-orders will begin on May 30th and offer exclusive editions to those who order early. Each album will come in 3 different editions priced at £19.99.

Source: Polygon
by Ziming
Thu May 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why is Shenmue 1 so different to the sequel?

Shenmue 1 and 2 are both amazing and I have no idea why anyone wants 2 to be more like 1 given they explore completely different themes, ideas, and settings. They're deliberately different. Shenmue 1 is a game about sadness, loss, depression, and being alone. Shenmue II, is how all those emotions can warp and destroy even the nicest kid. Shenmue III, going off of disc 4 of Shenmue II, is going to be about how Ryo can heal as a person and learn to move on past his father's murder.

As for why 1 is different from 2: why not? Who would want to play the same game with the same ideas and themes twice in a row? Both games are perfect compliments to each other.

Here's the thing that Shenmue 1 purists can't fucking understand.

Shenmue 1 takes place in Ryo's hometown. He knows everyone; they know him. He grew up there and it's in the Japanese countryside for the most part, compared to Hong Kong. In Yokosuka, he talks to the people who trim his hair, where he buys his local meat, where the man who lives with him and is practically a brother to him has a crush on the local host girl at a bar. It's deliberately about Ryo's most intimate feelings. More than that, Ryo is like, the top dog in Yokosuka pretty much, and he and Guizhang take on 70 dudes in one giant fight.

Contrast with Hong Kong, a large, massive area of a foreign country where Ryo knows no one and has to start fresh. In Hong Kong, he's fish out of water, and he's just another person. He realizes he's not even that good when it comes to martial arts and there's always someone better than him, or one step ahead of him. Ryo's challenged and pushed and prodded and has to live where he doesn't know a soul as he tries to grow or is pushed into uncomfortable situations that challenge him (airing out books, catching leaves, learning WUDE, going to Kowloon, climbing Ghost Hall building, losing to Dou Niu TWICE).

The fact that Shenmue 1 purists cannot see the deliberate contrast between the two for storytelling purposes is :rotflmao: ](*,) worthy. I personally put and 1 and 2 on par with each other, for they're different games trying to achieve completely different things, but made up as part of a grand franchise. It's kinda of like Star Wars. Sure, you can pick a favorite movie out of the bunch, but what makes Star Wars work is the entire trilogy - the full story.

Ultimately, you must remember that I and II originally were supposed to be one whole game.
by Himuro
Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How did you react to the announcement?

lol my initial reaction:
phpBB [video]

How I feel about us as a community getting this opportunity open for Yu Suzuki.
phpBB [video]
by shengoro86
Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Making of Shenmue

A quick update on the English subtitles: progressing well, and currently at 40%.

Although sometimes catching what Yu is saying to his staff is quite challenging. :)
by Switch
Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

that was actually both shocking and funny...
me and a friend of mine decided to wake up at 4 am to be able to watch the Sony conference live (I live in Italy), and by the time it began we started texting via what's app. He had never played Shenmue before that day but had a lot of respect and curiosity for the franchise.
The Last Guardian, FFVII remake and the game from media molecule made him very happy, and five minutes before Shen3 was announced he was saying: "this conference is the best in years, now they only have to announce Shenmue 3 to obliterate everything else".
I was pessimistic and he replied that maybe we were asking too much...Right after this sentence Shenmue theme started playing, and I jumped from my chair before the text appeared, I immediately sent him an audio message that was something like this: <<NOOOOO, I can't believe it... [laugh mixed with tears], I just can't...can't....“.
After that I started crying with so much joy, it was something I have never felt before (I have no fear to say that, I'm 23 yo)... When Suzuki was invited on stage I sincerely had a little faint, I was touched by his tears, his humility and the passion he was expressing with the look of his eyes.

The result was a huge amount of adrenaline in my body that later wouldn't have made me sleep at all, and in the next couple of days I couldn't stop crying everytime I watched the reveal trailer and mostly the live reaction videos, and still today I have quite goosebumps.
This whole thing touched me really deep for a lot of reasons actually: I went through a very tough time in my life , I was slowly recovering and every day I was happier, and the period of May and June has been a life changing one for me (in a good way). But there was also another thing:
I have my Dreamcast and both Shenmue 1 and 2, but the last time I played the first one was in 2002 because then my brother lent the first 2 discs of Shenmue to someone and they never got back (he doesn't even remember the person who took them), and in 2009 I managed to buy the first 2 discs on Ebay at a very cheap price, but I still couldn't replay the game because my Dreamcast was fried and I kept playing Shen2 on my xbox360 once in a while. On May 2015 I felt this strange urge to find a new Dreamcast because I wanted to re-play the first Shenmue so badly...I found a used and cheap console from a private seller and I did a relaxed playthrough of the first 2 games in a row until the very end of June.
This is why Shen3 was such a shock for me... after all these years I felt the need to make a gift for myself and repeat this experience that had changed my life the same way I did when I was a kid, and right after that the new game was announced....I can't believe this is just a coincidence, after 14 years...
by ShenBlue92
Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 stage in testing

A tweet from Cedric Biscay:

Sounds promising! Great to see that the developers already have a playable stage in testing.
by Switch
Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

Was thinking about ideas for PayPal rewards and I tweeted Cedric and Suzuki about contacting John Sweeney to see if they could get some Shenmue art prints from him. If Suzuki signed them I'm sure there are fans (including myself) who would pay 2-3x as much for them, so Sweeney would still get paid and the PayPal would get a decent contribution:

"@CedricBiscay @Shenmue_3 You contacted J. Sweeney about having his print as PayPal reward? Signed by @yu_suzuki_jp? http://bit.ly/1PnbpCd "

https://twitter.com/resnate/status/646256839236190208
by Amir
Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pre-order Shenmue 3 with PayPal

To be honest it's not a lock in that I will be contributing anymore to Shenmue 3. As much as I'd love to, I will think about it because I feel I have given the project enough money. Plus I have to save up for the trip to Japan next year.

Christmas is coming up, and I was thinking about maybe taking my family away on holiday as a present, I don't know. Plus there quite a few concerts I would like to go to, a lot of upcoming games I want to buy etc.

It's a safe bet to say I wouldn't be able to afford both the statue and the jacket, but even one of them may not be possible. I will have to wait and see how things play out.

But make no mistake, this is not an "investment", it's a passion. A hobby. I have enjoyed this particular game so much that it's extended beyond the television screen, to a tattoo on my arm, to a facination and love for another country, to media and helping Shenmue as much as I can online, to physical collections of pieces which now make up a sizeable Shenmue collection.

My decisions to do what I do have been calculated and quantified by 14 years of experience and emotion, which is fine because this isn't a business deal. I am not paying for a football player to get a return on him. I am helping someone which has helped me craft the life I live. My money not only is going to help develop a piece of gaming history, but also is leading me to a country I wouldn't have had any love for if it hadnt been for the first game. I will get to meet an idol who hasn't just created the game, but so many games which shaped not just my own, so many childhoods and advanced the industry so much over the past 35 years. If anyone doesn't get that or understand that, that's completely fine. But I do, and what I have given this project I would not change in a heartbeat. There are a lot of elements to any life equation, and in my case with Shenmue 3, all those elements were in the right place to make it work. Was it a lot of money? Yes. Can I afford it? Yes. Should I have done something different with that money? No. Why not? Because I did something in life I felt 100% that this is what I wanted to do. Simple.
by Peter
Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 Discussion: The Pivot from Shenmue 2 to 3

Hi all,

I have been doing a Shenmue 3 video discussion series on my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/lordcanti

I would like to invite you all to see my latest segment.
It is regarding the pivot from Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 3.
The video quality is a bit off but the format of series allows it to be listened to like a podcast.
Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/bvJdZ39RyEs
by shengoro86
Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

You can add this HTML code to your website/blog/etc, to promote the Shenmue 3 PayPal campaign:
<div style = "width: 220px; height: 430px">
<a class="embedly-card" href="http://shenmue.link/order/">Shenmue 3 PayPal Campaign!</a>
<script async src="//cdn.embedly.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>
</div>
by Giorgio
Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Do you think you'll die before S3 release?

Incredible to see that this game has an impactance so large in peoples lives, enough to make us wonder if life will last until its release.

You guys are all right. It has some spiritiual thing in it. It's not about the game. But the message it carries...

I only fell this thing couple of times in my life. I feel it with bob marley songs and thinkings. I feel it with Charles Chaplin movies... and I feel it when I loved a woman for the first time.

It is so strong... it has to do with values, it has to do with simplicity, it has to do with love and affection... it has to do with human relationship...

I know you guys feel the same...
by The_Fuzileiro
Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Interview with the Lead Tester for NTSC Shenmue 1 at Seg

Its up!

phpBB [video]
by shengoro86
Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

phpBB [video]
by Giorgio
Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thanking Sony

Why not devote one of the 3rd Tweetathon days to Thank Sony?

I think we would use the 3rd in a better way trying to push the Paypal campaign along the #SaveShenmueHD.

If ever Sony should be "target" of the tweetathon, it should be in my opinion, by asking them to put pressure on SEGA for the HD Collection.

Looking at the Paypal campaign last numbers... we desperately need something to push it :|

Yep agreed, also being grateful as well helps. :)

@giocorsi @amboyes
Thanks Sony for Shenmue III, please also bring Shenmue I & II HD to PS4!

Something along those lines.
by fittersau
Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A new book about Yu Suzuki

Hello,
I do not know what time it is in your country, but here in France, here came the release of my book on Yu Suzuki!
Unfortunately I have not yet received the book, and if I could, believe me, I will push the postman on the back for that pedal faster!
I promise you some pretty pictures when the book will be in my mailbox...
Meanwhile, I took out a beautiful T-shirt SEGA AM2 to mark this day, come see my blog:
http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/platon21/p_115226_le-livre-sur-yu-suzuki-sega-est-disponible-aux-editions-geek
Enjoy!
by Benjamin Berget
Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Interview with Shenmue’s Creative Director

Yes, it was even the first interview we got. You can see all the interviews in the Shenmue Dojo youtube channel, they're subbed in English and French with the original voice.

The reason why Hirai is trying to go in the water is still a little intriguing.
by Yokosuka
Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vote Shenmue as the most anticipated game

http://www.favslist.com/MostAnticipatedGames

1) Register
2) Make Shenmue 3 number one
3) Fill all the rest of your list because more you add games on your list, more your higher game gets points.

-----
Jun 21, 2015
Two days ago, it was at #36. Today it has reached the top 10. Keep it up to give Shenmue 3 the maximum publicity!

Do the same with any community gaming site you belong if it is possible.
by Yokosuka
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yesterday I dreamed about Shenmue 3 :rotflmao: :roflmao: It was about that tech demo that Cedric tweeted about.

It started with a snowy place, showing the new weather engine, there were rabbits deers and other animals there, then the camera panned out, a lot of flowers in blossom and petals started to fly around the sky, in a beautiful manner, and suddenly it changed to a beautiful spring with green mountains and hills plenty of life.

A figure appeared from the distance, it was Shenhua, she was walking around the environment, she seemed very happy and plenty of life too, her outfit was different but similar to her traditional one, she was wearing a hat and had longer hair than before ( I know it makes no sense, but I don't have control over my dreams xD)
While she was walking she meet Ryo, our Ryo, it was the CG Ryo xD, and then when everything was getting interesting I woke up T_T

In my dream Shenhua's dress was gorgeous, I am not very good at drawing, but I tried to make a sketch of the basics.

http://i.imgur.com/vCYtkZL.jpg

Man I wish I could take a photo out of my Dream that whole thing was gorgeous.
by Esppiral
Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SHENMUE GAIDEN ANNOUNCED!!!

Late night playing Shenmue Gaiden. A joy to play, but very time consuming to produce. It's Shenmue though, so can't complain too much

We're still on track for a demo release this year.

25th December. Christmas day :D

A lot more updates to come in October

http://i.imgur.com/LVhci7O.png

This looks amazing. Any chance other platforms could get this?

Oh yes. I wont say which ones though, not until im 100% certain i can make it happen. For now, the only current working version is on PC.

Any updates? :D

More in October, I promise.
by ShenSun
Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay Tweet to Keanu Reeves...
https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/649158160574496768

http://i61.tinypic.com/20hmwsm.png

That's where I start to dream about a Shenmue related collaboration :-o

That's not Keanu's Twitter account (he doesn't have one). I tweeted Cedric to contact the Screen Actor's Guild instead.

I think it's more likely he wants Keanu for Shibuya's Astro Boy remake than for Shenmue III.
by Amir
Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've sent an email to Cedric about this (no confirmation mail, shipping fees charged while it was supposed to be free) etc.

There's a lack of communication coming from Awesome Japan who is in charge of the campaign and It's really hurting it.

I will get back to you whenever (and If) I get a reply.

By the way, I have something to ask you :

What would you like to see added to the Slacker Backer Campaign page ? What kind of content are you looking forward to ? Do you expect some things ?

If I can backup and provide your feedback to someone else in charge, I will. I can't guarantee anything but we have to make sure this Paypal campaign provide the best results for Shenmue III.

Thanks for your feedback guys.
by DEVILLE_David
Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: So is Shenmue NOT mass market?

10.6 Million dreamcasts sold worldwide, an estimated 1.2m copies of Shenmue 1 were sold. That's a good conversion rate. The dreamcast was in its coffin by the time Shenmue 2 was released on the dc (late 2001 in Europe, no dc release of s2 in NA) the system was dead and buried. I was a hardcore fan of the series after Shenmue 1 and I can remember only coming across finding a copy of 2 in store by chance, I didn't even know the game was out at the time. There were no advertisements that I could remember.

When Shenmue 2 came out on the Xbox a year later, again, there was very little advertisement of the game and Europeans had no real reason to re-purchase the game if they had already bought it on dreamcast a year earlier. Then you have to take into account that the original Xbox wasn't selling particularly well at the time itself. Another crucial error was the decision to not re-release Shenmue along with Shenmue 2 on the Xbox, I'd assume that this isolated many potential newcomers to the series.

I honestly think that the reason the Shenmue series didn't become mass market was largely down to the games being on consoles that sold poorly at the time. Along with some bad marketing decisions.
by Chaikilla
Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cedric has replied to my mail. Regarding the discussed problems he's going to contact the people in charge. So the feedback has been done on my part, we have to wait now.

About new rewards, I will tell him about it as soon as possible.

Have nice day guys !
by DEVILLE_David
Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Like most people, I stopped getting my hopes up and ignored E3 for years. As much as I hate the website, I sometimes check the Dreamcast boards on GameFAQs. Someone posted a thread about Yu making that twitter post and it really got me thinking. I concluded that if the creator were to mislead us like that, I would consider giving up hope... but part of me felt like he wouldn't do that to us. I was doubtful but my conscious told me to check out the conference.

I had the event streaming live on my TV. At first, I paid attention to it but quickly became hopeless and turned my chair to my computer to play my online game and completely stopped paying attention yet left it running. I don't remember exactly what I said but as soon as I heard the song start, I freaked out and quickly turned back. I said "omg" and "holy shit" plenty of times eventually. I couldn't sit still. I was flipping out so much that I missed most of what was being said... which very quickly made me scared that it was just an announcement for HD remakes (this seemed to happen in a lot of reaction videos). I kept shouting "remake or three?! remaster or sequel?!" or something along those lines. Part of me was almost ready to scream and cry "don't do this to me!!!". After it was confirmed, I couldn't stop my body from trembling, my heart was racing so fast that I was having chest pains, and I was sweating. I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs but I was temporarily in a place where the walls were very thin, so I couldn't.

Like someone else said, despite how overwhelming this was, part of me was offended that one of the best announcements of my life was being forced into public funding... big corporate business backed away for financial fears and acted like this was some homebrew that they didn't want to lose out on. But it wasn't enough to ruin the moment. I donated $500 to kickstarter, couldn't calm my tremors or heart for nearly a hour, and I only slept for 2 hours that night. The next day, I shed a tear or two. Also like others have said, I spent hours and hours watching reaction videos and couldn't believe how much joy they brought me - I've archived many of them. For weeks, I would watch Michaels reaction multiple times per day - it made me so happy to see.
by xbluemystx
Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NoconKid (Shenmue HD) working on Shenmue III :)

The point is: Nocon Kid is pretty awesome… even if he doesn’t speak d*ck.
by punkmanced
Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NoconKid (Shenmue HD) working on Shenmue III :)

To make matters worse, Japanese is possibly the hardest language in the world to learn

No it's not. English is harder. You can learn kana in a week. If pressed, 2,000 kanji in six months. The grammar is flexible and simple, and words are easy to pronounce because they're consistent.

I wrote a guide on how to learn Japanese without taking a single class. You can read it here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oVDcceI8S_yw2kKEQs6uDfJ6L7IBx2btZjpTSRM8iNc/edit

the Japanese language was never designed to allow complex interactions with people

What the hell are you talking about?

Japanese is highly practical. Far more practical than English for example. Everything within it fits and works. You have no idea what you're talking about.
by Himuro
Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic