Search found 49 matches

Return

Re: Shenmue 3 Logo Question | Facebook & Twitter Feedback

Man, the amount of idiots on Facebook is quite concerning. I especially laugh at the fools that say "just give us the game, release it already etc." As if they can magically whip it up out of thin air. They have no idea how much passion and effort has gone into Shenmue III. Just armchair losers that need to get a life.
by Shenmue_Legend
Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

I can't understand all the people who are saying so much bullshit about a work in progress game. They must be trolls or spoilt people.
I know right? Honestly, the vicious response this project has gotten from the gaming community since the day it was announced kind of makes me almost want to quit video games forever after Shenmue 3/4 is released.

Don't forget Shenmue V! But you know, after Shenmue I'll do the same. I mean, there will most likely never be a saga as great as Shenmue is ever again, so why not go out on a high note?! Or I could play only Shenmue and no other video game forever!
by Shenmue_Legend
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 3 trailer is FINALLY HERE!!

Nevermind trolls and haters, I don't think we should blame regular gamers and journalists for looking at the trailer and saying that it's not good enough: unlike us, they may not know that it's WIP, but let's be objective: have you ever seen a trailer showing footage in such a state? Trailers are supposed to show off what the game will look like when released. Be honest: it this was the trailer for another game, wouldn't you have been at least concerned?

No because it's already astounding. Of course the models still aren't quite there yet and there's some other issues but overall, a solid showing. Imagine how it'll look like a year from now! Shenmue III will certainly be a masterpiece.

Also, DoubleO_Ren, this is the perfect Shenhua http://i.imgur.com/wmpbeDH.jpg
by Shenmue_Legend
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ryo's animation is good. The fisherman's one has something wrong and his very unpolished design makes the whole scene not to take seriously.

My brother no longer plays video games and has no time to follow the news but did beat Shenmue 2 and often watched myself playing the games in the past. He's not as fan as me but does enjoy the franchise. He told me that he fail to understand why YSnet showed this trailer to the world if the game shape is not ready enough.

Really? The fisherman? The whole scene is made more awesome because of him. You can clearly see he is a skilled martial artist by the way he reads and blocks Ryo's attacks. He only moves when he needs to. Minimal movement as he knows he's at the right range to avoid the attack and when he does use head movement, it's very subtle (you can see this when he evades Ryo's kick). It's supposed to be intentional.
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Screens + Note From Yu via Playstation Blog

It's no secret that the franchise had it from as early on as the Saturn era.

I don't mind inner chi, the energy of the earth, or even some more mystical stuff.

But that flying sword (really out of nowhere), is just too much and too in your face for a game that was mostly realistic to that point.

You can have the sword react to Shenhua, without the electricity, you can have the fire without the magical laser, and the sword floating it's just too much for my taste. You can downplay it in various ways, the sword doesn't fit, Shenhua puts the hand in it and it slides easily, the wind starts blowing inside the cave, and the torches start flaming one by one like in the original game. There's still that "something weird happened here", but you keep the mystery and don't unnecessarily break the immersion (like they did with shenhua and the flowers).

Like really, how will the game progress having somewhat a realistic approach and mundane life after you saw a magical sword flying and shooting lasers ?

Disagree. Magic is awesome, period, so with the addition of magic it has the potential to really take Shenmue above and beyond. With magic, it's potential to be even more amazing and awesome increases dramatically. Without a doubt, it definetly should be included, otherwise it's not going to be as interesting or badass.
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Game Watch Japan Interview with Yu Suzuki @Gamescom 2017

Here it is, a full translation of the GAME Watch interview. Enjoy!

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/08/game-watch-interview-with-yu-suzuki.html

Very interesting... this seems to confirm that the fighting controls will be radically different than what we experienced in the previous games. Maybe something that's more simplified, like pressing a button for attack or defend that will unleash a flurry of appropriate moves, rather than combinations of punch/kick/guard buttons? Just speculating.

I really, really, REALLY hope this isn't true. I don't want a simplified combat system, I want a deep, complex and technical one. It should evolve from Shenmue and Shenmue II. It better not be similar to the combat systems of the Batman Arkham series or Sleeping Dogs because their combat was pretty dull and bad. They are examples of oversimplified controls and I do not want that at all.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Unlike Shenmue II it won't use the Virtua engine."

I think the old fighting system would age Shenmue 3 terribly.
I'd welcome a new system, look at the Batman Arkham games, the way you chain, block and counter attack is stunning to watch and flows beautifully.
It would be perfect for a martial arts themed game.

What? No, no, no, NO! They should stay as far away as possible from that awful system. One button to attack and one button to counter? It is beyond terrible. Shenmue I and II still have the best fighting system out of any adventure type game, it is definetly better than the Batman Arkham series. Having said that though, it seems like no game has quite got the art of combat down quite right. They're still far away from reaching the pinnacle.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I would be happy with a "prettier" and "simpler" system to be honest. I was never a huge fan of the technical difficulty of the previous games when it came to combat. Something with more of a flow would be great. I want to see Ryo kicking ass in a cool manner.

This is what I hope for. forget Arkham. This is what it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cczaK6PA7Ng

Great, so a slightly better version of the Arkham games? No thanks. If you want to see Ryo "kicking ass in a cool manner" then with my idea of a combat system, you yourself would have to be skilled enough in order to do so. It's like in a fight, you wished you could beat 10 men or even beat a bully or something. You could wish all you want but in order to actually achieve it, you must be good enough. Same applies here.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the old fighting system would age Shenmue 3 terribly.
I'd welcome a new system, look at the Batman Arkham games, the way you chain, block and counter attack is stunning to watch and flows beautifully.
It would be perfect for a martial arts themed game.

What? No, no, no, NO! They should stay as far away as possible from that awful system. One button to attack and one button to counter? It is beyond terrible. Shenmue I and II still have the best fighting system out of any adventure type game, it is definetly better than the Batman Arkham series. Having said that though, it seems like no game has quite got the art of combat down quite right. They're still far away from reaching the pinnacle.

I'd say Yakuza was the best.
And Shenmues fighting the best?.. come on.. I love Shenmue but it was horrible and clunky even back then.

I appreciate the reply man, thank you.

After reading all that it really sounds like Arkham and Sleeping Dogs like combat, yeah the combat in Sleeping Dogs is pretty but Shenmue had you feeling tense. It made you want to learn moves and practise so you can get better and utilize those moves in combat to make it easier. Catering to the Kyle Hilliard's (See Game Informer Shenmue/II Let's Play) of gamers sounds like a mistake, the people that just want to beat the bad guy instantaneously without any skill or training. Yes games should be fun but part of the thrill, part of that fun is that feeling you get when you put in the work, trained learned some combo's and use it to beat that difficult boss finally, that's all part of the fun. It gives you an amazing feeling of accomplishment and let's you feel more immersed in the world especially when it's not a retry and you have to find those bad guys again as a result of your failure and Shenmue is all about that kind of immersion.

I felt Arkham combat to be far more tactical than Shenmue, it was simple (which I feel is right up Yu's alley) but was all about mastering timing.
Shenmue combat was just button mashing, I don't think I've ever had to repeat a battle maybe with the exception of a couple in Shenmue 2.
Training was never really important and since you never knew when a battle was going to take place (unless your 2nd playthrough) you never had to focus on getting better.. you just kept repeating the same battle but finding 1 move to exploit.

What? Yakuza has a reptitive and boring combat system. It is actually just button mashing, which Shenmue is definetly not (I don't know what game you played, but Shenmue's combat system is definetly not just "button mashing"). Also, the combat of the Batman games is "far more tactical"? No, absolutely not. The Batman games have ONE button to attack (unless you count the Cape stun, which I'm not) and ONE button to counter, it's like it was designed for babies. Compared to Shenmue where you don't just mash one button to attack, you actually have to input different commands for different attacks. Unlike in the Batman games, you actually have a large variety of attacks at your disposal (and it actually requires skill to pull them off, whereas in the Arkham series you just keep pressing one button and see Batman execute other attacks without you having to put any effort into it). In addition to this, Shenmue has dodges, counters, throws AND throw teching. Now please tell me how it is more tactical?
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dengeki and 4Gamer interviews quick translations

I want him to make at the most five games. The longer this series stretches the more likely we'll never know how it ends. If he can finish it in four games and tell the story he wants to tell I would be more than happy. In a perfect world he would get five games or even six if he had enough content. But realistically I think four to five games is all we should expect.

To be honest, I don't care if I see Shenmue end or not. It's more than just the story that makes it special, it's a lot of other things. Rather than having a half-assed conclusion or one where lots of stuff is cut away from it, I would much prefer to have no conclusion at all in this case. I really hope the saga at the very least goes up to Shenmue V. You know, the ending is just a bonus. If it means that we get a rushed Shenmue game that's clumped together just to see a conclusion, then I definitely don't want it.
by Shenmue_Legend
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, it's almost like people wait for a chance to spit all the hate they have inside.

There aren't armies of Shenmue haters waiting in the shadows to come out and shit on the game. The last game came out over 15 years ago so the majority of gamers today probably have no history with the series, let alone anything around the time of the Dreamcast so all they see was a trailer for a game with terrible animation. The bad publicity for the last Mass Effect made that game a failure in the eyes of EA for the exact same thing as was shown in this trailer.

Overall the decision to release this trailer with it's flaws is baffeling. The trailer may have had 700k views but the game only sold 70k copies on Kickstarter and there wasn't much there to convince the other 630k who viewed it to buy this series. The general gaming community are who they need to market towards, not us who have already bought the game. I enjoyed seeing the trailer like the rest of you but taking off my rose tinted glasses it's not just because people are haters or idiots that they're shitting on the trailer. To anyone without an attachment to the series it's not something they'll be spending $60 on based on that trailer. If I wasn't a Shenmue fan and watched that I wouldn't even bother watching the next trailer. YsNet really need to think carefully about how they market this going forward.

But the trailer was great so I don't see what the problem is. I mean, the only bad points were the Ryo and Shenhua models (I'm very picky in this regard though because I want them to look like a specific way and nothing less!)and the facial animations (though I didn't even notice them until some people pointed them out, and I still don't really!) The plus sides to the trailer were the astonishing environments, incredible fight scenes and the whole overall Shenmue feel that it had. It's certainly a win in my book!
by Shenmue_Legend
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and my concerns

The solution certainly isn't resurrecting an engine from 1999 and trying to make it work in 2018/2019. That's where the post really goes off the rails. You won't hear me say a bad thing about Shenmue II, but I've got to be honest: the game was starting to look dated when it came out in the States on the Xbox. I say that as someone who considers it the greatest video game OF ALL TIME.

Sure, nostalgia/vintage stuff is charming, but it's time to move on. What you want would seal the game's fate as an obscure novelty before it even comes out.

What? Shenmue II looked fantastic. It never looked "dated". Seriously, you consider it to be the greatest video game of all time and yet in the same sentence you say it was "starting to look dated"? Oh well it's your opinion, but I don't think it's true at all.
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shenmue 1 & 2 Pack for PS4 Xbox One Possibly Leaked!!!WT

TwiceFriedRice wrote: Okami HD was also just leaked by the same retailers at the same time as Shenmue HD Collection and was just confirmed today.

So, that makes things a little more interesting.

WHAT?! Okami? Excuse me while I go scream my head off and jump around in joy!
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Shenmue bomber jacket from Insert Coin Clothing

Found an incredible jacket that is pretty much exactly identical to Ryo's. Just need to get all the custom patches like the tiger and stuff and it will look 100% accurate! http://i.imgur.com/uBFnlKC.jpg
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

well,old shenmue combat system isn't aged well,strange collision,fucked camera,fight in first person(during shenmue2)and problem with multiple enemy at time.That combat can appeal only diehard fan,for today standard is shit,but shenmue 3 must use the batman system?no thanks

Sounds like you just sucked at it. Anyway, what do you mean by "today's standards"? If we're talking about quality, then today's games aren't anything amazing. There aren't any action-adventure type games that have better combat than the Shenmue series and even if there are, Shenmue is certainly one of the best in this aspect. So yeah, I don't get the "isn't aged well" thing you said. It couldn't be further from the truth!
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Will You Be Nice To Shenhua?

Tsubasa wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: No. She's Nozomi 2.0 on the annoying scale. I'd probably push her off that prologue cliff if I could.

My hero!!! :beerchug:

Shenhua --> most borring character ever

Not even close. She's one of the best actually.
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki: "I can make the whole game you imagined"

I'm pretty happy with what I saw in the trailer. Being able to expand it to be what Yu Suzuki has always wanted Shenmue 3 to be is an incredible dream come true. Not just for him, but for all of us fans as well. I'm really excited and I'm hoping that this game does well enough that it pushes passed the criticisms of modern day skeptics and trolls and allows YsNet to create a fourth and final game in the series. Having an ending... a conclusion to the narrative has been a long time coming.

No. Four games is too less. There needs to be at least five. And besides, it's better to end on a V rather than a IV! Shenmue isn't just about the story, so why are you in such a hurry to see a conclusion? It's the gameplay, the immersion, the atmosphere, the adventure etc. and many other elements of Shenmue that makes it so special. It's the whole experience that is really important, the story is just one part of it. I would much prefer to have the full on experience with nothing taken away from it so that we can see everything that is supposed to happen, rather than a game with lots of content stripped from it (which is what would pretty much happen if it ends on IV) just to get a conclusion. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I would rather have no conclusion at all than a half-baked one!
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

It's just a test video showing off some work in progress facial animations. Why are people crying about this? It is in no way, shape or form indicative of the final product so why are some idiots treating it like that? Damn, gamers are a freaking whiny bunch.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue 3 and memories

Ok, I must admit some of the stuff he's said here has me worried. I thought the partnership with Deep Silver meant that they had all the money that they needed but unfortunately, it seems like they still need a lot more in order for Shenmue III to be at its peak. Come on, somebody needs to give Suzuki-san anything he needs. It'll be very sad if after Shenmue III is released, I'll be wondering how amazing it could have been with a full budget. Especially since it seems like some things are going to be affected quite a lot. E.g. The graphics are not going to be top notch(I don't care about graphics much but maybe this is why the character models are off), it may not be fully voiced and that npcs won't have the incredibly detailed life cycle system that they had in the previous installments.

Also, I don't like the fact that they want to make the gameplay simpler just because that's what modern games are doing. This is a big no, no, no for me because that is one of the biggest problems with games today. They cater too much to casuals and so the depth and complexity is not at its peak. I thought Yu-san wasn't influenced by modern media? I remember reading something about him saying that he "doesn't play any games or watch movies" or something like that because of this. If anything, why doesn't he add on from the combat of Shenmue and Shenmue II by making it even more deep and complex. Like real martial arts, there should be a lot of depth and "art" to it. You don't go to a dojo or something and expect the sensei to turn you into a black belt by removing a lot of the intricacies of the art thus giving you a false sense of security. Long post I know, but I had to get it off my chest!
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

That's bollocks. He's done fuck all wrong really other than posting summat that you happen to disagree with. It's not as if he's just gone "Shanmu 3z guna b shit lulz", he just has a different opinion. It's not really grounds for banning someone, is it?

"Leniency"? No offense, but that was sound so childishly patronising. He voiced his opinion on a public forum.

You can't condone people for expecting professional standards, regardless of it being a crowdfunded project or not. More than graphics and details, it's a directing issue. There's enough of a budget for a shorter, story-rich experience, one in which the standards of realism and environment of the original instalments wouldn't need sacrificing. People are fooling themselves too, if they believe this is "merely developmental", "that it's a WIP and there's still one whole year to go". I mean, technically, it is but it's not like the animations will turn fucking stellar from this point on, now is it?

Of course they will. It is still early in development and also at LEAST a year left before it's released. There is a lot of time left. Taking these factors into account, it'd be very stupid to treat this footage like it's the final product when it is definetly nowhere close yet.
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to Change Someone's Mind?

Your friend actually said that while he plays crap like Destiny?! That's pretty stupid.
by Shenmue_Legend
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

I've just seen in twitter this post:
https://twitter.com/shenmuelegend/status/923618274952253440

And this one
https://twitter.com/shenmuelegend/status/912043575042560005

I thought It'd be interesting to share with you all :-)

ShenmueLegend is a guy on this forum right? I swear he is that guy who has been tweeting at Bill Gates and loads of famous boxers asking them to fund Shenmue 3 :???:

Thought I'd also post:
https://www.dualshockers.com/sony-paris-games-week-announce-seven-ps4-new-games/

Interested, but keep a level head people.

Wrong. That isn't me. Anyway, if there is a Shenmue HD one day, I hope it's a remake of the first two. That would be great! However, since this is Sega we're talking about here, I doubt it. They're too busy recycling their Sonic games over and over again. Too lazy to put in the effort for a remake so they'll probably do a cheap remaster.
by Shenmue_Legend
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is Tom Johnson Black?

Hey everyone,

I have a dumb question, and if I offend anyone, then please understand that I don't teally mean to.

I'm currently working on a follow-up to our short film Shenmue: 'Suka High called Shenmue: Yokosuka Blues. The short features Goro and Tom. I posted a picture of myself and my cousin in costume, portraying Goro and Tom. I received a text not long after from my other cousin saying I should be careful posting pictures of the Tom costume because people may be offended. Keep in mind that the cousin who texted me this is the definition of "offended by EVERYTHING ".

Now, growing up with the game, I never thought Tom was a black character. American, yes. But at the very least ethnically ambiguous. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. But I just wanted to question the Shenmue fandom, as this is ultimately who we are making this film for, abd your opinons matter to me.

Wait, you're THE Leroy Nguyen? Wow, all this time I never realised that. Glad to see a guy like you on the forums, I'm sure we all appreciate it. Loved 'Suka High by the way!
by Shenmue_Legend
Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best character model of Ryo (poll).

Everyone keeps saying 1, 2 and 4 are the same model, but isn't 4 the Shenmue Online model? I get that it's derived from the promotional art model but anyway, for all Shenmue Online's shortcomings as a concept, Ryo looked awesome in that trailer.

IMO it's by far and away the best model to date because it put the "promotional Ryo" in motion. Promotional model is always how I envisioned Ryo would look if not for the hardware limitations of the Dreamcast.

Oops, sorry for the confusion! It is now 1, 3 and 5 because I added the 2nd model recently so the order has been switched up due to that. I agree. Many here want the Shenmue I and II models of Ryo but I believe they can aim above and beyond even them (don't get me wrong, the Dreamcast models are still amazing so it's not like I dislike them or anything, it's the exact opposite in fact) by using the promo models. I mean, they were always of an even higher quality than the originals so I think one of them should be the aim. I personally think it's either the 3rd or 2nd one but I like the SO Ryo too so you can't really go wrong with either of them.
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: With or without seconds hand?(Ryo's watch)

I've mentioned previously that I'll be getting a custom watch made, which will be an exact replica of Ryo's. However, I'm not sure whether to add a seconds hand or not. Ryo's watch doesn't have one but the other Timex models have a red seconds hand. I don't know. Can anyone help me out here?!
You already have the answer :)

http://i67.tinypic.com/sbjymr.jpg
by Shenmue_Legend
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's the music that plays in this Shenmue Online video

It is the elegantly titled "Total Network Ranking". ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPVGSz1ThcE&index=77&list=PLC774B2F232D2DD98

Different arrangements of that tune can be heard a few times in Shenmue I as well. There's a traditional Japanese version of it in one of the sushi places, and you hear it a wee bit towards the end of the cutscene where the old woman asks Ryo to find the Yamamoto house.

Wow, thank you so much! You sure do know your stuff, keep it up =D>
by Shenmue_Legend
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why isn't Sega funding Shenmue III?

Well, the series cost them a lot of money and there wasn't really any proof that there was a huge demand for the series outside of hardcore fans before the Kickstarter.

I know but that was "before" the highly successful Kickstarter. After Shenmue became the highest funded Kickstarter game ever, shouldn't that have gave them more than enough of a reason to help it out? Even the teaser trailer has got more than 700K views so all of this should have shown Sega that Shenmue III is a big thing.
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania

I just wanted to say that I LOVE Sonic Heroes! One of my most favourite Sonic games ever. That is all :D
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Shenmue 3 Effect: What could go wrong or right

If they had all the funding that they needed to revolutionise and innovate once again, then Shenmue III would easily get 10/10s on many sites, just like The Last Of Us. But then again, critics and modern gamers nowadays have terrible taste and love any old crap (COD games still getting great reviews is the perfect example of this) but when it comes to the good stuff, they don't recognise it because they've been brainwashed by all the bad stuff. Only true gamers really appreciate masterpieces like Shenmue. I guess we'll have to wait and see but in terms of the experience and quality, Shenmue III is going to be absolutely top notch just like Shenmue I and II.
by Shenmue_Legend
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The main reason I want the series to end with Shenmue 3 is because of the following -

The original game was released on the Dreamcast. Great console but didn't have the widest audience so many people frankly don't know about Shenmue. In addition to this, they are releasing the third installment 17 years after the second game was released. Some people who weren't born back then are now having children of their own to give you an idea of how long it has been. In other words, not many people know about this and unfortunately it's not the AAA development it once was way back when. All this leads to what I suspect will be mediocre sales. Hopefully this will be mitigated by the lower development cost but there is a half decent chance that sales won't be great and the series once again cancelled.

Nah, 3 games is way too less. I don't want to miss anything that Ryo goes through just to see a rushed ending. And besides, it's not just about the story it's about the whole experience. I want to experience everything and do not want any parts left out. It should go up to at least 5 games.
by Shenmue_Legend
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If Shenmue III comes actually good (not looking like a half baked indie game, that is, not even trying to compare to AAA games), it has a good chance of succeeding.

There is a great market in ps4 and pc that even niche games can be very profitable, and in the "Shenmue niche" there's nothing right now or in store (maybe yakuza, and the last one was deadly premonition).

We just have to wait.

My thoughts, almost exactly. You know, I think the "only" things Yu needs to make sure for S3 are three things:

1) S 3 needs to be a smooth and bug-free experience. Don't deliver the game in an unfinshed or broken state. Don't rely on patches or any shit like that. I know that's a lot to ask from an indie game (or any game, really) but this is absolutely crucial. The physical version they put out needs to be strictly on point.

2) The fighting system needs to be great and it needs to stand out. This will be S 3's bread & butter business. Shenmue has been a martial arts-themed series from the very beginning and that's Shenmue's chance to shine, given the fact that there are not many games with good hand-to-hand combat as most games rely on shooting combat.

QTE battles may be thrown in there to spice up the action sometimes, and nobody does them as good as Yu imho, but the Free Battle System is where it counts. It needs to be really good. And I mean at least Yakuza 0 good, preferably better than that.

3) The game needs to look ok graphics-wise. Nobody expects anything like Uncharted 4 but they can't fuck up the facial expressions or put out anything that looks like a PS2 game.

If they get these three points right, S3 will have a lot going for itself as a game. It will have some fantastic characters such as Ren, Shenhua, Lan Di, Niao Sun, Chai and many more. It will have a fantastic soundtrack. The story will be very intriguing, seeing all those interesting characters intertwined with Ryo & Shenhua, the mirrors and Iwao's death. Plus it's also go its setting against the backdrop of the Guilin region, one of the most beautiful places of the entire planet earth.

Taking all that into account, S3 has a reasonable chance of being at least successsful enough to make Deep Silver or even Sega cough up the money for a fourth (and probably final) game.

Ok first of all, Shenmue I and II already have one of the best combat systems out of any game ever (not just within its genre, where it is unquestionably the best). I mean unless they make the combat worse somehow in Shenmue III (not likely at all, considering this is Yu Suzuki we're talking about so he'll make sure it's better), then it's already guaranteed to be way better than the Yakuza games. Secondly, there's absolutely no way that Suzuki-san will release Shenmue III with it looking like a "PS2 game" and having bad facial expressions. I mean come on. These guys are professionals and with Yu Suzuki in charge, he will make sure the final product is something that he's happy with and what everyone else will be happy with too. Lastly, 4 games is also too less. I don't think you can say "probably final" considering that we haven't played Shenmue III yet so we won't know until the conclusion of it.
by Shenmue_Legend
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ Troll or not, views like the one above is what alienate gamers outside the Shenmue fanbase. Games nowadays have been better than ever. Advances in technology allow so much complexity and depth in gameplay on modern games that if all future Shenmue titles will do is update its graphics, then the series will surely be bound to be just one of those indie projects that all that is aiming to do is capture the feeling of the past gaming eras.

QTEs are so obsolete by now as cinematic action moments can be done in gaming without them (see the Uncharted series) and fighting in 3D space has gone such a long way since Shenmue (see For Honor). It would be such a downgrade in vision by Yu Suzuki, a designer known to always innovate with each creation, to just follow the old mechanics of the previous titles to a tee.

What is this "complexity and depth" you speak of? That's absolutely so untrue. If anything, nowadays games are the exact opposite because they cater to casuals so much. Let's take a fighting game as an example. Street Fighter V. Even Yoshinori Ono himself admitted that they simplified the gameplay so that casuals could get into it. And For Honor? Seriously? For Honor's combat isn't even martial arts based, it's developed entirely around the use of weapons so they're not really comparable. And besides, it's combat isn't better than Shenmue. That's for sure. Look I've played many modern and games from the past alike. Things like Uncharted 4, The Last Of Us, Ocarina Of Time, Okami etc. Shenmue is better than every single one of them.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is this "complexity and depth" you speak of? That's absolutely so untrue. If anything, nowadays games are the exact opposite because they cater to casuals so much.
As example, look at the strategy genre scene of today. In games of the past most battles are confined within an area, at most maybe civilizations fighting each other for the dominance of a planet. Nowadays, there are games (see Planetary Annihilation) that take battles on multiple fronts: land, air, space, other planets... Simultaneously! While someone has his full focus on securing a victory within a planet, another is losing battle after battle to diverge attention from the fact that he dedicated all his resources instead on building up a Death Star type of weapon from space with the end goal of pulverizing said planet altogether with the enemy main army and win galactic war. Can you really go back and play old Starcraft 1 after knowing that there are games out there with a much grander scope and vision?

Street Fighter V. Even Yoshinori Ono himself admitted that they simplified the gameplay so that casuals could get into it.
Having simplified gameplay is not the same as being a less complex game. Just looking at the myriads of block, counter and gauge mechanics already tell me SF V has come a long way since the days of SF II. If the game was just truly made for the casual crowd, I find it hard to believe that it would still be featured on EVO championships year after year, and played by professional gamers around the world.

And For Honor? Seriously? For Honor's combat isn't even martial arts based, it's developed entirely around the use of weapons so they're not really comparable.
Yes, seriously go look at the concept of martial arts first. And that was not my point anyway. For Honor has refined 3D fighting mechanics with concepts such as targeting specific body parts, stamina based attack and defense, terrain advantage and even using it as a weapon. It's simply not just a 2D fighting mechanic transported to a 3D space like most of the genre.

And besides, it's combat isn't better than Shenmue. That's for sure.
Sure. Keep telling yourself that. I got no problem with it.

Look I've played many modern and games from the past alike. Things like Uncharted 4, The Last Of Us, Ocarina Of Time, Okami etc. Shenmue is better than every single one of them.
So tell that to Bill Gates ASAP and have those $15M running already.

Actually Uncharted uses QTE's quite a lot, mostly in set pieces and I think Shenmue can learn a lot from it. It mostly does it in a more subtle fashion than Shenmue did and the commands don't always pop up on your screen, but still there are a lot of momemnts where you are on some kind of battlefield having a shootout with the bad guys but no matter what you do, you'll always have to pass one specific point on the map and once you pass that point, this huge guy appears out of nowhere and starts choking Drake and you have to repaetedly tap the button displayed on screen. If you fail to register x amount of button presses during a set time frame, you die.
You are right. All I was trying to say is that we do not need to conform ourselves with the archaic input on screen to get that cinematic moment fix in our games today.

Um, Super Smash Bros is played at Evo as well. Does that mean it's a deep and technical fighting game that isn't for casual players? Of course not. I don't really care what fighting games professionals play or not. That doesn't prove that the game is complex just because they play it. In fact, a simpler and more easier game with a lower skill cap means that they have a higher chance of winning so really, there should actually be more of them playing it! The Street Fighter series is one of the many examples that shows modern does not equal better. 3rd Strike is still the best Street Fighter even though it's older. And SF2 is way better than V. I've played the latter and it's one of the worst (IV is THE worst)in the series.

Well really, the only thing that transfers over from martial arts into weapon fighting is the footwork (which is the most important thing). I don't know much about fighting with weapons so I can't say anything else but I know that footwork is the most important thing for both. Also, in Shenmue you can attack different body parts too. You can classify it as "targeting" because if you know which moves hit whichever part of the body, then you can exclusively target that area or whatever. Shenmue's combat is much more fluid and smoother. Not to mention the fights also look way better. And the diversity, variety and the uniqueness of the moves also adds on to all this.

Finally, the QTEs in Shenmue are done better than any game and are unrivaled in their awesomeness and nostalgia! They're not mindlessly used without reason, they're appropriately placed for the right situations. I LOVE hearing the "beep, beep, beep, BLINK!", sounds cool. The QTEs in Shenmue are not annoying or a chore like most games, they're very special and actually add on to the experience.
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ You make it look like the average casual gamer cannot enjoy anything other than Candy Crush and that "hardcore" games repel them.

That's exactly right though. You only have to look at the crap that they play. Since they have bad tastes and they've been playing so many bad games over the years, their minds have been brainwashed into thinking that they're actually great. Things like GTA and COD are the most popular gaming franchises today, and that tells me everything I need to know about the "average casual gamer".
by Shenmue_Legend
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

for the record shenmue 1 got bombarded with terrible review scores by pro's and consumers alike, upon release.

The great majority of Shenmue reviews I do remember were positive.

There has been the Gamespot review case, but I'm pretty sure the reception was mostly positive back at the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue#Reception

Not to mention that the Gamespot review is the only game review in history to have the score changed due to the amount of flack that the reviewer got for it. The review score was changed from a 6.8 to a 7.8 and if you read the comments, most people said that a 7.8 is also too low.
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

shenmue 2 got much better reviews, but 88 isn't anything great though. shenmue one got about a 7.8. major magazines and websites were flaming the game big time and consumers as well. it got tons of bad reviews and press over it.

Shenmue I got a 9.7/10 on IGN. The Gamespot review had a lot of people in the comments section absolutely mocking the reviewer and many there praised it as the greatest game of all time. It got a 9.1 on Gamespot overall after more than 2000 user reviews and Gamespot's community is known to be cancerous. Seriously what are these "tons of bad reviews and press"? I couldn't find any bad reviews at all in fact. For a site dedicated to Shenmue, there sure are a lot of negative people around here.
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He's a hero! Japanese people are the most kindest and best (excluding the idiots at Sega of course!). Do you know any other rich person that is involved with Sega?

http://cdn-uploads.gameblog.fr/images/dossiers/ITV-Suzuki-Gamescom/Yu-Suzuki-Fans-Gamescom-2017.jpg

Yu Suzuki thinking: "I lost Sega with Shenmue 1 and 2, but I'm writing autographs for my fans, I am a success bigger than Sega with Shenmue 3!

On Topic: Shenmue 3 could very well end up getting similar review scores (on metacritic) to Shenmue 2. This is because if you look at the critic consensus it is usually generally positive and there could be slight similarity from the press, reviewers (media in general) when it releases. I for one believe that the game isn't gonna tank so hard ending with lower than at least 50% of review scores. As I mentioned before the beginning of the release is crucial because everybody will be looking into the game pretty much at the same time so that's what justifies these scores. I obviously do not care what is rated for Shenmue 3 as it holds a great score in my heart but it will be fun to see and I will be paying attention to it from media sources such as IGN, Gamespot etc.

10/10. You heard it here first!
by Shenmue_Legend
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Looks great to me and I'm incredibly picky.

Looks like a natural evolution of the in-game models of the first two games, this kind of model is highly dependant on animation quality, so hopefully that's up to par.

I'm hearing nothing but good news recently, that person in resetera is just trying to bait people, it's obvious, but he's using wording and phrasing that are difficult to moderate. If he continues after that moderator warning then I'd guess action will be taken against him. Most people there seem positive and realistic.

All this outsourcing for bulk NPC work etc and partnership with deep silver and nothing but positive, a tiny team and a tiny budget wouldn't even be able to afford outsourcing to such a well known company for supplemental work. Deep silvers deep pockets must be coming into play here and it's great news.

Your profile pic is creepy! You know, I wonder if Deep Silver would give Yu Suzuki the "10 times the amount of our current budget" that he mentioned. It would be cool!
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's about the skin/plastic feel, but I really don't want to keep ranting about it.

Ok. But if we can get models like the Shenhua one I posted, I believe that would be the best path. Rather than going for hyper realism which isn't really a unique direction to take, Shenmue should go for its own interesting and unique look to set it apart from the rest of the crowd. Though I'm definitely curious as to how a hyper realistic Ryo would look like! But I still believe that the colourful and vibrant path is the one to take.
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The fact that a 3rd party company has been brought in just now signals to me two things:

A) There has been a recent injection of cashflow, affording the extra manpower.
B) This game isn't seeing the light of day before 2019.

They saw that most people weren't happy with the quality of the character models and decided to invest in it after the deep silver partnership.

And this is what separates Yu Suzuki and his team from modern developers. They genuinely want to create the best game possible for the fans and they listen to their feedback. Unlike today, where most of them are only concerned with how much money they can make so the quality of the game isn't even their main priority, it's all about the money.
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daily Shenmue - Starting November 29th

I have to apologize for not updating recently. I just started a new job and just haven't had the time to sit down and play any Shenmue, unfortunately. I made it through the warehouse on the 14th, and did manage to play once on the 15th, but I haven't played at all since then. Gunna play some today and then write my journal entries tomorrow morning. Since both Monday and Tuesday are my days off. They might be a little less "daily" but I'll at least play catch-up on my days off for what I missed during the week. Anyway, good news is I'm back to playing :)

"New job"? Does that include forklifts?! On a serious note, I love your work so far. It'd probably be a best-selling book! That would be cool actually, to see it from Ryo's perspective! It could be titled something like "Ryo Hazuki: The journey to avenge my father's death"!
by Shenmue_Legend
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Realistic expectations for Shenmue 3, will it deliver?

I expect something that will blow everyone away and become something truly unique and innovative like Shenmue I and II. That's why Shenmue III should try to also add new features and other stuff that gaming has never before seen in order to give you that "wow" factor. Good thing is that's exactly what Yu Suzuki is aiming to do, judging by all the stuff he's said so far. My prediction? 10/10 absolute masterpiece.
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Realistic expectations for Shenmue 3, will it deliver?

I'm expecting nice looking environments (easily done nowadays with photogrammetry), piss poor character models, and an overwhelming feeling of regret over "what could have been".

No doubt a lot of people on here will love it, whereas the rest - and many more "beyond" - will see it as nothing more than what's to be expected from a Kickstarted adventure game aiming for the Steam market.

I've said many times though that this portion of the story probably isn't for me anyway, as the setting is far removed from what made me fall in love with the series.

Obviously I hope it's good and can revitalise the series, based on what I've seen though it just doesn't look all that great. Then again it won't look as it's supposed to for a good while, and we still haven't seen any gameplay, so I could just be talkin utter shite as per.

EDIT: The new logo still looks shite btw. Why haven't they changed it back yet?

Wait I don't get it. Why are you expecting "piss poor character models"? The Lakshya Digital update showed a character model that is pretty great. On par with the CG promo models and basically the same art style (the ideal one, yes!) as them. In time I'm sure we'll be amazed by the final looks of Ryo and Shenhua, just you wait!

I'm also sure they'll change the new logo back to the previous one sometime in the future. Yu Suzuki is probably aware of what the fans want, so it's only a matter of time.
by Shenmue_Legend
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: S3 Preorder on Amazon

I think as long as it doesn't go past 2020, they can release it whenever they want to. Rather have a 10/10 Shenmue III than a rushed one!
by Shenmue_Legend
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic