Search found 819 matches

Return

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

I'm currently working on the Guilin music compilation video. Aiming to get it done by the end of the month.

by Ziming
Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lan Di? Just a man.

Kiske wrote:
Beeing a martial arts master doesn't give you the ability to fly.

Wrong

by shredingskin
Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

I find their interpretation of the poll results dumb, but what frustrates me the most is 90%+ of the time, they are the cause of the negativity surrounding Shenmue 3.

Im gonna go ahead and say it, something needs to be done about this company sooner rather than later. There's been too many mistakes and errors that have had a negative impact on Shenmue.

Im 100% certain the KS could have reached 7 - 8 million if AJ didn't continuously screw things up. I mean we've turned a blind eye several times to their nonsense and given them chance after chance, but lets be real, this will happen again and again, im certain of that.

Research past media reports and analysis videos and you'll see they are the cause of most of the problems.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvy0yzgVWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwphQVMDJvY

These guys are getting paid good money to do a relatively easy and amazing job in its own right, but they still fuck up. They are responsible for media relations, communication and the campaign itself, yet they make no attempt to promote the campaign, no attempt to gather further support, no attempt to communicate or make exclusive deals with media outlets to gain further interest, etc, etc.

We, the fans have done everything since Shenmue 3 has been announced. We've promoted, we've used our youtube friends to spread the word, we've created new campaigns, made exclusive deals with companies such as first four figures, Corey Marshall, etc etc etc. Some of us have been keeping the dream alive over on other message boards and damage controlling like crazy to clear up doubts and confusion. Doubts and confusion that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

You have to ask yourself, why are we doing everything??? We all have jobs, study etc, yet we still find time to continuously push Shenmue 3 for the greater good, for free i might add. It comes from passion and Love. These guys dont do anything, and its their full time job????

Awesome Japan clearly have no real interest in the project. The sad fact is, they'll be able to take full credit for the most successful KS ever and they didnt do fuck all to help.

Maybe this situation is a lot more complex, but as a backer who has placed around $1000 into the project, im unhappy with the way things are going. Personally, if i was apart of the project in a more executive manner, like cedric or Sony, Id fire these guys as soon as possible, or pay their contract off, so that they could be replaced by a more competent team.

#SaveShenmuefromAwesomeJapan
by ShenSun
Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We can expect a new update in the coming times as AJ sent me an email :
Hello Yokosuka,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

We will do our best to clear up this misunderstanding as we are certainly not retiring any existing Paypal rewards.

Thank you very much for your support and for keeping an eye out for us.

Best regards,

Oscar &
The Shenmue 3 Team

Could you slip in a new screenshot or something related to Shenmue III AJ ? That would be too bad to make an official update to thousands of backers just for this. :)
by Yokosuka
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised."

Is it me or a lot of media interpreted wrongly this AJ's sentence ? I don't remember AJ stated any promises about making the Kickstarter exclusive rewards available for Paypal backers.
by Yokosuka
Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1.) We will have to expect that some of those who backed the PayPal are probably not well informed about the nature of the situation and will be induced by the Anti-Shenmue Gaming Media and Troll Brigade to ask for refunds.

I know it's a sad thing to see happen, but we have to look at things for what they are.

2.) As some people said, as much as we have to blame "Awesome" Japan for all of this, we have to call to task the people behind the series as well.

I mean, it is clear that Ys Net and Shibuya Productions are signing off on many of the things AJ is doing and it would be foolish and immature to ignore that. Thus, it is their responsibility to go over what they have approved of to avoid something similar from happening again.

3.) At the risk of sounding redundant, the best thing for the people behind the series to do now would be to offer unique rewards for the PayPal backers. It will shut down the perception that they intended to do this all along, assuage hurt feelings and stop the current Anti-Shenmue attacks.
by VukBZ2005
Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The biggest problem here is the poor wording AJ have used in there kickstarter update, which has made people who aren't in the know like us, think that what they're actually saying is as bad as it reads. So everyone spreading the false information has literally read that line as non of the rewards will be offered to Paypal backers. As in, everyone who has already backed using the Paypal site can just wave bye to their money and they won't even get the game. That's the way the information is being spread around at the moment. I tried to correct every comment on that Polygon link, because the response from users was so naive it's untrue, but unfortunately I guess some automated system banned me for "spamming", so non of my replies have stood.

It's a shame this is happening, because it is truely damaging, it's not just this one news website, and it's not even the others, it's the combination of them all, and the users that are reading this misinformation who then in turn spread it aswell. This is literally a complete fuck up by AJ, and it's crazy that it hasn't been corrected by now. Everything seems to take them so long. Why are they allowing the game, and the campaign to be shat on like this, the internet is full enough of trolls in general, but feeding them something like this to farm off, and not trying to stop it, makes them seem plausible.

I know it's disgusting the way these sites and news outlets work looking for clickbait, and right now I wouldn't expect them to report any good things about the project, or if AJ had corrected the misinformation, I wouldn't expect them to make a big headline about it, they're only looking for the negatives of course...I don't know if this particular story is fixable right now - but they haven't even tried as of yet which is making the whole situation rather stressful, watching random people bash the game series based on something that isn't remotely affecting the quality of the game.
by James Brown
Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Awesome Japan

Awesome Japan is the real life Asia Travel Company.
by Taren Fox
Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Statement Regarding PayPal/Slacker Backer Rewards

Dear Members,

In light of the recent controversy regarding the active PayPal Slacker Backer campaign and the respective polling that was conducted, we at the Dojo feel that it is important to set the record straight and to provide the community at-large with an accurate briefing on what has transpired.

Following up an initial earlier poll that was posted via Twitter, a second poll was conducted which was open to all backers of the Kickstarter campaign which terminated many months ago. This poll, which ran from 12/24/2015 to 1/01/2016, asked participants whether or not Kickstarter “Exclusive Rewards” should be made available for the Slacker Backer campaign. While the results of the polling and the responses from the over 15,000 participants were rather mixed, it was ultimately decided that the “Exclusive” Rewards would not be made available on the PayPal page as originally stipulated.

Following this announcement within the Kickstarter Project Update #51, there was much confusion and uncertainty regarding the status and validity of the entire PayPal campaign. It was postulated by some that all backers of the campaign would not receive the rewards they thought they confirmed with their contributions, with some going further to state that the backers would receive no rewards at all. This could not be farther from the truth and is a gross misrepresentation of what has been announced by Awesome Japan & YS Net. To be clear: ALL EXISTING PAYPAL REWARDS (ARE) WILL REMAIN INTACT AND ARE NOT AFFECTED BY THE RECENT POLL. THIS LATEST POLL ACTED MERELY TO ASCERTAIN WHETHER REWARDS THAT HAD BEEN OMITTED FROM THE ORIGINAL KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN SHOULD BE INCLUDED ADDITIONALLY IN THE PAYPAL CAMPAIGN. NO REWARDS ARE BEING TAKEN AWAY FROM ANY BACKERS; ONLY NO ADDITIONAL REWARDS WILL BE ADDED FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OR INTEND TO CONTRIBUTE VIA PAYPAL.

It is important to note that Awesome Japan has in-fact addressed this issue directly to fans who have inquired about their methodology. In a response to this inquiry they stated: “…While the votes in favor of removing exclusivity marginally outnumbered those against, they did not represent a majority opinion in the poll. The poll numbers do show that there are also many backers who do not wish to give up their exclusive rewards. We feel that the logical conclusion to these results is to leave exclusivity as it is because there was not enough support to justify making an exception to go back on our original promise.” While there have been instances in which Awesome Japan has presented developments regarding Shenmue 3 in a rather unclear and ambiguous manner, they nevertheless have proven to be passionate and dedicated towards the greater project and all of us in the community should continue to vest our confidence in them. As with any project with this scope and unprecedented magnitude, there are bound to be mistakes that will occur and it is essential for all us to remain united in our cause and to not pass rash judgment on them or on fellow community members; such conduct will only serve to impede the proper release of the game that we have waited over a decade to have in our collective midst.

We as a community have persevered through much over the past few years, which makes what we have achieved in the past 6 months that much more remarkable and inspiring. However, we must recognize that our journey has not yet concluded and that there is still much we can contribute towards the realization of our dream of having Shenmue 3 become a reality. A major part of this contribution is to facilitate a community which is open and embracing to all who find value through the experience of Shenmue and the sharing of what the series represents to each of us. Let us not forget about the diversity in perspective and point of view that exists within our community and let us coalesce these outlooks to make our voices heard in fruitful ways.

Thank you for your time and as always: Keep Friends.

The Shenmue Dojo Staff
by Sean
Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is getting completely out of hand now, i'm seeing more and more clickbait news sites and people talking about how no one is receiving their rewards if they backed via paypal. Everyone reading and watching these stories are taking this as the truth and spreading their own hate towards the game. It's really getting on my tits now. Just seen this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfEvJ3VYQPs - and while I don't want to give them views and clicks, these videos need down votes and comments to correct the false bullshit they're getting in gamers heads. We're going to have a really poor launch if every new potential player writes the game off without playing it because of all the "bad" things they heard about it while it was being made. If you do go on that video and see my comment (username TheSkillJim), upvote my comment aswell so it gets higher up for people to see.
by James Brown
Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open-World Shenmue 3?

Last Yu's thought about open world : http://otakumode.com/news/55c62e97887d92a516b043ae/Interview-with-Yu-Suzuki-Producer-of-the-%E2%80%9CShenmue%E2%80%9D-Series?page=3
When Shenmue was released, we didn’t use the term “open world.” At the time, digging deep into multiple subjects at the same time would have caused imbalances in the budget, so delving into one subject at a time was mostly common sense. The reason for that is that if you divide 10 resources for 10 subjects, you can only get a performance ratio of one. However, if you put 10 resources to one subject, you can dig 10 times deeper, achieving an accordingly higher performance, and this is why games at the time shared the theory of delving deeper into just a few themes. However, by applying the above-mentioned automatic programming method, you can raise the performance per subject above one, which disproves this theory.

Otaku Mode journalist : This way, the program covers for human costs.

S: Exactly. For instance, even if it’s made with few resources, if you can get good performance by making free use of the program, you can make it possible to enjoy a taste of 10 different themes in one game. Taking the army knife used on mountains as an example, there was a theory stating that since all of its available functions are crude, you would be better off having just one knife. But the improvement of technology caused all the qualities of the knife to improve, thus prompting a change in our sense of value. This is a similar situation. Shenmue was the first in the game industry to have crossed that boundary of values.

At that time, I said, “Let’s improve the degree of freedom and increase the number of options,” and I often used the word “free” as opposed to “open world.” At some point, “free” became “open world,” and putting aside whether it’s the same thing with what I had in mind, the genre for which Shenmue had first set in motion expanded, and games such as the Grand Theft Auto series appeared on the world market. I was told by many game creators, “We were able to create an open world game thanks to Shenmue,” and, “It influenced me, thank you,” so not only I am happy to have made it, I am also immensely grateful to everyone who helped in expanding the concept of Shenmue.

Reminder about Dobuita size (keep in mind that Choubu will have vertical places like Kowloon-like buildings)
http://i.imgur.com/9HdnTAH.png
http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/28/27950/thumb_620x2000/15.jpg

Yakuza 4 map :
https://i.imgur.com/WFguNf1.jpg

The aesthetic of Choubu (a mix of Kowloon and Fenghuang) :
https://i.imgur.com/FZGw3ps.jpg

Pictures from real life Guilin (you can even see pictures of the Shenmue II cave) :
https://500px.com/search?tag=Guilin&type=photos

Google maps to visualize what 2km x 2km could mean lol, by observing a familiar place :
https://www.google.com/maps/ (right click on the map and click on "measure distance" to draw a line)
by Yokosuka
Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Translation requests here!

Not sure if it's readable but what is written about Steven Spielberg and multi CPU usage on the powerpoint ?
https://i.imgur.com/cH2ms7H.jpg
Quite a few words were too blurred to be legible but here's a summary based on what I could make out or guess.

As you said, it looks like this slide was part of the talk event by Yu (& Takeuchi) in March 2015 on the topic of being a game developer.

"Open World: breaking new ground / Steven Spielberg"

Steven Spielberg once visited Sega and AM2, around the period when he was preparing to launch GameWorks. During the visit, Spielberg asked me for his autograph since his son Max was a fan of Virtua Fighter. One thing Spielberg said, rather sheepishly, that particularly left an impression on me was, "Kids prefer games to movies!".

Games should be designed so that children can play them time and again without growing bored. Interactivity plays an important part in this. Having characters/monsters moving in predictable patterns should be avoided.

Recently, games have much larger game fields through the use of external servers and databases. This will greatly expand the potential of open-world games even further. They will allow a huge number of people to be supported, even more than with MMOs, and who can participate from anywhere, at anytime. It will allow for more realistic worlds to be created. It will open up a new world of entertainment. If there are 100,000 players participating then effectively you have a 100,000 multi-CPU game.
by Switch
Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

Peter wrote: Ok, thanks to David from Shenmue Master, there was no video. It was more of a slideshow. Just in case people are looking for a video of some sorts, as previously reported from JapanFM.
by Peter
Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ok, thanks to David from Shenmue Master, there was no video. It was more of a slideshow. Just in case people are looking for a video of some sorts, as previously reported from JapanFM.

JapanFM seemed to talk about a video presentation for February, not the slideshow of yesterday. But couldn't find confirmation neither. I only heard the confirmation of an exclusive presentation of Shenmue III by Yu Suzuki during the event from one source.

Here's what you can expect from your trip to Magic Monaco :heart:

According their Facebook teasing, there is also a possibility that Shibuya will make a surprise announcement following Astroboy Reboot in 2014 and Shenmue III in 2015.
by Yokosuka
Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New Shenmue 3 Screens - MAGIC 2016 Press Conference (Video)

Video recorded and translated by Shendream (Shenmue Master)

phpBB [video]
by Ziming
Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Master released a conference video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEfWPzuHrI

- The Shenmue III & Suzuki parts lasted only some minutes and no question about the game have been asked by the journalists.

- From 10:42 (about Suzuki as guest)
"We will be fortunate to get pictures and video of Shenmue III as worldwide exclusivity during the event. He will held a conference and a signing session."

- From 41:41 (screenshots release)
"As I said you before, there will normally be a teaser in MAGIC. For sure, a lot of new things will be shown. Today we wanted to expose you a mini-preview with 3 pictures. It's not a big deal but I only want to demonstrate that the development is progressing. It's WIP, we're at a very early stage of the production so obviously shenmue III is not going to look like that in the final version but considering what I've said, it's not bad at all."

"That aren't pictures specifically made for the conference, I only ask Yu to send me screenshots and he did so with no problem. It's a little taste of what we can show for MAGIC and I think we'll get a pretty exceptional conference for all gaming lovers."

Other infos not related with Shenmue :
- Cédric is pride that a lot of foreigners among the visitors are coming as it's still a little event. About 50 American people are expected because of Shenmue III and Romita according him.

- Simultaneous interpreting for all conferences

- Japanese embassy of France is the partner of MAGIC (memo : The place where the press conference has been held is mainly funded by the Japanese government).

- Magic is free (entrance, photos with guests, signing etc.) and there will be no shop. The places are limited to keep the event very friendly.

- Make the event free has been possible thanks the sponsors. Cédric was grateful to his sponsors during the conference.

- Amano highly praised Magic 2015 (Straight after, Cédrid joked "I didn't gave him money" )

- Q : Why will Magic only last one day ?
Cédric : The first reason is economic. The rent becomes very expensive over several days because we can't fill the loss of earnings with paying visitors and paying exhibitors (as the MAGIC is free). So we prefered to do a very exceptional day rather than an event divided into days. As we have not the need to fill a big warehouse like classic events, the idea is really to do our very own and intimate event (the registrations to the event are limited, you need to subscribe before). To make myself clear, the first MAGIC in 2015 should only have been a gala dinner for the opening of Sibuya Prod at Monaco as a promotional event. As we have a lot of star friends in these sectors (animation, manga, gaming), the dinner get bigger and bigger. Then the idea to share these moments with the public came out and the MAGIC became what it is now. [...]
by Yokosuka
Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Get hype!

But I don't think it'll be a Shenmue HD collection. That's firmly in SEGA's hands from what we've been told since last summer.

I do think they'll try making a splash with Shenmue 3 progress though. A teaser trailer might be on the cards, but I don't think they're far enough along in development. Maybe we'll get some in-depth explanations of game mechanics and test videos.

Remember that Shibuya is a production company.
If it's not Shenmue HD (yes, it's in SEGA's hands but they already allowed Suzuki and Shibuya to Kickstart Shenmue 3, so a deal for HD remasters is not completely impossible) it's probably going to be an important project. Something similar as Astro Boy reboot or some other popular franchise.

Anyway... I'm hyped =P~
Shibuya would be an unnecessary middle man for Shenmue HD though, really. They've indirectly done the hard work by making Shenmue a hot property again, and SEGA would be reluctant to cut another company in on something they already know could be a success. Cedric is either teasing Shenmue 3 or something else.

I don't think Yu and Cedric are totally in the dark about what SEGA may or may not be planning though, but they certainly don't have to push for it to happen now Shenmue 3 made Kickstarter history and broke three records.
by Spaghetti
Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue Animation

Twitter user AStartShow has posted a 12 second clip of his Shenmue animation he did back in 2014. He mentioned in a response to another Twitter user that it was meant to be a "much longer Shenmue animation". I wonder if we could get him to finish it, perhaps even to help push the Slacker Backer campaign some more?

http://i.imgur.com/L2GDkUX.png

The short clip can be viewed here . It's really amazing work, actually.
by Sonoshee
Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help making a list of KS/Paypal Backer Exclusive Content

Yeah, I agree, when its side by side its not that bad (but still not perfect, there is still conflicting information). But try telling that to these idiots that think they are going to have gameplay missing because they didnt back the kickstarter and now dont want to back via paypal. Well hopefully the guy that specifically wanted a PS4 physical copy will still come through now that he knows its not to late to get it. It was aggrevating and hard to read some of these comments about the Shenmue 3 kickstarter, some of the people just really hate it for some reason. :no:

I did a check the day the results of that idiotic poll were revealed and everyone lost their shit. People whining about how it was "collectors" who even voted no to make their items more valuable.

I didn't bother even arguing because we have so many aaard keyboard warriors just looking for a shouting match. No point. If anyone of the pissy winers actually bothered to check, there wasn't a single physical item that was available during the Kickstarter that isnt available right now. Actually to the contrary, the Paypal is the only donation platform to actually have exclusives of its on, and ironically enough, those exclusives are physical items. If anyone has donated and got all the small items, but want the jacket or the sculpture, then the option is there just to donate and get these items singularly. You don't have to donate extra and get all the smaller stuff with it when you may already have it.

Another thing is, ok, if the debate is that the higher tier rewards are prohibiting more money coming in from people who may want to get those rewards, then fair dos. That's a good argument and I can't disagree. But, if people are arguing about them being exclusive, then you have to realise they are just exclusive to the buyer. Why does anyone want a fishing rod with someone else's name on it? Or a food stall ran by another doner? Or spend hours looking for someone else's name hanging in the temple?

The whole exclusivity argument across the community on the face of it, was as big a joke as the fuck up Awesome Japan with the entire process that was "the poll". They were not losing anything, or being handicapped by losing out on any exclusivity that would have affected the community as a group, but only as an individual. And I very much doubt a majority of the people that were doing the shouting were not going to purchase those higher priced rewards for their own personal in game content.
by Peter
Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Help making a list of KS/Paypal Backer Exclusive Content

I'm not sure whether or not this must be considered "gameplay" but the S3 WORLD TELECOM phone-card to call Nozomi, Guizhang Chen, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, or other characters from Shenmue 1 & 2 is Kickstarter exclusive and won't be available for Paypal backers.

Ebay in January 2018 will be flooded with these phone cards... at $100 starting bids... Calling it now :P
by Sonoshee
Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Clay Model Phoenix Mirror

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, one time poster on an account that has long been lost.

When I was introduced to the world of Shenmue on the Sega Dreamcast in 2000 I was immediately enraptured by existence of the Dragon and Phoenix Mirrors. What was their purpose, how would they be used? Were they truly integral to the life of Ryo Hazuki, Lan Di, and those around them, or were the Mirrors just a clever plot device used by Yu Suzuki to propel the story forward, a clever axis on which everything pivots?

Either way, I wanted them. And I wanted them badly. In fact, my inability to have them forced me to change focus and start collecting Resident Evil merchandise, of which I now I have a fairly impressive, and ever growing, collection. http://imgur.com/a/jJbjU .

Back on point. I found myself with an Amazon gift card recently, and my mind was drawn back to the days of lusting for a copy of the Mirrors, so I did what anyone would do and I bought myself a pound and a half of Sculpey. On Tuesday I began working on the Phoenix Mirror, creating the base, and yesterday I began on the Phoenix. After a few hours of working today I threw in the towel in posted a picture of my creation (so far) to the Shenmue 500k Facebook group. It was very well received, which made me think of sharing it here.

Keep in mind that this is very much a work in progress, and that a lot of revision and addition has to happen(not to mention beginning work on the Dragon Mirror), but I'm hoping that by sharing my work here the community might offer me advice and criticism, tips and tricks, and, of course, find their own will to create such works. My plan for today is to revise the Phoenix, and hopefully make it accurate to the feather count in the original model.

Please enjoy.

http://i.imgur.com/k9WN4sW.jpg?1
by GameRoomsRising
Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[...] My most favourite moment is when Ryo found herbs while walking and tell Shenhua about it. He picks them up and gave them to Shenhua; she is very grateful, to the point that she try to give a kiss to Ryo! :heart: So adorable and cute. However, Ryo makes an uncomfortable facial expression, stands back and then says that they better move on. Shenhua follows him and giggles cutely for a moment. Haha. - She is definitely the future love interest of Ryo. After all, at some point Ryo mentions about the girl he is seeing in his dreams, during a discussion (I think) with Fangmei about love (or something similar).
Made a .gif of what I was talking about...

http://i.imgur.com/zLsotvO.gif
by Giorgio
Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shengoro86's Shenmue Videos

Following Bluemue's Thread, I wanted to archive my Youtube Videos and Podcasts in 1 spot.

Here you will find all of my videos (150+) in one spot sorted by types of videos. IE Hacking Tutorials, Interviews, Conceptual Hacking, etc.

I hope you guys like them!

Not all videos are archived here yet!

Archive Status
60%

Main Channel Link
http://www.youtube.com/lordcanti

---------------------
Shenmue 3 Discussion Series
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qANPgu-172A&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=8

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaWkA3XrSCc&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=7

Part 3 (Section 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsq4524jXx8&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=6

Part 3 (Section 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrrf_32fFo&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=5

Part 4: Unused Assets in Shenmue 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-XJYkmHhBk&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=4

How I feel about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOzuH9y7KeA&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=3

Part 5 (Section 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJdZ39RyEs&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=2

GDC Tiles Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8lnnb9OGok&list=PLiWD6oOaJEASlSM02m7lv168QiV2If4UE&index=1

---------------------

Shenmue Dicussion Videos
Shenmue 2 Mini Dicussion: Bad Ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g4OH_s3Q1w&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=1

How I got into Shenmue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QvNsWx2_fg&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=5

Shenmue 3 Reaction Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yEQx9FqM8g&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=21

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Video: Manabu Takimoto's In-Game Character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPtgLRKUyKE&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=26

Shenmue Theory: Where Does Lan Di Take Shenhua's Power?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ahSz7JBvQ&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=34

Day in the Life of a Shenmue Fanatic Part 3 (Check other section for Parts 1 and 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxLfv0-I-F4&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=25
---------------------

Shenmue Mod Videos + Conceptual Technique Developments
PS3 Placeholder Icons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KtcRu11zE8&index=1&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue HD PS3 Placeholder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuZa46f6unA&index=10&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue 2 Specific Hack: Secret Door in Tea Break Building
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0fQCTeo--0&index=2&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue 2 Golden Quarter Hack (Go onto King's Road!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY2F5A5WxiI&index=3&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue 2 Hack Shenhua's Flashback Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTygxeZBBoo&index=4&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue 2 Invisible Ryo Glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM41zzcYkt0&index=5&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue 2 Undub Mod Footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbnlvkST-RQ&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=6

Shenmue Hacking & Bike Mod 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhMfrDOLb0&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=7

Shenmue Bike Mod and Meetup Update Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EouyLWfmeKM&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=9

Shenmue 2 Hack: Stay Up All Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYCZm3jZw2g&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=11

Shenmue Glitch: Flying Ryo in Dobuita
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC7IL2hj508&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=14

Shenmue 2 Hack: Walk Around Xuying/Zimings House (Flashback Scene)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbyJCGVu0B0&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=15

Shenmue 2 Hack: Lan Di Steals Ryo's Bag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFTCWxxGmI&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=16

Shenmue 2 Hack: Fight Lan Di (Final Boss Mod v.9Alpha)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K32GcxjXYSo&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=17

Shenmue 2 Hack/Glitch Play QTE Title with Ryo's Bag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBhab6eBiss&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=18

Shenmue Hack: Beta Yamanose in HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziQ3gCOnUA&index=19&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Hack: Beta Sakuragaoka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5P0JZLIH-w&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=21

Shenmue Hack: Goro's Kitten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwwf_RGRyzk&index=24&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Hack : Forklift Mod - Dobuita First Peek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h605Mb52Z_g&index=25&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Creepy Shenmue Hack: A Kitten Named Ryo (TEST) AI Hijacking Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY4KpWxCORo&index=26&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Hack: Go Anywhere outside the Hazuki Residence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEon1w-OP8M&index=29&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Hack: Walk Through Walls at The Harbor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GKRCkqNDA&index=30&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Custom Xbox UnleashX Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2IcTGeufsg&index=34&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Quick Hack: Ryo Fights Children
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZIrGflXmr4&index=39&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Quick Hack: Modified Bag Theft Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpH8qvdQUM0&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=40

Shenmue Hack: Modded Bag Theft QTE Fight Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJxSlt_sdk&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=41

Shenmue Hacking: Fused Maps Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR9GcbIONIg&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=42

Shenmue Hack: Load Time Movements on Bicycle (AI Hijacking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1OMqfdRmw&index=43&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Mod Test: Adam Koralik Shenmue 500K Mod (COGH)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUquVE-84o&index=46&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Mod Test: Shenmue 500K Mod Test 2 : Fukusan's Room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7CLJ49icNg&index=47&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Hack: Explore Sakuragaoka in HD with No-Clip Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCuX9sOvgC8&index=48&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Hack: Explore Yamanose in HD with No-Clip Mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvHU6mmVunQ&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=49

---------------------
Shenmue Hacking Tutorials

Shenmue Hacking 101: Play as a Different Character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Uqpah9KkU&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=23

Shenmue Hacking 101: Swapping NPCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XvBBW-hvJA&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=27

Shenmue Hacking 101: Walk Through Walls (No-Clip Mode)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf44guVdYZQ&index=32&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Shenmue Hacking 101: Basic Notebook Hacking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MPV6LMn9cw&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=38

Shenmue Exploration Mod Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWh90cYhHo&index=33&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

How To Emulate Shenmue on PC: Setting Up NullDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMvNwi7Xu6I&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm&index=36

How to Mod your Xbox for Shenmue 2 Hacking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhO5ElrG08k&index=20&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm
---------------------

Shenmue Interviews
Mike Rhinehart - Lead NTSC Beta Tester for Shenmue 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LzGRZrt8Ng&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=33

---------------------

Shenmue Campaign Videos
Shenmue 500K Admin Meetup (Courtesy of Talib M)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECC2w1_oot8&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=12

Yakuza 5 GioCorsi Thank you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n1znbPVaBM&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=14

Dr. Robotnik Wants Shenmue 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOXR0ueK1lo&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=9

Robotnik Sings The Shenmue Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG_UTsrvD8k&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=15

---------------------

Unboxing Videos and Reviews

Shenmue 15th Anniversary Japanese Shenmue Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oLMShkb8YE&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=16

US Shenmue Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ImmGMZ4__4&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=18

Review: What's Shenmue VHS Tape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z20bbsH4hEI&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=20

Shenmue Unofficial Merchandise Review: Hazuki Family Crest Sword Handguard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4xqiGYgc4&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=29

---------------------

In-Depth Let's Plays

What's Shenmue (HD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bbXzdre-U&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=8

Shenmue (NTSC) HD Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U9-Ah8dRwk&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=10

---------------------

Podcasts
I Got Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16K3R6L_Ons&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=19

Old Geek Young Geek Podcast (ITunes)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/old-geek-young-geek/id978220148?mt=2#

---------------------

A Day In The Life of a Shenmue Fanatic Series

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk5VwmSCrJ4

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0O1Jxz8dVo&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=24

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxLfv0-I-F4&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=25

---------------------

Misc Skits
Ryo Drinks a Four Loko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sptkpjM3xE&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=17

Goro Impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2QY5WbVOIY&list=PLiWD6oOaJEATqN_-L6J-TtAMP9UuSfZQY&index=36

Shenmue Arnold Schwarznegger Dub!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRW9JPHDzU&index=13&list=PLiWD6oOaJEARp8RNLE1Q3mdFD_qf7D5Tm

Bluemue's Thread:
http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46812
by shengoro86
Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Weekly AM2 article: Young Ryo's meal recipe

Here is a translation of an article published in the Weekly AM2 online magazine in June 2000, as requested by Giorgio.

Not a necessity at all, but any chance to translate the official recipe (by AM2) of how the young Ryo Hazuki ate his carrots (carefully picked by the farmers one by one)? I think for Shenmue fans it would be enticing to try them cooked that way in real life!

Link to original article

http://i.imgur.com/VlxZCnJ.jpg
6 June 2000

A Meal at the Hazuki Residence

This project was born from our desire to taste that well-known meal that features in Shenmue.

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of a meal featuring in Shenmue are the carrots that Ryo ate when he was a young boy. We will be recreating exactly the meal that was served that day at the Hazuki residence, specifically the stewed vegetable dish containing those rounded carrots - we'll refer to it as "Simmered Carrots".

Recipe for Simmered Carrots

http://i.imgur.com/78OAOwm.jpg http://i.imgur.com/q90YdoA.jpg
[Left] Our ingredients
[Right] The carrot in question

Ingredients (serves 2)

⋅ Carrots: 1
⋅ Potatoes: 2
⋅ Snow peas: a moderate amount
⋅ Sesame oil: 2 large spoonfuls
⋅ Dashi [Japanese soup stock] : 1.5 cups
⋅ Seasoning: sugar, mirin [cooking sake] , sake, soy sauce

Preparation

Peel the carrots thickly, with broad strokes; this will result in a more angular, polygonal appearance as you slice them into rings. To ensure they cook through properly, make a cross-shaped cut at their centers. Also chop up some of the carrot into chunks.

http://i.imgur.com/5gd1yhj.jpg
Don't forget that polygonal look

Peel the potatoes in the usual way, removing the eyes. Cut into quarters and slice off the sharp edges to help stop them from disintegrating during cooking.

Frying

Heat 2 large spoonfuls of sesame oil in a pot. Fry the carrots and then the potatoes on medium heat, mixing any parts sticking to the base or sides of the pot back with the vegetables. (Once the vegetables have browned somewhat, transferring them to a microwave oven can speed up the process).

http://i.imgur.com/1QqbOpi.jpg
Fry thoroughly

When the surface of the potatoes turns transparent, add the soup stock to the pot.

Simmering and Serving

After the soup stock has been added, heat strongly and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a low flame, add 2 large spoonfuls each of sugar, mirin and sake and simmer.

Simmer slowly while skimming the surface. When the potatoes have softened, add 2 large spoonfuls of soy sauce and put the lid on.

When amount of liquid has halved add 1 large spoonful of soy sauce and the snow peas. Simmer until the liquid has gone and you're done.

http://i.imgur.com/BxhATxx.jpg
Done!

The Meal from "That Day" is Complete!

http://i.imgur.com/MURwShy.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Tl0jxWr.jpg
[Left] The meal at the Hazuki residence
[Right] Remarkably sumptuous!

Aside from the simmered carrots, for a perfect recreation serve with white rice (heaped flatly), miso soup (nothing extraordinary; just containing tofu and wakame seaweed), cold tofu - divided into large pieces. katsuo [dried bonito shavings] topped with ginger, and a slice of grilled salmon. Bon appetit!

The Tasting

And so our "Meal at the Hazuki Residence" is ready, but just at the moment of tasting, [staff member] Takuan stubbornly refuses to eat! His reaction is just like Ryo's as a boy, as if to say "I don't like carrots"!

http://i.imgur.com/x8bERIj.jpg

On hearing this, the chef [author of this article] Nangoku Goro - who loves carrots - gets in a temper.

Nangoku Goro loves to lecture children. He can't let this go without saying a word or two.

"Takuan, while you're still sleeping in bed, farmers are working hard in the fields, carefully picking carrots, one by one. So how can you waste them like that?"

http://i.imgur.com/XRihymv.jpg

With these words, he encourages Takuan to eat his carrots, and...

"OK... I'll eat them."

Gathering his courage, Takuan takes the plunge and faces up to the hated carrots like a true man!

(By the way, carrots are rich in beta carotene, so eating them daily will help ward off old age and cancer).

-------

So, how did you like the "Meal at the Hazuki Residence"?

We checked with one of the Shenmue developers about the "Simmered Carrots", and it turns out that the dish should actually be Niku-jaga [simmered meat and potatoes, a popular Japanese dish] ^_^. From its appearance we weren't able to detect any meat so we didn't include it in the recipe, but when you are making "Simmered Carrots" at home you can turn it into the even more delicious Niku-jaga by adding 100g of thinly-sliced meat, 1 onion and 100g of "shirataki" noodles.
by Switch
Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: GameTrailers.com shutting down - effective immediatly

phpBB [video]

:cry:

We got too much. Shenmue 3 demanded a sacrifice......
by Peter
Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331775510544/shenmue-3-yu-suzuki-interview

Kickstarting Shenmue 3 and the return of Ryo
By Ben Sillis on 9 February 2016
Legendary game designer Yu Suzuki on crowdfunding, Ryo’s return and even Shenmue 4.

http://i.imgur.com/Jd1PO79.jpg
Ryo is back after more than a decade © Ys Net

Mr Suzuki has been waiting a long time to make his latest game – about 20 years, in fact.
" From the beginning, I had been readying plans for various contingencies should the chance to develop Shenmue 3 ever arise, " he tells Red Bull in an exclusive interview. " After the Kickstarter announcement, I received a lot of messages and videos from people all over the world. I was very deeply moved that Shenmue still has so many loyal fans, even after 15 years. "

There are very few developers who are household names, stars that shine as bright as the mascots they create. Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo, Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear fame, maybe Peter Molyneux at a push. You could probably count them all one one hand, even, but you'd have to reserve one digit for Yu Suzuki, AKA Mr Sega, head of its AM2 development team for almost two decades.

While American CEO Tom Kalinske is often credited with turning Sega into a powerhouse to rival Nintendo in the 1990s, it was Suzuki who turned in the games he sold. Responsible for arcade hits like Hang-On and Out Run, Suzuki was one of the first developers to pioneer polygonal 3D graphics, in games like Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop. Did you ever play in a Daytona USA cabinet in the arcade as a kid? Of course you did. That was him too. Ferrari F355 Challenge. Space Harrier. Dozens of classic games. But there's one game he's never been able to escape from, one he has never even tried to, that has cast a shadow over his career this century: Shenmue.

It's a little hard to describe Shenmue if you've never played it. It's a sweeping drama of family revenge set in 1980s suburban Japan and bustling Hong Kong that incorporates detective work, 3D fighting, a metric busload of voice acting and more of life's most mundane activities than you might expect. You can play darts or buy toy capsules from a vending machine. You can get a job lifting boxes for pocket money, and at one point you literally have to spend an entire in-game week carrying books out of a library.
It was banal and it was beautiful. It was the culmination of Yu Suzuki's work pushing Sega's hardware to the absolute limit, and cost a fortune to make – a rumoured $70 million, though part of that cost went into Shenmue 2.
It did not sell.

http://i.imgur.com/AT8Tl3X.jpg
Shenmue creator, Yu Suzuki © Ys Net

It would be tempting to say that audiences were not ready for such a game. But Shenmue and its sequel were only failures by the same metric that Dreamcast was, in that they happened to exist at the same time as the mighty PlayStation 2, and therefore did not make their costs back. Both games were adored by fans, who spent more than a decade clamouring for a resolution to the cliffhanger at the end of part two. Suzuki for his part continued to spend the 2000s returning to his older arcade hits while dropping hints that he'd love to return to the story of brave, blundering teenager Ryo Hazuki, if only Sega would give him the budget.
Then E3 2015 happened and everything changed. Suzuki decided to tweet a photo of a forklift truck, Ryo's preferred ride, and then turned up on stage at the Sony keynote to announce Shenmue 3 would be coming to PC and PS4 – so long as fans were prepared to back the game on Kickstarter to the tune of $2 million. Predictably, the project broke the Kickstarter record for funds raised for a game when 69,320 backers pledged a total of $6,333,295 to help bring Ryo back.

The return of Ryo
As we enter 2016, it's clear we're entering a new phase in Suzuki's career. Sega has granted his new studio, Ys Net, permission to use the Shenmue IP, but otherwise does not appear to be involved, while inexpensive and powerful game engine software now makes the game feasible on a much smaller budget. In some ways though, Suzuki admits he's picking up where he left off all those years ago.
" Shenmue 3 will be based on the original 11 chapter story I planned during the [Sega] Saturn era, " he tells Red Bull. " Using that story, we put the game together in such a way that people new to Shenmue, as well as fans of Shenmue 1 and 2, will be able to enjoy the game. "
For those new to the saga, Suzuki has a quick primer: " It is the story of a boy who travels to China on his quest to avenge his father's death, but it is also a story of love and friendship, and the bonds he shares with the people he meets as he matures to manhood through his martial arts training. "
This description sounds a tad like the blurb you might find on the back of a Sega Saturn game box, and does not quite capture the story's allure: Shenmue 2 ends on a decidedly magical note in a rural village in China, with Ryo discovering that two mysterious Macguffins may cause the resurrection of an even more evil Macguffin. We push for a few more details, and while Suzuki is keeping tight-lipped on plot, he says Ryo will grown on his journey. He's still angry, but his encounters with others may help to temper that rage.

http://i.imgur.com/7XFjSyX.jpg
Shenmue 3’s environment is making use of UE4 © Ys Net

" In terms of the story, a year has not yet passed from the conclusion of Shenmue 2, so Ryo's feelings of revenge have remained unchanged, " Suzuki says. " As Ryo did in Hong Kong in Shenmue 2, he will travel to Guilin in Shenmue III, maturing as he encounters different people through his martial arts training. "
Little time has passed for Ryo, but gamers have certainly grown up in his absence. Entire console generations have come and gone. You can still play Shenmue 2 on an HDTV with an Xbox 360, but the frustrating controls – you move with the D-pad, not a thumbstick – only serve as a reminder of just how much conventions have changed.
We wonder if Suzuki, who openly admits he began planning this game in the '90s, believes he will struggle to update Shenmue 3 to 2016 expectations. " We are planning to use Unreal Engine 4 for Shenmue 3, utilising the most cutting edge production techniques so we can exploit the engine's maximum potential, " he says. " The design concept of UE4 matches perfectly with how I make games, which is why I went in that direction. "

Genre shifting Shenmue
It's not just games that have changed in the interim however, but how we talk about them too. Shenmue was far ahead of its time in this regard, at least. The game's open cities, with operating bus routes and shops that opened and closed with the days of the week, predated even Grand Theft Auto 3 by several years, and were a predecessor of the sandbox games we play today. Suzuki even came up with his own acronym for the genre at the time, 'FREE' (Full Reactive Eyes Environment). But if he had to pigeonhole his life's work now?
" The genre that is the closest to describing Shenmue is what nowadays is called an open world game, " he says. " The concept of Shenmue was to maximize the level of game play freedom by offering the highest potential number of different ways one could enjoy the game. "

http://i.imgur.com/lkBBjlF.jpg
Expect plenty of mystery in the third instalment © Ys Net

For better or worse, Suzuki also originated the concept of the Quick Time Event (QTE): you would perform set actions and survive certain scenes – like someone trying to stove Ryo's head in with a metal pipe – by pressing a button on time with the screen. Succeed and the story continues. Fail and you might have to go the long way round, find another lead in your detective hunt, or have your face smashed in by a Triad member. It was a novel concept at the time, but it's fair to say it's been overused since, especially in Japanese action games. A good developer, so the theory goes, will provide the tools and the engine to let you pull off cool stunts, not just bang out a cut scene set to a rhythm game.
Suzuki says QTEs will be making a return in Shenmue 3 however. " While QTEs may feel a little wanting to some action gamers, I believe that it is a fundamental technique that allows a broad range of players to actively participate in the dramatic performances of a game."
"That said, I would like to take up the challenge of creating the next evolution of the QTE, " he adds, cryptically.

http://i.imgur.com/VDMCglZ.jpg
Suzuki wants some of the team to remain anonymous © Ys Net

How Ys Net balance that need for secrecy and surprise with the transparent communication required of a successful Kickstarter project will prove interesting. " This is my first experience with developing a game in this manner and it has been a very valuable one, " Suzuki says.
" For the Kickstarter, the architecture of the game was based on a scalable structure that could be adapted to the changes in budget. I can continually receive feedback from the backers through the entire process, which in turns helps to focus the development. "
The team will have to focus. Despite the availability of powerful, multi-platform game engines and middleware, the Japanese gaming industry has turned away from open world games, and console games altogether, Suzuki points out. That makes finding a team to tackle a game with such a heritage on a comparatively small scale more challenging still.
" Smartphones have become the mainstream in the Japanese gaming market today, creating an environment where the technology developed for consoles is often underused ," he says. " Also, it is becoming difficult to secure the talent necessary to make such games, but thankfully, we have managed to gather a very promising team for Shenmue III. "

Suzuki says that he cannot reveal the size of the team – or the budget – for " confidentiality reasons ", but he is happy to talk about one recent and remarkable hire: a fan. 'Kid Nocon', a South Korean graphics designer, wowed gamers recently with his incredible high definition makeovers of scenes from the first Shenmue (" I have wanted to make a Shenmue HD for a long time ," Nocon tells us). He must have made an impact on Suzuki too, because he then hired Nocon for Shemue 3.

" Kid Nocon is one of the people who has never stopped supporting Shenmue through all this time, " Suzuki says. " Even when I first met him, I could really tell he felt strongly towards Shenmue. I hope he will continue to be an active part in the Shenmue team. "

Sequels incoming
At the time of the Kickstarter, Ys Net had little more to show prospective backers than a scene with Ryo and Shenhua hopping over some stepping stones. Suzuki says the team are currently, " working on the prototype for the game. Using that prototype, we are experimenting with the various features of UE4 and testing out the systems we want to implement. "
Suzuki is avoiding making any benchmarks to break his own back with, and steering clear of promises on visual fidelity and specs, at least for now. So 1080p, 60fps purists will have to hang tight for now. " We have just recently decided upon the graphical benchmark quality. As to frame rate, we are still running tests ."

Suzuki's reticence to talk specifics up until this point is understandable – who would want to ruin a game fans have waited patiently for, for more than 15 years? It does, however, make the answer to our next question all the more surprising. Will Shenmue 3 hasten to conclude what was originally conceived as a sprawling, 11 chapter epic?
" I'm afraid that the story will not be concluded with Shenmue III, " Suzuki says, frankly. " After thinking it through, we decided that forcing a conclusion in Shenmue 3 would only make the story feel rushed, and compromise the game as a whole. I hope we can make "
In other words, Suzuki is back to that grand, original vision for the series once more. All it took was a bit of a patience for publishers, the industry and software to catch up with him.
We just hope we won't be waiting quite so long again for Shenmue 4. Suzuki, for his part, seems optimistic: " In five years’ time, I think I will [still] be making games, " he says. " As for Ryo? I am anxious to hear where the fans think he will end up. "
by Yokosuka
Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

Anyone notice what's on the wall way in the back?

by Ziming
Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will DLC copies

I always felt donating was a no-brainer because this is Shenmue 3. I never thought not to donate over something like a backer reward.
by Sonoshee
Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

It's here!

https://youtu.be/nOs3FX-29Fg

Media coverage
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/03/fan-remasters-shenmue-the-movie-into-5-hour-long-epic-5921456/
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/06/03/shenmue-the-movie-gets-fan-made-remaster/209928/
http://agetimes.net/tech/gaming/fan-remasters-shenmue-the-movie-into-5-hour-long-epic/
http://www.gametoppc.com/2016/06/gaming-fan-remasters-shenmue-movie-into.html
http://hu.ign.com/shenmue/13059/news/eld-at-ujra-a-shenmue-filmet
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/4/11858558/shenmue-the-movie-high-definition-full-version
http://www.gameplane.de/shenmue-remaster-von-shenmue-the-movie-veroeffentlicht/
http://n4g.com/news/1914461/shenmue-remaster-of-shenmue-the-movie-published
http://www.gamecrate.com/shenmue-movie-gets-proper-fan-remake/13744?hootPostID=738c94624bee5a411c809e8cb0751b4b
http://www.rebelgamer.de/2016/06/seht-euch-hier-shenmue-the-movie-in-high-definition-an/53376
http://n4g.com/news/1914461/shenmue-remaster-of-shenmue-the-movie-published?info=true

Old OP contents
I am pleased to present to you the trailer for my recently begun project-

Shenmue: The Movie Remastered

https://youtu.be/jGmwkT-bFLQ

I've always been disappointed by the original, and although I understand that they had run time and disc space limitations to work with, I felt that Shenmue: The Movie wasn't an adequate experience. I decided just a few days ago that with the power of modern emulation, I could remake Shenmue: The Movie the way I felt it should have been done, and in 1080p this time.

I'm happy with how the trailer turned out, but keep in mind that not all of the footage you see here is final. Certain parts of the game have given me some trouble, for example the "microstutter" you probably noticed in the Yokosuka harbor scene. I'm hoping to get every second of the 3-5 hour long finished product as perfect as possible.
Edit: Fixed the stutter in the harbor cutscene and uploaded a new version of the trailer (embedded above).

"Can I help?"

Absolutely! However, I will be doing all of the recording and editing myself to keeps things easier and more consistent. What I will need that I'm not sure I can do myself (not very well, at least), is assets like title and ending cards, a custom thumbnail, and probably a new font too. The one by David Brown that I used is nice, but it doesn't support numbers, so I couldn't use it for the intro text or credits. Besides these sorts of things, I'm completely open to any advice, compliments, or criticisms anyone has. This is about creating the best remake possible, not my ego.

As said in the trailer, I'd like to give a big thanks to BlueMue for his advice while I was recording this; David Brown for the Shenmue font he created which I used at the end of the video; Esppiral , Masterchan777 , and Sappharad for creating the awesome Shenmue I&II Auto Fixer; and the entire Demul team for making such a fantastic emulator.

Thanks for watching and reading! I'd love to hear your thoughts!
by Mr357
Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Photos of F4F's Ryo Hazuki and Lan Di statues together.

by Ziming
Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

Good point. It's the same situation at Fnac.com, a large retail chain in France ( http://jeux-video.fnac.com/a8792803/Shenmue-III-PS4-Jeu-PlayStation-4 ).

It is worth calling out YSnet/Biscay if they can do something (unless you're considering they actually give some publicity and precious post-money to the franchise).
by Yokosuka
Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Magic Monaco 2016 - Shenmue III Conference & Live Updates

http://i.imgur.com/EQnTzOE.png

Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki will be at this years Magic Monaco where he is expected to reveal exciting new details on the development of Shenmue 3 - as well as meeting fans and signing autographs.

The conference will start at the following times on Saturday February 27th :
CET (Local Time): 9.25am | PST: 1.25am | CST: 3.25am | EST: 4.25am

During the event, ShenmueDojo will be delivering live updates and photos via Twitter and Instagram , so be sure to follow us on those channels if you aren't already.

Finally, don't forget to visit our ongoing discussion thread and chat with other Shenmue enthusiasts in the meantime!
by Sonoshee
Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magic Monaco 2016 - Shenmue III Conference & Live Update

Thanks Sono.

Just to be open from the beginning, I am almost 100% sure the Grimaldi Forum does not offer Wifi, so I will be relying on firstly getting my phone topped up abroad, and also how well the international connection is in Monaco. I will have Wifi at the hotel, so there will be at least updates on a daily basis. I don't know whether to try and record the confrence and get it online thay day, or to take notes and pictures etc. Even though Yu will be on first thing, the entire day itself is very busy from our point of view. But I promise I will do my best to keep the updates as frequent as I can.

I would also advise to keep an eye on the social media accounts across the days upcoming to the event. It's easier to fore a quick update or photo via these methods, than making posts here on the go. If people on here want to handle posts in the discussion thread, that would be good. Or even if we get anything set up in the meantime.
by Peter
Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

"Red Bull is an energy drink sold by Austrian company Red Bull GmbH, created in 1987. [...]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

Shenmue 3 takes place in 1987. The wings are fluttering. Red Bull vending machines "confirmed".
by Giorgio
Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016 - Official Discussion Topic

Also, the "surprise" next to Astroboy and Shenmue III is likely to be an animation.
by Yokosuka
Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wish I could post more, but my brain has literally flatland. It did a while ago during the day to be honest. I am going to try and get some sleep, fly home tomorrow, and then sit and try to type out anything I can remember from the past few days. It was so crazy, I haven't been able to do what all of you guys have been doing all day, and actually digesting the new information and images, as well as going nuts about them.

One thing I can remember and can be open about, is that when the "surprise" part of the confrence happened, and Cedric brought Suzuki-san back on stage, and the video of the Shenmue tree as well as the interior of Shenhuas home.... It legitimately almost brought me to tears. It's the best video I have seen yet, and I was unbelievably blown away by how faithfully it had been recreated, down to the last pot and pan. That blew my mind beyond words, and it's the video that has filled me with the most confidence about this game yet.
by Peter
Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope you enjoyed the conference and the questions I've specially prepared for it.

Seems like people like the new images etc. That's what we wanted to show and if I ever get the chance again to work on a similar project, I'll try my best to provide new content again.

Thanks to the Shenmue Dojo members for the quick live updates and huge thanks to all the lovely fans I had the chance to meet today. You guys are awesome and I am looking forward to meeting you again.

Until then. ;-)
by DEVILLE_David
Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Julo will publish his interview tomorrow on Gameblog. Here a sample :

J : You've been clear about the fact that Shenmue III will not conclude the complete story of the saga. But what will be the percentage of what remains to be told in Shenmue III ?
Yu Suzuki : The Shenmue story in its entirety will be normally divided, from the beginning to the end, into 11 chapters. Shenmue III will cover chapter 5 and 6.

Even a Shenmue 4 might not be enough to conclude the saga. Ideally, do you think a fifth or even a sixth episode would be necessary at this rate ?
YS : No, I wouldn't go that far ! Rather than going until Shenmue 6, I would like to rearrange things in order to reach the end sooner, even if it means to take some shortcuts... No I don't want to go until a sixth episode.

Five is the ideal ?
YS : I can't tell you more. Anyway I would like to especially focus on the third at the moment !

source : http://www.gameblog.fr/news/57131-shenmue-iii-et-la-suite-yu-suzuki-fait-le-point-sur-le-nombr
by Yokosuka
Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi all,

I’m the other guy that attended the dinner yesterday. I don’t know if it was the best day of my life, but definitely one of them! Couldn’t have hoped for a better reception and atmosphere, and everyone there played their part in creating an unforgettable experience. Making many new friends along the way, Amir, Rob and I were very lucky indeed...

(As Amir said, I’m unable to disclose much of the actual details of the meeting or post pictures, at least until I have been given permission by YsNet and Shibuya Productions, so please bear with me. Good things come to those who wait 8) )

Throughout the day Suzuki-san gave me the impression of a father figure - a kind leader who always looks out for others, yet very humble and unassuming himself. You can’t tell by looking that he’s a superstar in any way. He’s also very curious, from inspecting details of the Eze buildings to asking about us (jobs, hobbies etc), and you cannot help but feel inspired by his energy.

Once we got down to business (so to speak), you can see another side of his character: dedication. Shenmue is his legacy, and seeing what we’ve seen (incredible, by the way), there’s no doubt that he’s giving his all to the project. Given his talent, and with passionate comrades like Mr Biscay, we should have a lot of faith about the quality of the finished article, so please be patient!

Thank you Dojo-ers all again to make this project a reality, I know everyone would have jumped at the opportunity to experience what I have, but perhaps different circumstances prevented you from doing so. To be honest I didn't initially choose this reward, but considering how life-changing Shenmue is to me, I felt compelled to sacrifice my savings to help Suzuki-san. It's taught me values which I took for granted, and I think has made me a better person as a result. And what's money worth when compared to one's own values?

If you believe the same way, and do still have some capacity to help (money or otherwise), then please do so. Suzuki-san is grateful already to the contributions you have given to him, but with more support Shenmue III can become even better!

Best regards,

Chao
by yuc02
Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yu Suzuki interview at MAGIC Monaco 2016 by Gameblog.fr

http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_948_shenmue-3-notre-grande-interview-de-yu-suzuki-et-cedric-bisc/page2

https://i.imgur.com/d4SH8nG.jpg

Julien : Hello Mr. Suzuki. I'm glad to meet you again today, even more in these fortunate circumstances where Shenmue III finally happens!
Yu Suzuki : Thank you very much!

What progress has been made in the development after 7 work months?
YS : Nothing has obviously been done properly. At the story writing level, I can tell you that the story is done at 95%.

You've been clear about the fact that Shenmue III will not conclude the complete story of the saga. But what will be the percentage of what remains to be told in Shenmue III ?
YS : The Shenmue story in its entirety will be normally divided, from the beginning to the end, into 11 chapters. Shenmue III will cover chapter 5 and 6.

https://i.imgur.com/ulJhKZj.jpg

Even a Shenmue 4 might not be enough to conclude the saga. Ideally, do you think a fifth or even a sixth episode would be necessary at this rate ?
YS : No, I wouldn't go that far ! Rather than going until Shenmue 6, I would like to rearrange things in order to reach the end sooner, even if it means to take some shortcuts... No I don't want to go until a sixth episode.

Five is the ideal ?
YS : I can't tell you more. Anyway I would like to especially focus on the third at the moment !

In the Kickstarter, a "trial version" has been mentioned. It's a playable demo which will be offered to the backers before the Shenmue III release. Have you an idea about when you will be able to bring it to us?
YS : This year, I fear that will be pretty complicated. It will be next year.

Can you tell us when Shenmue III will begin exactly?
YS : It will be just after the Shenmue II end.

Do you mean it will begin exactly there? In the cave?
YS : All I can tell you is that I don't want to skip a chapter. For instance, it might be the day after the Shenmue II end.

You talked about a lot of stuff during the conference like the combat system but not the QTEs. How will they evolve in Shenmue III?
YS : Yes that's true, I would like to add a new system to the QTEs. I will test different things to see what happens, then I keep the best. It's difficult to tell you more before the tests end.

https://i.imgur.com/xLaRNFp.jpg

But could these new systems change our habits?
YS : No, not that far. It would rather be an "advanced" QTE system. What would be revolutionary is to create QTEs in a world where they don't exist yet. Here, they do. The idea is more about adding things to what it exists. Ideally, I would like to create revolutionary things beyond the QTEs level. But with a release planned for 2017, the time is limited. I wonder if introducing them would be possible.

Can we get some precisions about these possible new features? Are they linked with the free battle for instance?
YS : Yes it might involve the combat systems. But above all, there is a new interface system and I'm thinking a lot about it. But I'm not sure yet if I can implement it in time. So I'm unable to tell you more.

It's so mysterious and exciting ! Let's go on to another topic. Can you give us precisions about the Shenmue I & II flashbacks which will occur in Shenmue 3?
YS : For instance, these flashbacks will occur at moments when Ryo touches objects that make him thinking about some things and memories. The kind of this.

So, will these flashbacks be videos captured from the previous episodes or fresh cutscenes powered by the new engine in order to keep a visual unity?
YS : I'm not sure yet but according the time it would require to make these cutscenes with the new engine, I fear that would take too much time. Once again, the remaining development time might be problematic.

I have a pretty specific question about something I loved in Shenmue 1 and disappeared in Shenmue 2. It's about the possibility to practice alone, for instance on the parking, then see the level of each move goes up... Will we be able to do so in Shenmue III ?
YS : Hmmm...

It was awesome! You have to make this happening in Shenmue III !
YS : I'll remember this!

https://i.imgur.com/siXktSI.jpg

I also would like to know if we will find back the same pace than the two first episodes. The same progression based on investigation where you had to ask questions to that person, who told us to meet another one, etc.
YS : Yes we'll continue in that direction. However the general feel is going to change as some systems will evolve.

Will you continue the idea of giving absolutely an identity to each NPC with their own house, workplace and individual schedule ?
YS : We will see if we can make it for all of them. In any case, that's what I want, yes.

My interview deadline has already expired. Here a little bonus question: at the Shenmue I end, Guizhang told to Ryo to leave Japan without him and said he will join him later... Does it mean we'll find back this character in Shenmue III?
YS : It's not planned at the moment.

Thank you Mr. Suzuki and good luck for the future!
YS : Thank you!
by Yokosuka
Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay interview at MAGIC Monaco 2016 by Gameblog.fr

http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_948_shenmue-3-notre-grande-interview-de-yu-suzuki-et-cedric-bisc
(read Yu Suzuki interview here )
https://i.imgur.com/rkB6NXo.jpg

Julien : Beyond the great spotlight they put on you at the E3, what is the Sony's role?
Cédric Biscay : First of all, they're "facilitators" for the PS4 release, which is a console exclusivity, so it's Sony who will manage the Shenmue III release on that machine.

So is that about marketing means?
CB: Yes. A lot of marketing means.

So that's their financial investment. Is that all?
CB: No but I can't tell you just like that.

But Sony has also a "direct" financial investment there, hasn't it?
CB: I can't tell you neither, sorry! Really, what is certain and what I can confirm is that their marketing investment is true.

https://i.imgur.com/DtYi3gC.png

All right. So since the tremendous hype has been generated by the Shenmue III announcement, are there new publishers or investors who came forward to join you?
CB: There are people who came up yes but anyway, we have already a team in place. There are interests, indeed, because there was a lot of hype but I cannot disclose this kind of information.

So, beyond the media hype, do you confirm there is a business hype too?
CB: On the business side too, yes absolutely.

Do you still receive requests on your side ? Additional financial means? A support in other areas?
CB: No there aren't specially requests. There was a request for a second campaign (Paypal) because that's the wish of the fans but originally, it was not ever planned. We really followed the fans request since they wanted to back more. Yu also said more he gets funds, more he can make a bigger game but really it's the only reason of why this second campaign exists.

Well in any case, Shenmue III is fully funded now, isn't it?
CB: Yes.

Then the release is still planned for December 2017, do you confirm again?
CB: Yes. In any case, that's what is planned at the present time.

https://i.imgur.com/CSuyvCQ.jpg

After 14 years of waiting, all the fans are happy but keeping ask themselves about the following story since Yu stated clearly that Shenmue III will not be the story end, meaning the necessity to make at least Shenmue IV, maybe more... So I ask: Is a new Kickstarter campaign going to be needed or a relative success of Shenmue III might be enough to fund it?
CB: I will talk very personally and independently from the Yu Suzuki's opinion. In my opinion, if the game is a big success, obviously there won't be troubles to get the sequel. Obviously if it's not the case, chances to get that sequel will really grow slimmer...

When you said "big success", do you mean a lot of sales plus the kickstarter ones?
CB: Yes, exactly.

So what is the goal in concrete terms ? Business side, you have obviously an idea of what you need to reach, haven't you?
CB: Yes I've the idea. Obviously, I can't share you the information but we have to sell it as a "normal" hit.

Do you mean like an "AAA"?
CB: Hmmm, I would say like a good game.

Globally, at least one million sales worldwide?
CB: Ah, that would be cool yes. It's a friendly target for us.

Enough to say "it's certain, Shenmue IV is happening"?
CB: No, I can't tell you just like that. But we would really like to reach that one million sales level, that's for sure.

It's clear this adventure represents a risk for you since the IP does not belong to you but Sega. And considering they lend you the IP, they obviously expect some result too. So, are they involved that much?
CB: They're not specially involved. They give us the IP so we are committed to release Shenmue III, and that's all actually. They indeed own the IP but we earn a return from the sales. It's licencing so a part of the sales is intended to them, logically.

By the way, I believe there is a subject that is dear to you. It's the Saturn version of Shenmue which really exists and is partially playable. I was told that you're personally involved to make the Saturn version a kind of bonus...
CB: Infact, what I would really like, it's not specially Shenmue Saturn as a bonus. My real dream - and I'm not saying that's impossible but I'm aware that's complicated - it's to make Shenmue III on Dreamcast. That would be awesome. Can you imagine this, in your collection? It's one of the first things I told to the team, and they stared at me saying "are you crazy ?!". Because obviously it's difficult in regards of the Dreamcast technology, the IP rights. It's really complex but If I would have a dream about Shenmue, that's it. But it's really hard to set up something like that.

Despite what you said, could it be ever possible ?
CB: For now... I don't feel any particular enthusiasm ! (laughs) That's something I want but it's a fan's fantasy I must admit. After all, you can see how we really are. Above all, we are enthusiasts. Look, I organize the MAGIC and I made the entrance free. We really want that people enjoy themselves. Same here, I want people pleased with Shenmue III on Dreamcast. That wouldn't be a question of business, because if we produce a Dreamcast version and sell 3000 copies, no money can be earned, or you would have to sell it as 150 euros per copy.

https://i.imgur.com/vN8d9f4.jpg

To quickly focus back to my question about Shenmue Saturn, it's about the assets owned by Sega. I wonder if they really open their door for you?
CB: Yes of course thanks Yu Suzuki. They opened their door but obviously you cannot make everything you want. You have to negotiate with them to know what can be used or not, and goes on.

So you logically talked to them about Shenmue 1 & 2 HD... What can you tell us about that?
CB: I can't tell you much about this. What is certain is that Sega can make it. They're aware of the Shenmue III campaign success, so I'm telling myself, as an independent businessman, with all the hype, releasing the HD versions would make sense. But again, it's only my opinion. They told us nothing special. It's not like they're showing little enthusiasm, it's just a different topic than Shenmue III. Sibuya Productions is charged of the Shenmue III production and we have no relation with what it remains. We don't have any information with extra Shenmue III stuff neither.

We can also imagine that Sega is awaiting the result of your work on Shenmue III, to note the good sales and finally come forward to say "Ok guys, let's go together!"?
CB: We can imagine everything but we're building castles in the air, really we know nothing.

Did they ever tell you "if you reach some goal, we invest with you about such and such subject"
CB: No, we never have discussions like this.

https://i.imgur.com/JKIPjhy.jpg

We recently have an interview with Phil Spencer. He told us that he met Yu Suzuki before things have been settled with Sony, that some things happen and some other ones not, that all cannot be done. Then you reacted pretty curtly on Twitter . Can you tell more about what happened?
CB : What it made me a bit annoyed is that he was like to say it was our fault. But it's not. Things haven't been made because he didn't have the arguments which would have make this possible. He didn't have the adequate offer to be considered.

So, he made you an offer but you found it inadequate?
CB: Well in any case, the content of the discussions was not enough. At the timing level, they also woke up a bit late.

Then while you're discussing with Sony, you felt a lot more of enthusiasm?
CB: Sony has immediately been a super partner. They wanted to do it. They proposed to do something exceptional at the E3. Like them or not, they really support Shenmue III.

Getting back to Kickstarter, how the backers from the outset are going to chose between the PC and PS4 version? Will the procedure take place shortly before the release of the game?
CB: Sorry I can't ask you because I'm not in charge of this.

https://i.imgur.com/o1Up4mr.png

Concerning the Kickstarter rewards, the figures, etc., do you know when we're going to see them? Are the designs been validated?
CB: Yes of course. All the Kickstarter rewards have been validated before. We can't propose things that are not possible to make.

But concretely, are these prototypes real?
CB: Yes, yes of course.

Did you have a look at the figures yet?
CB: Yes obviously, we have private informations right now.

For instance, why not to share some photos with the backers then?
CB: For now, we don't think it's the right time to do so but the time will come.

What are your next communication plans? Are we supposed to expect a dead time until E3 2016?
CB: We do like to please the fans. For now, nothing definite has been done until the E3. I can't even tell you whether something will happen at E3 but perhaps we'll decide to show something new. We really intend to maintain the contact between us and the fans. They're important for us so the desire is strong. It's like the MAGIC which is specially made for the fans. We really want to show up stuff. Same intention for the big international events like E3. Here it's a very little exhibition but it's ours, so we enjoy ourselves!

By the way, are you happy to see all these people here, who come from everywhere?
CB: Oh yes completely, we have 50 people who come from United States. There are also the media, the great newspapers...

And Gameblog!
CB: Yes, and Gameblog! It is busy and we can feel a real excitement.

Is it the beginning of a great move upmarket for MAGIC?
CB: Yes because last year was the first edition which needed 5 months to be made and we had great guests like Yuji Naka, Yoshitaka Amano, Shinji Hashimoto from Square Enix... Now we're really focusing on Shenmue - and Life Is Strange too - but for the following year, yes, perhaps we'll get even more stars from video game world... Each year we try to upgrade the formula. Anyway, we have already announced great things.

Alright, see you in the next year and thanks you for your time.
CB: Thank you!
by Yokosuka
Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How annoyed would you be using the d-pad on the PS4?

I really don't understand this idealization of things that represent the technical limitations of the Dreamcast. The fact is, they pushed the DC as hard as they could. They weren't making the limits into fetishes. They tried to make the most advanced game they could technically with what was available at the time. Can you imagine if they had designed Shenmue to emulate the limitations of the Sega Saturn? Ignore the analog stick and try to map a six button layout, because that's the system it was originally targeted at? I want Shenmue III to take full advantage of the technological progress that's occurred. Let the modders handle retro stuff.
by Centrale
Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic