Search found 7 matches

Return

Swearing in Shenmue III?

Hey,

As you can tell, I don't usually post here, but I've been thinking of an interesting topic. As you may be aware, in the original Shenmue, there's some level of swearing. Nothing like 'Fuck', but if I'm not mistaken, the following words are said in the game:

Shit (multiple times)
Bastard
Piss off
Goddamn (although, it's not that bad)
Hell (as in 'What the hell' - very mild, but I'll explain myself below)

An interesting thing I've noticed is that Shenmue II doesn't have any of the swears in both the Xbox dub and the English subtitled EU version. Now, you could argue that for the Dreamcast version, Japanese words like 'Kso' could be translated as 'shit'; however, the subtitles use the word 'Damn'. Even the word 'Hell' isn't really used in the same context as Shenmue I; instead, Ryo says 'What the heck?' It's like they gave the game PG-level swearing so the age rating could stay low: 7+ in the UK's Xbox version; I'm sure it's similar in other countries.

I know this seems minor, but I honestly prefer a little bit of swearing. Not simply for the sake of profanity, and certainly nowhere near to the extent of GTA games, but somewhere around Shenmue I's level so it could add a layer of authenticity when you're fighting thugs and gangsters. Shenmue II's lack of swearing almost makes the game comical at times, i.e. especially with Dou Niu ''Damn you! You rats etc'' and can take away from the realism. Although, making Dou Niu comical may have been a deliberate choice idk (I mean we are talking about some huge, bald, sumo-wrestler-looking guy here), but there could have been some swearing with the other thugs you meet.

So, I guess I'm wondering, would anyone like some level of swearing to be in Shenmue III, preferably as rare and mild as it was in Shenmue I? I honestly don't think, in this day and age, and especially with the fact that most Shenmue fans are over 18 years old, there's a need to refrain from any swearing for the sake of reducing the age rating. Even people younger than 18 are accustomed to swearing in videogames everywhere.

I think this could also make for an interesting interview question to ask Yu Suzuki; I don't see any reason why he wouldn't answer it haha.
by Abraham_1
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #76: Say Hello to the Deep Silver Promotion Team

I'm assuming Deep Silver has decided that it's best not to show parts of the game's development until it's more solid. This could be good; it would mean The Dev Room Reports are less useless and have more content in them.
by Abraham_1
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: worries about the physical edition of shenmue 3

I personally don't think creating physical copies is too much of a hassle for YSnet. What could be a hassle is the higher tiers like the collector's edition I picked.

Furthermore, there would be uproar if they sent people digital copies before physical ones; I highly doubt that will happen. When they release Shenmue III, they have to meet the backers' rewards otherwise there will be severe backlash, which could affect how well it reviews.
by Abraham_1
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pretty good model comparison

https://i.imgur.com/IGB77Wx.jpg

The proportions are definitely a little off. Ryo looks chubbier in the new version; this is especially clear in his face region. He needs a more defined jawline like in the original. He's a martial artist after all and exercsises regularly.

I also prefer the original's contrast in colours; it gives it a more artistic look which is necessary for a low budget game. The newer one's colours look somewhat bland in comparison, I.e. Look at Ryo's jacket. Maybe the saturation of the photos is different idk, but I think it should be more colourful especially since it's set in a rural environment (though with that being said the environments themselves do look great and colourful in Shenmue 3).
by Abraham_1
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

You're just now starting to feel silly about yourself? pheew
I’m a lot more confident about Shenmue HD happening right now, than I ever was about Shenmue 3 coning out before it was announced. Shenmue 3 happened and I’m pretty sure HD will happen too.

There’s a lot of evidence suggesting it will happen, again, far more evidence than we had for Shenmue 3.
by Abraham_1
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Does Anyone Here actually like Life Simulation in Games?

We always hear Shenmue referred to as a life simulator of sorts and this is what I think divides people on it. The simulating life nature of Shenmue is really something you either love or hate. But in saying that, I’m surprised that so many Shenmue fans don’t like simulation games. Yes, I know Shenmue is not a simulation game, but an action adventure with simulation aspects; however, I’ve met fans who don’t like simulation in games generally, but love Shenmue’s immersion and lifelike aspects. It’s confusing haha.

Anyway, that’s a little off-topic but thought it was worth mentioning. Does anyone here like simulation games? I personally love games which simulated real life, including its mundane aspects, such as The Sims, Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley,, Persona, Deadly Premonition. It’s my favourite way to get immersed in a world.
by Abraham_1
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: E3 2018: Can Shenmue III afford to miss this year?

Of course Shenmue 3 will be at E3 this year if it actually comes out this year. If Sony took the risk with showing the Kickstarter in 2015, they will obviously show the game itself at E3. Remember the backlash they got for showing a kickstarter at E3?
by Abraham_1
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic