Search found 38 matches

Return

Shenmue Dicussion Podcast with Myself and The Shenmue Guy

Hi all,

I recently did an interview podcast with Old Geek Young Geek podcast.

For those who do not know, "Young Geek", is the Shenmue Guy from the E3 Shenmue 3 Stream:
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/611287726789255168/b8GjeUKD.jpg

We had a 1 hour discussion about Shenmue.
Topics we discussed:
- The meaning of Shenmue
- Why it is more than just a game
- NPC Living dynamics
- FREE
- My history with the series
- Modding
- The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter
- The Shenmue 3 Paypal campaign
- General Gaming

Check it out!

Links:
Podomatic
http://oldgeekyounggeek.podomatic.com/entry/2015-10-05T11_41_18-07_00

Itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/old-geek-young-geek/id978220148?mt=2

Podbay
http://podbay.fm/show/978220148/e/1444070478?autostart=1

MP3 Download
http://oldgeekyounggeek.podomatic.com/enclosure/2015-10-05T11_41_18-07_00.mp3
by shengoro86
Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 3 Beta Footage Parody

Haha

phpBB [video]
by Shibiryo
Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kickstarter Update #47

The beta screenshots from Shenmue I and II were also quite different compared to the final product. In this case now, we're not even close to the final production stage. Besides that, out of these three months, most of it seems to have been used for planning, story boards etc. So I personally prefer to wait and see for the moment.

Also, Yu is someone who cares a lot about details so things could still change a lot. Someone caring about the right feeling/smell/humidity of a gaming engine probably doesn't ignore things like the look of the protagonist.
by ys
Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Guys, new to the forums (Kind of. Registered years ago but forgot the username and password but never posted!)

Anyways, I write tutorials (C++) over at Epic Games for Unreal Engine 4 and help people out on the AnswerHub and work on projects all the time with this Engine. I've done so for quite some time now. Why am I telling you this? Because hopefully I can provide a little insight on what you're seeing and why.

The reflective properties on Ryo's Jacket is just the material. The material hasn't been properly adjusted yet and even so let's not forget about the lighting that goes into a scene. Typically it's something you'll want to play with over and over again until you can get it just right. I'm assuming they're going to have a day to night cycle and that means a scene will have dynamic lighting. This can effect a material whether it's on a character, a static mesh actor( Think of an object) or general decals (assuming they want them lit or not.). This means it will constantly be tweaked from now until release.

The jacket will probably be toned down abit but it is obvious that they're still experimenting with the lighting. They're also not utilizing any Post Processing at the moment and if they are it's only for a slight color node but I don't think they're using any in the second and fourth screenshot. I think it goes without saying that this will change and right now they're experimenting with an engine that they probably never used before so it takes abit of time and energy to figure these large frameworks out.

It's an exciting time for all of us as Shenmue fans and of course we want this to be the best it can be but try to remember that this project is going to see alot of changes from now until release.
by Mark James G
Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The reflective properties on Ryo's Jacket is just the material.

About that, Ryo original jacket does not only not work because the material seems to reflect as it has smoothing, but because it seems that even the regular texture seems like a pretty much default leather.

Like:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/mcockshoot/Leather/PICT6420.jpg

And kinda this:
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/photos/18534bb937dc3c1_August%20front-500.jpg

I think I understand what you're trying to say.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091031182428/shenmue/images/1/17/Ryo_Character_Model.jpg

The diffuse texture on the jacket (Note the sponge tool being used to highlight certain 'light' spots) is simulating a reflective property. Now, I haven't explored anything with the Shenmue 1 and 2 files using an emulator but i'm pretty positive the Dreamcast did not utilize bump maps or normal maps which meant that reflective properties would have to have been drawn on manually. Very talented artists worked on Shenmue 1 and 2, especially given the resolution limit that the dreamcast likely had.

Anyways, regarding Ryo's current jacket:

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/798/593/1b8baa8d7135a6f01314d673d24ec04c_original.png?v=1446170936&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=545d3ef641cadeba1bcf8d3933280f23

You can see quite abit of reflection here but let's assume for a moment that there is only one light source going on. This is bound to create distortions and the fact that there is hardly a scene in that screenshot. Light isn't being reflected properly because I can assure you that in that shot they're not using any Reflection Nodes. Why would they? They're still working on the levels so it only makes sense.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/798/591/6a08ce2f305c9f2133688924b333e545_original.png?v=1446170914&w=639&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&s=a8f172c10132ddfd06f702fc208f7229

This shot is taken in one of the various demo levels that utilizes nothing but reflection and lighting. It really makes an exaggerated effort with emissive lighting (Glowing details) that is further embellished by a post process effect. The same jacket is less reflective except for the spots that it should be. The scene (Level) really makes a difference and depending on how some of the reflection nodes are used along with Post Processing effects it can really shape something.

Phew, sorry for all of that but... hopefully that should clear it up for you guys.

Good points, just one problem, Yu has "chosen" to adamantly force a release date of the end of 2017 sigh. He's refusing to budge at all on such, so sadly he doesn't have much time.

A Shenmue 3 of all things, without the unlimited resources that Yu is used to working with, should be planned out as a 3 year project, not 2.

Glad to see someone who knows the engine extensively, go in detail about what's causing things to be that way, and such though.

Yu Suzuki has never striked me as a guy to release something that isn't finished or at least that he feels is unfinished. We've waited over a decade for Shenmue 3 and if Yu Suzuki wants to continue the series after Shenmue 3 he will want to rely on more then kickstarter investments which means a possible re-invitation to Sega or opening up the company publicly for investors (Or privately but that is pretty risky and less cost effective for a company to maintain control) and that option is only desirable if the product is well received.

True, Yu Suzuki has been out of the gaming world for quite some time but... every developer knows the pressure never changes.
by Mark James G
Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III: A Gaming Pioneer's Answer To Growing Homogeneity

http://naomidaniels.kinja.com/open-world-fatigue-and-shenmue-iii-a-gaming-pioneers-a-1740232568

A pretty good article on Kotaku's Talk Amongst Yourselves feature. Makes a good case for where exactly Shenmue and by extension Shenmue 3 would fit in to the open world genre.

PSA: I helped proof read the article. Still agree with it pretty much from top to bottom though, and it's worth reading.
by Spaghetti
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

When I think of Shenmue, I don't look at it as an "open world game". It is the only game of it's genre and I hope Shenmue III is more of the same. Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment F.R.E.E.
by darksniper
Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shenmue 15th Anniversary (North America) & Making of Shenmue

http://i.imgur.com/C2FZ9m4.png

Today is the 15th anniversary since Shenmue was released in North America on the Sega Dreamcast. (December in Europe) To commemorate this day we are sharing a special video that goes behind the scenes in the making of Shenmue. Back in the late 90's NHK aired a TV program on the development of Shenmue at SEGA. They spent 6 months with Yu Suzuki as he was developing Shenmue on what would be Sega's last home game console. English translation provided by Switch .

Making of Shenmue: Youtube | DailyMotion | Vimeo

Available Captions/Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese.
by Ziming
Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Last dinner in Tokyo...

Is any one of the dinner backers gonna be cheeky and show up wearing a black and white stripped shirt?
by SMDzero
Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward adde

Mr. Marshall... if you're out there reading this could you please try to do the voice acting for Shenmue 3 for free? We really need the money to go toward development.

Please try to do it for free.

No one will do it for free, that's just silly. Work is work and he should get paid for whatever he feels is appropriate between himself and Suzuki. I'm sure he won't be a primadonna and demand high wages, he wants the game as much as the fans do.
by fittersau
Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sega Japan COO - "Shenmue is an important IP to us"

http://www.gamebusiness.jp/imgs/zoom/40983.jpg

http://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2015/11/16/11621.html

Hideki Okamura is a Sega Sammy Executive in charge of all video games, arcade as well as Toy and Animation areas. He has been involved with Sega since 1988, first working in edutainment area division, and then was in charge of Saturn and Dreamcast marketing strategies.

He was asked about Shenmue. Here are Google Translations:

Certainly "Shenmue" is to important IP Sega, as well as Sega, is a title that has affected a lot of games. In a closed world, you can go anywhere, that it can be anything, and I'll was a pioneer of open-field game. The Hiroshi Suzuki on it there was a strong desire to create a "Shenmue 3". Should make is making things really make people want, it is that it's creators with a focus on Mr. Yutaka Suzuki. Of course Sega might exchanges with Mr. Yutaka Suzuki, even now. We have continued to support also "Shenmue 3".
by freakycritter
Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Playing Shenmue blind

Hello.
I’ve been lurking around the dojo for a while and figured I’d finally chime in.
My name is Jordan and while I’ve known about Shenmue for almost ten years I never really got in to it until just recently. Please forgive me; this is going to be a very long and unusual post, however I am willing to do whatever it takes to prove the claims I’m about to make here.
Those of you who frequent gaming magazines and sites might know me on YouTube as genuinescorruption. Despite having been completely blind since birth, I’ve been a gamer at heart for almost my entire life. My childhood dream was to complete Ocarina of Time and in 2008, a group of diehard fans helped make that a reality by writing me step by step directions to navigate the game’s complex world. That combined with the game’s very well done sound work (which allowed me to know exactly where enemies were in relation to me and defeat them) made it possible for me to actually beet the game. I recently listened to a YouTube let’s play of Shenmue one and found myself completely immersed in the story. Researching the mechanics, I came to wonder if this game might actually be mostly playable (limitations of past technological eras often end up being accidental accessibility features).
I was wondering if someone would be able to elaborate on the navigation. The fact that you move Ryo with the d-pad instead of the analogue stick sounds really promising. If the analogue stick just controls the camera, can’t you just keep the camera behind you at all times so that if you push up on the d-pad, Ryo will always move north? Is this navigation structure anything like it is in either Pokémon or Final Fantasy X?
Do you think you can hypothesize on how much help would actually be necessary in order for me to complete this game? From what I can tell, the motor cycle race would be extremely hard, as would the forklift sequences (but they’re mostly optional)? There seem to be some pretty good auditory landmarks in some places to help verify your whereabouts (like Tom with his music, something that sounds like a marry-go-round in one place, etc.) which is more than can be said about many of the games I’ve played. Oh, and then there’s the stealth sequence…the footsteps on those guards are not only loud, but directional!
I’m planning on downloading this game and trying it out this weekend to see if I can make any progress on my own. Are there any other pitfalls you think I should know about?
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. Speaking of which, in case you’re wondering how I’m able to read your responses or otherwise operate a computer (a common question I get asked on the internet), I use a program called Jaws which translates written text on screen to speech and allows me to navigate GUIs. It’s developed by a company called Freedom Scientific (http://www.freedomscientific.com).

Kind regards,

Jordan.
by Caturria
Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki in China promoting Shenmue 3 (Video Included)

Peter 蔡 has responded to my request to join the dojo forums. He says he'll be here tomorrow.
Hello everyone, I am so happy to be here :D :D :D . Shenmue dojo is very famous in Chinese shenmue fans club. Today another member or myself will share some pictures about the conference, such as the gifts and paints.
by Peter 蔡
Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay : Monaco Hebdo and modogameur.fr interviews

Monaco Hebdo interview
http://www.monacohebdo.mc/16513-shibuya-productions-leve-plus-de-6-millions-de-dollars

"I made a lot of advisory work in video gaming and animation because they are interesting sectors for me. My idea has always been to create my own contents."

"Shibuya is the name of the most busy place of Tokyo so the most cosmopolitan. We know that Japanese people are not that attracted by the international. But Shibuya is a neighbourhood where a lot of things happen. And we work a lot with Japan. That's why I wanted to associate this image with my company."

"I moved to Monaco because the Principality is pretty well-known in the world, especially in the US. It's also much easier to meet decision-makers in Monaco where the network is rich and tight at the same time. In Japan, the Principality is especially known for the Formula One, its luxury goods and tourism. "

"We work also on 26 Astroboy episodes of 26 minutes each. The name will be Astroboy Reboot"

"We are a young company. But in 2014, we will be the company which made Shenmue and Astroboy Reboot. Thus, the eyes turned towards us will be more interested. But starting off with these two big releases (Astroboy is planned for september 2017), we earn reputation and reliability. And a lot of time."

"The real revenue will be in two years. If all goes well, it should be around 5 million euros."

"The network is the origin of everything. This is what makes possible all we're doing. Since 15 years, I build my network in Japan."

"To raise confidence, you need time. In Japan, there is a lot of codes you have to comply. My chance is that, very often, people get bored and look for China instead... where they usually fail. It's been 10 years since we talk about China as almost an Eldorado. But who really managed to establish itself in China ?"

"I played a lot of games, especially Japanese games. Shenmue had a deep impact on me. I spent sleepless nights on it. There was also Shenmue 2. But with the Dreamcast disappearance, Shenmue III never happened.

"I don't know how to draw, nor write a story or a program, neither animate... However, I know how to connect people and generate a network, especially in these sectors."

Shibuya Prod work with 4 employees. The company's role is to outsource its productions, notably in Japan, Bulgaria, United States and France. To fund a project, convince co-producers is needed. These co-producers are usually studios that employ 100 or 200 people to, for example, create and program a game.

"Sega did nothing with Shenmue. The idea was to make Shenmue III and create a huge buzz around this game".

"The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

"At the moment, no Mac version is planned. I can't tell you exactly but Sony put less money in the project than Shibuya".

"We target to sell one million copies. This is not what we need to earn money but that's my goal."

About piracy : "But I still have faith in the true players, those who want beautiful packaging and look to gain a beautiful object. But I keep dreaming. Those who usually hack will continue to do so. For a game sold 60 euros, the packaging is 2-3 euros. Piracy is cultural. In Japan, downloading is still less common than selling CD.

"Our productions need teams of 150-250 people. It's still far from Disney"

Biscay has the advantage of knowing everyone since 10 years. As he worked already with them (the right owners of Astroboy), the young boss decides to opt for audacity. He asked if they would let him make a "reboot". Surprise: he gets a "yes" in minutes. In three months, the first contract is signed. Which is pretty amazing since, in this kind of business, negotiations sometimes last 2 or 3 years before reaching a signature. "This is why I love Japan. There, everything is a matter of trust. However, if we betray the word, you're dead, can pack your bags and return in Europe."

Then everything is on track and Astroboy becomes a 9 million euros budget funded by co-producers : a Japanese one, two TV channels and Shibuya Productions. Caribara Productions (based in Paris, Annecy, Liège and Montréal) takes charge of the animation.

Other project, this time focused on cinema : "Lily and the magic pearl" by Anri Koulev, directed with Bulgaria and co-produced. The story is written by the poetist Valeri Petrov (1920-2014). Ben Cross (Star Trek 2009) is one of the dubbers. Biscay : "I want to offer a more confidential production, an auteur cinema which would never happen without our help."

"On the technical plan, the animated film is the neighbor of gaming. However, about the funding, it's very different. It's not the same intermediaries neither the same partners or the same mounting methods for budgets. Video games are still the most profitable : the potential gain is greater than an animated film. With television, it's difficult. Whereas with the cinema, when you see the complete success of The Minions..."

"We have already a big project for 2019. But from 2017, we hope to do one release per year at least."

http://i2.wp.com/modogameur.fr/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Affiche-MAGIC-francais-small.jpg?resize=852%2C600

Modogameur interview
http://modogameur.fr/interview-cedric-biscay-organisateur-du-magic/

Q : Can you tell us more about you ?
CB : Above all, I am passionate of Japanese animation and video games. In order to work in these sectors, I founded two companies. The first in Nice in 2002 (2003 in Japan), specialized in advising between Europe and Japan. The name is Shibuya International. The other in 2014 with as primary goal the creation of video games and cartoons and whose name is Shibuya Productions. The latter company has the distinction of being located in Monaco and Japan. I also give courses in Master video games at the École Polytechnique de Nice-Sophia Antipolis.

Q : Do you think that Magic can become an event as not-to-be-missed as the Paris Games Week ?
CB : If you believe the articles following the 2015 edition, the MAGIC is already a must-see event in regard to its guests, the cosplay contest and video game creation competition endowed with € 100,000. We have to work hard to go even further. Our event offers free entrance with a broad focus on the conferences and round tables, we have no plans to expand the stands and to welcome tens of thousands of visitors. Our aim is to always offer more quality for true fans. That year we had notably Yuji Naka (Sonic), Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy), Shinji Hashimoto (Kingdom Hearts), Eric Chahi (Another World), Alain Damasio (Remember Me), Frederick Raynal (Alone in the Dark), Viktor Kalvachev (Blue Estate), Philippe Buchet (Sillage) without forgetting Yoichi Takahashi (Captain Tsubasa) who comes to France and Monaco for the first time.
The 2016 edition will announce the presence of Buichi Terasawa (Cobra), Yu Suzuki (Shenmue) Kavinsky (Drive), David Lloyd (V for Vendetta), Didier Tarquin and Christophe Arleston (Lanfeust) to name a few."

Q : Your favorite mangas and games ?
CB : So much to say ! But ok, the first that come to mind are Dragon Ball Z, Cobra, Death Note, Hokuto No Ken, Saint Seiya, Hikaru no go and many others ! About games : Shenmue, Enemy Zero, Bio hazard, Radiant Silvergun, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Virtua Fighter 4, Sega Rally , Super Mario Kart, F-Zero, Street Fighter Zero 3, Uncharted 2 … this is it I can not stop !

Q : How did you selected the prestigious guests for this second edition ?
CB : I must admit that it is mostly the likes of the team. We refuse to take the easy path and don't try to follow current mainstream topics for example. Most of our guests are not into a promotion logic but come to share a good time with their fans. The undeniable advantage is that it provides a greater depth to exchanges with the public. Similarly, we do not accept pay dedications or other system that would encourage our visitors to pay for the right to photograph or signature.

Q : What are your ambitions for future editions ?
CB : We would like to pass on two days because we are beginning to refuse a lot of opportunities because of too short time we have now. However, our will is to remain a free admission event, we are not financially able to do so now. We have to find more sponsors because remember that MAGIC is an event that we fund entirely by this means.

Q : Have you never thought about exporting the Magic outside Monaco to do big conferences like Japan Expo or even Paris Games Week ?
CB : For now this is certainly not news, but we do not exclude any serious track. I myself implanted Japan Expo in Marseille and Montpellier MIG, we want MAGIC retains its specificities. With us all guests are VIP!
by Yokosuka
Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11/21)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwxjwISgKo

Most interesting parts :

(5:10) About MAGIC 2016 in February
There will be a progress statement. Normally, we have the ambition to show a trailer... well rather a teaser I'd like to clarify, with the first true reliable images so we're ambitious. At least, we'll see new things like images, explanations about the game, story, etc.

(16:29) About Yu Suzuki
He's very nice, infact we are basically great pals, that's the reason we work together as well and he's a very humble person ( note : Cédric stresses this point during the video because not all the creators he knows are friendly in the gaming/anime universe and sometimes act like divas ). I think he is humble because he did everything that was possible to do in the sector of gaming. I was always fascinated when he showed me photos of him with Spielberg or Mickael Jackson but with calm, not as someone like a stalker. And you know what, it was those people who were happy to be pictured with Suzuki because his games provided them a lot of fun and they wanted to collaborate with him. So he doesn't boast at all about it, he's really supercool, we get on very well, and above all, we often drink good wine together. He likes wine, so I do. It's generally the common lot of our discussions (laughs).
Question : Which wine is his favorite ?
Cédric : Well it's a bit of expansive wine (laughs). He enjoys the really great wines, the Château Margaux, etc.
Q : And Romanée-Conti, and goes on...
C : So, yeah I admit we didn't reach this level together yet but we drunk some Château Margaux from his own wine cellar.
Q : His Tokyo-based wine cellar, isn't it ?
C : Yeah, a mini wine cellar in his office at his home but I will say nothing because I own a wine cellar in my office too so I refuse to make fun of him (laughs).

(18:35)
C : The production is progressing well, we're not late at all, it's still planned for Christmas 2017 as we decided. You know, a big interest is there, it's a traditional month for the players. Ok there are other moments in the year but it's usually better to release a game at Christmas.

Q : Since when you're working on Shenmue III before the announcement exactly ?
C : I admit we're not talking a lot about things like that, I don't want to be already impolite but (laughs) it's kind of confidential.

(19:51)
Sega is the IP owner. So for us, making Shenmue III is a huge risk because we don't own the IP. If you own the IP, that means you make a big return on investment. In our case for example, our return on investment will only be from the sales, period. We will not see the money generated by the goodies for example.

I think there are 200 000 big fans.

About AAA status
(Shenmue III) will not be Call of Duty but it will be a really good PS4 game and will easily meet the current PS4 standards.

My hidden goal was $5 million (for kickstarter).

(23:45)
What I anticipate is that Sega releases Shenmue I & II HD. Of course I must make clear that's not official but just what I wish. For me, it's the only viable way for selling well Shenmue III, so beyond the fans network. We also thought about doing a little manga or animation based on Shenmue I & II story but that's nothing compared to remake Shenmue in HD version. About the question you ask me about the hype, while it did not influence us, I think it can for others. I have the feeling that now everybody is interested in Shenmue, for example, at the companies level, to release related goodies.

Q : When was your first encounter with Yu Suzuki, how, and around which wine you seduced him ?
C : Basically, I was interested to meet him. I met him in Tokyo thanks a common friend. Then we talked about a lot of things, firstly Shenmue of course as a fan but I'm also fan of Virtua Fighter so we had a lot of common things to talk. I also bring him to an event in the south of France, then the Anime Game Show at Monaco in 2013 where the official discussion about Shenmue seriously started out because before this moment, it was really impossible as Sega didn't want to let the IP at all. So we're become real friends and we met again several times at San Francisco. We also did together the GDC , the Napa Valley as you mentionned wine. So we indeed drunk all the great American wines while discussing about how to find fundings for Shenmue III. Well it looks quite simple but you know, I do my business since almost 15 years in Japan, you can't meet Yu Suzuki so easily but thanks my job, the doors open a little more easily.

Q : Indeed, a bit like the Jet Set. The hardest part is to get in, and you did it.
C : I would say rather the Jet Set of Gaming (laughs)

(40:08)
Q : How many people are working on Shenmue III development, currently and actively ?
C : Well, our friend Suzuki didn't allow me to talk. He said to me "Don't talk about it, they will discuss again, etc". So sorry I can't answer your question (laughs).

Q : But it's a lot of people, isn't it ?
C : Yes of course, it's a video game so there is a minimum. Moreover, since the annoucement in June, we received so many requests from people who want to participate in the developement, that never stops ! There are even developers who want to work FOR FREE, it's insane. Then it smoothed down a little. For the Shibuya Production mail, I receive personally only 3 or 4 emails per week while in June, it was crazy, they were dozens and dozens of people per day, phone calls with "We want to participate in Shenmue III". [...] There were Australians, Japaneses, Ukrainians... they weren't random guys in their garages but true studios !

Q : Can we suppose that the team, although mainly Japanese, is pretty international ?
C : The team is essentially Japanese but with indeed some foreigners who live in Japan, who speak Japanese. You know that if you don't speak Japanese, it's very complicated... well I'm saying but I don't speak Japanese (laughs), but if you're working among a team, it's difficult.

(41:57)
Q : Will the PC version be optimized compared to the PS4 version ?
C : Good question, I would say "Yes".

(56:15)
Q : Outside the kickstarter, will a physical version be available ?
C : Yes absolutely.

(59:10)
Q : Will the PS4 and PC versions cost a different price ?
C : No at the moment but it's something that can change for multiple reasons. But at the moment, no.
by Yokosuka
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gametrailers include Shenmue 3 in its 2015 greatest mome

Nice to see some positive media about Shenmue 3.

I keep hearing people who don't like Shenmue calling it a "mistake".

The majority of the people who have shown a real investment in tearing Shenmue down are saying crap like "it's a mistake" because, deep down, they're mad that something that has a positive message and interpretation of the cultures it strives to portray overall is coming back on the market and making everything they worship look like the insults they actually are. They make my stomach turn.
by VukBZ2005
Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Monaco Magic 2016

DEVILLE_David wrote: Image

It's nice too see Ryo talking with that wooden pole as they have so much in common personality wise.
by Riku Rose
Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue Jokes Thread

Awesome Japan.

Biggest Shenmue related joke.
by Taren Fox
Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

So Sega basically confirmed Shenmue 1 and 2 HD is not in production.

So they'd like to do it? Great.

They would have liked to do Shenmue 3 also...but they never did, did they?

We ave to be clear here: Sega IS NOT making Shenmue 1 and 2 HD and they do not have anything to do with Shenmue 3 except allowing Yu Suzuki to use the license and agreeing to take a cut of the games profit.
by SMDzero
Thu May 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I seriously hope that Sega goes bankrupt and sells off it's IPs.

Shenmue is basically a hostage at this point.

Yu Suzuki getting to use the Shenmue license is like a conjugal visit but let's not get stockholm here; Sega is the enemy.
by SMDzero
Fri May 13, 2016 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Basically, some of you guys were expecting Shenmue HD to be announced during a weekly PR video from Sega_Europe?

http://i.imgur.com/UBXAPeH.jpg

:mrgreen:

SEGA Europe statement is a good start... They say they want to do the remasters and want to do them right.

I'm sure they are not telling us everything, which by the way, makes sense (As pointed out by David Deville, "lots of stuff going on in the background").
by Kiske
Fri May 13, 2016 3:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Shenmue 3 is nearly a full year into development but the game needs A LOT of work so it's not in showable condition now.

Here's a report on the build so far:

For a game originally based on a fighting game series, Shenmue has an irregularly deep back-story. This long-running tale of revenge that maintains balance between fetch quests and free battles has been in development hell for around 15 years. While the series has more than its share of detractors, both games in the series have been rather good. Today, however, the Shenmue mythos has lost a great deal of steam. Shenmue 2X wasn't received particularly well, and the series' first "online" entry, Shenmue: Online, wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms, either. Still, you got the impression that the people working on the games genuinely cared about them and took the time to ensure that the storyline maintained most of its continuity. Shenmue 3 contains none of this, resulting in holes in the plot, slapdash level design, and a general sense of "Let's just make sure the game doesn't crash so we can get it on store shelves and earn back at least a little bit of the kickstarter money we spent" on YSnet's part.

Shenmue 3's instruction manual claims that the game strives to fill in some of the blanks about the rivalry between Ryo and Lan Di. But the game really creates more questions than it answers. For instance, if this is supposed to take place after the second Shenmue game, why does Ryo have a gun, which he never had in Shenmue 1 and 2? Possible continuity problems aside, Shenmue 3 is decidedly low on story. The game opens with a '70s kung fu-show-style intro movie, and from there, cinematics of any kind are extremely hard to come by. Between levels, you're given a small bit of story progression via radio transmissions that take place between Ryo and Shenhua. Shenhua stays behind at her house, while you, as Ryo, plod through several locales, beat the pulp out of numerous thugs, struggle to find keys, hit switches, and fight bosses. You're given many of Ryo's standard attacks right off the bat, but executing special moves such as the pit-blow punch and tornado kick use up a portion of your special meter, which is replenished by executing combos. Defeating enemies earns you experience points, and every time you level up, you're given a new combo move. The combos are button-tapping combos, though they require little to no sense of timing at all - just hit the buttons in the proper order, and you'll execute the "git some suka" or "super uppercut" moves with ease. As if having to use a combo called "git some suka" weren't bad enough, Ryo occasionally does a bit of trash talking when you execute a combo. This means you'll get to hear Ryo say "Want some fries with that whoop-ass?" significantly more than you want to. As you progress, the combos become more and more devastating, some of them even ending in fatalities, provided that the enemy's life bar runs out as you're delivering the final hits.

The game is really driven by collecting items. To progress, you'll need to find tons of keys, security passes, and the like. The game is seen from a multitude of seemingly random camera angles, none of which give you a clear-cut view of the action. In fact, the later levels are downright frustrating - almost all your enemies are armed, and they can see (not to mention shoot) you long before you have any idea that they even exist. They rarely miss, so your only options are to run in the direction of the shots until you see the enemies, pull out a weapon of your own, and spray fire in the general direction of the shots or use the game's atrocious first-person mode. If you're armed, you can use first-person mode to more accurately direct your fire, but it's limited in that zooming in with the sniper rifle doesn't affect the draw-in distance. So if an enemy is out of your normal sight, zooming in won't help at all.

In a word, Shenmue 3 is ugly. The models are blocky, and the textures are horrifically muddy. Occasionally, walls burst at the seams, and the clipping is also fairly random. Backing that up is the sort of soundtrack that demands to be silenced. The music is overly repetitive, the sound effects are drab, and the voice work is dull and uninspired.

Even at a semi-bargain price of $19.99, Shenmue 3 isn't worth your time, let alone the money fans poured into it. Even die-hard Shenmue fans will be sorely disappointed with Yu Suzuki's latest offering, so we'll just have to wait and see if the Shenmue series can recover from this near-fatal blow.
by SMDzero
Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

An early build of the Shenmue III credits has already been leaked:

by Let's Get Sweaty
Wed May 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dreamcast controller via USB adapter for Shenmue III (PC

I keep seeing people say they're planning on doing this. It's dumb. I highly, highly doubt the game will be designed in a way that makes it easy, or even a good idea, to play on the Dreamcast controller.

You're going to be sorely disappointed, I bet.

I want the save file from the old VMU to be transferable too. I also want 18+ hentai of female characters on the VMU, because owning one is already poof that we're all around 30 years old.

I can dream can't I?
by harris_t
Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Do QTEs belong in Shenmue 3? Podcast Debate.

What do you think about QTEs? Young Geek (Shenmue Guy) and myself debate on this.

We use Shenmue as a basis.

My argument is that some games do not do QTEs correctly but Shenmue knows how to do it right.

Enjoy!
phpBB [video]
by shengoro86
Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I hope you guys don't get offended by this post, but wtf am i reading in this thread? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did some of you really get angry because Sony gives a crap load of money to Kojima while Yu Suzuki needs kickstarter to make his game??? Well, then let me welcome you to the real world: Yu Suzuki (for as much as i respect him and love Shenmue to death) hasn't made a console game since fucking 2001 , while Hideo Kojima has basically been printing money for the last 20 years and has a HUGE cult following.

Of fucking course they are treated differently, if anything we should be grateful that Sony decided to give support and prime e3 time to a series dead for 15 years that almost no one cares about. That in itself it's a miracle because let's face it, without the e3 2015 exposure there's no way in hell we would have gotten 6.6m pledged on KS.

So, imo before complaining to Sony we all should not forget where we were mentally 12 months and 1 week ago.

No offence really, but some comments i read here are out of the world. ;-)
by Shenhua-Nani?
Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

south carmain wrote: honestly if I can't buy a fanta in shenmue I don't think its even worth playing.

Is that you Joel??

by fittersau
Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Awesome Japan can be everything.... except awesome...
by Esppiral
Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Man and the Company Behind Shenmue’s Revival

Half life? Shenmue 3? Half life 3 confirmed.
by nskachu
Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of Shenmue series after 2017

Personally I've been gradually increasing my PC gaming and my interest in keeping up with more and more new consoles is waning. PC offers the potential of an active modding community and a fairly stable platform that can play new games as well as games from many years ago. Having said that, whatever platform Shenmue comes out on, I'll be getting it. If they put out Shenmue 5 on the Wonderswan, I'll shrug my shoulders and get a Wonderswan.

As for 4 or 5... I think Suzuki mentioned 5 because that's his ideal. So unless it becomes clear that it will be completely impossible, I'll be hoping for 5 installments. I think they'll be able to pull it off with their experience of developing 3 on a modest budget.
by Centrale
Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is the Yu Suzuki really living in his office?

The Ryan Peyton interview suggested that Yu Suzuki is actually living in the office basically working 24/7 to ensure that

A. Shenmue 3 makes it's December 2017 release date
and
B. Shenmue 3 doesn't turn out like Mighty Number 9

I was wondering, it is just Yu Suzuki living at the office or is it also the rest of the team members?

Also maybe we could pitch in to help them out?

What if the Dojo members put some gift baskets together? We could include things like snacks, blankets, toiletries, reading material, basically anything to make living in the office more comfortable.

Thoughts?
by SMDzero
Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's your biggest Shenmue mystery?

Why is Shenhua on junk food packaging in Japan?
by Spaghetti
Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why did Fuku-san randomly turn up to You Arcade when Chai beat the shit out if Ryo? And does he never change out of his Gi (martial arts uniform)?
Why does Ine-san keep the Hazuki household money hostage from Ryo?
Why is Megumi's mother such a bitch and leaves that kitten out in the cold for so long before finally letting Megumi keep it?
Why does Tom go back to America exactly? Immigration officers chasing after him?
Why does Goro suddenly become such a nice guy when he was threatening people at the Harbour?
Why are Tony & Smith everywhere, all of the time?
Does Niao Sun have breast enlargement implants or are they natural?
What kind of diet is Dou Niu on?
Is Yuan pre-op or post-op?
Why is the move scroll Lucky Hit stand so much harder than the rest of them anywhere else in the game? And was it designed by a tosser?
Why does Ryo Hazuki have a Sega Saturn in the late Eighties? Time travel?
by Henry Spencer
Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[quote="Henry Spencer"]

Why did Fuku-san randomly turn up to You Arcade when Chai beat the shit out if Ryo? And does he never change out of his Gi (martial arts uniform)?

Because Fuku-San literally has no other clothes because he's destitute and is forced to be the Hazuki family slave.

Why does Ine-san keep the Hazuki household money hostage from Ryo?

Because Ryo is too stupid to realize that Ine-San is his employee and he can fire her ass at any time.

Why is Megumi's mother such a bitch and leaves that kitten out in the cold for so long before finally letting Megumi keep it?

The cat was evil, it molested Yagamashi san.. that's why his back was bad.

Why does Tom go back to America exactly? Immigration officers chasing after him?

Because Tom was an illegal immigrant and sold poisoned hot dogs to school children.

Why does Goro suddenly become such a nice guy when he was threatening people at the Harbour?

Because that was actually Goro's evil twin brother, Kintaro.

Why are Tony & Smith everywhere, all of the time?

They're actually standing outside your door.... right now.

Does Niao Sun have breast enlargement implants or are they natural?

Lan Di offered to pay for her breast enhancements.. he was tired of motorboating Master Chen's saggy man boobs all day..

What kind of diet is Dou Niu on?

He eats literally everything.. except carrots.

Is Yuan pre-op or post-op?

Are you seriously suggesting you find Yuan more attractive than Nozomi???

Why is the move scroll Lucky Hit stand so much harder than the rest of them anywhere else in the game? And was it designed by a tosser?

Who cares? I'd rather try a game of 'lucky hit' with Joy.

Why does Ryo Hazuki have a Sega Saturn in the late Eighties? Time travel?

Yes. And for his latest time travel exploit.. watch Ryo travel 15 years into the future in Shenmue 3.
by SMDzero
Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

mrandyk wrote:Sega would be smart

by Let's Get Sweaty
Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Poll: Which platform will you be playing Shenmue III on?

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: The PS4 that I'll be buying with a copy of the game on release day.

Make sure to get your PS4 at least one day in advance so that you can have all the updates installed first.
by mrandyk
Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cedric - update

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/williammlees/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20161204-085537_edit_1480841795816_edit_1480841842768.jpeg

Now what? Hype "all in" for December update?

December update: Yu Suzuki tours us through the copy room at YsNet offices. He shows us the office copy machine and how it sometimes jams.
by SMDzero
Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic