Search found 9 matches

Return

Re: A new book about Yu Suzuki

Hello all dear fans of Shenmue,

I will stain to best respond to your questions about my book.

I am Benjamin BERGET, author of the biography of Yu Suzuki at Geeks-Line (a great French publisher who has realized books on Genesis, Nintendo 64 and PS1). I thank David for having created this subject quite adequate. As has been said, an English translation provided by the publisher, but she did not see the day before next year. For non-French readers, you will have to wait.
For readers familiar with the French language, you can now pre-order the book on the online store of Geeks-Line editor to receive at its output, which is scheduled on September 25, 2015. For other merchants (Amazon , Fnac, etc.), the book will be available in October / November 2015.
In fact, the preface has been conducted by Marcus (Marc Lacombe) of Game One.
To answer Yokosuka, I want him to read the summary of my book and finds himself that he simply no work printed as full as mine on Yu Suzuki. Moreover, the feeling of satisfaction of owning an object about Yu Suzuki has nothing to do with the act of reading on screen.

Introducing Benjamin BERGET

For those who have never heard of me, I graduated with a Master of Philosophy from the University of Burgundy (France) and I started to write about my passion, video games, there is already a decade. The main web sites where I wrote were Next-Nintendo.com, JeuxVideo.com, GrosPixels.com and Gameplay.be. After a few years testing the games, I had as an overdose. I was enormously frustrated by the fact that I spent time on games, and more to find the right words and the right angles to exit the perennial "history / graphics / gameplay / multi". Just published online, my work was soon swept away by another test or news. It is from this moment that I detached tests to better devote myself to records, retrospective on the history of gaming.
The next step to accommodate the contents of denser was to turn to the paper size. As the general history of video games has been discussed at least 10 times, you had to stand out. This is where I realized that what fascinated me, basically, in the development of a game, it was the power relationship between freedom of expression and censorship. I had found my subject: "L'Histoire des jeux vidéo polémiques " (History of video games polemics). http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=benjamin+berget
Two volumes have been published to date in an independent publisher, the third being paused the time to write this biography of Yu Suzuki. I felt the urge to talk about my favorite saga, Shenmue, and its creator.
As reported Yokosuka, I work with David in the Retro Playing magazine, where I had the opportunity to speak repeatedly of news Shenmue. Note that I adopted a different tone in the book, since I am not addressing the same audience. The quality of my articles have opened my doors to multiple news magazines: mook Pix n Love, magazine Geek, Retro vers le futur, Sega Retro, Côté Gamer, Magazine P911 (Independent video games), and a digital magazine sold on iPad : [gi:k], and collective books : « Games History n°3 », « L’âge d’or du J-RPG ».
I am currently working on the collective book "Anthology PlayStation n°3" always at Geeks-Line, and two personal books: "L'Histoire des jeux vidéo polémiques n°3" and a project that is currently kept secret.
by Benjamin Berget
Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is an excellent question.
If you do not follow the legal rules in my country, you will soon be stopped in your tracks ! My editor has made sure that all the images that are in the book are validated by SEGA to avoid trouble.

But you know that there is nothing in the world I hate more than censorship.
And when it comes to "official" book, whatever the subject, you can be sure that everything that is negative is sweetened by a communication service.
That is why, with my editor, we have chosen to adopt the most possible free speech does not depend on the text of SEGA. I am a journalist and my freedom of expression is not for sale at any price.
I have much to tell about the relationship between Yu Suzuki and SEGA, and you will soon discover in my book.
by Benjamin Berget
Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello everyone !

Regarding the fact that my book is little publicized, do not you worry, the promotional campaign that begins this coming week. For now, we just announce it.
Of course, everyone is free to speak about it to accelerate the movement !

Regarding "Marcus", this is the presenter of video game show the most famous in France, and I am very proud to have him on my project.
He spent his youth in arcade rooms on Hits by Yu Suzuki. His preface recounts how he spent the 1980s and 1990s, his passion for SEGA arcade games of the time, and I can tell you that it's great fun to read !
by Benjamin Berget
Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello,
I will try to reassure you friends, by saying first that I never wrote this book with the intention to harm anyone.
I started this book in 2010, in parallel to my trilogy on "L’Histoire des jeux polémiques." I love Shenmue, and from there I expanded the circle of increasing my research, and I've never stop writing, hence the 500 pages. As soon as I found a publisher, last year, I paused on the last volume "L’Histoire des jeux polémiques" (after two volumes published) and I'm dedicated myself only on Yu Suzuki, for whom I have great admiration.

Second, I am a journalist and foremost, my duty is to inform readers. My book does not have to serve the interests of a person or an editor. It is a biography, not an apology.
To help you understand what I mean, I'll give you a concrete example.
It happens that there is a book formalized by SEGA in France, called "L'Histoire de Sonic the Hedgehog".
It is a book made by people I know very well and I really appreciate in human terms.
On the form, the book is a beautiful object that provides a panorama of the Sonic games.
But I was saddened because the dark side developments of misfire games simply is not in this book, because SEGA would not permit it. This kind of censorship is to me unthinkable.

Last,if you go on the website of the publisher you will have the accurate presentation of my book:
"Discover Yū Suzuki as he is, through his childhood and adolescence, his philosophy of the game, visions, worship games and unfinished projects."
by Benjamin Berget
Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hello,
I do not know what time it is in your country, but here in France, here came the release of my book on Yu Suzuki!
Unfortunately I have not yet received the book, and if I could, believe me, I will push the postman on the back for that pedal faster!
I promise you some pretty pictures when the book will be in my mailbox...
Meanwhile, I took out a beautiful T-shirt SEGA AM2 to mark this day, come see my blog:
http://www.gameblog.fr/blogs/platon21/p_115226_le-livre-sur-yu-suzuki-sega-est-disponible-aux-editions-geek
Enjoy!
by Benjamin Berget
Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@johnvivant
I understand, you can go on the web site of editor Geeks Line, there is an excerpt from the book (Marcus preface + a piece of my general introduction).
Unfortunately, everything is in French, but you can see how the book is.
My level of English is good when it comes to switch from English to my mother tongue, French. Do the opposite is hard for me, and I will prefer anyone who better knows the language as David De ville for example, for translating a paragraph or two here, if it were possible? I think it would be a good idea.

@Yokosuka
the book is available (in French) in several countries at Amazon, in France, it is 5 November apparently.
in France :
http://www.amazon.fr/Suzuki-Maitre-Sega-Berget-Benjamin/dp/B014UDN7ES
in UK :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yu-Suzuki-Maitre-Berget-Benjamin/dp/B014UDN7ES
in Germany
http://www.amazon.de/Yu-Suzuki-Maitre-Berget-Benjamin/dp/B014UDN7ES
in Italy
http://www.amazon.it/Yu-Suzuki-Maitre-Berget-Benjamin/dp/B014UDN7ES
in Spain :
http://www.amazon.es/Suzuki-Maitre-Sega-Berget-Benjamin/dp/B014UDN7ES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443198341&sr=8-1&keywords=yu+suzuki+maitre+sega

and a country in ".in" i don't know wich is :
http://www.amazon.in/Yu-suzuki-maitre-sega/dp/B014UDN7ES
by Benjamin Berget
Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi,
ShenmueMaster.fr posted an article on my book with photos.
enjoy !
http://shenmuemaster.fr/
by Benjamin Berget
Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki: Le Maitre de Sega - Book Review

Hello,
first of all, I want to thank you for creating this subject which will allow exchange your opinions on my book, and neutral manner, which is very important.

There are a lot of questions about my work, but if I answer, I'm afraid to look like a terrible braggart.
I prefer that responses come from people have read my book (unless someone wait a precise answer from me ?).

Regarding the problem of the book pages to spare, I had several copies of the hands and none were in such a state.
Bad luck, I guess you have a very rare defective copy, so I invite you to take a photo of this book and send it to my editor here
http://www.geeks-line.com/contactez-nous
by Benjamin Berget
Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki: Le Maitre de Sega - Book Review

Thanks a lot Hyo Razuki for your trust from the beginning,
and all the compliments you made ​​me once you read the book.
It goes straight to my heart.
by Benjamin Berget
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic